DBRP: Where will you be on 13.0.0.0.0 (20.12.2012)?

OK, I know it's more than two years away, but the turn of the b'ak'tun only comes around once every five millenia or so, right? I know (or I think, anyway) that a lot of you over in Europe probably don't care quite as much about this, but here in the Esperias we are already quite beside ourselves with anticipation. Some friends and I are talking about heading to Tolan, where the official imperial festival will be complemented nicely by some more fringe parties... either way, quite a scene.

Do any of you buy into the apocalyptic stuff people are throwing around? It seems strongest among the devoutly religious, which is odd - like I tell everybody, the calendar was invented way before Christianity made its way over here... like so many "Christian" ritual elements, it was co-opted by the early missionaries and put to different uses. The first Christians used the Hebrew calendar, and a little later used the Roman one (that's the basis of the anno domini count used in most European churches today.)

I certainly did not mean to add to what looks like a flood of DB threads. I swear I had the idea for this earlier today before it was trendy (embarrased face)

OOC: I guess I'm not surprised this failed to take off. It was kind of weird. My idea for the PoD was a Roman Empire-era Atlantic crossing, resulting in cultural mixing between the Mediterraneans and the Mesoamericans: the Romans introduced Christianity, and the Mesoamericans contributed their math... maybe if I got rid of the 2nd paragraph in my OP, it would make it easier to build off of?

Not sure... working in shipping I normally have to work over some of the holiday season. But I'll probably watch some of the festivities over the 'net.

Well, I can tell you I'm pretty hard at work right now sifting through all of the code looking for BakOne fails. You'd think the management would have gotten a clue from the Y2M fail in Europe and let us start this earlier, but you know how much they love to pinch their dupondii[1].

So, at this point, on 13*, I suspect I'll probably still be working in the computer fora late into the night... and the next night... and the next...

[1] Okay, so it turns out that one of the smallest Roman coins, that would have fit into this idiom better, was the as. English plural asses. But then, they probably wouldn't be speaking English here...

I fully expect to have located both my towel and my Electronic Thumb by that point and have hitched a ride on a passing spaceship. Perhaps we could meet for dinner at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe? :D