Das Dritte Reich: Deutschland's Letzte Gelegenheit

A map of the world at this point. Ares96, excuse me if the occupation zones of Sweden and the USSR within Finland are incorrect. ;)

W1Kas.png

Last edited:
Great map, I love Germany's borders! Why does the U.S.S.R continue to occupy northern India?
Scipio

Thank you, I am glad to know that you like the map and Germany's borders. :) And that's a good question: it's because Stalin wishes to keep his occupied territories at least until the final peace treaties, where the fate of these areas will be decided.

Additional landings in Österbotten:

From July 15 through 18, four regiments of Home Guard, Österbottens Frivilliglegion, as well as the remaining two armoured regiments, are landed in the beachhead around Kaskö. They make preparations to strike at the city of Vasa at the same time as the main invasion force.

The Battle of Vasa:
Vaasa_Trinity_Church.jpg

Vasa's Trinity Church.

On July 20, the order finally arrives to move to Vasa and capture the city. Both the main invasion force as well as the landing force move with haste, but in the city all of the Finnish regiments who have retreated from previous advances are stationed, and so a battle breaks out. Initially only the infantry takes part in the fight, as the armour is sent to sever the supply lines into the city. Later, however, they leave behind three scout batallions and went into the city from the east, thus encircling the Finnish forces from three directions. This onslaught proves too much for the Finns, and they surrender. The commanders and soldiers are given two choices: fight for Sweden or be taken prisoner. The soldiers mostly agree to join the newly established Royal Österbotten Infantry Regiment, but some of the more nationalistic officers decide to rather go to prison camp than serve for a country which is trying to subdue Finland once again.

Kosta

Banned
Korporal, I sent you a message to DDR's Hotmail account about Greek involvement in WWII. I was thinking Greece would be a perfect spot for the Pact of Blood to make base-camp and assault the Axis in the West (sending any troops to attack Italy to the Ionian Islands), the South (using Crete as a base to assault Malta and perhaps even North Africa), and using Anatolia for assaulting the Italians in the Dodecanese (although Crete would work, too) and gaining the British-territories of the Middle East for all the oil, although the PoB has Romania, Dutch East Indonesia, & Russia, we might not need Iraq too much. But, there's always Egypt and the Italian-Libya to assault. I also said the working-together to defeat the British, Free-French, and Italians might actually bring Greeks and Turkish-Communists together, shockingly. Maybe not, but at least working-together might erase outright hostility and make the hostility more verbal than physical. I could then show the World I'm actually involved in DDR and write up some battles. If the Baleares are still Italian as the map-shows, perhaps Greek troops could work with Free-Union troops to rescue the Islands; it'd be a great staging-ground for Greece to sharpen its talons and get its troops some experience, although I don't think the military would have atrophied so much from the Reconquista in Anatolia.

I also believe you said yes to this, but unfortunately I can't remember. What did you say to Saudi Arabia and Germany allying so that Germany promises Saudi Arabia British Arabia and Saudi Arabia is thus much more friendly to the West. The same might go for Egypt, too.

Don't forget to vote in the Turtledove Award thread! And no, this time I'm not campaigning for myself. :)

Thank you man, I almost forgot, I have to find AHN right away, and vote. And, people, please vote for Das Dritte Reich: Deutschlands Letzte Gelegenheit!

Mr.X8, I have replied to your email! Sorry for being so late. :(

Anyways, time for an update. :D

Aufmarschanweisung N°1, Fall Gold

On July 16 1942, Generaloberst Erwin Rommel, after being ordered to elaborate the plan for the invasion of Italy, presents "Aufmarschanweisung N°1, Fall Gold" to the Oberkommando der Reichswehr. According to him, the German border is heavily fortified by Italy, making it a difficult location to launch an invasion from, and therefore the blitzkrieg should be launched from the Alps in southern France. The Schwerpunkt of the operation is located upon the centre of the Po river, around the city of Mantua. Three Army Corps will be created: Armeekorps A will be deployed on the Südwall and Armeekorps B and C will be deployed on the Alpine Line in France. From there Armeekorps B and C will break into Italy along the Po River. Armeekorps B is to flank the Limes Germanicus from behind, allowing Armeekorps A to break through it and enter Italy. In the meantime, the Reichsluftwaffe will bombard enemy units in northwestern Italy, and when the Limes Germanicus falls in all of northern Italy. Armeekorps A destroys all pockets of resistance in the north while Armeekorps C advances southward towards Rome, above which the Reichsluftwaffe has gained air superiority by then. Armeekorps B will march southward to protect the flank of Armeekorps C. After taking Rome, Armeekorps C will march southward into southern Italy while Armeekorps B occupies the capital and destroys all pockets of resistance in the area.

Last edited:
This isn't World War 2, it's Early 20th Century.

WWII (1933-45), yeah, I know. I think I nominated it for early 20th, but that's 1900-32. What exactly is DDR's point of divergance. I know it had to do with the 1933 German Election, but did it diverge before then to prevent the Nazis from being elected... not a majority, but in the position to form a majority coalition government. Curse these parliamentary systems and their coalitions and falling governments... grumble grumble....

True, it's 1925! That's not a problem, The Kiat, I really appreciate the efforts! Thanks again. :)

Anyways, I have a speech by José Antonio Aguirre, after becoming president of the Basque Republic.

Special thanks to my dear friend Oiane for the wonderful translation!!

"Thank you for all your support, Basque people! Our people have had to live under occupation of various foreign powers for too long! No longer shall our people be a slave to another people: we have risen from the ashes of the Kingdom of Navarre, and we will never again let any other nation declare superiority over us! God bless and protect our nation!"

"Eskerrik asko zuen laguntzagatik, Euskal Herritarrok! Gure herria botere atzerritarren mende bizi behar izan da denbora luzeegian! Gure herria ez da sekula berriro beste batzuen esklabo izango: Nafarroako Erreinuko errautsetatik berpiztu gara, eta ez diogu gehiago beste nazio bati gure gain bere nagusitasuna adierazten utziko! Jainkoak gure herria babestu eta bedeinkatuko duelakoan."

Give Oiane an applause! :D

Kosta

Banned
Give Oiane an applause! :D

Certainly the Netherlands must be such a diverse place; you have a Basque friend, you yourself are of Scots and Jewish heritage, German friend, Polish friend, Brazilian friend, and that obnoxious Turkish guy we talked about. Seems I might want to move to the Netherlands; afterall, in a few months I'll be getting dual-citizenship with Greece, and well from there on in the European Union says I can move anywhere I want in the EU and live and work there, too! :D

Is anyone here an expert on Italy during WWII or does anyone who is? I'd like to see how strong the Italian forces were in the Dodecanese so I can write an article on Greece and the Soviets assaulting the Italian forces there. If Italy is anything like OTL, it was trying to Italianise the population and was tearing down traditional homes to build Godawful concrete-block, fascist-style buildings; there might be a revolt on most of the islands, especially from the Jewish population since Evola is such a loon and probably doesn't care for the Jews on the Isle of Rhodes.

Last edited:
I am off to bed now, I am sorry for the lack of updates. My excuse is that I've been having a great lack of time lately. Fortunately the excellent author Ares96 (and now also the excellent author Mr.X8) is there to write and post updates when I do not. :) Tomorrow I'll try to post more updates.

Either way, please continue to vote for Das Dritte Reich: Deutschlands Letzte Gelegenheit. Regardless whether I win or not, I will create a page on the website, and there I'll add each voter's name, as a thanks. And also on the homepage. Continue to vote people! :D

Certainly the Netherlands must be such a diverse place; you have a Basque friend, you yourself are of Scots and Jewish heritage, German friend, Polish friend, Brazilian friend, and that obnoxious Turkish guy we talked about. Seems I might want to move to the Netherlands; afterall, in a few months I'll be getting dual-citizenship with Greece, and well from there on in the European Union says I can move anywhere I want in the EU and live and work there, too! :D

Haha, well most of these are simply internet contactees like you, but the nation is very multicultural for sure and filled with Germans, Poles and Turks. I am happy to hear about your dual-citizenship, congratulations! It'd be awesome if you'd be able to live here in the Netherlands someday - you'll be welcome for sure.

I am not an expert on Italy either, yet here is the long-awaited invasion of Italy...

Invasion of Italy:

During the evening of July 20 1942, Germany initializes Fall Gold. Army Group B and C (under command of Rommel, promoted to the rank of Field Marshall, and Guderian, respectively) launch their offensives into Italy from France, north of the Po River and south of the river, respectively. The Comando Supremo reacts quickly by sending the Italian 1st, 2nd and 4th Armies (under General Remo Gambelli, General Vittorio Ambrosio and General Mario Vercellino respectively) northeastward to meet the German troops. The Italians try in vain to stem the advance of German armour but fail. By the morning of July 21, the Germans reach the Linea Alpi, where the Italians try their luck by launching several counter-attacks which are however broken up by the Reichsluftwaffe and the Armée de l'Air, which have gained air superiority over the border region. The Italian 4th Army is ordered to withdraw to the Linea Evola approximately 100 km from the French border, where they are to be entrenched while the armoured 1st and 2nd Armies stall the advance of the German armour.

S0v4P.png

Italian soldiers on the front

In the Battle of Turin, taking place on 22 and 23 July between the 1st Italian Army and the XI Panzerkorps of Horst Stumpff (consisting of 2 Panzer divisions, part of Armeegruppe B), the Italians manage to disable 230 (of which 73 irreparable) German tanks, while only 98 Fiat M14/41 are destroyed or captured by the XI Panzer Korps of Horst Stumpff. The battle is ends with a voluntary Italian withdrawal towards the Linea Evola: Gambelli succeeded in stalling the German advance. In the meantime, during the Battle of Cuneo between 2nd Italian Army and the XVI and XX Panzerkorps under Erich Hoepner and Hermann Hoth (consisting of three Panzer divisions each, part of Armeegruppe C), the much of the 2nd Army is encircled, but they manage to break through the encirclement, costing them 54 tanks to the Germans (40 of which are captured) and costing the Germans 41 tanks (of which 19 irreparable). After breaking out of the encirclement, the 2nd Italian Army immediately falls back to the Linea Evola after the operational victory. The German Panzerkorps quickly capture the bridgeheads on the Tanaro and Dora Baltea rivers and advance upon the line.

In the meantime, the Regia Aeronautica Italiana and the Reichsluftwaffe (supported by the French Armée de l'Air and to a much lesser extent the Iberian Fuerzas Aéreas) fight heavily for air superiority over the eastern part of the Piemonte region in northeastern Italy. On the morning of July 26, Fallschirmtruppe (paratroopers) from the 1st and 2nd Fallschirmdivision under Hans Geisler execute surprise landings in Parma and on the roads to Turin and Milan. All paratroopers fail miserably and the latter two are captured, but those in Parma manage to escape and decide to flank the Italian troops on the Linea Evola from behind.

Anyways, please remember to vote for this TL! :)

Kosta

Banned
Invasion of Italy:

How ironic- the war was supposed to start with an Italian Invasion of Yugoslavia, and now it's ending with a German Invasion of Italy!

Korporal, now that the Invasion of Italy has begun-are you going to want Greece to aid the Pact more in the Middle Eastern Theatre, Italian Campaign, or both? I'm drawing up a roughdraft of Greece's participation in the War and I had the Greek army (along with the Soviets and French) assault the Italian Dodecanese, Cyprus, Iraq, and Jordan culminating in an assault on Egypt and then once the Middle Eastern Theatre was won, Greece, along with Yugoslavian, Hungarian, and Romanian troops would amass on the island of Kerkyra in the Ionian and invade Italy from the south and meet Germany halfway up the Peninsula. Where I'll have time to fit a siege of Malta and the Invasion of Italian Libya, I don't know :eek::D;)!

Here's the current map:

[IMAGE]

Korporal Nooij's map didn't show the Finnish front properly, so I edited it. By the time I was going to post the update he had already made additional articles, so I edited it again to accomodate them.

Question regarding the map: The Soviet zone in Hungary has no land connection to the USSR:confused: It's not unlikely that Carpatho-Ukraine would have ended up in Soviet hands if it and Germany are dismembering the states of eastern Central Europe anyway.

Question regarding the map: The Soviet zone in Hungary has no land connection to the USSR:confused: It's not unlikely that Carpatho-Ukraine would have ended up in Soviet hands if it and Germany are dismembering the states of eastern Central Europe anyway.

Good conception. :) I was thinking of having Carpathian Ruthenia annexed by the Soviet Union indeed, but since the Red Army has full access through Slovakia anyways, I thought it'd create unnecessary troubles within the Pact at this moment. I think it should happen closer to the end of the war. When Italy is defeated and when Britain is on the verge of capitulating, that is. ;)

Thanks, Wendell. I decided to make a little article about Carpatho-Ruthenia.

Soviet Annexation of Carpatho-Ruthenia:

Following the Slovak proclamation of independence, Carpatho-Ruthenia declares its independence on May 28 1942 as the Republic of Carpatho-Ukraine under President Avhustyn Voloshyn. On the next day, Red Army troops enter the nation, forcing the Carpatho-Ukrainian irregulars to route. Later that day, the territory is formally annexed into the Ukrainian SSR. Within a few days, the last battles in the mountains end with Soviet victory.

O6Run.png

The Ashanti Incident:
HMS_Ashanti.jpg

The HMS Ashanti, a Tribal class destroyer of the Royal Navy.

On July 14, 1942, the British destroyer HMS Ashanti opens fire on the Norwegian merchant ship Mette Aaronsen II. The British government apologises for the incident, claiming it a horrible mistake, and promises the Norwegian government to never repeat this. Nevertheless, the Norwegians prepare themselves for war, and Sweden offers aid in a possible war in exchange for military access and basing rights. This is accepted, and those Home Guard regiments stationed along the border move into Norway. They immediately begin working with the Norwegian Home Guard to prevent a British invasion.

Norway joins the Pact of Blood:

On July 22, the Norwegian government joins the Pact of Blood, thus declaring war upon the British Commonwealth and Italy. This is seen by Norwegians as an extremely controversial move, as this is going to lead to more Norwegian vessels getting sunk, and possibly a British invasion of Norway. Prime Minister Johan Nygaardsvold urges the people to remain calm and not try to break the British blockade in Skagerrak, and to be cooperative to the Swedish soldiers stationed in the country.