Darkness before Dawn - Purple Phoenix 1416

wait a minute even Constantinople itself in that period struggled to exceed 100/150 thousand inhabitants, so how does Thessaloniki have double that number?, I would say that it is more likely that the entire territory of the despotate hosts more than 300 thousand people , with the city alone reaching a maximum of 80/60 thousand inhabitants, to have a more realistic number, but which demonstrates the important growth of the city, compared to the previous period
the 300.000 figure is from a few centuries back.

CHAPTER 17 – A HERETIC PRINCE

Just as Andronikos held a lavish banquet in his palace to welcome members of Italian merchant houses to invest and trade in Thessaloniki, and just as Thomas Mavrokordatos disembarked from the Roman galley and set his foot on Thessaloniki, a plot against Andronikos and his epilektoi was forming without their knowing.

Deep within the chambers of the Church of Hagia Sophia in Thessaloniki, Head of the Thessaloniki Diocese, Archbishop Symeon sat in front of a parchment, his brow furrowed in contemplation. The candle lights of the room made his face look yellow. His heart was heavy, his mind wandered between thoughts of heresy and the desecration of his holy rituals, and the potential ramifications for the action he is soon to take. Yet, one name, one person continues to be at the center of his attention, Andronikos Palaiologos.

The rapid economic development and reforms by Andronikos had unintentionally damaged the interest of the Church, who were the largest landowner of Thessaloniki and had many privileges and monopolies granted by successive Roman emperors, some dating even back to the age of Constantine the Great. Andronikos chose to disregard or circumvent many of such privileges in the name of development, and in the process enraged the local clergymen.

Archbishop Symeon was a man in his fifties, he had undergone extensive and rigorous theological study, a well-respected theologian among many believers and bishops, he was well-versed in Christian orthodox canon and had an incredibly expanded knowledge on all religious rituals ranging from sermons to daily prayers. However, he never had experience or training in any trade relevant to the secular world, and as such he couldn’t fathom the reasons behind and the effect of Andronikos’ reforms, he simply saw them as foremost an infringement on the sacred privilege of the Church, and secondly, a deviation from the righteous customs of the past.

The past radical reforms of Despot Andronikos had always been a source of contempt for Symeon, but he was especially offended by Andronikos’ decision to grant land to a heretic sect, give them protection and levy them into a new army to be fought side by side with good Christians. Now, with the expansion of this heretic epilektoi and their inevitable expanded influence on Thessaloniki and its people, his outrage knew no bounds.

"How dare he?" Symeon muttered, his voice filled with anger and disbelief. "To bring these heretics into our midst, to allow them to worship as they please amongst pious Christians and pollute righteous mind with heretic and wicked belief, to completely disregard and desecrate the sacred and holy rituals... It is outrageous! It is blasphemy!"

Symeon knew fully well the gravity of his accusation and what kind of upheaval it may bring about, but if the current situation were left unchecked, he could in his head imagine the epilektoi growing in power, their influence spreading like wildfire throughout the city with the heretic Despot’s blessing, and it was a nightmare scenario that he could not bear to contemplate. He convinced himself that, if he did not act swiftly and put a halt to all these madness, he feared that they would succeed in seducing the weak-minded Christians into the heretic way, and crumble the foundation of the Christian Empire, dooming all to eternal damnation.

With a heavy heart, Symeon moved his pen across the parchment to write an official letter of accusation. In it, he warned against the damage of Andronikos’ policy had caused on the integrity and foundation of Christian faith, and accused Andronikos of falling victim to heresy and thus need to be saved by a compulsory purification process to be determined by the most esteemed bishops of the Empire.

Symeon had all of his bishops in the Diocese of Thessaloniki co-sign the letter, then sent it to Patriarch Joseph II, the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople with great urgency. Joseph II was a long-time friend of Symeon, both men underwent same training, studied together and held many of the same belief, and so Symeon trusted him to see the gravity of the situation, and the truth in his accusations against Andronikos. The letter detailed the heresies committed by the despot, the damage done to the church's interests, and the threat posed by the epilektoi to the Orthodox faith.

As surmised by Symeon, once the letter was sent, a political firestorm ensued. The news of accusation of the whole Thessaloniki Diocese against the Despot of Thessaloniki for heresy spread as soon as the letter landed in the hands of Patriarch Joseph II, and it spread like a whirlwind. The gossip of Andronikos's alleged heresy rippled through the ranks of bishops, nobles, and commoners alike, igniting speculation about the potential consequences of a guilty or innocent verdict. Would Andronikos face exile if convicted? Would the epilektoi be disbanded? The fate of Thessaloniki, and indeed the Empire to a significant extent, hung precariously in the balance.

In Constantinople, Emperor Manuel and Co-Emperor Ioannes granted an audience to Patriarch Joseph II, who presented them with the official document of accusation sent by Archbishop Symeon.

Manuel unfolded the parchment, his brow furrowing as he read. He spoke gravely, "This letter was dispatched from Thessaloniki merely three days ago, yet I have already heard of the accusations against Despot Andronikos on at least three separate occasions, from three different individuals! How did this confidential information leak so swiftly? What is Archbishop Symeon's ultimate goal?"

Joseph II responded, "I am aware that Despot Andronikos has been instrumental in the Empire's military campaigns, yet I assure you, my emperor, that Archbishop Symeon's intentions are solely for the Empire's best. The information must have leaked somewhere along the way, perhaps by a careless messenger. Given the gravity of the matter, the news would undoubtedly spread rapidly and widely. Regarding the accusations against the young Despot, I have convened clergymen who are authorities in heresy matters, and we shall collectively decide whether or not to request a trial from your royal highness."

"There will be no trial." Manuel interrupted Joseph II mid-speech, his tone firm.

Joseph II looked surprised at the emperor's assertion. "Certainly, there will be no trial at this juncture. We must first convene and deliberate before..."

Manuel cut him off again, approaching Joseph and locking eyes with him. His voice was cold as a winter blizzard. "Listen to me, Joseph. You may convene as many meetings and deliberate for as long as you need, but you will never arrive at the conclusion of a trial. I will not allow it."

"But, your highness, this is contrary to the Empire's custom! Only the church can determine, based on our profound understanding of the works of God and the Saints, whether a person, whether commoner or prince, is heretic or not," protested Joseph II, taking a step back and casting a glance at Ioannes, who stood nearby.

"No trial," Manuel repeated. "This is my command as Emperor of the Romans and the Chosen Ruler by God. I will shred any document containing the words 'heresy trial' into pieces, and whoever proposes such a motion in the church will face my unyielding wrath."

As the tension mounted between the Emperor and the Patriarch, Co-Emperor Ioannes intervened, offering his perspective: "Patriarch Joseph, you are aware that Despot Andronikos has made significant and unparalleled contributions to the Empire. He has been, and continues to be, indispensable to us all. Therefore, it would be extremely unwise, in our current perilous and treacherous times, to create internal rifts by pursuing this dangerous course of action. Archbishop Symeon may be naive and unaware of the precarious situation and delicate workings of the Empire, but a wise and intelligent man like you must surely recognize the dangers inherent in this action."

Joseph had expected Ioannes, based on past encounters and conversations, to support the Church's position or at least remain neutral. Therefore, he was surprised by Ioannes's reaction, even more so than by Manuel's. Facing the unwavering stance of the two most powerful men in the Empire, Joseph realized he had no other choice.

"As for the policies accused of heresy, I’ll admit some of them had gone too far. I will immediately summon Despot Andronikos to Constantinople for a proper explanation, and he shall correct any wrongs he has committed." Seeing Joseph's attitude soften, Manuel's tone became more conciliatory.

"As the Ecumenical Patriarch, I must protest. However, if the emperor and co-emperor both stand firmly on their decision, as a humble servant to God and the Empire, I must obey," Joseph said, his face ashen. With a bow, he exited the palace.

"Now, we must speak with Andronikos. Your little brother has caused us both a great headache," Manuel said to Ioannes, visibly tired after his confrontation with Joseph. Ioannes helped the aging emperor return to his seat and replied, "I will summon Andronikos immediately."

Five days later, on 10 September 1418, Andronikos hurriedly entered the palace, his face flushed and dripping with sweat. He approached Manuel with his head bowed low and bowed deeply before his father sitting on the throne.

"Andronikos, what have you done!?" Manuel demanded, his voice stern. "The accusations by the Church are of most severe nature! How can you justify bringing heretics into our midst and allowing them to worship freely?"

Andronikos rose from his bow. Although still sweating from his hastily travel, his gaze remained unwavering. "I have done what is necessary for the empire's revival," he declared. "These men, these epilektoi, have skills and strength that we need. We cannot turn away those who are willing to fight for our cause, and these men have proven their loyalty, valor and value by braving the most dangerous battles in Achaea, Morea and Attica!"

"But at what cost?" Ioannes interjected. "At the risk of dividing our people, of weakening our cohesion, of fracturing our relations with the Church? This is not the way to bring about revival."

"Revival requires reform and innovation," Andronikos countered. "We cannot cling to the past and expect to thrive in the present. The Church has become inept, incapable of supporting us in our struggle to revive our Empire! My dear father and elder brother, you know well how many valuable lands the Church hold, how much wealth the Church hoard, all these valuable resources that could be utilized to great assistance, simply been wasted in hollow and empty discussions! Unlike these wasteful men, the epilektoi are a vital part of our future, they provide us with an unwavering source of fighting men, vital to our struggle against the Ottomans, and I will not sacrifice them for the sake of appeasing the Church."

As Ioannes argued with Andronikos, Manuel felt a sense of deep exhaustion. Of course, he knew that the point Andronikos made had merit; of course, he knew the vast land and treasure the Church held for itself was a significant limitation to the resources the Empire could muster; and of course, he knew the Church mainly used the heresy accusation to push back against their privileges and interests being damaged. Nevertheless, as emperor, and an experienced statesman, Manuel knew he must balance all interests at all times, which meant in this time, he must balance between the demands of the Church and Andronikos.

“Andronikos, don’t you understand, if we are to concede to a trial, you would most likely be found heretic, and be stripped of all your titles and positions?” Ioannes questioned loudly, and Andronikos became silent.

Seeing this, Manuel weighed in: "Andronikos, my son, we support you and your vision for the empire's revival. But we cannot ignore the concerns of the Church, for they were, and continue to be the guiding hand to all good Christians across the land, a path to our Lord. Whatever the reasons you have, which I recognize the merits of, you must honor the Church and make concessions that could satisfy their demand to retract their accusation. If your concessions are sufficient, I will appease the Church.”

Andronikos's face was stony as he nodded in acquiescence. He knew that he had pushed the limits of their patience, and he was not willing to risk further conflict with his father, nor the Church. “I appreciate what both of you have done for me, I will forbid any epilektoi, or any non-believer of Christian faith to enter Thessaloniki, their movement will be limited to their communities or the barracks. As for economic policies…”

“That would suffice.” Manuel interrupted the words of Andronikos. “Economic policies you can continue, I will see to that. Epilektois, reign them in and leave them out of the sights of Bishops. We already have too much on our plates, we don’t need additional headaches with the Church.”

“As you will it, father.” Andronikos knew Manuel had protected him, and he felt both guilt-ridden and grateful.

Manuel came and held the hands of Andronikos and Ioannes together: “As family, we must stay united, only united can we survive!”

Andronikos returned to Thessaloniki to implement his compromise, while Archbishop Symeon received the result of his accusation with disappointment and relief. The favoritism of the emperor shown towards his son was palpable, which meant Andronikos remained in power and would continue to threaten the Church’s position. But for now, they had won a small victory. The epilektoi system would remain, but with their movements now restricted, their influence would be curtailed.

A month later, a letter from ambassador Nicholas Eudaimonoioannes in Konstanz had reached Andronikos, the letter brought him both relief and a new sense of urgency: As the council of Konstanz drew to a close in 1418, the newly elected pope Martin V and Sigismund worked together to finally and definitively settle the Western Schism with the recognition of Martin V as the sole and legitimate pope. Both Martin V and Sigismund had promised Nicholas to immediately begin the preparations for the Crusade eagerly anticipated by Andronikos. By the end of his letter to Andronikos, Nicholas estimated that if all went according to plans, then in two years’ time, by late 1420, a force of at least 30.000 crusaders would be ready to strike the Ottomans, and the empire better be ready for that fateful event.

Great chapter, sad about that struggle between the religious clergy and Andronikos, hopefully the dispute doesn't grow for the worse. I wonder if Andronikos will look more deeply into the beliefs of the Bedreddin?
By the end of his letter to Andronikos, Nicholas estimated that if all went according to plans, then in two years’ time, by late 1420, a force of at least 30.000 crusaders would be ready to strike the Ottomans, and the empire better be ready for that fateful event
Hopefully such a crusade will happen by 1420, kick the Ottomans out of Europe!!!👍👍👍

Keep up the good work!!

Just as Andronikos held a lavish banquet in his palace to welcome members of Italian merchant houses to invest and trade in Thessaloniki, and just as Thomas Mavrokordatos disembarked from the Roman galley and set his foot on Thessaloniki, a plot against Andronikos and his epilektoi was forming without their knowing.

Deep within the chambers of the Church of Hagia Sophia in Thessaloniki, Head of the Thessaloniki Diocese, Archbishop Symeon sat in front of a parchment, his brow furrowed in contemplation. The candle lights of the room made his face look yellow. His heart was heavy, his mind wandered between thoughts of heresy and the desecration of his holy rituals, and the potential ramifications for the action he is soon to take. Yet, one name, one person continues to be at the center of his attention, Andronikos Palaiologos.

The rapid economic development and reforms by Andronikos had unintentionally damaged the interest of the Church, who were the largest landowner of Thessaloniki and had many privileges and monopolies granted by successive Roman emperors, some dating even back to the age of Constantine the Great. Andronikos chose to disregard or circumvent many of such privileges in the name of development, and in the process enraged the local clergymen.

Archbishop Symeon was a man in his fifties, he had undergone extensive and rigorous theological study, a well-respected theologian among many believers and bishops, he was well-versed in Christian orthodox canon and had an incredibly expanded knowledge on all religious rituals ranging from sermons to daily prayers. However, he never had experience or training in any trade relevant to the secular world, and as such he couldn’t fathom the reasons behind and the effect of Andronikos’ reforms, he simply saw them as foremost an infringement on the sacred privilege of the Church, and secondly, a deviation from the righteous customs of the past.

The past radical reforms of Despot Andronikos had always been a source of contempt for Symeon, but he was especially offended by Andronikos’ decision to grant land to a heretic sect, give them protection and levy them into a new army to be fought side by side with good Christians. Now, with the expansion of this heretic epilektoi and their inevitable expanded influence on Thessaloniki and its people, his outrage knew no bounds.

"How dare he?" Symeon muttered, his voice filled with anger and disbelief. "To bring these heretics into our midst, to allow them to worship as they please amongst pious Christians and pollute righteous mind with heretic and wicked belief, to completely disregard and desecrate the sacred and holy rituals... It is outrageous! It is blasphemy!"

Symeon knew fully well the gravity of his accusation and what kind of upheaval it may bring about, but if the current situation were left unchecked, he could in his head imagine the epilektoi growing in power, their influence spreading like wildfire throughout the city with the heretic Despot’s blessing, and it was a nightmare scenario that he could not bear to contemplate. He convinced himself that, if he did not act swiftly and put a halt to all these madness, he feared that they would succeed in seducing the weak-minded Christians into the heretic way, and crumble the foundation of the Christian Empire, dooming all to eternal damnation.

With a heavy heart, Symeon moved his pen across the parchment to write an official letter of accusation. In it, he warned against the damage of Andronikos’ policy had caused on the integrity and foundation of Christian faith, and accused Andronikos of falling victim to heresy and thus need to be saved by a compulsory purification process to be determined by the most esteemed bishops of the Empire.

Symeon had all of his bishops in the Diocese of Thessaloniki co-sign the letter, then sent it to Patriarch Joseph II, the Ecumenical Patriarch in Constantinople with great urgency. Joseph II was a long-time friend of Symeon, both men underwent same training, studied together and held many of the same belief, and so Symeon trusted him to see the gravity of the situation, and the truth in his accusations against Andronikos. The letter detailed the heresies committed by the despot, the damage done to the church's interests, and the threat posed by the epilektoi to the Orthodox faith.

As surmised by Symeon, once the letter was sent, a political firestorm ensued. The news of accusation of the whole Thessaloniki Diocese against the Despot of Thessaloniki for heresy spread as soon as the letter landed in the hands of Patriarch Joseph II, and it spread like a whirlwind. The gossip of Andronikos's alleged heresy rippled through the ranks of bishops, nobles, and commoners alike, igniting speculation about the potential consequences of a guilty or innocent verdict. Would Andronikos face exile if convicted? Would the epilektoi be disbanded? The fate of Thessaloniki, and indeed the Empire to a significant extent, hung precariously in the balance.

In Constantinople, Emperor Manuel and Co-Emperor Ioannes granted an audience to Patriarch Joseph II, who presented them with the official document of accusation sent by Archbishop Symeon.

Manuel unfolded the parchment, his brow furrowing as he read. He spoke gravely, "This letter was dispatched from Thessaloniki merely three days ago, yet I have already heard of the accusations against Despot Andronikos on at least three separate occasions, from three different individuals! How did this confidential information leak so swiftly? What is Archbishop Symeon's ultimate goal?"

Joseph II responded, "I am aware that Despot Andronikos has been instrumental in the Empire's military campaigns, yet I assure you, my emperor, that Archbishop Symeon's intentions are solely for the Empire's best. The information must have leaked somewhere along the way, perhaps by a careless messenger. Given the gravity of the matter, the news would undoubtedly spread rapidly and widely. Regarding the accusations against the young Despot, I have convened clergymen who are authorities in heresy matters, and we shall collectively decide whether or not to request a trial from your royal highness."

"There will be no trial." Manuel interrupted Joseph II mid-speech, his tone firm.

Joseph II looked surprised at the emperor's assertion. "Certainly, there will be no trial at this juncture. We must first convene and deliberate before..."

Manuel cut him off again, approaching Joseph and locking eyes with him. His voice was cold as a winter blizzard. "Listen to me, Joseph. You may convene as many meetings and deliberate for as long as you need, but you will never arrive at the conclusion of a trial. I will not allow it."

"But, your highness, this is contrary to the Empire's custom! Only the church can determine, based on our profound understanding of the works of God and the Saints, whether a person, whether commoner or prince, is heretic or not," protested Joseph II, taking a step back and casting a glance at Ioannes, who stood nearby.

"No trial," Manuel repeated. "This is my command as Emperor of the Romans and the Chosen Ruler by God. I will shred any document containing the words 'heresy trial' into pieces, and whoever proposes such a motion in the church will face my unyielding wrath."

As the tension mounted between the Emperor and the Patriarch, Co-Emperor Ioannes intervened, offering his perspective: "Patriarch Joseph, you are aware that Despot Andronikos has made significant and unparalleled contributions to the Empire. He has been, and continues to be, indispensable to us all. Therefore, it would be extremely unwise, in our current perilous and treacherous times, to create internal rifts by pursuing this dangerous course of action. Archbishop Symeon may be naive and unaware of the precarious situation and delicate workings of the Empire, but a wise and intelligent man like you must surely recognize the dangers inherent in this action."

Joseph had expected Ioannes, based on past encounters and conversations, to support the Church's position or at least remain neutral. Therefore, he was surprised by Ioannes's reaction, even more so than by Manuel's. Facing the unwavering stance of the two most powerful men in the Empire, Joseph realized he had no other choice.

"As for the policies accused of heresy, I’ll admit some of them had gone too far. I will immediately summon Despot Andronikos to Constantinople for a proper explanation, and he shall correct any wrongs he has committed." Seeing Joseph's attitude soften, Manuel's tone became more conciliatory.

"As the Ecumenical Patriarch, I must protest. However, if the emperor and co-emperor both stand firmly on their decision, as a humble servant to God and the Empire, I must obey," Joseph said, his face ashen. With a bow, he exited the palace.

"Now, we must speak with Andronikos. Your little brother has caused us both a great headache," Manuel said to Ioannes, visibly tired after his confrontation with Joseph. Ioannes helped the aging emperor return to his seat and replied, "I will summon Andronikos immediately."

Five days later, on 10 September 1418, Andronikos hurriedly entered the palace, his face flushed and dripping with sweat. He approached Manuel with his head bowed low and bowed deeply before his father sitting on the throne.

"Andronikos, what have you done!?" Manuel demanded, his voice stern. "The accusations by the Church are of most severe nature! How can you justify bringing heretics into our midst and allowing them to worship freely?"

Andronikos rose from his bow. Although still sweating from his hastily travel, his gaze remained unwavering. "I have done what is necessary for the empire's revival," he declared. "These men, these epilektoi, have skills and strength that we need. We cannot turn away those who are willing to fight for our cause, and these men have proven their loyalty, valor and value by braving the most dangerous battles in Achaea, Morea and Attica!"

"But at what cost?" Ioannes interjected. "At the risk of dividing our people, of weakening our cohesion, of fracturing our relations with the Church? This is not the way to bring about revival."

"Revival requires reform and innovation," Andronikos countered. "We cannot cling to the past and expect to thrive in the present. The Church has become inept, incapable of supporting us in our struggle to revive our Empire! My dear father and elder brother, you know well how many valuable lands the Church hold, how much wealth the Church hoard, all these valuable resources that could be utilized to great assistance, simply been wasted in hollow and empty discussions! Unlike these wasteful men, the epilektoi are a vital part of our future, they provide us with an unwavering source of fighting men, vital to our struggle against the Ottomans, and I will not sacrifice them for the sake of appeasing the Church."

As Ioannes argued with Andronikos, Manuel felt a sense of deep exhaustion. Of course, he knew that the point Andronikos made had merit; of course, he knew the vast land and treasure the Church held for itself was a significant limitation to the resources the Empire could muster; and of course, he knew the Church mainly used the heresy accusation to push back against their privileges and interests being damaged. Nevertheless, as emperor, and an experienced statesman, Manuel knew he must balance all interests at all times, which meant in this time, he must balance between the demands of the Church and Andronikos.

“Andronikos, don’t you understand, if we are to concede to a trial, you would most likely be found heretic, and be stripped of all your titles and positions?” Ioannes questioned loudly, and Andronikos became silent.

Seeing this, Manuel weighed in: "Andronikos, my son, we support you and your vision for the empire's revival. But we cannot ignore the concerns of the Church, for they were, and continue to be the guiding hand to all good Christians across the land, a path to our Lord. Whatever the reasons you have, which I recognize the merits of, you must honor the Church and make concessions that could satisfy their demand to retract their accusation. If your concessions are sufficient, I will appease the Church.”

Andronikos's face was stony as he nodded in acquiescence. He knew that he had pushed the limits of their patience, and he was not willing to risk further conflict with his father, nor the Church. “I appreciate what both of you have done for me, I will forbid any epilektoi, or any non-believer of Christian faith to enter Thessaloniki, their movement will be limited to their communities or the barracks. As for economic policies…”

“That would suffice.” Manuel interrupted the words of Andronikos. “Economic policies you can continue, I will see to that. Epilektois, reign them in and leave them out of the sights of Bishops. We already have too much on our plates, we don’t need additional headaches with the Church.”

“As you will it, father.” Andronikos knew Manuel had protected him, and he felt both guilt-ridden and grateful.

Manuel came and held the hands of Andronikos and Ioannes together: “As family, we must stay united, only united can we survive!”

Andronikos returned to Thessaloniki to implement his compromise, while Archbishop Symeon received the result of his accusation with disappointment and relief. The favoritism of the emperor shown towards his son was palpable, which meant Andronikos remained in power and would continue to threaten the Church’s position. But for now, they had won a small victory. The epilektoi system would remain, but with their movements now restricted, their influence would be curtailed.

A month later, a letter from ambassador Nicholas Eudaimonoioannes in Konstanz had reached Andronikos, the letter brought him both relief and a new sense of urgency: As the council of Konstanz drew to a close in 1418, the newly elected pope Martin V and Sigismund worked together to finally and definitively settle the Western Schism with the recognition of Martin V as the sole and legitimate pope. Both Martin V and Sigismund had promised Nicholas to immediately begin the preparations for the Crusade eagerly anticipated by Andronikos. By the end of his letter to Andronikos, Nicholas estimated that if all went according to plans, then in two years’ time, by late 1420, a force of at least 30.000 crusaders would be ready to strike the Ottomans, and the empire better be ready for that fateful event.

once again Andronikos has to face the not always positive consequences deriving from his innovative policies, which, as is natural, cannot please everyone, so this first clash with the church will be useful for him to gain experience and learn from his mistakes, On the other hand, the news coming from Latin Europe is very good, so in a little while perhaps we will see the real preparations for the crusade and of course everything that revolves around it ( including the weddings that Martin is thinking of organizing for the young Paleologos, as Is there a chance that Andronikos will be able to get a small part of the papal subsidy in advance, which will technically go to the Empire in the very near future ?, or even have some volunteers sent with perhaps one or two pieces of artillery attached )

random question, how plausible would it be for Constantinople to try to subtly instigate a rebellion in Smyrna or Philadelphia ? , to try to put a foot back in Anatolia, but above all to strengthen the maritime control of the Aegean by the Byzantine navy ( so as to have a sort of triangulation between the Morea, Thessaloniki, Constantinople, the few islands left in their possession and this "stronghold" on the coast of Asia Minor ) yet another question, what is the very young Constantine up to in this period ?, he should be around 13 years old if I'm not mistaken, so he would start getting his first assignments in the Empire to gain experience

Last edited:
Great chapter, sad about that struggle between the religious clergy and Andronikos, hopefully the dispute doesn't grow for the worse. I wonder if Andronikos will look more deeply into the beliefs of the Bedreddin?

Hopefully such a crusade will happen by 1420, kick the Ottomans out of Europe!!!👍👍👍

Keep up the good work!!
Bedreddin’s belief to establish a community where all faiths could live in harmony is definitely something Andronikos may find helpful to his future endeavors to reorganize people of different faith under one single banner

Bedreddin’s belief to establish a community where all faiths could live in harmony is definitely something Andronikos may find helpful to his future endeavors to reorganize people of different faith under one single banner
Maybe he'll establish a belief in that only the Romans are able to successfully bring order to both Christians and Muslims?

once again Andronikos has to face the not always positive consequences deriving from his innovative policies, which, as is natural, cannot please everyone, so this first clash with the church will be useful for him to gain experience and learn from his mistakes, On the other hand, the news coming from Latin Europe is very good, so in a little while perhaps we will see the real preparations for the crusade and of course everything that revolves around it ( including the weddings that Martin is thinking of organizing for the young Paleologos, as Is there a chance that Andronikos will be able to get a small part of the papal subsidy in advance, which will technically go to the Empire in the very near future ?, or even have some volunteers sent with perhaps one or two pieces of artillery attached )

random question, how plausible would it be for Constantinople to try to subtly instigate a rebellion in Smyrna or Philadelphia ? , to try to put a foot back in Anatolia, but above all to strengthen the maritime control of the Aegean by the Byzantine navy ( so as to have a sort of triangulation between the Morea, Thessaloniki, Constantinople, the few islands left in their possession and this "stronghold" on the coast of Asia Minor ) yet another question, what is the very young Constantine up to in this period ?, he should be around 13 years old if I'm not mistaken, so he would start getting his first assignments in the Empire to gain experience
Let’s say the wise emperor Manuel had drawn from the consequences of a house divided, and he has plenty of past experiences to draw from (both Roman ones and Ottoman ones)

As to answer your question, despite a majority of people still sympathizing with the empire living in coastal Anatolia, I don’t think the Romans could hold the coast against the overwhelming might of the Ottomans. The Ottoman rule on Anatolia must first be broken before any significant revolts favoring the Romans could happen

Maybe he'll establish a belief in that only the Romans are able to successfully bring order to both Christians and Muslims?
That option is still some years from now, and to fully abandon the Orthodox Church dominance over the Roman Empire would be unthinkable and utterly detrimental. However, the Bedreddin belief is now dominant in the epilektoi ranks, and they will see Andronikos as their main protector in this hostile religious environment, and thus for the moment help Andronikos to secure a capable army that are loyal to him.

CHAPTER 18 – WRATH OF THE SULTAN

758px-Egbert_van_der_Poel_-_Fire_in_a_Village_-_WGA17994.jpg

Scorched Earth tactics were somewhat commonly deployed both by attacking and defending forces, the aim being to deny the opponent the resources and replenishment from the local lands, and weaken their fighting capabilities.

As the autumn of 1418 drew to a close, the air was filled with the crisp scent of falling leaves and the promise of a coming winter. But the calm before the storm was merely a facade, a deceptive lull in the tense relations between the Ottoman Empire and its neighbors. Ottoman Sultan Mehmed had been plotting his next move for months, and the time had come to strike.

Mehmed's eyes were ablaze with determination as he stood on the deck of his flagship, surveying the Danube River that lay ahead. His eyes narrowed as he gazed across the Danube, seeing not just a river but a barrier to his ambitions. This assault, this surprise attack across the Danube would be a bold stroke, and serve as the long overdue punishment to the always insubordinate, always plotting vassal-state of Wallachia that had been supporting the rebellious Bedreddin in Bulgaria with arms and provisions. Mehmed knew he could not let this stand. This campaign will be a show of Ottoman might, a demonstration of the sultan's will to crush any rebellion that threatened his domain.

While his flagship sailed to the middle of the river, a gust of wind blew suddenly, and Mehmed began to cough violently. He pushed aside servants rushing over to help, and used a handkerchief to cover his mouth. After a moment he stopped the coughing, his face turned pale, and he signaled for water. While his servant hurried to find him water, he hid his blood-covered handkerchief away, so none of his subordinates would know his chronic illness.

“My Sultan, you should rest in Tirnovo, the Wallachians can be dealt with by your loyal beys, we are all honored to serve you.” The fleet commander, Hamza Bey came beside Mehmed, looking concerned. He was the younger brother of the Grand Vizier Bayezid Pasha, and because of his brother’s friendship with Mehmed he had gained the trust and favor of Mehmed. That is why at a very young age of 20 he gained the significant commission as fleet commander in this important campaign.

“No, some works can only be done by me, this is my duty as Sultan. The Wallachians are cunning, Mircea is an old fox, only I can trap him unprepared.”

"Have the cannons all been boarded?" Mehmed asked Hamza Bey, and received a confirmation. “Good, these cannons are vital to our success.”

The cannons were a new addition to the Ottoman campaign, and Mehmed knew their destructive power would be a crucial factor in quickly subduing Wallachian resistance. As winter is coming and an army stuck in hostile lands without prepared winter shelters would spell disaster to any army. Disease, cold and hunger would decimate even the most disciplined force, so for Mehmed, speed is of utmost importance.

As the Ottoman fleet sailed silently across the Danube with 25.000 men strong invading force, the Wallachians were blissfully unaware of the impending danger. They had been caught up in the rebellion led by Bedreddin in Northern Bulgaria, providing arms and provisions to the rebels. They expected the Ottomans, who had repeatedly suffered defeat at the hands of the rebel to have their focus remained on Bulgaria, and therefore thought the recent large Ottoman troop buildup to be directed towards the rebels. Under no circumstances would the Wallachians to have anticipated the Ottoman to invade them right at the onset of winter.

With winter looming, it is high time for any army to start preparing winter camps. Launching a large-scale invasion with less than a month before the snow covers the ground is a risky gamble, one that only the most daring generals would be willing to undertake. However, Mehmed has always been renowned for his bold and innovative strategies, seizing opportunities at the most opportune moments.

The Ottomans had crossed the Danube unopposed. The Wallachian border garrisons, caught off guard, scrambled to form a defense. But their thin lines were utterly crushed by a furious Ottoman cavalry charge, their castle bombarded to pieces by the Ottoman cannons, and soon the Ottoman forces were sweeping through the Wallachian countryside unopposed.

As the heartland of Wallachia now laid open, Mehmed ordered his mobile horsemen to wreak havoc across Wallachia, pillage and burn their way and distract the spread-out Wallachian defenders. As for him and his main army, Targoviste, the Wallachian capital, was the next target.

Mehmed marched with lightning speed towards Targoviste, their rapid advance offsetting any chance the unprepared Wallachian could scorch the earth and slow the Ottoman advance, and before any meaningful reinforcement could be sent to the capital by the frustrated and confused Wallachians, Mehmed had reached Targoviste with his vanguard in just 8 days of forced march and promptly surrounded the city, cutting it off from the rest of Wallachia, and trapping the majority of Wallachian ruling class including Voivode Mircea the Great inside.

A messenger was sent into the Targoviste, demanding a surrender from the Wallachians, which include a cessation of all hostile actions against Ottoman rule including assisting any rebels, and a resumption of tribute paying. The Wallachian aristocracy split into two factions, one arguing for an acceptance of the terms, which were seen as relatively lenient and would preserve their wealth and avoid bloodshed; while another more hawkish faction argued for a prolonged defense, and that the Ottomans would have no options but to retreat once winter arrive in less than a month.

While the Wallachians engaged in heated debates over whether to accept the Ottoman terms, Mehmed capitalized on the situation by meticulously preparing his siege. He patiently awaited the arrival of his cannons, which finally came four days later along with the bulk of his infantry. Now firmly confident in his superior position, Mehmed promptly issued orders for his cannons to commence firing on Targoviste without delay.

The Ottoman cannons aimed at the city walls, and with a wave of hand from Mehmed himself, the cannons roared, flying balls of iron smashing into tall walls of Targoviste, wreaking havoc on the seemingly impenetrable barrier.

The Wallachian defenders looked in shock as they saw their tall and mighty towers collapse by a single hit, and their high walls trembling and shaking before the roars of lightning bolts. After two days of relentless firing, the city walls were riddled with holes and cracks, some sections even collapsed.

Mehmed then gathered his main force, and marched them out in front of the half-ruined Targoviste to let the defenders witness his huge, disciplined and well-equipped army in full view. Then, as the Ottoman battle formations was drawn, ready to storm the city, and as the morale of the defenders began to break, Mehmed sent a final envoy into the city, giving a final ultimatum.

Not only were the Wallachians to break all support to any rebels in Ottoman territory, as punishment for their break of oath as Ottoman vassal, Wallachia must now pay a very heavy indemnity, from now on increase its yearly tribute from 8.000 ducats to 20.000 ducats, and every great house of Wallachia must now deliver at least one son into Ottoman court as hostage. Were the Wallachians to reject, Mehmed will raze Tirgoviste and all cities of Wallachia to the ground with no mercy.

Mircea the Great, the Wallachian Voivode, was a man of courage and honor, he had constantly fought against the Ottomans, been seen as one of their greatest adversaries, but was now terminally ill. As his generals and great lords fiercely argued on Ottoman terms while an all-out attack was imminent, he saw the end coming. He knew that if the unprepared Tirgoviste couldn’t withstand an Ottoman attack now their walls broken through, and that if he did not surrender, his people would suffer even greater losses.

"We must surrender," Mircea said to his men, his voice rough and weak, breaking their arguments. "The Ottomans are too strong for us to resist, our walls were not prepared against their fast assault, we have lost. Now, as protectors of our people, we must save our people from further bloodshed."

The Wallachians' acceptance of the peace terms was communicated to the Ottoman army prior to the deadline. In a mere span of 20 days, Mehmed accomplished the remarkable feat of completely subjugating the Wallachians, compelling them to sever their ties with the rebels, and securing a significant monetary boost through renewed tributes. Additionally, he now held Wallachian hostages as a deterrent against any future rebellious endeavors. Moreover, the speed and impact of his campaign across the Danube was a true testament to Ottoman might, resonating throughout the region. This victory boosted Ottoman morale and sent a unequivocal warning to all other potential challengers who might dare to test his resolve.

Back in the Ottoman camp, the soldiers celebrated their victory with feasts and song. Next morning Mehmed left a significant garrison force in Targoviste to oversee Wallachian abide to the terms, while he led his main army and the new Wallachian hostages back into Ottoman territory. As Wallachian campaign had concluded, Mehmed noticed his body weakening by the day. The arduous campaign had put additional stress on his already weakened body, and he began coughing blood regularly on his way return. Yet, he had no time to be distracted, and his mind was already turned to his next move against Bedreddin. This time he intended to crush it once and for all.

The Wallachians were left to pick up the pieces of their shattered country and crushed ambitions. Mircea the Great, their strong Voivode, couldn’t stand the devastating blow and died soon after the surrender, leaving a large political void that would be difficult to fill, and left the Wallachians unable to focus their attention outside their borders in the foreseeable future.

The Ottomans' swift and decisive victory over the Wallachians sent shockwaves through the Balkans. The rebels in Bulgaria, led by the prestigious Sheikh Bedreddin and his highly trusted lieutenant Ivan, now found themselves facing a new and ominous reality.

For the last two years, Bedreddin and his rebels had dealt a series of blows to Ottoman forces, enlarging their territory, growing their ranks and increasing their supplies. With an expanded influence, and wishing to grow the rebellion further, the rebels had left their stronghold in Dobrudja and sending their main forces into the fertile and rich central Bulgaria to contest with Ottoman rule for local grains and people. For a time, they succeeded in securing most of central Bulgaria under rebel control, and it seemed the Ottomans were on the retreat and the rebellion was gaining momentum, until now.

The winter of 1418 was a bleak time for Bulgaria and for Bedreddin’s rebels. The central Bulgarian land, once fertile and prosperous, now lay barren and desolate under the shadow of renewed Ottoman aggression. The air was heavy with the smoke of burned villages and the cries of the oppressed.

Mehmed was not a man devoid of compassion, but his past setbacks had taught him a hard lesson: the only effective way to counter the guerrilla tactics of the rebels was to wage a ruthless war of extermination. He resolved to deny the rebels any resources they could use and to mercilessly eliminate any populace that showed sympathy towards the rebellion. Therefore, upon his return to his main camp at Tirnovo, Mehmed promptly ordered his vast cavalry forces to embark on a mission of destruction across Bulgaria.

As Mehmed’s order was carried out, the Ottoman cavalry thundered across the Bulgarian landscape, burning and pillaging with merciless efficiency. Villages were torched, crops destroyed, and livestock slaughtered. The screams of the helpless civilians echoed across the countryside, their pleas for mercy falling on deaf ears.

The Ottomans showed no mercy, even to women and children. They raped and murdered without remorse, leaving a trail of horror and devastation in their wake. The Bulgarian economy, barely recovered from past struggles and warfare, was now in utter tatters, its people reduced to starvations in the cold and desolate winter, many killed by the Ottomans, even more succumbed to cold and hunger. Within three months many tens of thousands of Bulgarians were dead, with order and the fabrics that held the society together completely collapsed.

The rebels were unable to withstand the fury of the Ottoman onslaught. Their Wallachian allies deserted them, following the orders of their lords who were now subjugated by the Ottomans. As their stores were set aflame by the Ottomans, the rebels' supplies dwindled, leaving them stretched to the limit.

Ivan, the well experienced rebel leader in charge of military campaigns in Bulgaria, watched the carnage unfold. He knew that with each passing day, the situation became more dire. His men were cold, demoralized and hungry; their supplies were dwindling, their numbers shrinking, and their position in central Bulgaria ever more perilous.

The past years of military actions had made Ivan a strong and resolute leader, he knew that against the overwhelming force of the Ottomans, to send his men into pitched battles was futile. He saw the suffering of his people, and he knew that he had to make a choice – a choice that would save the lives of his men, even if it meant surrendering the land they loved to the enemy.

"We cannot hold on much longer," Ivan confessed in a letter to his prophet, Sheikh Bedreddin who resided in the rebel base camp in Dobrudja. "The Ottomans are too strong, and our allies have deserted us, we cannot contest the Ottoman army on the open field of central Bulgaria, we must regroup into the mountains, save the lives of our brothers, gather our strength, and defeat the Ottomans through ambushes and skirmishes."

However, the situation deteriorated much faster than what Ivan had anticipated. A traitor had surrendered to the Ottomans and betrayed the critical information on the concentration of rebel forces to the Ottomans. The overall Ottoman commander of the campaign, a capable general Turahan Bey, immediately seized on the information and led his army into a decisive attack. The rebels, although warned, were forced to face the Ottoman army at the open, and was largely crushed, with many of their leading men and core veterans dead or captured.

The remaining rebels which escaped the battle, exhausted and demoralized, led by Ivan began the long and arduous journey back to Dobrudja. They left behind a land that was now a smoking ruin, its people reduced to slaves and beggars.

As the rebels retreated back into Dobrudja, their numbers significantly reduced, and morale in shatters, Ottoman forces began to withdrew from the now devastated central Bulgaria to rest and regroup, they left a landscape of ruin and despair.

By the time the snow melted and spring buds sprout out, the villages of central Bulgaria were empty of souls, the fields barren, bones and remains lie open in the air, and the air itself was heavy with the scent of death and destruction.

And so, at great cost to his own land and people, Mehmed finally turned the tide against the rebels. Although his body weakened to a stage where he had to spend most of the day resting in a chair, he envisaged that once his army has rested from their relentless campaigns, he would strike the rebels at their weakest, and ride them once and for all. After that, he would finally be able to concentrate all his attention on a punitive action against that irritating and trouble-seeking Roman Despot Andronikos. These young Roman princes had forgotten to fear the Ottomans, it is high time to give them a heads up.

Last edited:
Good chapter, hopefully the Ottoman victory in Wallachia and Bulgaria sends shockwaves throughout Hungary and the rest of Europe, a large coalition of forces is needed to kick the Ottomans out of Europe. I hope Andronikos and the rest of the Romans can survive the onslaught with Ottoman's sights on them. Keep up the great work 👍👍👍👍

Last edited:

758px-Egbert_van_der_Poel_-_Fire_in_a_Village_-_WGA17994.jpg

Scorched Earth tactics were somewhat commonly deployed both by attacking and defending forces, the aim being to deny the opponent the resources and replenishment from the local lands, and weaken their fighting capabilities.

As the autumn of 1418 drew to a close, the air was filled with the crisp scent of falling leaves and the promise of a coming winter. But the calm before the storm was merely a facade, a deceptive lull in the tense relations between the Ottoman Empire and its neighbors. Ottoman Sultan Mehmed had been plotting his next move for months, and the time had come to strike.

Mehmed's eyes were ablaze with determination as he stood on the deck of his flagship, surveying the Danube River that lay ahead. His eyes narrowed as he gazed across the Danube, seeing not just a river but a barrier to his ambitions. This assault, this surprise attack across the Danube would be a bold stroke, and serve as the long overdue punishment to the always insubordinate, always plotting vassal-state of Wallachia that had been supporting the rebellious Bedreddin in Bulgaria with arms and provisions. Mehmed knew he could not let this stand. This campaign will be a show of Ottoman might, a demonstration of the sultan's will to crush any rebellion that threatened his domain.

While his flagship sailed to the middle of the river, a gust of wind blew suddenly, and Mehmed began to cough violently. He pushed aside servants rushing over to help, and used a handkerchief to cover his mouth. After a moment he stopped the coughing, his face turned pale, and he signaled for water. While his servant hurried to find him water, he hid his blood-covered handkerchief away, so none of his subordinates would know his chronic illness.

“My Sultan, you should rest in Tirnovo, the Wallachians can be dealt with by your loyal beys, we are all honored to serve you.” The fleet commander, Hamza Bey came beside Mehmed, looking concerned. He was the younger brother of the Grand Vizier Bayezid Pasha, and because of his brother’s friendship with Mehmed he had gained the trust and favor of Mehmed. That is why at a very young age of 20 he gained the significant commission as fleet commander in this important campaign.

“No, some works can only be done by me, this is my duty as Sultan. The Wallachians are cunning, Mircea is an old fox, only I can trap him unprepared.”

"Have the cannons all been boarded?" Mehmed asked Hamza Bey, and received a confirmation. “Good, these cannons are vital to our success.”

The cannons were a new addition to the Ottoman campaign, and Mehmed knew their destructive power would be a crucial factor in quickly subduing Wallachian resistance. As winter is coming and an army stuck in hostile lands without prepared winter shelters would spell disaster to any army. Disease, cold and hunger would decimate even the most disciplined force, so for Mehmed, speed is of utmost importance.

As the Ottoman fleet sailed silently across the Danube with 25.000 men strong invading force, the Wallachians were blissfully unaware of the impending danger. They had been caught up in the rebellion led by Bedreddin in Northern Bulgaria, providing arms and provisions to the rebels. They expected the Ottomans, who had repeatedly suffered defeat at the hands of the rebel to have their focus remained on Bulgaria, and therefore thought the recent large Ottoman troop buildup to be directed towards the rebels. Under no circumstances would the Wallachians to have anticipated the Ottoman to invade them right at the onset of winter.

With winter looming, it is high time for any army to start preparing winter camps. Launching a large-scale invasion with less than a month before the snow covers the ground is a risky gamble, one that only the most daring generals would be willing to undertake. However, Mehmed has always been renowned for his bold and innovative strategies, seizing opportunities at the most opportune moments.

The Ottomans had crossed the Danube unopposed. The Wallachian border garrisons, caught off guard, scrambled to form a defense. But their thin lines were utterly crushed by a furious Ottoman cavalry charge, their castle bombarded to pieces by the Ottoman cannons, and soon the Ottoman forces were sweeping through the Wallachian countryside unopposed.

As the heartland of Wallachia now laid open, Mehmed ordered his mobile horsemen to wreak havoc across Wallachia, pillage and burn their way and distract the spread-out Wallachian defenders. As for him and his main army, Targoviste, the Wallachian capital, was the next target.

Mehmed marched with lightning speed towards Targoviste, their rapid advance offsetting any chance the unprepared Wallachian could scorch the earth and slow the Ottoman advance, and before any meaningful reinforcement could be sent to the capital by the frustrated and confused Wallachians, Mehmed had reached Targoviste with his vanguard in just 8 days of forced march and promptly surrounded the city, cutting it off from the rest of Wallachia, and trapping the majority of Wallachian ruling class including Voivode Mircea the Great inside.

A messenger was sent into the Targoviste, demanding a surrender from the Wallachians, which include a cessation of all hostile actions against Ottoman rule including assisting any rebels, and a resumption of tribute paying. The Wallachian aristocracy split into two factions, one arguing for an acceptance of the terms, which were seen as relatively lenient and would preserve their wealth and avoid bloodshed; while another more hawkish faction argued for a prolonged defense, and that the Ottomans would have no options but to retreat once winter arrive in less than a month.

While the Wallachians engaged in heated debates over whether to accept the Ottoman terms, Mehmed capitalized on the situation by meticulously preparing his siege. He patiently awaited the arrival of his cannons, which finally came four days later along with the bulk of his infantry. Now firmly confident in his superior position, Mehmed promptly issued orders for his cannons to commence firing on Targoviste without delay.

The Ottoman cannons aimed at the city walls, and with a wave of hand from Mehmed himself, the cannons roared, flying balls of iron smashing into tall walls of Targoviste, wreaking havoc on the seemingly impenetrable barrier.

The Wallachian defenders looked in shock as they saw their tall and mighty towers collapse by a single hit, and their high walls trembling and shaking before the roars of lightning bolts. After two days of relentless firing, the city walls were riddled with holes and cracks, some sections even collapsed.

Mehmed then gathered his main force, and marched them out in front of the half-ruined Targoviste to let the defenders witness his huge, disciplined and well-equipped army in full view. Then, as the Ottoman battle formations was drawn, ready to storm the city, and as the morale of the defenders began to break, Mehmed sent a final envoy into the city, giving a final ultimatum.

Not only were the Wallachians to break all support to any rebels in Ottoman territory, as punishment for their break of oath as Ottoman vassal, Wallachia must now pay a very heavy indemnity, from now on increase its yearly tribute from 8.000 ducats to 20.000 ducats, and every great house of Wallachia must now deliver at least one son into Ottoman court as hostage. Were the Wallachians to reject, Mehmed will raze Tirgoviste and all cities of Wallachia to the ground with no mercy.

Mircea the Great, the Wallachian Voivode, was a man of courage and honor, he had constantly fought against the Ottomans, been seen as one of their greatest adversaries, but was now terminally ill. As his generals and great lords fiercely argued on Ottoman terms while an all-out attack was imminent, he saw the end coming. He knew that if the unprepared Tirgoviste couldn’t withstand an Ottoman attack now their walls broken through, and that if he did not surrender, his people would suffer even greater losses.

"We must surrender," Mircea said to his men, his voice rough and weak, breaking their arguments. "The Ottomans are too strong for us to resist, our walls were not prepared against their fast assault, we have lost. Now, as protectors of our people, we must save our people from further bloodshed."

The Wallachians' acceptance of the peace terms was communicated to the Ottoman army prior to the deadline. In a mere span of 20 days, Mehmed accomplished the remarkable feat of completely subjugating the Wallachians, compelling them to sever their ties with the rebels, and securing a significant monetary boost through renewed tributes. Additionally, he now held Wallachian hostages as a deterrent against any future rebellious endeavors. Moreover, the speed and impact of his campaign across the Danube was a true testament to Ottoman might, resonating throughout the region. This victory boosted Ottoman morale and sent a unequivocal warning to all other potential challengers who might dare to test his resolve.

Back in the Ottoman camp, the soldiers celebrated their victory with feasts and song. Next morning Mehmed left a significant garrison force in Targoviste to oversee Wallachian abide to the terms, while he led his main army and the new Wallachian hostages back into Ottoman territory. As Wallachian campaign had concluded, Mehmed noticed his body weakening by the day. The arduous campaign had put additional stress on his already weakened body, and he began coughing blood regularly on his way return. Yet, he had no time to be distracted, and his mind was already turned to his next move against Bedreddin. This time he intended to crush it once and for all.

The Wallachians were left to pick up the pieces of their shattered country and crushed ambitions. Mircea the Great, their strong Voivode, couldn’t stand the devastating blow and died soon after the surrender, leaving a large political void that would be difficult to fill, and left the Wallachians unable to focus their attention outside their borders in the foreseeable future.

The Ottomans' swift and decisive victory over the Wallachians sent shockwaves through the Balkans. The rebels in Bulgaria, led by the prestigious Sheikh Bedreddin and his highly trusted lieutenant Ivan, now found themselves facing a new and ominous reality.

For the last two years, Bedreddin and his rebels had dealt a series of blows to Ottoman forces, enlarging their territory, growing their ranks and increasing their supplies. With an expanded influence, and wishing to grow the rebellion further, the rebels had left their stronghold in Dobrudja and sending their main forces into the fertile and rich central Bulgaria to contest with Ottoman rule for local grains and people. For a time, they succeeded in securing most of central Bulgaria under rebel control, and it seemed the Ottomans were on the retreat and the rebellion was gaining momentum, until now.

The winter of 1418 was a bleak time for Bulgaria and for Bedreddin’s rebels. The central Bulgarian land, once fertile and prosperous, now lay barren and desolate under the shadow of renewed Ottoman aggression. The air was heavy with the smoke of burned villages and the cries of the oppressed.

Mehmed was not a man devoid of compassion, but his past setbacks had taught him a hard lesson: the only effective way to counter the guerrilla tactics of the rebels was to wage a ruthless war of extermination. He resolved to deny the rebels any resources they could use and to mercilessly eliminate any populace that showed sympathy towards the rebellion. Therefore, upon his return to his main camp at Tirnovo, Mehmed promptly ordered his vast cavalry forces to embark on a mission of destruction across Bulgaria.

As Mehmed’s order was carried out, the Ottoman cavalry thundered across the Bulgarian landscape, burning and pillaging with merciless efficiency. Villages were torched, crops destroyed, and livestock slaughtered. The screams of the helpless civilians echoed across the countryside, their pleas for mercy falling on deaf ears.

The Ottomans showed no mercy, even to women and children. They raped and murdered without remorse, leaving a trail of horror and devastation in their wake. The Bulgarian economy, barely recovered from past struggles and warfare, was now in utter tatters, its people reduced to starvations in the cold and desolate winter, many killed by the Ottomans, even more succumbed to cold and hunger. Within three months many tens of thousands of Bulgarians were dead, with order and the fabrics that held the society together completely collapsed.

The rebels were unable to withstand the fury of the Ottoman onslaught. Their Wallachian allies deserted them, following the orders of their lords who were now subjugated by the Ottomans. As their stores were set aflame by the Ottomans, the rebels' supplies dwindled, leaving them stretched to the limit.

Ivan, the well experienced rebel leader in charge of military campaigns in Bulgaria, watched the carnage unfold. He knew that with each passing day, the situation became more dire. His men were cold, demoralized and hungry; their supplies were dwindling, their numbers shrinking, and their position in central Bulgaria ever more perilous.

The past years of military actions had made Ivan a strong and resolute leader, he knew that against the overwhelming force of the Ottomans, to send his men into pitched battles was futile. He saw the suffering of his people, and he knew that he had to make a choice – a choice that would save the lives of his men, even if it meant surrendering the land they loved to the enemy.

"We cannot hold on much longer," Ivan confessed in a letter to his prophet, Sheikh Bedreddin who resided in the rebel base camp in Dobrudja. "The Ottomans are too strong, and our allies have deserted us, we cannot contest the Ottoman army on the open field of central Bulgaria, we must regroup into the mountains, save the lives of our brothers, gather our strength, and defeat the Ottomans through ambushes and skirmishes."

However, the situation deteriorated much faster than what Ivan had anticipated. A traitor had surrendered to the Ottomans and betrayed the critical information on the concentration of rebel forces to the Ottomans. The overall Ottoman commander of the campaign, a capable general Turahan Bey, immediately seized on the information and led his army into a decisive attack. The rebels, although warned, were forced to face the Ottoman army at the open, and was largely crushed, with many of their leading men and core veterans dead or captured.

The remaining rebels which escaped the battle, exhausted and demoralized, led by Ivan began the long and arduous journey back to Dobrudja. They left behind a land that was now a smoking ruin, its people reduced to slaves and beggars.

As the rebels retreated back into Dobrudja, their numbers significantly reduced, and morale in shatters, Ottoman forces began to withdrew from the now devastated central Bulgaria to rest and regroup, they left a landscape of ruin and despair.

By the time the snow melted and spring buds sprout out, the villages of central Bulgaria were empty of souls, the fields barren, bones and remains lie open in the air, and the air itself was heavy with the scent of death and destruction.

And so, at great cost to his own land and people, Mehmed finally turned the tide against the rebels. Although his body weakened to a stage where he had to spend most of the day resting in a chair, he envisaged that once his army has rested from their relentless campaigns, he would strike the rebels at their weakest, and ride them once and for all. After that, he would finally be able to concentrate all his attention on a punitive action against that irritating and trouble-seeking Roman Despot Andronikos. These young Roman princes had forgotten to fear the Ottomans, it is high time to give them a heads up.

Truly fantastic chapter, very worrying the development of the situation for the Rhomanois, with Mehmed having just emerged victorious over the rebels in Bulgaria and Wallachia, is that now he wants / can concentrate on bringing Constantinople and the young Paleologos back into line, now we will see if the reforms conceived by your despot, they will have been useful in allowing the empire to resist until the hoped-for aid can finally arrive, I remembered one thing, namely that John VIII in Otl made two trips to Italy, in 1423 and 1439, considering the happy news that Andronikos has just received from Latin Europe ( the preparation of a crusade around 1421 ) we can imagine that Manuel or Andronikos may decide to send John to see with his own eyes the preparations of the alleged expedition and perhaps speak again with the protagonists involved

A fair chance the Rhomanois may get a big break with the death of Mehmed which seems increasingly likely to be soon. His breaking Bulgaria and Wallachia leaves them unable to respond and gain territory if a civil war for succession develops after his death. Gives Andronikos perhaps a chance to seize the bulk of Ottoman territory in Europe.

Truly fantastic chapter, very worrying the development of the situation for the Rhomanois, with Mehmed having just emerged victorious over the rebels in Bulgaria and Wallachia, is that now he wants / can concentrate on bringing Constantinople and the young Paleologos back into line, now we will see if the reforms conceived by your despot, they will have been useful in allowing the empire to resist until the hoped-for aid can finally arrive, I remembered one thing, namely that John VIII in Otl made two trips to Italy, in 1423 and 1439, considering the happy news that Andronikos has just received from Latin Europe ( the preparation of a crusade around 1421 ) we can imagine that Manuel or Andronikos may decide to send John to see with his own eyes the preparations of the alleged expedition and perhaps speak again with the protagonists involved
OTL Ioannes travelled to Europe seeking aid after his disastrous war with the new Ottoman Sultan Murad. In this TL, as the leader of the hawkish faction arguing for an aggressive stance against the Ottomans, Ioannes may be too occupied to leave Constantinople in the foreseeable future. ;)

A fair chance the Rhomanois may get a big break with the death of Mehmed which seems increasingly likely to be soon. His breaking Bulgaria and Wallachia leaves them unable to respond and gain territory if a civil war for succession develops after his death. Gives Andronikos perhaps a chance to seize the bulk of Ottoman territory in Europe.
A compassionate yet pragmatic man, Mehmed had tried and failed to put down the rebellion with other more benign options. As his health deteriorates, he knows it’s a race against the time before he could consolidate his empire.

More updates will come this week, as we are reaching an important stage of the first stage of the story.

CHAPTER 19 – A FIRE DOUSED New
CHAPTER 19 – A FIRE DOUSED

"Run! Run! Save our lives!"

A large group of rebels tried to flee from a failed ambush. They had been patiently waiting in the lush forest on a vital pathway in Southern Dobrudja to strike at small contingents of Ottoman troops or supply trains, a tactic they utilized to great success in the past.

However, time had passed and circumstances changed. The Ottomans were now well-aware of the guerilla tactics used by the rebels, and made great efforts at adapting and countering them.

A lightly guarded supply train moved along the way, attracting attention from the ambushing rebels. They saw it as an opportunity to strike and sprung into actions. A couple of the Ottoman guards were surprised and killed by crossbow bolts, the rest spread out and used their horses to break away from the fight. Then, instead of panicking or fighting the rebels, they sounded their horns and remained at distance and shadow rebel move.

The rebels, lacking sufficient cavalry, couldn’t close their distance against the numerically inferior Ottomans, and were pinned down by their constant harassment. Within half an hour of the blazed horns, a large contingent of Ottoman cavalry reinforcement arrived at scene, and regained battlefield advantages. As more Ottoman reinforcements arrive, the rebels seeing their ambush exposed, began to panic, their lines shaken, and then the Ottomans struck.

Horse archers send arrows flying into chaotic formation, a devastating heavy cavalry charge killed many on impact, and dispersed the rest. They tried to flee into the dense woods, but the Ottomans now accustomed to the environment, dispatched from their horses and gave pursuit on foot, with archers picking down fleeing rebels one by one.

By the end of the encounter, over two hundred rebels lie dead, against only a dozen of Ottoman casualty.

The city of Zagora, situated in southern Bulgaria, is the largest settlement the rebels controlled, and now isolated due to retreating rebel forces and fully surrounded by Ottomans, became the victim of relentless bombardment. A total of 1500 rebel defenders in the city fought heroically against an overwhelming Ottoman force for forty days, killing many times their number before all perishing under Ottoman fires.

Inch by inch, the Ottomans relentlessly moved forward. Devastated by defeat after defeat, and seeing their proven guerilla tactics become ineffective and dangerous, slowly the rebel morale began to crack. Units that once were brave and courageous now fled at the sight of Ottoman cavalry. Local populace utterly tired and manpower pool exhausted no longer flocked to the rebellion, instead mass desertion began to appear, and as a result of battle casualties and desertions, the rebel’s number shrank rapidly.

During its zenith Bedreddin had over 20.000 men under his banner, now that number has reduced to around 4.000 men, retreating further and further into the dense marshes of Deliorman, back to the birthplace of rebellion, a place where many die-hard rebels intend to fight a last stance, hoping to recreate the great victory of Deliorman at the beginning of the rebellion three years ago.

The advancing Ottomans, knowing they had arrived to the final stage of their operation, and learning from past mistakes, advanced carefully and cautiously, denying the rebels their chance of major ambush or weakening efforts. On late June of 1419, despite suffering considerable casualties due to the tough terrain and some difficult skirmishes with rebels on high ground, the Ottomans under the command of Turahan Bey managed to encircle the rebels into their final base camp in Deliorman. A very defensible small town on a cliff, where most of the rebels and their family were located.

This is where the final battle of the rebellion of Bedreddin happened. Ottomans showered the town with projectiles and small firearms days and night, regardless of the costs. Due to the rough terrain cannons couldn’t be brought up, so the Turahan Bey decided to use the age-old tactic of storming the fortified town with ramps and ladders.

Many Ottoman soldiers died during the assault, many more pressed forwards, and their overwhelming numbers soon flooded the rebel’s defenses. Walls collapsed, gate smashing open, three days of relentless assaults day and night managed to break through rebel defense at last. As the Ottomans poured into the town, seeing their cause lost, their belief broken, in desperation some of the rebel survivors retreated into their barracks, then set their own camps ablaze, and a quick fire engulfed the remnants of the rebellion.

The final rebel resistance died on the fateful day of 21 June 1419. However, once Turahan noticed the absence of Sheikh Bedreddin, he immediately sent all his men on a thorough manhunt. He knew well the serious consequence for him if Bedreddin managed to escape - if not captured, this dangerous man giving time and opportunity could yet again threaten the Ottomans once more.

It seemed the fortunes had indeed turned. Five days later, an Ottoman searching party along the Danube River noticed a group of cloaked men near an edge of a forest pushing a small fishing boat into the river. Alerted, the party of cavalrymen rode towards the suspicious men, and when these men began to panic and flee, they knew they’ve caught up with a group of fleeing rebels.

The few rebels that drew their weapons were quickly cut down, and a couple armless men were captured and brought to the commander of the searching party. When the hood came off of one of the captives, they instantly realized that good fortune had dawned upon them. For they have captured the rebel leader Sheikh Bedreddin alive.

The news of Bedreddin’s capture quickly reached Mehmed. Excited, exhilarated, then exhausted, Mehmed had a very complex feeling. On one hand he was relieved by the end of a three year long struggle, that had seen him pushed back and suffered greatly, so a final victory seemed ever so sweet; yet on the other hand, a huge cost was paid to reach this point - his ever deteriorating health, his own men that he were forced to execute for failure, men he had to sacrifice for strategic gains, his own people he had to slaughter to deny the rebels their resources, all of these hard decisions weigh so heavily on Mehmed that the victory seemed more bitter than sweet.

Mehmed hid his depressive emotions deep within himself, and ordered Bedreddin be brought around the important cities inside the Ottoman Sultanate for parades as a warning to others. Although another important rebel leader Ivan was nowhere to be found, with Bedreddin the leader of the rebellion captured, everyone including Mehmed knew the largest commoner rebellion the Ottoman Sultanate had ever seen was finally over.

However, the jubilant mood in Edirne was not to last long. Just as the captured Sheikh Bedreddin were paraded in the streets of Tirnovo, and were escorted by Hamza Bey and dozens of Sipahis toward Serres in Macedonia, a hastily arrived herald from Edirne intercepted the group, and gave to Hamza Bey a direct order from Mehmed.

“Sultan Mehmed wants Bedreddin to be executed immediately and on the spot?” very surprised by his new order, Hamza Bey asked the herald for confirmation.

“That is the will of the Sultan, yes.” The herald, a young guard named Mahmud which Hamza Bey had known from the palace in Edirne before, answered affirmatively.

“Tell me, my friend Mahmud, did something unexpected happen in Edirne? Or in the Palace?” Hamza Bey smiled and placed a small bag of coins into the sleeve of Mahmud, not turning a hair.

Mahmud hesitated for a while, before slowly revealing a news that shocked Hamza Bey to his core.

“Sultan… Our great Sultan, he is gravely ill…”

“How could this be…?” the news came so shocking that Hamza Bey almost refused to believe. Yet it all made sense to him now, that a gravely ill Sultan would want Bedreddin ridded from this earthly world before anything unforeseeable happened.

Mehmed could no longer afford time to stick to his original plan to parade Bedreddin across the country as an example, and give Bedreddin a proper religious trial before execution to soothe the mood of the religious community, which still saw Bedreddin as a genius Islamic Jurist.

Bedreddin must be eliminated by all cost, now.

Despite being an arch adversary to his Sultan, and causing so much pain and suffering across the lands, Hamza Bey had come to respect the elderly Bedreddin for his collected demeanors and deep wisdom shown along the way. Yet, understanding the Sultan’s purpose behind the order, the ever-faithful Hamza Bey will execute that order without any questions.

Bedreddin was sitting on the grassy ground, his hands tied, his mouth whispering words of prayers. As he noticed Hamza Bey walking towards him with sword half-drawn, he knew his time to leave the earthly realm had arrived.

“Dear Hamza, you have received an order to kill me, no?”

“Unfortunately, wise sheikh, I have received…”

“Say no more, young man, I commend you for your honesty, and I am ready to return to Allah. Please be quick with my old bones.”

Hamza Bey took a deep breath, then suddenly swung the sword in his hand. The blade cut through the air in a sharp arc, whistling loudly as it approached Bedreddin’s head.

The elder Bedreddin’s face remained serene, as if everything was within his expectations. He made no attempt to dodge or beg for mercy, simply waiting calmly for the moment to arrive.

Minutes later, Hamza Bey jumped back on his horse, then he cried to his men with all his strength: “All men on horse, full speed to Edirne immediately!”