D.B.W.I Trump did not run in 1996?

If Trump didn't run, Bob Dole as it was "his turn," would've been the Republican nominee and he would've lost the general election to Clinton. The economy was good and Dole would be easier to tie to the Government shut down and to Newt Gingrich than Trump. For 2000, so long as their is no major scandal, Al Gore beats whoever the GOP puts up (Governor George W. Bush, Senator John McCain?).

While, it helped that Trump was a "Perot Republican." I mean, for all the hate he got from the establishment, he probably stopped Perot from running a second campaign and managed to get a lot of the support Perot won in 1992.

As for who would be the nominee without Trump, that's hard to say. Phil Gramm came close to beating Trump anyway, so he'd probably have a decent shot. Maybe Christine Todd Whitman? She definitely wasn't as populist as Trump, but she was pretty popular and probably win over the moderate Republicans who supported Trump IOTL.

With all the talk about possible GOP candidates, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room, Former President George HW Bush.

Lets not forget how close the 1992 election was due to Perot. Clinton only won because the election was decided by the Democrat-controlled House. The only reason Bush didn't run in 1996 was because his former VP, Kemp, endorsed Trump so early on.

Even without Bush running, Keep Kemp from backing Trump and Trump loses the image that he wasn't just Perot 2.0, and causes even more backlash from the establishment.

Trump wasn't that anti-establishment, he was just more moderate on social issues, but that did him in. His crazy rhetoric didn't start until 2008 or so when Obama was challenging Hillary Clinton. I can't believe some Republicans are thinking about bringing him back 20 years later.

Now, that's a what if- I'm lucky I still have a job even if my pay has been slashed in half, but unemployment is still over 15% (real unemployment is like 30%). I wonder if Obama could have beaten McCain and stopped the 2nd Great Depression. I have no idea how McCain won re-election in 2008 - but I guess the economy hadn't spiraled down enough yet, he was still popular for fixing Afghanistan after all.

The last two Presidents not being able to complete their terms really hurt- McCain's death wasn't that unexpected given his age, Bush Jr had only one year , and then John Edwards discredited populism with his sex scandal and being forced out. Gabby Giffords- I like her, hope she gets a chance to turn things around, even if that was a bit of a weird choice by Edwards.

[OOC: timeline of presidents, Clinton 92-00 Gore 00-04 McCain 04-11 (died in office), Bush Jr 11-12 Edwards 12-13 (resigned) Giffords 13-present]

Last edited:
Would Bill Clinton still of loss relection?
What does this mean?

Reminds me of http://www.engrish.com/

instructions-for-the-tourist.jpg

Presidents TTL:

42. William J. "Bill" Clinton (D-AR): 1993-1997

43. Donald J. Trump (R-NY)1997-2001

44. William J. "Bill" Clinton (D-AR) : 2001-2005

45. Albert A. "Al" Gore Jr. (D-TN): 2005-2009

46. W. Mitt Romney (R-MA): 2009-2013

47. Russell D. "Russ" Feingold (D-WI): 2013-Present