Culture of an America that never joined WW2

Fairly straightforward: What would Ameican culture be like in an alternate America that never joined WW2. Let's go with two scenarios:

1. The Axis win and secure Europe and Asia, but the new world remains free.
2. Britain and the USSR still manage to defeat the Axis, but have a harder time.

A more isolationist America. Segregation would still be around. There might be some anti-Axis sentiments, but without any "teachery" like Pearl Harbor, it may not be calling for total capitulation of the Axis.

One question, since the British Empire and the USSR still defeat the Axis but at very expensive cost, does Lend Lease still occur here?

Possibly.
Assuming Lend Lease occurs here, the 1940s American mindset would be "Hey, that war is not our problem but at least we are helping the British and the Russians fight the Axis. As long as they don't attack us, it's none of our business."

Britain without Lend Lease would have sued for peace with Germany. The USSR would have fought on but at a very terrible cost.

A more isolationist America. Segregation would still be around. There might be some anti-Axis sentiments, but without any "teachery" like Pearl Harbor, it may not be calling for total capitulation of the Axis.

One question, since the British Empire and the USSR still defeat the Axis but at very expensive cost, does Lend Lease still occur here?

Would be more limited. Its another variable in terms of how much less.

Like all US war costs LL was financed through a combination of taxation and borrowing. ie: Luxury taxes, increased income taxes, government Bonds, ect... If the US is not at war there less ability to create that level of financing.

What I am looking is the war production of OTL does not occur & large swaths of OTL industry do not exist in the alternate 1945 or 1950. The stagnation or the US economy circa 1939 is only dimly remembered. Unemployment was still high. Labor skill were atrophying, and infrastructure crumbling from underuse. ie: Up to 30% of the railroad capacity of 1910 was no longer in use. Absent US involvement in the war & the inability of the USSR and Britain to pay for it, the US industrial base is not revitalized to the same level as OTL.

Last edited:

I think it'd last longer, but I have a hard time seeing Jim Crow last until the present.

I think it'd last longer, but I have a hard time seeing Jim Crow last until the present.
It definitely will be. Remember that WWII paved the way for decolonization of European colonies and also for desegregation. I know the African-Americans still had to fight for another 20 years for it in OTL. Without American entry into WWII, the butterflies would mean the TTL's equivalent of the Civil Rights Act would be significantly delated.