Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
Playing as a Welsh Britannia I was attempting to annex a Norse/Norse ruled county and then he converted.

Thing is I wasn't using the holy war CB so I was like this:

Me: Gib clay nao...:mad:

Norse Count: I convert, I convert! Hopefully we can put this nastiness behind us?:eek:

Me: Good, but gib clay nao.:cool:

I have returned to my Charlemagne gameplay as Carolus Magnus himself and I've finally managed to form the HRE. Now, I'm more or less working on the stability of the thing.

However, there is one thing that I'd like to do: I've got the option to embrace Carolingian Renaissance which, from what I get, is basically shifting my culture from Frankish to French, and doing the same with my family but not my provinces... I'd like to take that option but most of my nobility and lands are still of Frankish culture. Should I wait to have a few provinces shift culture before embracing the Renaissance?

Also, small thing to note: in my playthrough, Charlemagne's only son is Pepin the Hunchback, whom I legitimized. Guess the Hunchback is going to be a lot luckier than OTL...

There's a game on steam called Chivalry: Medieval Warfare that's 75% off that's basically what would happen in CK2 if you got to actually be a part of battles and sieges. first person slasher. So tempted to get it.

Sevarics said:
There's a game on steam called Chivalry: Medieval Warfare that's 75% off that's basically what would happen in CK2 if you got to actually be a part of battles and sieges. first person slasher. So tempted to get it.
It's been quite a while since I last played it but Chivalry was quite a fun game and I've always found it a good way to let out some steam. It's a bit frustrating at times, I tend to think Archers are OP (because they have the longest attack range) but still I had good fun playing the game. Besides, there is even a special key so that you character lets out a goofy but fun warcry that I keep using :p. And the online community is pretty decent: there is the occasionnal troll, but I've generally had few problems.

If you're tempted, give it a shot. Though honestly, don't spend too much money on the thing because you might regret it if you don't like it.

Well, I finally went back to my Charlemagne game. Charles ended up dying one year later than OTL: I'm pretty sure I didn't conquer as much territory as he did (Bavaria is still independant thoug allied, there is no Marcia Hispanica and I never went to war with the Avars). That said, I think the biggest challenge is yet to come for me.

For one, Charlemagne only had one son in my scenario: Pepin the Hunchback. The Hunchback however pretty much died like OTL though he left one son behind who succeeded Charlemagne: Robert I, Holy Roman Emperor, King of West, East and Middle Francia, King of Aquitaine, Burgundy, the Netherlands, Italy and Saxony. A thirteen year old whose current regent is the Doge of Genoa because I was unable to find how to appoint a designated Regent.

Family-wise, the next-in-line for every throne save maybe Italy is Carloman's greatson: Pepin. Whom I had tutored as Charlemagne and who is not only one of the most competent but also one of the nicest persons around: he has five of the seven virtues and is best pals with his cousin Robert (which is why I'm planning to make him Robert's tutor). Then I believe comes a more distant relative who is the current Duke of Flanders.

I'm a bit worried about the succession right now: Regency periods are always a nightmare in CKII though fortunately this one will be rather short (a bit less than three years). But Saxony hasn't fully converted to Catholicism (though most of its lords did) and most of its lords are Tribals and thus hate Feudalism. The Pope is also not to happy with Robert at the moment, though that probably has to do with the fact that I own two counties he wants control over. To remedy to this situation, I'm considering handing over the Kingdoms of Saxony and Italy to vassals.

Speaking of which, the vassal limit is a bit challenging to manage. I'd like to centralize but I currently can't because I'm really at the limit of the number of vassals I can have. Maybe that's because I'm not ready to grant Kingdoms to my vassals at the moment though. And Feudal revolts sometimes lead me to go over the limit until the revolt is over. Still I like the mechanic though it probably needs a bit of a rework.

A few questions:
1) Can anyone tell me how to designate a Regent for my Empire?
2) How can I vassalize the Pope without going for the Antipope route?

A few questions:
1) Can anyone tell me how to designate a Regent for my Empire?
2) How can I vassalize the Pope without going for the Antipope route?

award title in the Diplo menu. It also gives people +20 opinion modifier so use it on people very old who you want to like you instead of a gift.

Okay, so I got the "Robin Hood" events except it fired multiple times... I probably got five or six times and each time I took a different option. I've got two Robin Hood in my court, I executed another one, one got away, I travelled with a band of merry men in another scenario and I think I even dueled one. Most likely a bug, but at least it's a funny one.

Other funny bug I had is that my wife gave birth to two sons who have an age difference of five days... One was born on March 11, the other on March 16. They're not considered twins but I have a hard time picturing a woman giving birth to two children in such a short amount of time :p

In other news, they really need to rework the way Gavelkind succession works. I mean, the way the titles are going to be distributed by the computer makes absolutely no sense. Which is why I've decided to distribute the titles between my sons before I die. As far as I've decided:

• My eldest son, Pepin, is getting the Lion's Share: I will grant him a grand total of five Kingdoms: the Three Francias, Aquitaine and Burgundy. I'm also granting to him the Duchy of Valois and the counties that are within it except for Paris (which is my capital)
  • My second son André is getting the Netherlands, the Duchy of Guelre and its counties.
  • My third son, Thomas, will get Italy, with Crémone as its Capital (it's the only Italian county I have...)
I hesitated between doing that and switching to elective. Honestly though? I've always found switching to elective to be a risky move and I need to hand a few Kingdoms because of the Vassal limit.

In other news, they really need to rework the way Gavelkind succession works. I mean, the way the titles are going to be distributed by the computer makes absolutely no sense. Which is why I've decided to distribute the titles between my sons before I die. As far as I've decided:

They are. Changing gavelkind, I mean. It should produce a more sensible title distribution after the next patch.

Anyone have any advice for an Abyssinia game starting in 867? I kind of have a hankering to take the Solominids and make them a superpower...

Workable Goblin said:
They are. Changing gavelkind, I mean. It should produce a more sensible title distribution after the next patch.
I sure hope so, because the way the division of my empire is planned by the AI makes absolutely no sense. It's like the game wants a civil war to happen...

I think in my next game I will have my custom character be a Messalian Christian and play as incestuous as I can with the members of my dynasty

I sure hope so, because the way the division of my empire is planned by the AI makes absolutely no sense. It's like the game wants a civil war to happen...

I shall give the North and West coast to one son, and the south coast and interior to the other.

I will remind you that historically speaking that was how it worked, if there wasn't a civil war you weren't doing it right

So playing a game as Wessex. The Empire of Charlemagne held together for one generation, but the sudden death of his only surviving son his three grandchildren broke it up into West Francia which included West Francia and Middle Francia, Italy including Italy and Aquitaine, and East Francia including East Francia and Burgundy. Eventually West Francia conquered Bavaria. The King of Italy died before reaching adulthood and Aquitaine went to West Francia. Italy became independent.

Currently two of my daughters and youngest sister are married to the kings of those three countries. The equivalent of Sweden (can't remember the name) raised an army of almost ten thousand and invaded Pictland. Currently the two kingdoms are in the middle of slaughtering each other. My king is preparing to declare war on Sweden in support of Pictland (to keep the damn Pagans out).

Alternatively I'll use Mercia's distraction with events in Pictland to eviscerate their country and conquer the rest.

The Byzantine Empire is collapsing, the king of Pannonia is on the verge of taking the Kingdom of Greece, though if they could get rid of their incompetent regent things would very rapidly improve.