Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.
Thing is I'm not sure I can transfer vassals to the Pope. Didn't seem to have the option when I looked at the diplomatic screen between me and the Pope.

The Patrimony is automatically transferred when the HRE decision is taken, so that's not an option.

I simply bought indulgences and went on a pilgrimage to Rome. I did luck out at beat back two holy wars from the Umayyads though.

I hate, hate, hate Seniority succession. I've been trying to change it back to Primogeniture since I managed to unite Ireland, but it's going to take three successive kings (all of whom will probably suck), and they're all old.

Krall

Banned
I hate, hate, hate Seniority succession. I've been trying to change it back to Primogeniture since I managed to unite Ireland, but it's going to take three successive kings (all of whom will probably suck), and they're all old.

Could you switch to Elective in the meantime?

Really? I love elective. It makes your vassals like you more, and you can pick the best heir every time. There really are no downsides, as long as you correctly manage your vassals.

I play a lot as Irish/Breton characters so Tanistry is this for me, makes family like you, vassals like you and you always keep the title in the family. I also try to keep the number of eligible voters fairly low so I only have to worry about a few vassals opinion. Seldom have any problems. But I am careful with my minions.

Shame Tanistry is exclusively Celtic though.

Biden&Ceaser'12 said:
Really? I love elective. It makes your vassals like you more, and you can pick the best heir every time. There really are no downsides, as long as you correctly manage your vassals.
Well, there is still a risk that they elect someone not of your dynasty.

Besides, with the new patch, Elective has become a bit more versatile. Having a vassal like you no longer guarantees he will vote for your candidate.
Legend-in-Exile said:
Shame Tanistry is exclusively Celtic though.
I thought all player characters could have access to Tanistry and that it was only restricted to Celtic for the AI.

Well, there is still a risk that they elect someone not of your dynasty.

Besides, with the new patch, Elective has become a bit more versatile. Having a vassal like you no longer guarantees he will vote for your candidate.
I thought all player characters could have access to Tanistry and that it was only restricted to Celtic for the AI.

They can't elect anyone outside your family.

And tanistry is celtic culture group specific, at least it always used to be. Only played as Irish since the latest patch so don't know if that's changed.

From the wiki;
Tanistry

With Tanistry succession, the ruler and all vassals at one and two ranks below can nominate an heir - the Tanist - from among the members of the ruler's dynasty. Vassals will tend to favour older members from other branches of the family, especially claimants. The oldest child of the ruler has a -40 opinion penalty towards their parent (if not the Tanist), all other dynasty members have a +10 opinion boost, and all vassals have a +5 opinion boost.

In order to change the succession law to Tanistry a ruler needs to meet the following conditions:

Has not previously changed the succession law
Has reigned for at least 10 years
Is at peace
No regency
No vassals are fighting each other
No vassal of count rank or higher has a negative opinion of the ruler
Celtic culture (Breton, Irish, Scottish, or Welsh)

Dirk

Banned
Paradox and their bullshit. What if I want to play as Charlemagne but don't want the gigantic pointless India map expansion that'll make my computer burst into flames? Well, I'm shit out of luck!

Paradox and their bullshit. What if I want to play as Charlemagne but don't want the gigantic pointless India map expansion that'll make my computer burst into flames? Well, I'm shit out of luck!
Well, there is a mod in the Workshop that removes Indian provinces and files (creatively titled "No India"). Not sure if it works well or not, but that might help?

Otherwise, I had similar problems before I upgraded to a 64bit OS and I found if you turned off the water/river/skies/trees/HD in the setting, you could still have most of the graphics and run it without much issue on a 4gb 32bit system.

India has nothing to do with what expansions you own. It would be there if you owned none.

Dirk

Banned
India has nothing to do with what expansions you own. It would be there if you owned none.

Exactly. I don't want it to be there, that's my point. You can't have Charlemagne if you don't have the patch that came free concurrently with RoI, which includes India in the game no matter if you want it or the expansion or not.

Krall

Banned
They can't elect anyone outside your family.

They were talking about Elective, not Tanistry. It is possible for your vassals to elect someone outside of your dynasty under Elective.

I think you're thinking of creating kingdom and empire titles - the AI is restricted for some of them where the player isn't, but with Tanistry you have to be Celtic. It's like how you have to be Basque (or the appropriate religion) to use the Absolute Cognatic gender law.

They were talking about Elective, not Tanistry. It is possible for your vassals to elect someone outside of your dynasty under Elective.

I think you're thinking of creating kingdom and empire titles - the AI is restricted for some of them where the player isn't, but with Tanistry you have to be Celtic. It's like how you have to be Basque (or the appropriate religion) to use the Absolute Cognatic gender law.

Of course you are right, my mistake. I know it's possible under elective though (it's one of the reasons I only use elective if I have to ie I'm not Celtic and have a manageable amount of electors.)

Finally finished a very long CK2 random campaign from the Old Gods start. I jumped to a random character every 25-75 years, which kept things fresh and interesting. Also played with retinues disabled, which made the map a lot more explosive (alongside me breaking up blobs as a player)

Political:
ck2_Pol.png

ck2_PolMap.png

Dynastic:
ck2_dyn.png

Things of note:
Started out as the count of Luxemburg and founded the Schadenfreud Dynasty. First priority was to ensure Lotharingia's survival and second was break the Karlings. Took over Lotharingia (minus Burgundy) within a generation, and the Karlings were driven out to Aquitaine with the help of some adventurers. Could have formed the HRE, but decided to destroy East Francia and Bavaria and hand out their remains to my dynasty instead to keep things interesting. The Schadenfreuds would rule Lotharingia for ~400 years before being driven out, returning, etc... but by then the dynasty had spread far and wide.

Around 1200 I rolled another Schadenfreud in East Germany and decided to make Prussia (Brandunburg). The Baltics were still pagan and a giant bloody mess, so it too a while to carve through them all. Also won a crusade for Finland and handed it off to a second son. Capped it off by breaking up a blobbed Lotharingia and returning Chaos to central Germany.

Spain was pretty well balanced between Christians in Aragon-Aquitaine and Muslim until ~1000 when I rolled the OPM King of Asturias. After lots of waiting and an alliance with France I was able to successfully push his claim on Aragon, then crusade my way to Gibraltar. Split up Iberia between his descendants ~50 years later.

Mauretania is French and Christian. Somehow a Capet got a claim and went adventuring; kicking out the Shia and converting the land. Sadly the Capets lost power, and never amounted to much in France. Mali survives and is still pagan.

Rus is ruled by the Putin Dynasty, who brought order to the fractured and chaotic region after centuries of pagan wars and breakups. Sadly they got smacked around quite a bit by Ruthenia after I left them.

The Golden Horde converted to Hinduism, but never got beyond the borders of Rus and Ruthenia. They fragmented into a half dozen states around 1400. The Ilkhanate ruled from Turkestan to Arabia, but was outweighed by Rome. They got smacked down to Mesopotamia and Arabia once the Timurids showed up.

Abyssinia was conquered twice by the Sunnis, but re-emerged from peasent revolts both times when their conquerors ran upon hard times.

The Roman Empire was reformed when I rolled the king of Italy and realized the Byzantine Empress was single and childless. Won a crusade for Jerusalem, and better yet the local Muslim megablob was under assault by 300,000 Shia event troops. Managed to take the duchies I needed, and then reformed the Empire. A century later I rolled the OPM duke of Navarra and decided to take it over. Two generations of elusive shadows and lots of dead children later, the Cielcaminar dynasty struck down the Emperor and now rules the Empire as father and sons. Iberia was also conquered in the course of the takeover, but was distributed to secondary sons as usual.

Looking forward to Art of War coming out so I can convert this to EU4; I plan to have Rome convert to the HRE to keep things exciting. I'll probably go back to my first nation of Lotharingia and frolic around in the lovely re-worked colonization areas.

Dirk

Banned
So I decided on a new Haestening playthrough focusing on the mainland instead of going off and conquering parts of England. The Norman cultural center in this timeline is Anjou.

Oohhh shit, who would've thought that Bordeaux is so well guarded?

CHInJ71.jpg

Lolnevermind, I'm safe.
>Karlings
>In charge of keeping realms together

tT4GAe2.jpg

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
So I decided on a new Haestening playthrough focusing on the mainland instead of going off and conquering parts of England. The Norman cultural center in this timeline is Anjou.

Oohhh shit, who would've thought that Bordeaux is so well guarded?

--snipsnip--

Lolnevermind, I'm safe.
>Karlings
>In charge of keeping realms together

--Snipsnip--

Ugly borders be so ugly!:mad::p

Also, if you don't like India and don't play Ironman then play the HIP mod with SWMH. It doesn't have all of India and never will.