Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Krall said:
I haven't played with the new vassal limits much yet, but I dislike it in concept because it's such an artificial limit.
Not really that artificial from my POV if you look at the way it's calculated. It's based on your dynsatic prestige, your diplomacy as well as the level of centralization in your empire. It is thus based on the criterias of the respect for your familly, the image you give to the local populace and the strength of your administration. Not too bad at representing the actual authority you possess I'd say.

Besides, the same thing could be argue about the Personnal Desmesne limit: it also is a bit of an artificial limit. But on the other hand, it does represent how much direct control a ruler can assume over his lands.

Overall, it might be a more "gamey" mechanic than it is realistic but it does have a logical backing. And let's also remember that video games can't replicate reality perfectly: they have limitations. So they're bound to have to use a few artificial limits.
Krall said:
I'd rather there be mechanics in the game that make it more difficult to run a large empire in more organic, logical ways, as opposed to there just being a number I can't go over - that way you actually face the same challenges that large empire faced when overextended historically.
Could you give me an example on the mechanics you envision?
Sevarics said:
All they have to do is portray him with Caligraphy and make it start at his death.
Eh... Not really. That might be okay for the Sunni, but I think the Shiite could have a problem because of Ali.

While I am not Krall, I, too, would like a more organic mechanic in both cases, where limiting the size of your demesne or appointing king-level vassals/viceroys is a natural, emergent feature of ordinary mechanics rather than something that has to be imposed.

My system would be centered on the notion that it's easier to manage a single county than a duchy, and easier to manage a duchy than a kingdom, and, of course, easier a kingdom than an empire. This would be abstracted by a "management efficiency" figure, one dealing with the personal demesne, one dealing with the vassals; in both cases you would start at 100% efficiency with a single county or a single vassal, with no other laws, and experience a decline in efficiency as you vassalized or took control of more territory, down to 0%. Both efficiencies would affect what you get from the relevant groups--100% demesne efficiency means that you get the full allotment of taxes from a controlled castle, whereas 50% means you only get half as much, and the garrison and levy are also penalized. Vassal efficiency would behave similarly, but would also reduce vassal relations as it dropped, making it harder to keep them happy and more likely for them to join factions and revolt. I would also ensure that vassals rebellions are a very serious threat, as they should be. Both efficiencies could, of course, be increased over the course of the game; being at a higher tier would increase them, as would certain technologies in the cultural tree. You could also achieve an efficiency of more than 100% if you kept your realm deliberately smaller than its "natural" limits, at least partially counteracting the possible advantages of having more land.

As a result, the player would have a significant incentive to maintain a small, easy to manage realm rather than a sprawling empire stretching across half the planet, with the latter losing much of its theoretical strength to corruption and intrigue relative to the stability and good governance of the former. Besides a global figure, you might add a local figure that further modifies the efficiency based on the distance to your capital--all else being equal, a vassal or barony located far away (for example in Palestine while you are in England) would be far harder to manage than one nearby, and would tend to be poorly controlled and restless.

Krall

Banned
Not really that artificial from my POV if you look at the way it's calculated. It's based on your dynsatic prestige, your diplomacy as well as the level of centralization in your empire. It is thus based on the criterias of the respect for your familly, the image you give to the local populace and the strength of your administration. Not too bad at representing the actual authority you possess I'd say.

Besides, the same thing could be argue about the Personnal Desmesne limit: it also is a bit of an artificial limit. But on the other hand, it does represent how much direct control a ruler can assume over his lands.

Overall, it might be a more "gamey" mechanic than it is realistic but it does have a logical backing. And let's also remember that video games can't replicate reality perfectly: they have limitations. So they're bound to have to use a few artificial limits.

Oh, I thought it was just determined by your centralisation. I guess that's a better, but it's still not exactly what I'd like.

I'm not sure exactly what mechanics would be most appropriate, but I'd like mechanics that directly represent the causes of imperial overstretch. Like economic collapses that leave the government with little/no spare money; or the degradation of the military that makes your retinues less powerful and have lower morale over time; or perhaps making revolt risk in foreign culture/religion provinces or provinces you're not the de jure liege of high, unless you have certain civic/bureaucratic institutions which are very expensive and prone to becoming less effective over time. Problems which are much more likely to occur and snowball out of all control when you're a huge empire, vulnerabilities that don't mean a whole lot when you're small but can be the crux of your entire society when you're large. That sort of thing, rather than an abstract limit on how big you can be.

LordInsane said:
For the record the dynastic prestige bonus will be removed come the next patch. Said patch is just not out of beta yet.
Hm... Might not be a good idea to do that. Of course, that depends on the exact calculations for the vassal limit. I'll check that when I get the chance.

I think it was removed because it proved to be unbalanced for non-CM starts (specifically, the Karlings in Old Gods and the Rurikids in Vanilla starts became far too powerful).

In any event, there's no indication it permanently gone, just that the beta doesn't use it.

I think it was removed because it proved to be unbalanced for non-CM starts (specifically, the Karlings in Old Gods and the Rurikids in Vanilla starts became far too powerful).

In any event, there's no indication it permanently gone, just that the beta doesn't use it.

They might be able to base it off personal prestige instead. So a new ruler who has never done anything (or a child) would have a harder time maintaining a large empire than an experienced king who inherited the throne at 40. It could also mean that if the ruler got into a really disastrous war and took a big prestige hit their realm might start to splinter around them.

Or have dynasties seperate after they move into a new realm so dynastic prestige doesn't accumulate.

So if you start a game in the Charlemagne start does the Andalusian culture ever form?

I'm guessing so. All the other later-game cultures can form if certain conditions are met. Including some multi-level chains of conditions, like how with a 769 start date, the English culture can only form if a Norman ruler owns at least one Anglo-Saxon county in England, and the Norman culture can only form if a Norse ruler owns at least one county in France.

So if you start a game in the Charlemagne start does the Andalusian culture ever form?

I'm guessing so. All the other later-game cultures can form if certain conditions are met. Including some multi-level chains of conditions, like how with a 769 start date, the English culture can only form if a Norman ruler owns at least one Anglo-Saxon county in England, and the Norman culture can only form if a Norse ruler owns at least one county in France.

Yeah, I just did a game as the Umayyads, Arab leaders convert to Andalusian culture while Visicothic will convert to Andalusian, Catalan, Castilian, Leonese, or Occitanian depending on who rules them. Suebi culture will convert to Portugese or Andalusian.

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
So my PoliSci professor assigned us a paper on political simulations... and declared to one and all that games like Civilization count!:eek:

He hath now opened the Gates of Hell! What now shalt he do about it? Send priests to pray or fill the gate with cattle?:p

Say it all together now: "Twenty-five page After Action Report from CKII!":eek:

Issues with tribals, no decadence, custom kingdoms and empires resetting laws, coat of arms resetting, and there's a lot complaining about retinue costs too.

Don't even mention retinue cost because it is bitch

Also it sometimes will switch to doux and duchy instead of strageos and theMe