Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

B5qCEwE.jpg

Yes, this is Brandon the Daughterless. Without any daughters, much to his frustation! :p

Read up a bit on the Lux Invicta mod. Not sure about the quality of the AH, but the concept does look intriguing if not interesting...

Anyone tried that mod?

Read up a bit on the Lux Invicta mod. Not sure about the quality of the AH, but the concept does look intriguing if not interesting...

Anyone tried that mod?

It's annoying, everything including the much advertised Roman and Persian empires are basically two bleeding provinces. As alternate history it's a absolute joke.

Anyone tried that mod?

It's an ASB scenario where all realms are small and every religion and heresy and nation that ever have existed now exist all at once.

It's annoying, everything including the much advertised Roman and Persian empires are basically two bleeding provinces. As alternate history it's a absolute joke.

The only advertising has "restore the Roman Empire" it doesn't say "control a massive Roman Empire."

Maponus said:
It's annoying, everything including the much advertised Roman and Persian empires are basically two bleeding provinces.
A map full of small realms isn't necessarilly a bad thing. I find Elder Kings to be a perfectly enjoyable mod and yet most of the relams on the map are incredibly small. And while I think Shattered World could be improved, I quite enjoyed my playthrough of it.

Still, given the premise, I can get that it could prove disappointing.
Maponus said:
As alternate history it's a absolute joke.
Yeah, as far as I can judge the Timeline, it's full of self-killing butterfflies and some of them didn't really convince me. It also loves to replicate OTL events... Admittedly with lame twists.
yourworstnightmare said:
It's an ASB scenario where all realms are small and every religion and heresy and nation that ever have existed now exist all at once.
I get that but is it any good?
Ultimate Paragon said:
Sounds really complicated.
CKII itself is a pretty complicated game if you ask me. I don't see how adding tons of religions, heresies and nations is going to make it a lot more complex. Well, not without a good explanation at least.

Lux is okay, if not a bit complicated.

It actually feels sorta lonely to me, if that makes any sense. All the cultures and religions are just so different and strange I have nothing to relate to at all, not that I really do now being a Native American and all.

Besides the strange feeling of isolation, it's a pretty good mod on it's own. I haven't actually used it in months now though, so you'd have to try it for yourself and form your own opinions!

So we're now standing at fifty years later, having gone through 4 more Emperor's (one killed in battle, one of bubonic plague, one assassinated). The Roman Empire has expanded to control the rest of Italia, and conquered thenDuchy of Provence. The Empire's a but unstable right now, but our brand new standing army is helping to maintain order (ie several thousand retinues). We just finished a major civil war after the Emperor siezed the Kingdom of Armenia from the King of Anatolia. Meanwhile the Empress is also Queen of Aquitaine and France, meaning it looks like both will be inherited by the next Emperor when his parents die.

Portugal has been conquered by Hispania, uniting that Empire, which now stretches into Mauretania and even parts of Mali.

The Holy Roman Empire saw a brief resurgence, but has now collapsed into another civil war, with the duchies that preserved independanxe swooping in to take counties separated by the rebellions. The Khanate of the Golden Horde has suffered a similar collapse, though not as swift or spectacular.

The Ilkhanate is gone, absorbed by the Marzuban Empire and the Go,den Horde many years ago. Scandinavia has broken away from English rule, but fractured shortly after independance.

Currently the Roman Emperor is trying to work out if there is any way to threaten the Pagans into converting. I haven't found one yet.

Edit: Also, is there a way to cut down on the number of children the Emperor and his wife have? They are standing at 5 right now, and she's pregnant again. Two Emperor's ago there were eight children. Before that, seven. It's getting hard to find lands for all of them.

Last edited:
wcv215 said:
Edit: Also, is there a way to cut down on the number of children the Emperor and his wife have? They are standing at 5 right now, and she's pregnant again. Two Emperor's ago there were eight children. Before that, seven. It's getting hard to find lands for all of them.
You're not force to give lands to your children. There is no penalty for not giving lands to daughters (unless maybe if you're absolute cognatic but I don't think so) and the penalty is -0.8 prestige/month for every son that isn't landed unless you're on Gavelkind Succession in which case there is no penalty (but your titles are divied between your sons upon death).

Losing prestige for unlanded sons isn't that big of a deal. In fact, the penalty is most likely cancelled from the prestige you get from your titles and your vassals if you're playing as an Emperor-level character. Because as far as it goes:

• Each Imperial Title gives you +1.6 prestige/month. That easily compensates having two unlanded sons.
  • Each Kingdom Title gives you +0.8 prestige/month. That easily compensates having one unlanded son.
  • Each Ducal Title gives you +0.2 prestige/month. Having 4 Dukes as Vassals compensates for having one unlanded son. Holding 4 Dukedoms can also do the trick but personnal experience tells me that Vassals are angered at Kings and Emperors holding 3 or more Ducal Titles, with a -10 opinion penalty at 3 and another -10 for every supplementary dukedom you personnally hold (i.e. having 4 is -20, 5 is -30, etc...)
Not to mention the penalty only starts to kick in when your sons reach maturity (16). And there are chances that the youngest may not be mature when your character dies.

May be a redundant question, but what is a good beginners character in East Francia for a 867 start? Whenver I play a strategy game I will always pick the Germans if the option is given to me. I've tried the Dukes of Saxony but the damned Danes cause a lot of problems for me. Maybe a count in Bavaria instead?

Before you say anything, I am not picking an Irish count because I hate the Irish.

Okay, I guess the younger ones are just going to have to learn not to plot against each other. Hopefully when their mother does though the same son will inherit France and I can start giving away lands there. The downside being of course that it'll be one less family to marry my daughters I to, and there already are nots many options*.

Now if Only I could figure out a way to convert the Wendish empire I would finally have "equal" to work,with.

*Kind of role playing a little, so there's no way my daughters are going to marry anyone below the level of independant Duke, and it is much preferred if they marry a King. Thedora had a point after all.

Okay, I guess the younger ones are just going to have to learn not to plot against each other. Hopefully when their mother does though the same son will inherit France and I can start giving away lands there. The downside being of course that it'll be one less family to marry my daughters I to, and there already are nots many options*.

If you're worried about the number of children, and your wife will pass down titles, why not just plot to have her killed? You might father bastards after that, but they can easily be excluded from the succession, and it sounds like you have an heir and multiple spares already.

If you're worried about the number of children, and your wife will pass down titles, why not just plot to have her killed? You might father bastards after that, but they can easily be excluded from the succession, and it sounds like you have an heir and multiple spares already.

Erm, because she has an intrigue skill almost half again that of my spymaster (hers is about 25). I'm kind of scared of her. Also, from an in-game perspective the two are in love (I got the event and everything).

And now it doesn't matter as she just died during childbirth at the age of 32. With 7 kids.

Last edited: