Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

Krall

Banned
I know that: I have High Crown Authority in each and every of my Kingdoms. In fact, when I created Burgundy, it came de facto with High Crown Authority because I was already at High Crown Authority in France and Britanny.

Though I wonder something... Do Empire and Kingdom crown authority stack? I.E.: Do Vassals receive penalties for Crown Authority in the Empire only or do the de-jure Kingdoms of said Empire have an impact?

I believe they apply separately - so any vassals who are part of a kingdom that you have the title for count as being under that kingdom's laws, but vassals outside of your kingdoms count as being under your empire's laws. So, if you own all of de jure England and all of de jure France and you hold the Kingdom of England and the Empire of Britannia, then your vassals in England count as being under the Kingdom of England's laws, and your vassals in France count as being under the Empire of Britannia's laws. Vassals seem only have opinion penalties for the laws that apply to them, so raising crown authority in your empire won't negatively impact your popularity with vassals who are the de jure vassals of kingdoms that you own.

I know that: I have High Crown Authority in each and every of my Kingdoms. In fact, when I created Burgundy, it came de facto with High Crown Authority because I was already at High Crown Authority in France and Britanny.

Though I wonder something... Do Empire and Kingdom crown authority stack? I.E.: Do Vassals receive penalties for Crown Authority in the Empire only or do the de-jure Kingdoms of said Empire have an impact?

It must be a bug, because that shouldn't have happened. Post about it on the Paradox forums.

ZimuYang said:
It must be a bug, because that shouldn't have happened. Post about it on the Paradox forums.
Are you talking about the fact Troyes was inherited by a foreigner like Zirael did? Or the fact that I created Burgundy with High Crown Authority?
Zireael said:
This shouldn't have happened at high CA.
Yeah, I thought this was weird.

Just to give context on that: Troyes actually belonged to a Vassal of one of my vassals (the Prince Archbishop of Champagne, Duke-level). Knowing this, should that still not have happened under High Crown Authority law?

Are you talking about the fact Troyes was inherited by a foreigner like Zirael did? Or the fact that I created Burgundy with High Crown Authority?
Yeah, I thought this was weird.

Just to give context on that: Troyes actually belonged to a Vassal of one of my vassals (the Prince Archbishop of Champagne, Duke-level). Knowing this, should that still not have happened under High Crown Authority law?

I meant the screwed up inheritance. The county should've gone to either you or the duke.

Krall

Banned
This shouldn't have happened at high CA.

Ah, okay. I thought you meant the Kingdom of Burgundy title being created with high crown authority, which - as far as I know - is how it should work.

Anyway, I've been having fun playing as Norse pagans recently. I started out as Ivar the Boneless, owning little more than a duchy in the Hebrides, and now I own half of Europe. I've been modding the game slightly, so titles have different names if their holder has norse culture - hence why my primary title is the Empire of Britannia, but the game refers to me as the Allvaldr of Alleyjar ("All-ruler of All Isles"). I also changed the Empire of Britannia's colour, because I bordered the Kingdom of England for some time and the colours were similar enough to be rather confusing. Here's how my empire looks in 1006:

sMuvRY2.png

After forming the Empire of Britannia I had used a Subjugation casus belli to take Denmark (renamed to the old Norse "Danmork") giving me control of their holy site, then county conquest'd my way to the holy sites in Zeeland (which was under the control of a Kingdom of Frisia that had gained its independence from the Karling Kingdom of Lotharingia) and Braunschweig (which was easy enough, as Karling Germany was very weak, and the other Karling kingdoms were too distracted/disorganised to amass an army large enough to defeat me). Norse moral authority was something like 65% at the time due to all the successful county conquests and control of holy sites, letting me immediately reform the faith. Since then our moral authority has been 100% without fail, whilst Catholic moral authority has been at 0% for decades.

w8o14XH.png

As you can see, Catholicism is basically a Dead Religion Walking at this point, as Norse rapidly spreads over conquered Catholic land, and huge areas have fallen to hereseies. Lollardy is very popular in Germany, which has fractured into a number of different duchies and counties, whilst Waldensianism and Catharism have made a lot of progress in southern France and Italy (the King of Italy is actually Cathar now, hence the hatching over that realm). Just to emphasise how disunited and weak Catholicism is right now, I will note that the Pope recently called a Crusade for the Kingdom of France (or "Frankeriki" as it is now) and was joined by only two allies - the Teutonic Order, and the Knights Hospitaller. A peasant revolt that broke out during the Crusade in Scotland was more threatening.

Interestingly, the Norse faith has been spreading to various areas due to Norse adventurers taking over various realms. Hungary is the greatest example of this - they were Tengri for ages, switched to Orthodox, and were quickly conquered by a Jute. Hungary had been taking over OTL Austria, possibly for irony's sake, which is now mostly independent as another Norse kingdom of Bavaria (or "Bayeriki"). Another Norse adventurer of the af Munso dynasty (who rule Sweden in this game) grabbed OTL Bulgaria from the Byzantine Empire. The Byzantines took most of it back, only for Hungary to grab it instead. the full extent of Hungary is hard to see on the first map, because it's currently experiencing about 3 different revolts all at once.

I'm thinking of getting EU4 and converting this game over once it's finished, maybe modding EU4 to account for the drastically different world (adding heresies for Norse paganism, adding an "Alleyjar" tag, etc.), then possibly doing the same for Victoria 2. That's a very long-term goal though; honestly I'll be happy if I manage to make it all the way to CKII's end date, something which I've never managed in any Paradox game (mainly because I get bored, or I stop playing for ages and lose the save). :eek:

Just dropping in to say that in the GoT mod, starting in the Crowned Stag scenario, Stannis ended up as Mace Tyrel and the High Septon best friend during Robert's son wedding, only to die of stress a month later... I'm still trying to imagine how that drunk conversation between the two went :D.

EDIT: Holy molly...that's one big Empire you got there Krall

Oh, actually, I did have one question, how do you change the title name, ie Emperor to Allvaldr? I tried changing it once, but couldn't find the file.

Krall

Banned
EDIT: Holy molly...that's one big Empire you got there Krall

Thank you! :D It's constantly getting bigger too. I can't stop it. The Jarl of Jorvik keeps declaring holy wars, and because most of my vassals are of my dynasty - the Jarl of Jorvik included - they're all allied, so he can easily call up a bunch of powerful allies and bring about 20k troops against his target. I think he owns half my empire by now - I'm planning to use elective monarchy to switch to him (or his successor) at some point just in order to redistribute the various duchies and counties he's acquired. It's gotten to the point where he sometimes declares war on my next target and wins before I get 'round to it. :eek:

I thought you could edit that ingamw:confused:

I don't think so - I think you might be able to change placenames in game (e.g. if you're the King of England you can rename England to Generica), but I don't think you can rename titles in-game (e.g. if you're a Norse Emperor you can't rename the "Emperor" title to "Allvaldr").

Oh, actually, I did have one question, how do you change the title name, ie Emperor to Allvaldr? I tried changing it once, but couldn't find the file.

Ah, that would be because there is no file for that, per se. Emperor is the default - you have to add a new bit of text into the localisation files to add a unique title for Norse characters, which will then override the default title.

Localisation files aren't bogstandard text files like the landed_titles file (which is where I made it so that "Britannia" will be called "Alleyjar" by default, provided it's held by a Norse character); they're .csv files. I don't really know what the difference is, but they're finicky and can sometimes get fucked up if you edit them using the wrong program, so step 1 is downloading a program called Notepad++ (don't worry; it's free, and not dodgy like some free programs are), which is recommended by people who are better at modding CKII than I am.

Then go into the localisation folder (if you've got the Steam version, this is most likely in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II) and make a new .csv file. I think the easiest way to do this is to copy one of the existing .csv files, open it with Notepad++, and then delete everything in it. Then in this new, empty .csv file, paste the following text:

emperor_norse_pagan_reformed;Allvaldr;Allvaldr;Allvaldr;;Allvaldr;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_norse_pagan;Allvaldr;Allvaldr;Allvaldr;;Allvaldr;;;;;;;;;x

(Remove the spaces, though - I think this forum adds them if you post a long enough sequence of characters without spaces or line breaks).

The bit at the start is what you're renaming, so you can infer how to make other title variants based on it, e.g. changing the "King" title for Norse pagan characters would be "king_norse_pagan". When changing titles based on culture you can just put the culture's name in instead of the religion's name, so changing the "Duke" title for danish characters would be "duke_danish". Also when changing the title for burgher and priest characters of different levels (e.g. "Archbishop" or "Doge" titles) add "temple_" or "city_" to the start - so changing a Frankish king-level burgher's title would be "city_king_frankish".

The reason the title itself is repeated is because it's meant to have different translations for different languages, but you don't need to unless you're planning to distribute it to people who play the game in other languages. :)

You can also use the localisation files to change the name of different religions' "crusades" too. For instance, I changed it so that Norse pagans don't have "Great Holy Wars", they have "Óðófriðr" ("Furious War", though I think the literal meaning is more like "Mad unpeace"). To do this you need to edit the 00_religions file (which is a bogstandard text file, so no need to use Notepad++) which can be found under Crusader Kings II\common\religions. Do Ctrl+F and type in "norse_pagan_reformed" to find the entry for reformed Norse paganism, and you should see that its "crusade name" is set to "GREAT_HOLY_WAR". Change this to "FURIOUS_WAR", and then add this text into a localisation file (I'd suggest keeping all of your additions in one localisation file, so you can easily find and edit the stuff you've added, as well as easily remove it all if it fucks something up):

FURIOUS_WAR;Óðófriðr;Óðófriðr;Óðófriðr;;Óðófriðr;;;;;;;;;x

(Again, remove that space near the end).

When I first did this the encoding messed up somehow, so make sure it's encoded properly by clicking "Encoding" at the top of the screen, then clicking "Encode in ANSI". If the text changes, paste it in again and it should show up without issue.

You can do this to change a bunch of things - like in the 00_religions file it also lists the names of each religion's holy scripture (like "THE_BIBLE" and "THE_SAGAS"), what each religion's priests are called ("PRIEST", "GODI"), and the different names for good and evil deities in different religions ("GOD_THOR", "THE_DEVIL"); these all refer to entries in the localisation files. If you want to edit an existing one they can be hard to find, as all the localisation files are broken up by update, but adding a new one is really easy. :)

YES, YES, YES!!!! :D

I finally got the mod to work, after getting the patch beta. My last hope, hell, I lost all hope a while ago, and finally this works! :D

Last edited: