Crown of the Confessor: the Chronicle of the Anglo-Saxon Kings

Sorry, guys, I've been rather busy this weekend, but I should have an update by Friday. It's just been crazy around here.

TheLordProtector

No problem. Real life tends to foul up TLs fairly regularly.;) Get the updates out when you can and we're read them when their available.

Steve

Not much in this update, just a tasty tidbit to whet your appetite before I carry on with the Breton saga.

Excerpt from Chronicles of the Anglo-Saxon Kings, written 1290​

...moved from London.

The grand feast, which king Harold's retainers at Wintanceastre(1) had worked so diligently to organize, was held at the king's borh(2) in the aforementioned city. A strong boar, old and mighty, covered all over in silver-grey hair (3), had been slain by the Stalwart himself(4) at spearpoint, and now adorned the center of the table. Thick meat pies laden with lard-gravy, fishermen's pies stuffed with onions and mussels and turnips, and sweet scones dotted with dried fruit surrounded it like mourners of this King of Animals, whilst honey-lanced mead graced every throat. Blood sausages prominently featured and were much praised by the lords of the land for their exquisite quality, and would later become a favorite dish of England. The mood was merry as the mead flowed freely and constantly.

However, this festiveness was blackened by the arrival of Gyrth(5) Godwinson, earl of East Anglia and of Grentebrigescire and of Oxenafordscire(6) and brother to the king. Though he had bravely fought at Hastings and at Stamford Bridge, and was most filled with courage and martial skill(7), he had strongly counseled against Harold's meeting William on the field of battle, and had further argued against the granting of lands to Hakon and Godwine, asserting, with the Brothers of Northumbria(8), that it would complicate the succession and bring disaster to England. Alas, t'were only if he had not drunk so much!

Halfway through the night, when the peasants were in their beds and a great mountain of snow had built up outside, the drunken Gyrth staggered his way to the king's table, where steely-eyed Harold watched him with disgust. With most improper impertinence, Gyrth roared at his king, declaring that he was illegitimate, that Edgar the Aetheling was the proper heir, and sundry other insults. The earls of the north, Edwin and Morcar, murmured quiet agreement. With a sudden movement, Harold leapt across the table and seized his brother by the hair, dragging him outside to the stable-yard, which lay pristine with snow. No living man can yet say what happened there, while the earls and thanes(9) waited nervously in the dining-hall. When Harold returned, it was with a staggering Gyrth in tow. His eyes were both blackened and his face marred with a great knife-scar, whilst Harold's own countenance bore the mark of the knife on his cheek, yet bleeding. Sitting again, the king beckoned to the great men to continue their eating.

Gyrth would never forgive his king. (10)​

Notes

(1) The old name of Winchester, which only fell out of style after 1100. Winchester was the capital of England up until well into the Norman reign, and remains so here. I almost fell into the common trap of assuming London was still the capital of England at the time.
(2) There was already a castle in Winchester, interestingly enough, Wessex being the most modern and wealthy of the assorted regions of England.
(3) This is something of a lie to enhance Harold's prowess. Cool idea, though, eh?
(4) See above.
(5) Gyrth was the middle brother of the surviving sons of Godwin, elder to Leofwine and younger than Harold. While a loyal supporter IOTL, here he has been made resentful by Harold's willful ignoring of his advice.
(6) The Anglo-Saxon names of Cambridgeshire and Oxfordshire respectively. We'll be seeing a lot more Anglo-Saxon place names.
(7) This is quite true. Gyrth was famed for his prowess in battle, as were all of the sons of Godwin.
(8) Edwin and Morcar, the earls of the north we mentioned before.
(9) Yes, many thanes were invited. This is a GIGANTIC feast.
(10) Foreshadowing...

ooh, interesting twist there. personally, i had assumed that there would be no altercations between Harold and his brothers after winning at Hastings (aside from general sibling squabbles) and Harold's reign goes more or less smoothly from there onward. i've actually included a part similar to this in my ASB ATL (though its really only in passing because the whole thing is much bigger than just the Anglo-Saxons) so your own timeline is of great interest to me ;)

and good for you for correctly marking down Winchester as the capital instead of London. out of curiosity, do you plan to use the old Anglo-Saxon names indefinitely or will it eventually change to the OTL name?

ooh, interesting twist there. personally, i had assumed that there would be no altercations between Harold and his brothers after winning at Hastings (aside from general sibling squabbles) and Harold's reign goes more or less smoothly from there onward. i've actually included a part similar to this in my ASB ATL (though its really only in passing because the whole thing is much bigger than just the Anglo-Saxons) so your own timeline is of great interest to me ;)

Oh, Harold will have plenty of difficulties as his reign passes by, I promise you. Oh yeah? I'll be sure to read it. :)

and good for you for correctly marking down Winchester as the capital instead of London. out of curiosity, do you plan to use the old Anglo-Saxon names indefinitely or will it eventually change to the OTL name?

I plan to eventually change them but certainly not to the OTL names. They will be simplified in time, though (Oxenafordscire is much harder to say than Oxfordshire, after all).

I should have an update by tomorrow night!

TheLordProtector

Is there any historical basis for the dispute between Harold and Gyrth blowing up like that or are you just using it as a plot ploy? It sounds like things are being set up for Gyrth to ally with the northern lords and a divided country even if it doesn't end in civil war.

I know that OTL Gyrth criticised Harold's decision to lead the force to Hastings, probably rightly so in military terms if somewhat more uncertain politically. However, even if he had OTL lived through the battle I don't think he would have been that rash as the brothers, excepting Tostig, seem to have been close knit, having survived some rocky times together. I really can't see him questioning Harold's legitimacy, even if only as ruler. Apart from anything else while there were elements opposing Harold's kingship his fall would also undermine the position of the entire family.

Steve

TheLordProtector

Is there any historical basis for the dispute between Harold and Gyrth blowing up like that or are you just using it as a plot ploy? It sounds like things are being set up for Gyrth to ally with the northern lords and a divided country even if it doesn't end in civil war.

I know that OTL Gyrth criticised Harold's decision to lead the force to Hastings, probably rightly so in military terms if somewhat more uncertain politically. However, even if he had OTL lived through the battle I don't think he would have been that rash as the brothers, excepting Tostig, seem to have been close knit, having survived some rocky times together. I really can't see him questioning Harold's legitimacy, even if only as ruler. Apart from anything else while there were elements opposing Harold's kingship his fall would also undermine the position of the entire family.

Steve

Well, Gyrth disagreed with Harold quite a lot, and though the brothers were quite close-knit, I get the impression that Gyrth disliked Harold to some extent and disapproved of his kingship. Of course, that's just my own impression of history. Further, you have to understand that Gyrth is really, REALLY drunk at this feast. That may be what I'm setting up, or it could not be. Wait and see. ;)

Yay, an update!

roger_de_montgomery.jpg

Roger de Montgomerie's burial place at Le Mans

Excerpt from The History of the Christian Faiths, 1054-1200, written in 1894(1)​

...only recently has evidence arisen that Pope Alexander II, who had been shamed by his backing of Guillaume l'Bâtard's(2) attempt to dethrone Harold Godwinson, wrote to the king of France in the winter of 1066, warning him against supporting the new Norman duke against the Breton invasion. The king, or rather his co-regents Baldwin of Flanders and the Queen Mother, too weak to offer much more than vague support anyway, readily agreed...

...his later attempts to pacify Harold with passive support for his legitimacy perhaps indicate a premonition on Alexander's part of the future friction between Rome and the Anglo-Saxon Christian community...(3)​

Excerpt from The Saga of Konan, Duke of Brittany, written 1122​

...no reply from Paris.

As the snows melted in March, the war began anew. Konan's forces surged out from Laval, strengthened by the large contingent from Thouars and quite a few men of Maine who disliked the high taxes and general misrule of their child-count(4). The eastern stretches of the county were easily pacified after a skirmish at Le Mans between Breton light cavalry and the Norman garrison was turned into a Norman rout after the population violently revolted, expelling the garrison(5). Maine was under Breton control. With the fire of victory in their blood and songs of glory in their ears, the men of Bertaeyn(6) marched northwards towards Alencon, which still simmered under Norman rule.(7)

When the army arrived there in May, however, they found a rather difficult situation to apprise. The city was under siege by the Normans, as it had risen up. De Beaumont had sent an army south as fast as he could to save Le Mans, but they had been diverted by the uprising in Alencon. Konan, apprising the situation, simply marched west instead of dealing with the Norman army for now, deciding to let the two batter themselves to exhaustion. It was a decision that would soon come to haunt him. In late May, the Breton army was besieging Avranches in western Normandy, when a messenger arrived from the southwest. Declaring himself an emissary of the count Roger de Montgomerie, he told the duke that de Montgomerie had chosen Konan as his new duke, and had summoned up a small army of a thousand or so retainers, and would join him there at Avranches. Konan was overjoyed, and renewed his efforts to capture Avranches.

Though the city fell in June due to lack of food, the duke received distressing news from de Montgomerie. His army had been attacked only a few tens of miles south of Avranches by a Norman army coming from Alencon and he had been forced to retreat back towards the chateau at Mortain, where he was now besieged. He begged for assistance from Konan. Not willing to leave the Normans dangerously in his rear again and sign de Montgomerie's death-warrant, the army began to ride for Mortain, and the battle that would decide the war...

Notes

(1) The latest source we've had so far. I've been a bit wary thus far of using sources too far in the future to avoid too many continuity snarls later, but I couldn't think of another way to get this part of the story out there.
(2) William the Bastard. He was a FRANCO-Norman duke, after all.
(3) If you're going to use a source in the future, might as well foreshadow!
(4) Robert Curthose is/was Count of Maine. Not a great ruler, all told. Then again, he is 12.
(5) Something like this happened OTL in 1069, when the population of Le Mans basically kicked the Normans out and installed Hugh d'Este as Count of Maine. I'm just speeding things up a bit. Incidentally, Orderic Vitalis (who sadly won't appear TTL, at least not as his OTL self, being born 9 years after the Conquest) says that Hugh was "an imbecile, a coward, and an idler, and totally unfit to hold the reins of government in so high a station".
(6) Brittany.
(7) Alencon used to be an independent (well, beholden to the king, but no duke or count) buffer city between Normandy and, well, the rest of France. In 1047, however, William reduced the city walls and crushed its independence beneath Norman bootheels (what's that you say? I'm being a drama queen, you say?)! It was still rather revolt-y in 1066.

Love the timeline, and how realistic it is.

Thanks! I've been really having to force myself to stick to strict realism; in my last TL, I had far more of a free hand in terms of cultural, political, and societal development. This is quite an interesting experience.

There was a sixth Godwin brother, Wulfnoth, who, in OTL, was alive in 1066 but a hostage in Normandy. My guess is that he should have been freed by Conan II by now in this timeline. [My apologies if he's been dealt with already; I haven't seen a mention of him in my reading of your story so far].

There was a sixth Godwin brother, Wulfnoth, who, in OTL, was alive in 1066 but a hostage in Normandy. My guess is that he should have been freed by Conan II by now in this timeline. [My apologies if he's been dealt with already; I haven't seen a mention of him in my reading of your story so far].

Bee

That might depend on who hold's him in the aftermath of the Norman defeat at Hastings. He might have been killed out of 'revenge', died in the chaos or possibly even been ransomed by Harold. [Some accounts suggest that this was what Harold was trying to do when he sailed to France a couple of years earlier, got shipwreaked and then held hostage by was it the Duke of Flanders then by William the Vile]. If he's alive and comes into Conan's hands the latter might release him as a gesture of goodwill to win Harold's friendship or possibly try and get a ransom for him himself.

Steve

I'll admit, this is the very first time I've heard of Wulfnoth. On looking him up, I'm surprised I didn't hear of him before. As to him being freed, well, I would hazard a guess that he was probably being held at Rouen and is ITTL, which hasn't been captured yet. When it is...who knows?

For those who are interested, I just realized that the House of Godwin actually fits the Five-Man Band trope (or Five-Bad Band, depending on who you are).

The Leader/Big Bad: Harold Godwinson
The Lancer/Dragon: Gyrth Godwinson
The Smart Guy/Evil Genius: Hakon Sveynsson
The Big Guy/Brute: Leofwyne Godwinson
The Chick/Dark Chick: Godwine Godwinsson
Sixth Ranger: Wulfnoth Godwinsson (eventually)

Harold is the big boss and the hero of our story. Gyrth is his second-in-command and the most likely to actually rebel. Hakon is quite intelligent and will play a large part in that sort of role as Harold's reign develops. Leofwyne is all about fighting, is a bit sadistic and dim. Godwine is sensitive and emanates an aura of good feelings and generally acts as the moral center of the house. Wulfnoth will be a character that throws the status quo into chaos (but won't be a traitor).

Excerpt from King a' the Danes, written in 1988(1)​

I did not know I was a jarl
just because I hold a sword
just because I ride the Northlands
just because I'm right with God.

Still I do not come from Jorvik(2)
Nor even from Loncastre(3)
I am a native of the Southfolk
And that can ruin anyone.

Well, if I could reinvent my name,
Well, if I could redirect my pain,
I'd want to be the King a' the Danes!

I would settle in Cherchbi Stryckland(4)
And ride out upon the moors
Shout with the peasants in Wessish(5)
And be known among the poor

And all the fair damer(6) sighing
would be the center of my life.
But while we'd eat svine(7) in the nordborh
You look for mead and for lies.

Well, if I could reinvent my name,
Well, if I could redirect my pain,
I'd want to be the King a' the Danes!

Excerpt from Chronicles of the Anglo-Saxon Kings, written 1290​

...the feast ended with many of the earls sullen and angry.

Morcar, earl of Northumbria, was one of these. A strong man, but prone to violent moods(8), he had ruled from Jorvik since the weak Tostig Godwinson had been dethroned by his own subjects. Together, he and his brother Eadwine, who was earl of Mercia, held in their hands the entire power of the North, and the ability to rip asunder the ties which bound erstwhile Engaland together.

Despite his personal reservations towards Harold, however, and his own support of Edgar the Aetheling as the rightful heir to the throne, Morcar reluctantly put his say behind the Stalwart. That is, however, until, in January of 1068, a missive arrived from Sveyn, King of the Danes. This humble letter was to be the pox that would cause Engaland to be consumed by the gnashing throes of war...(9)

Notes

(1)I'm not sure if a folk song counts as a source. Based on King of Spain by the Tallest Man on Earth, one of my favorite artists at the moment. I thought it was an interesting way to shift the focus of our story for a moment.
(2) York. A bit archaic by this time, but it fits the mood for this song.
(3) Lancaster.
(4) Kendal, here known by the Anglo-Saxon name with a bit more of a Danish twist.
(5) The dialect of the south is known as Wessish after Wessex, while the northern dialect is known as Engladansk.
(6) Ladies. An example of the fusion of Danish and English (disregarding the fact that this document should technically be written in a morass of Old English, Gaelic, and Danish).
(7) Pig.
(8) An example of bias, really, though Morcar was known as something of a brute.
(9) A bit of a short update, but one I'm fairly pleased with. We're moving the story a bit faster now, which I certainly like.