Could the Crusader Kingdoms/States Survived

I watched a show on Richard the Lionheart yesterday and it got me thinking, could the crusader kingdoms have survived longer (perhaps with more support from western Europe) until the 15th century? If they had would the ottomans or some other Turkish nation been to capture Constantinople?

I watched a show on Richard the Lionheart yesterday and it got me thinking, could the crusader kingdoms have survived longer (perhaps with more support from western Europe) until the 15th century? If they had would the ottomans or some other Turkish nation been to capture Constantinople?

Kingdom of Cyprus, a crusader state, did survive until the 15th century.

archaeogeek

Banned
It's not very likely that they survive. Their manpower pools were quite limited.

From the stuff I read (I cross-read some of my brother's lectures in medieval history) Sicily was basically stealing the crusader states' manpower pools by giving the colonists who left for the levant more incentives to stay in Sicily. However I suspect they wouldn't have survived outside of a few exclaves even without that; Tripoli and a portion of Jerusalem would have been viable-ish (Tripoli was the last crusader kingdom to fall in the levant) but would probably have gone under during the mongol invasion anyway and chances are they'd have become tributary of the Ottomans like the greek crusaders.

From the stuff I read (I cross-read some of my brother's lectures in medieval history) Sicily was basically stealing the crusader states' manpower pools by giving the colonists who left for the levant more incentives to stay in Sicily. However I suspect they wouldn't have survived outside of a few exclaves even without that; Tripoli and a portion of Jerusalem would have been viable-ish (Tripoli was the last crusader kingdom to fall in the levant) but would probably have gone under during the mongol invasion anyway and chances are they'd have become tributary of the Ottomans like the greek crusaders.

Actually it is said that a lot of "Franks" did end up staying in Jerusalem. They were like at most 20 percent of the population and I bet it was mostly concentrated in the coastal towns like Acre or Jaffa and maybe Jerusalem. In the countryside, Muslims and Eastern Christians dominated the landscape.

archaeogeek

Banned
Actually it is said that a lot of "Franks" did end up staying in Jerusalem. They were like at most 20 percent of the population and I bet it was mostly concentrated in the coastal towns like Acre or Jaffa and maybe Jerusalem. In the countryside, Muslims and Eastern Christians dominated the landscape.

You won't do much of a country out of the coasts, though, and only Tyre and Acre are really defensible (Jaffa had fortifications but it lacked the out-of-the-way-ness of those two IMO). I could see a frankish "lebanon" made up of Tripoli and the principality of Galilee + Acre forming a rump Jerusalem though, yeah. Besides, prince of Galilee carried a prestige of its own as a title.

I'm still sort of feeling a form of negotiated peace à la 6th crusade where these remain "frankish" and pilgrimage rights are secured for everyone might have led to a mildly stable state, but Hohenstaufen was uninterested in levantine land or restive vassals in the area.

Plus population in urban areas, even in highly urbanized regions like Syria, Egypt or Italy, are still not always representative of the ethnic makeup of their areas in the middle ages.

You won't do much of a country out of the coasts, though, and only Tyre and Acre are really defensible (Jaffa had fortifications but it lacked the out-of-the-way-ness of those two IMO). I could see a frankish "lebanon" made up of Tripoli and the principality of Galilee + Acre forming a rump Jerusalem though, yeah. Besides, prince of Galilee carried a prestige of its own as a title.

I'm still sort of feeling a form of negotiated peace à la 6th crusade where these remain "frankish" and pilgrimage rights are secured for everyone might have led to a mildly stable state, but Hohenstaufen was uninterested in levantine land or restive vassals in the area.

Plus population in urban areas, even in highly urbanized regions like Syria, Egypt or Italy, are still not always representative of the ethnic makeup of their areas in the middle ages.

True. I didn't say that though. The Franks were a minority despite them being concentrated in the major cities. Anyways Crusader-wanks are always nearly French-wanks. :p

King Thomas

Banned
The later Crusaders were often disliked by the Franks allready there, as they stirred up loads of trouble and then mostly went back to Europe, leaving the native Franks to try and clear up the mess that they caused.

IOTL the states had all sorts of bad luck. Its not too far fetched to have them last a lot longer. Lasting forever?...there you've something harder. Few nations go their entire history without being overrun at least once and that's all it takes for the crusader kingdoms, cut off from the rest of christendom and on the edge of Arabia as they are. The muslims just have to get lucky once, the kingdoms have to hold out for centuries.

It's not very likely that they survive. Their manpower pools were quite limited.

Manpower matters very little until very recent times. Its money that is important. You can have a population of 20 but if you've (somehow) enough money then you can still buy yourself an army.

archaeogeek

Banned
Manpower matters very little until very recent times. Its money that is important. You can have a population of 20 but if you've (somehow) enough money then you can still buy yourself an army.
Manpower matters when you need to make money, without enough manpower you can't produce enough in a pre-mechanisation economy

That said agreed on the luck and the permanence, however even IOTL there were sustained contacts with the region and Italy well into the renaissance.

Manpower matters when you need to make money, without enough manpower you can't produce enough in a pre-mechanisation economy

That said agreed on the luck and the permanence, however even IOTL there were sustained contacts with the region and Italy well into the renaissance.

And there's the Levantines, descendants of Europeans (generally Italians) who are not a rare sight to find in the Middle East.

The manpower problem was military in nature, not economic. Yes locals could and would revolt when an enemy army was marching on them but most of them time they continued to produce enough economically and the trade made up for the rest. The problem was if the Crusaders made a big mistake militarily they lost land. Yes they could hire mercenaries but it's a bad idea to depend on mercenaries holding key points of the countryside longterm and it still wasn't enough to keep castles after major losses.

Last edited:

Kosta

Banned
and chances are they'd have become tributary of the Ottomans like the greek crusaders.

Uuuuuuuuuh we didn't have crusaders in any sense of the word-all we did was contribute some forces to help the Crusaders from a secular perspective at points (mostly to save our own skins, and yet they still turned on us every single time-and some people bitch and moan about Western-Roman Catholicism being a persecuted minority in the Republic...) and we were able to get as far as Aleppo and I believe even Mosul thanks to Nikeforas Fokas/Nikephors Phokas, but not because of any religious reasons and we sure as Hell didn't go around screaming "Deus Vult!" all the time. In fact I believe the same emperor, Nikeforos Fokas asked the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople to declare all the soldiers who died during the Campaign of Aleppo as martyrs, to which the Patriarch vehemently said no; it set a precedent to this day that the Church has, does, or will never declare any wars "holy-wars" and see any said "holy-wars" as perversions of Scripture.

So then what are you talking about?

archaeogeek

Banned
Uuuuuuuuuh we didn't have crusaders in any sense of the word-all we did was contribute some forces to help the Crusaders from a secular perspective at points (mostly to save our own skins, and yet they still turned on us every single time-and some people bitch and moan about Western-Roman Catholicism being a persecuted minority in the Republic...) and we were able to get as far as Aleppo and I believe even Mosul thanks to Nikeforas Fokas/Nikephors Phokas, but not because of any religious reasons and we sure as Hell didn't go around screaming "Deus Vult!" all the time. In fact I believe the same emperor, Nikeforos Fokas asked the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople to declare all the soldiers who died during the Campaign of Aleppo as martyrs, to which the Patriarch vehemently said no; it set a precedent to this day that the Church has, does, or will never declare any wars "holy-wars" and see any said "holy-wars" as perversions of Scripture.

So then what are you talking about?

By the Greek crusaders I don't mean the Byzantine emperor, I mean the dukes of Naxos, Athens & Neopatria, and Candia, the kings of Thessalonica, and Cyprus, the Latin Emperors of Constantinople, the counts of Ceffalonia, and Corfu, and the princes of Achaia & Morea.

By the renaissance, Naxos, Athens & Neopatria, and Achaia were tributary states of the Ottoman empire, and the last duke of Naxos was actually a jewish subject appointed by the sultan. The rest were either gone or under the Venetian orbit instead.

Kosta

Banned
By the Greek crusaders I don't mean the Byzantine emperor, I mean the dukes of Naxos, Athens & Neopatria, and Candia, the kings of Thessalonica, and Cyprus, the Latin Emperors of Constantinople, and the princes of Achaia & Morea.

By the end of the renaissance, Naxos, Athens & Neopatria, and Achaia were tributary states of the Ottoman empire, and the last duke of Naxos was actually a jewish subject appointed by the sultan.

Ah, Lord I apologise I thought you meant Orthodox-Christians who killed people in the name of God, not the Frankish lords who carved up Greece and a decent piece of Anatolia :eek:. My apologies again! ;)

archaeogeek

Banned
Ah, Lord I apologise I thought you meant Orthodox-Christians who killed people in the name of God, not the Frankish lords who carved up Greece and a decent piece of Anatolia :eek:. My apologies again! ;)

(also I forgot a few like the lords of Samos, the marquesses of Cythere, the order of Saint John as lords over Rhodes and the Dodecanese, etc; but it's a bit obsessive of detail ;) )

Kosta

Banned
(also I forgot a few like the lords of Samos, the marquesses of Cythere, the order of Saint John as lords over Rhodes and the Dodecanese, etc; but it's a bit obsessive of detail ;) )

I do remember hearing about a Jewish Duke of Naxos/the Archipelago, and something about a gypsy colony being set up there as well centuries before and there being a Roma-Duke as well or something like that. It's a damn shame there aren't a lot of books on Jews in the (East) Roman Empire, that's definitely a book I'd read. Shame there aren't book on a lot of topics in the E. Roman Empire, too :(.