Cool Potential Domestications

The Sandman

Banned
Fish. Ones that feed primarily on algae and water-plants would be the best, since they would be the easiest to feed, but insectivorous ones could also probably be maintained.

Owls or other predatory birds might work as verminators.

Paper wasps could be used to produce what their name implies, as well as control of invertebrate pests.

Sea otters could be used to dive for shellfish, sea urchins and possibly other underwater items.

Dolphins (including orcas) almost certainly can't be domesticated, but there could be a more consistent and deliberate effort made to cooperate with them to hunt for fish or larger whales, rather than the scattered local examples of OTL.

Macrauchenia might be a decent candidate for a mid-to-large size domesticate in the Americas. Same with toxodonts.

What about certain species of bat?

Possibly a good choice, as a verminator and for fertilizer production.

Possibly a good choice, as a verminator and for fertilizer production.

I am ninja'd. Jolly good show.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of pest control, I have a phobia of ants and have always wanted to domesticate an anteater or aardvark to keep them away.

They're even kind of cute in a way, especially the shaggy anteaters until OH MY GOD
ClTGa.png
og3R8.jpg

I would suggest that in the case of Elephants and Hippos, domesticated varieties would probably be two thirds to one half the weight of the fully wild species. Thinking out loud, is the smaller size of Indian Elephants driven at least partially by human selection? If correct, then we'd probably see Indian Elephants being measurably smaller in places where they're heavily recruited by humans, as opposed to places where they're mostly left wild.

And they would mature roughly 20 to 30% earlier that seems to be the limits of biological possibility for mammals. In the wild, reproduction ages and maturation rates are affected by a variety of factors - the amount and quality fo food in the environment, the amount of stress, ongoing mortality rates, social factors, etc., and there is a degree of flexibility that can be selected for. It's not an unlimited flexibility though. You couldn't get an animal reaching sexual maturity 50% earlier in most cases. A Hippo that reached maturity 20 to 30% earlier would put it in the preferred range for most domestics. Elephants, not even close, but it would definitely make their economics more favourable.

you might want to look at south India instead of just SE Asia- elephants are most heavily used in the state of Kerala though I can't find any info if the elephants there are smaller. They're used for logging but also as temple elephants so the trend of selection might actually be towards bigger and more impressive beasts but also temperament-wise, animals which are calm enough to handle massive crowds.

Here are a couple of pics to give you an idea of what the Kerala temple elephants deal with.

thrissur_pooram_by_nealva-d3gb5up.jpg

Thrissur+Pooram-Kudamattam2.jpg

I suspect the mahouts would, over the generations have selected for animals which look grand but won't freak out when dealing with a million chering worshippers.

A bunch of kangaroos and platypuses kicking ass would be interesting also. Kangaroos are actually really dangerous kick boxers and have razor sharp claws that most people don't realize they have

Sandman and I suggested insect control.
yeah, i could see that working. chances are, though, it would be more like encouraged settlement than actual domestication: put bats in the attic near a source of light that bugs will fly around, and they might just decide to stick around and roost there during the day

yeah, i could see that working. chances are, though, it would be more like encouraged settlement than actual domestication: put bats in the attic near a source of light that bugs will fly around, and they might just decide to stick around and roost there during the day

And shit on everything. That's the real kicker.

Although that giant bat in the video I posted would make a badass pet if they could be tamed!

What do you think of the domesticated anteaters/aardvarks? Excellent pets/ant-termite controllers, or vicious mauling waiting to happen?

i'd forgotten about guano; while they'd probably be put up as a form of bug control, i could totally see guano being a side-product for the aforementioned saltpeter as well as a more general use as fertilizer

Well, he was saying specifically fertilizer, I was thinking more "arms production".

True. I was just thinking 'guano' overall.

I don't know if it can be produced fast enough. I mean look at an island like Nauru (which is bird guano, but hear me out). At one point it was a bird shit covered rock, like many other oceanic islands. The centuries of shit building up made it highly commercially viable, but now a lot of those places are, uh, wiped clean.

I don't know if bats can produce enough to be commercially viable.