Commitment To Excellence: A Raiders & NFL Timeline

121120-sad-raiders-fan.jpg

This image is going to sum up part of the next post. If my laptop doesn't stop fucking about. If I type the cursor bounces around and its nigh impossible to deal with especially when I can't even scroll half the time, even the right and left click are dicking about. Infuriating. But I am enduring and trying to get something written so I apologise in advance if the story isn't as great as it could be. But stay tuned for the next instalment.

CHAPTER SIX: THE 2001 SEASON PT 1

The happiness that followed the Baltimore Ravens victory over the Green Bay Packers would come to an abrupt halt with the release of linebacker and their field general Ray Lewis following an incident in Atlanta where Lewis and two others were charged with the murders of two men following an altercation in an Atlanta nightclub where Lewis had been celebrating winning the Super Bowl.

The initial response to the incident was of confusion but when Lewis was indicted on two counts of murder and intent to conceal th crime and weapon the Ravens cut ties with the dominant linebacker and voided his contract. The next few months were a harsh time for the former Baltimore Raven but when he entered a plea bargain his freedom was guaranteed and he had now the chance to redeem himself and be the man he should be. But a return to the Ravens was not to be.

LewisSB2001_606.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I don't think anyone wanted to touch or be associated with Ray after the whole business with the trial. He said he was innocent and worked with the authorities and has worked hard to put all of what happened behind him and he has done his best to make amends for what happened. But it wasn't easy” - Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The union of Ray Lewis and the Raiders to some was a match made in Heaven. Adding to a strong linebacker corps the newly anointed Raider made his presence known quickly. Under the watchful eye of Pete Carroll the player and team alike wanted to show that last season was noting more than a slight bump in the road and they would return to winning ways.

The quarterback controversy many had envisioned happening had not even been mentioned following the signing of Ray Lewis, a distraction that was welcomed and reviled by many. Vick offered the Raiders during their pre-season games a scary alternative that few teams seemed capable of stopping when he opted against throwing the ball but Brady wasn't giving in and when given the chance to shine he did. The new combination of Chad Johnson, Steve Smith and Michael Vick was the start of an exciting era in Oakland and with the established players of Dante Hall, Rickey Dudley and Tom Brady adding other alternatives for the silver and black on the offensive side of the ball.

The Raiders 2001 season got off to a strong start with Michael Vick running the ball past the Kansas City Chiefs two times and connecting with Chad Johnson and Steve Smith once each to score a victory over their old rivals by a score of 42-24 and lifting the spirits of their fans who had seen their team capitulate too often last season but now with the lightning quick Vick the Raiders were set to torch teams before them.

The second week of the NFL was suspended due to the tragedy of September 11th and would not resume until the 23rd of the week where the Raiders travelled to Miami to face a Dolphins team bent on winning their division but they hadn't planned on the punishing show of force from Arrington and Lewis limiting the Dolphins from scoring until the third quarter.

For the first eight games of the season the Raiders seemed unstoppable but came close to losing in week three and nine in both games against the Seattle Seahawks each time being rescued by a Sebastian Janikowski field goal, Despite his stellar pace and ability to turn game on its head Vick was not giving the Raiders the precision they needed in the passing game. With every passing week the Raiders saw the best and worst of Michael Vick but he had endured himself to the Raiders faithful.

“I loved the Raiders man. Loved them. They were the team that gave me my break at the pro level and had faith in me. They gave me free reign to do what I wanted and I was happy but my ego was strong. It wasn't confidence, I was just cocky and the game against the Seahawks showed it. I couldn't get a single touchdown, threw three interceptions and even my running game wasn't happening... and then we lost the next four games... that was humbling” Former Raiders QB Michael Vick, “30 For 30: Commitment To Excellence”

Whilst the Raiders dominated their division even with their four game losing streak elsewhere the New England Patriots soared to new heights with the signing of free agent Jerry Rice and Drew Bledsoe combining to form a lethal team that saw the Patriots win their division a comfortable 11-5.Backup Drew Brees saw little game time but flashes of Bledsoe's successor in waiting were seen as he nabbed three touchdowns in garbage time during the three games he finished as Bledsoe ended the season with a 37 to 12 touchdown to interception rating.

The defeated finalists of the previous Super Bowl the Green Bay Packer stormed through their division going 12-4 with Brett Favre punishing teams as they sought to make amends for the loss to the Ravens who were suffering at first without their talismanic leader Ray Lewis but recovered to post a 10-6 record.

Elsewhere the St Louis Rams looked on course to win the Super Bowl as Kurt Warner and his team just became a juggernaut that few could stop and gave the citizens of the gateway city the chance of brining a Super Bowl home.

In Oakland the feeling of dread came back as the silver and black struggled to keep teams from scoring as LaVar Arrington and Ray Lewis were sidelined until at least week fifteen with minor injuries. The men from Okland stuttered their way to a 10-6 season after starting with an unbeaten 8 game streak. Winning their last two games securing themselves top position in the AFC West and a wildcard matchup.

“We were as poor as were good and damn we were good and goddamn we were poor. We ended up in the wildcard and during that game we were torn apart... And we knew why; Rich Gannon.” - LaVar Arrington

090812-raiders-chargers-preview-cp.jpg

The San Diego Chargers faced the Oakland Raiders in their wildcard matchup on January 12th where the visiting Chargers rolled up to face an Oakland side chomping at the bit to take it to their Californian neighbours but what they got was not expected as Rich Gannon threw five touchdowns in comparison to Vick's one passing touchdown and rushing touchdown. The Raiders linebackers broke through the offensive line of San Diego but Gannon was on fire. Each and every time he came close to being sacked he got them closer and closer and that was it. 54 points to the Raiders 14 and another season of disappointment was confirmed. But the game would forever be known as the 'Great Conspiracy' by the Raiders due to Gannon's post game comments.

Archive footage from YouTube of CBS Postgame Interview, 12th January 2002

ARMIN KETEYIAN: Rich that was a fantastic game from you guys. You had the Raiders number from the get go. How did you pull this off?

RICH GANNON: We pushed and we pushed and we pushed and they just got angrier and we watched them the whole season and when they get angry they channel it badly and we took advantage of that.

ARMIN KETEYIAN: As effective as you were on offense your defense has to be given a lot of credit. They stifled Oakland and gave you your chance.

RICH GANNON: Oh absolutely you are right. It was a real team effort and I am proud of my guys today, especially up against their linebackers. They got me a few times but it was always a bit too late.

ARMIN KETEYIAN: Thank you Rich, now back to the studio.

(In the background Rich Gannon can be seen shouting and is picked up on microphone yelling)

RICH GANNON: Thank you Jim Harbaugh!

hi-res-5705032_crop_north.jpg

2001 Roster

QB: Tom Brady
QB: Michael Vick*
QB: Bobby Hoying

FB: Zack Crockett
FB: Jon Ritchie
RB: Charlie Garner
RB: Randy Jordan
RB: Tyrone Wheatley
RB: Terry Kirby
RB: Rudi Johnson*

WR: Dante Hall
WR: Steve Smith*
WR; Chad Johnson*
WR: Tim Brown
WR: Andre Rison

TE: Rickey Dudley
TE: Roland Williams

OT: Chris Samuels
OT: Victor Leyva*
OT: Lincoln Kennedy
OT: Kenyatta Walker

C: Adam Treu
C: Louis Williams*
OG: Steve Wisniewski
OG: Chad Ward*
OG: Barry Sims (Tackle to Guard)
OG: Mo Collins

DE: Regan Upshaw
DE: Joe Tafoya*
DE: Junior Ioane
DE: Trace Armstrong
DT: Grady Jackson
DT: Darrell Russell
DT: Roderick Coleman
DT: Tony Bryant

LB: LaVar Arrington
LB: Greg Bierkert
LB: Eric Barton
LB: Elijah Alexander
LB: William Thomas
LB: Ray Lewis

CB: Calvin Branch
CB: Charles Woodson
CB: Eric Allen
CB: Tory James
FS: Marquez Pope
FS: Anthony Dorsett
SS: Adrian Wilson
SS: Johnie Harris

K: Sebastian Janikowski
P: Shane Lechler

Trades;

Matt Stinchcomb (OT) traded to Buffalo Bills for 2002 4th round pick and Raider 5th round pick
Travian Smith (LB) traded to Baltmore Ravens for a 2002 4th and 5th round pick

Ray Lewis to the Raiders? I will admit, I did not see that coming

55774760.jpg

It feels like a marriage made to be. Given the NFL's recent issues with bad press in the wake of Ray Rice and obviously not too long ago the Jovan Belcher incident I decided to have the Ravens cut ties with Lewis to preserve their identity and respect that they will not pay or play a man accused of murder.

Here that is Ray Lewis' chip on his shoulder. He now feels the Ravens turned their back on him at the first sign of trouble and he is going to show them Here the Raiders get him for peanuts compared to what he would be paid and long term as the crazy wizard that is Al Davis loves a big contract but usually they're all bad. Here he gets it right. But I will make sure that not all of Al's dealings go well. Harbaugh was the first in this TL of Davis' awful deals.

I hope those that read this and follow hopefully are enjoying the story. I know it's a niche market as far as timelines go but I genuinely hope this is enjoyable for those who follow.

I'm trying to find my comfort zone with writing and trying out what way is best for the story to progress so I can make this fun for not only myself but everyone else too. So I ask those who are willing to assist with any feedback they may have and just generally ask any questions you may have as it honestly does help when it comes to me making decisions on how it goes forward.

And for those interested, the last post leads into an argument now about playbooks leaking and the fallout from that... the chapter is tentatively called "Gannonfire and Harbaughgeddon!"

Thank you for reading

-Protest The Hero

Enjoying this so far!

I can see this Harbaugh -Raiders feud will be a bitter one. What is interesting is to see how Tom brady pans out here. He appears to have Been benched for a shaky rookie here, and as a Michigan boy I can see him siding with Harbaugh if he is subsequently cut or traded.

Enjoying this so far!

I can see this Harbaugh -Raiders feud will be a bitter one. What is interesting is to see how Tom Brady pans out here. He appears to have Been benched for a shaky rookie here, and as a Michigan boy I can see him siding with Harbaugh if he is subsequently cut or traded.

Harbaugh will be the ruin of any Michigan player that the Raiders like. We may even see guys drafted to spite Harbaugh but would Davis go that far. Plus I have a great idea for a potential future conflict that has just crept into my mind

And Brady will not be too happy, he's shown he can deliver the goods but he knows he isn't their guy. Next season it will come to a conclusion but not the way people may think, he will go. But his rivalry with the Raiders will initially be healthy.

Thank you for the support my friend. I am happy you and hopefully others are enjoying.

Interesting to see what is going on in the Bay, and with Harbaugh, OTL. Harbaugh looking to be fired next week and the Raiders hoping to make a move on him...only to (possibly) be outbid by Michigan. A very interesting OTL twist on your TL. :)

thomwim

Banned
2007: The Raiders sign Cade McNown to a one year deal. He gets names Comeback Player of the year and makes the Pro Bowl.