Comic Book AHC: Kill The Joker

SunDeep

Banned
Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to have a TL where DC Comics decides to kill off The Joker. Permanently. Extra bonus points if he's killed off by Batman (Bruce Wayne), with meaningful intent.

Nobody stays dead in comics except Uncle Ben, so I really have no idea how this one can play out. Unless the Joker was a one-off villain killed off in the Golden Age when Batman was basically the Shadow with pointy ears and a cape (i.e. even before he met Robin), and even then future writers might find the concept a striking enough visual to resurrect.

The only way this could possibly happen is if his popularity took a prolonged nosedive. Maybe have the Batman comics be written by somebody who just sucks at making the Joker entertaining, yet he continues to show up again and again and again. Eventually, readers demand to be rid of him and DC obliges. I figure if that does happen, though, it won't necessarily stick, since one good adaptation will revive his fanbase and he'll be back before you know it. Maybe that could be headed off by a good successor character, but who knows.

Heavy

Banned
Nobody stays dead in comics except Uncle Ben, so I really have no idea how this one can play out. Unless the Joker was a one-off villain killed off in the Golden Age when Batman was basically the Shadow with pointy ears and a cape (i.e. even before he met Robin), and even then future writers might find the concept a striking enough visual to resurrect.

The Joker was actually killed off in his very first appearance in 1940 or so; the story I've heard is that the book's editor had a look at it and said, "Don't kill him off, he could be a good bad guy to bring back!" so Finger went back and added some dialogue to the script so the Joker's mortally wounded and a policeman says something like, "Good grief! It shouldn't be possible, but this guy's still alive!"

I would much prefer that writers grasped that you can make the Joker menacing and scary without giving him a three-figure body count in every story because DRAMA (heck, without killing anyone, even) and making Batman look totally inept.

The Joker was originally slated to die in the first issue of Batman. The editor overruled the decision, liking the character, and a page showing that he was still alive was drawn quickly before sending the story to the presses. Maybe if editor Whitney Ellsworth took the day off and another editor that didn't like the character kept the original decision.

Of course, after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Joker feels like exactly the kind of character that would be brought back from obscurity.

Maybe have his so associated with cheese from the 60s that he can no longer be rehabilitated into the "evil Joker" anymore.

The Joker was actually killed off in his very first appearance in 1940 or so; the story I've heard is that the book's editor had a look at it and said, "Don't kill him off, he could be a good bad guy to bring back!" so Finger went back and added some dialogue to the script so the Joker's mortally wounded and a policeman says something like, "Good grief! It shouldn't be possible, but this guy's still alive!"

I would much prefer that writers grasped that you can make the Joker menacing and scary without giving him a three-figure body count in every story because DRAMA (heck, without killing anyone, even) and making Batman look totally inept.

The Joker was originally slated to die in the first issue of Batman. The editor overruled the decision, liking the character, and a page showing that he was still alive was drawn quickly before sending the story to the presses. Maybe if editor Whitney Ellsworth took the day off and another editor that didn't like the character kept the original decision.

Of course, after the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Joker feels like exactly the kind of character that would be brought back from obscurity.
I'm aware of the initial history of the Joker, what I meant was treat him like Dr. Death (who actually came back in a later story, and then way later in the '80s) or that Duc who changed people into plants and tortured a faceless guy on a wheel, both during those weird first couple of years for Batman.

In 1984, DC was very nearly sold to Marvel, apparently because Bill Sarnoff of Warner thought of DC as a horrible drain on resources better managed by the more successful comic company. The sale got scuttled for various reasons, but it's plausible that DC staff get wind of this and go to Sarnoff with an idea: give them freer rein, let them come up with some massive ideas to shake up the comic landscape, and decide after that whether or not they should sell the company off.

Gerry Conway (or Doug Moench; the writing staff turned over at around the same time, so I'm not sure which would be writing the book at the time, or if butterflies would change it) decides that Batman's entry into the "Save DC" series would be the biggest story he could think of: Batman breaks his cardinal rule after a particularly horrible crime (since this is as big as I can think to with this, the Joker murders Alfred) and murders the Joker in revenge.

Breaking News out of Gotham City tonight. I'm Vicki Vale. The criminal mastermind known only as the Joker was killed in a stand off with police. There are unconfirmed reports coming from Twitter and Facebook from witnesses that the Joker was killed by Commissioner Gordon during what we believe to be a hostage situation involving a young child. The MCU and the Mayor to comment. We will bring you more information as it comes in. In other news, Lex Luthor is holding a charity ball....

Unless your death is an important part of another character's origin story. I think a good example of this would be Uncle Ben.

Indeed. As the saying goes, "Nobody stays dead except Bucky, Uncle Ben, and Jason Todd." With the addendum, "Well, Bucky and Jason Todd did come back eventually." Though Bucky did have a good long 40 year long death. 60 if you count the time in between the original Captain America comics and Cap's first appearance in The Avengers.

/Edit

And the Waynes of course!! Except, they did come back in Flashpoint, but that was kind of the point of that. Oh and Gwen Stacy too. So in comics, only Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker have to live with the never-ending sadness of living in a world where death is cheap except for those who they care for the most.