College Coference Realignmentfest '010

Jasen777

Donor
A quick and somewhat light-hearted look at the realignment that could have been last year. Although I think most or all of the moves make sense for the parties involved, it is a bit of a realignment wank and in real life no doubt the politicians and lawyers will get more involved.

The setting

It's June of 2010. Realignment fever grips college football.

Brash PAC -10 commissioner Larry Scott is an outsider unconcerned with turning tradition on its head. He spurs the PAC-10 into expansion mode. Rumors fly, including a strong one that would see the creation of college football's first 16-team super conference by having 6 Big 12 schools join (Colorado, Texas, Texas A+M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St.).

Panic ensues amongst the remaining Big 12 members, who search for possible landing places if the Big 12 explodes. Baylor courts its politician supporters in an attempt to force its way into the purposed Pac-10 expansion, hoping to make taking them a condition of getting Texas and Texas A+M (likely at the expense of Colorado).

Meanwhile in the Midwest...

The Big 10 has long been waiting for Notre Dame to see the light and join the conference. But the desire to get to 12 teams even if it's not with Notre Dame appears to be mounting. Perhaps with Nebraska or Missouri if the Big 12 crumbles (or maybe even Texas before it does) .... Some, including Legendary Leader Joe Paterno, instead want to raid the Big East to expand to the large Northeast markets and possibly go to 14 or even 16 teams. The success of the Big 10 network and the resultant $ make them very attractive for others to join.

Notre Dame declares their desire to remain independent in football, but there are leaks from the program that admit if the Big 10 (and PAC 10) expand, leading to their teams playing an extra conference game, they could have their schedule at risk and basically be forced into a conference. Especially if the Big East is damaged, leaving no good spot for their other sports.

In the Northeast...

The Big East, which has gotten used to this sort of thing, looks at contingency plans to replace members if they get raided again. Schools looked at included Conference USA schools and possibly the scraps of the Big 12 if it disintegrates. There's also dreams of Notre Dame becoming a full member.

In the South...

Haughty SEC Commissioner Mike Slive declares the SEC is perfect how it is, but that if there's a fundamental change to conference alignments, he could get to 16 teams in 10 minutes....

….......................................................................................

Raising action

Embattled Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe works hard to keep the conference intact (and incidentally save his job). Some of this is trying to find ways to throw more money at Austin, further alienating other conference schools. Beebe's calls for loyalty pledges for member schools are meet with equivocation, with only those who desperately need the conference (Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St.) making unreserved commitments. Baylor instead pledges everlasting loyalty to Texas if they're just take them with wherever the go.

Finally, Beebe finds that the center will not hold as both Nebraska and Colorado bolt the conference in what they see as preemptive moves of self-preservation. Nebraska joins the Big 10 (they wanted to grab that spot before the Big 10 gave it to someone else, as the Big 10 was their preferred option in case of an Big 12 apocalypse). The Big 10, now with 12 teams gains a school with a national brand and gets to hold a conference championship game.

Colorado finds their preferred backup option in the PAC 10. This is seen by many as a preemptive attack on the ghost of Ann Richards, as the PAC 10 appears unwilling to get stuck with Baylor. Invites for the rest of the Big 12 South are renewed however.

Texas A+M throw everyone a monkey wrench by declaring if the Big 12 is to dissolve they'd just assume join the SEC instead of a SuperPac.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

P.O.D. Alert

Texas' preferred option is to maintain the Big 12 as their playground and launch their own network. But they keep getting mixed messages about the potential worth of such a network. One ESPN exec tells them that he just doesn't see the point in a network that would merely carry one game live (and that likely against a lightweight like North Texas). Volleyball and coaches' shows simply aren't likely to cut it.

So Texas drops its plans for a network and decides to form football's first super conference with the soon to be PAC 16. Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St join also. Texas A+M says they're exploring options.

The option they want comes calling as the SEC gives them an invitation, which they accept. A+M was considered a prime candidate for the SEC because it gives the conference a toe hold in populous and recruit rich Texas. The SEC also grabs Missouri, for it's share of the decent sized St. Louis and Kansas City markets, and also to thwart potential Big 10 plans, just because they can. Slive announces that the SEC plans to invite 2 more teams and form their own super conference, like the PAC 16, except with defense.

Missing out on A+M, Larry Scott goes to plan B and invites Utah to complete the PAC 16. Utah obviously accepts to get a seat at the big boys table. There is weeping and gnashing of teeth in Waco.

The Big 10 feels and cannot afford to stay at 12 teams when there are 16 school conferences forming and so activates Plan Paterno. They raid the Big East for Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Rutgers, who join for the money and due to the desire not to be left out of this brave new super conference world. The Big 10 dreams of getting its network on NYC basic cable. Notre Dame is given a now or never offer from the Big 10 (soon to be Big 16?). With the Big East wounded and its Big 10 rivals and PAC 10 rivals in new super conferences perhaps losing the ability or desire to schedule them, Notre Dame reluctantly agrees. (Analysts show that this move will likely net Notre Dame more money, but the football independence dies hard).

SEC targets for expansion are based on adding new territory to the Empire. To fill out their conference they invite schools from the only 2 states of the Confederacy that they are missing, North Carolina and Virginia Tech. Some basketball fans morn the passing of the Duke – N.C. Conference basketball rivalry.

All of this moving leaves the Big East dead as a football conference (adding TCU, Memphis, UCF, and/or East Carolina just won't cut it in the new conference order). The ACC, now at 10 teams, knows it must get to 16 to pretend to be equal to the other super conferences. So it absorbs the 5 remaining Big East football schools (West Virginia, Connecticut, South Florida, Louisville, Cincinnati). They need a 16th school, so they grab the biggest brand name left: Kansas (see basketball does matter)! Amusing since the ACC is the super conference that makes the less geographical sense for Kansas, but at least they get to be in the show.

TCU and the Conference USA schools are disappointed. Kansas St is irate at their abandonment at the hands of Kansas. But that late in the game, there wasn't anything they or the Kansas state legislature could do. Iowa St. and Baylor are likewise upset. Those 3 schools find their only option is to join the Mountain West. The Mountain West, a conference once on the verge of BCS status, is now hopelessly second class.

And Beyond

The four Super Conferences (PAC 16, Big 16, SEC, and ACC) decide they don't need the NCAA anymore and form their own football organization, permanently rendering the other 1-A schools (or FBS schools if you insist) also-rans. To help win over public opinion, the new league forms a four team playoff to determine a national champion, featuring the 4 conference winners. Since each conference has its own championship game, this is essentially an 8-team playoff. With the emphasis on winning the conference, the damage from a non-conference loss is almost eliminated and thus we may see a lot more quality non-conference match-ups.

PAC 16

Western Division -

California
Oregon
Oregon St.
Standford
USC
UCLA
Washington
Washington St.

Southern Division -

Arizona
Arizona St.
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.
Texas
Texas Tech
Utah

Big 16

I refuse to guess Big 10ish division placement and especially names

Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Nebraska
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Rutgers
Syracuse
Wisconsin

SEC

West -

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi St.
Missouri
Texas A+M

East -

Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech

ACC

South -

Clemson
Duke
Florida St.
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina St.
South Florida
Wake Forest

North -

Boston College
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Kansas
Louisville
Maryland
West Virginia
Virginia

First off Jasen777 this is a pretty good post. I have been working on my own College Football 2010 realignment, some of it matches up with yours and some doesn't.

While I was reading there were some things I just had to disagree with.

First thing is that Missouri would go to the SEC, this isn't going to happen. The SEC doesn't want Missouri because in the St. Louis and Kansas City markets they wouldn't be the top draw. Missouri is interested in the Big Ten and the Big Ten is interested in Missouri, the only thing stopping that is that the Big Ten's main goal is to secure Notre Dame (Nebraska was a nice Option 1A).

The second thing ties into the first somewhat, as in Big Ten expansion via the Big East. I agree Rutgers and Syracuse would be plucked, but not Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn't do anything for the Big Ten and Paterno isn't going to allow it because of how the Big East was formed. Back in the late 1970s, Paterno wanted to create a all-sports conference for northeast schools and discussed it with several ADs for years. When the Big East was formed, "legend" says that when Penn State's name came up to also join Pitt's AD vetoed it. Paterno and Penn State have never forgiven Pitt for that, which is why the two teams don't play presently. And remember the Big Ten already has the Pittsburgh market thanks to Penn State.

Essentially the Big Ten's masterplan is that they'll take out the Big East (with help from other conferences) as an option for Notre Dame by inviting Rutgers and Syracuse. In the context of massive realignment all over the country, Notre Dame will realize that independence in football would quickly become a money losing position and accept an invitation to join the Big Ten. The same day the Big Ten will also invite Missouri to join, which will be accepted.

A third thing is that North Carolina would go to the SEC. I know football is king of college sports, but I'm pretty sure that at UNC the money made in college sports is a tie between basketball and football mainly thanks to their rivalry with Duke. Basically Carolina to the SEC isn't going to happen unless its along with Duke, which even I doubt.

As for who would join the SEC along with A+M, I agree with you on Virginia Tech. There are some that say that since the ACC is already an BCS AQ conference and VA-Tech has become a power in the conference since they joined, why would they want to move? The simple answer is money and recruiting, simply SEC > ACC when it comes to athletes' minds, which is the primary reason A+M wants to join (SEC > Texas/Big 12 in recruiting while to the SEC, A+M = Houston market).

So who else would go to the SEC? Well, I said before in discussing Big Ten expansion that they'll have help in the dismantling of the Big East and it'll be from the SEC. West Virginia will be invited to the SEC, it's a cultural fit and the Mountaineers have a strong fanbase. Also it's an olive branch to the basketball powers like Kentucky and Vandy. And the last team? It's going to be a surprise because during the time when college sports was awaiting both Nebraska's decision and on the Pac-10's offer to the majority of the Big 12 members, SEC Commission Mike Slive had secret/low-key meetings with potential expansions targets: A+M, VA Tech, West Virginia, and...Oklahoma. That's right, OU. It's sorta surprising, but Oklahoma while loving its relationship with Texas didn't want to travel to the West Coast AND it would have a better cultural fit within the SEC thanks to sharing borders with Arkansas and previous history with A+M.

I should probably stop right now and let you respond. Like I said at the beginning, I have been working on my own 2010 realignment which has a different POD. If you want I share it with you to help the discussion, but as for right now I'll let you answer some of the things I've disagreed with.

Jasen777

Donor
First thing is that Missouri would go to the SEC, this isn't going to happen. The SEC doesn't want Missouri because in the St. Louis and Kansas City markets they wouldn't be the top draw. Missouri is interested in the Big Ten and the Big Ten is interested in Missouri, the only thing stopping that is that the Big Ten's main goal is to secure Notre Dame (Nebraska was a nice Option 1A).

I agree Missouri would prefer the Big 10 over the SEC, but at the time the SEC had an offer on the table, the Big 10 didn't, and with the Big 12 disappearing they grabbed the first offer.

From the SEC perspective, Missouri gives them access to new territory, even if they won't be tops in those markets (A+M won't be the leader in any of the large Texas markets either - well maybe Houston I'll have to try to find info on that). The SEC seems to be leaning in that direction rather than any schools in states where they already dominated the market for any possible expansion. But the SEC is probably the toughest to guess because they have so many options.

meries said:
The second thing ties into the first somewhat, as in Big Ten expansion via the Big East. I agree Rutgers and Syracuse would be plucked, but not Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh doesn't do anything for the Big Ten and Paterno isn't going to allow it because of how the Big East was formed.

Paterno has been saying he wanted Pittsburgh in the Big 10 (or at least he was a year and 2 ago). http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5165776 But that's not my strongest area.

meries said:
A third thing is that North Carolina would go to the SEC. I know football is king of college sports, but I'm pretty sure that at UNC the money made in college sports is a tie between basketball and football mainly thanks to their rivalry with Duke. Basically Carolina to the SEC isn't going to happen unless its along with Duke, which even I doubt.

That's possible and if so in this scenario, the SEC adds Florida St. or West Virgina instead.

meries said:
SEC Commission Mike Slive had secret/low-key meetings with potential expansions targets: A+M, VA Tech, West Virginia, and...Oklahoma. That's right, OU. It's sorta surprising, but Oklahoma while loving its relationship with Texas didn't want to travel to the West Coast AND it would have a better cultural fit within the SEC thanks to sharing borders with Arkansas and previous history with A+M.

Oklahoma was listening, but I just get the feeling that Oklahoma would prefer the PAC over the SEC. In that scenario they'd have to be willing to cut ties with Oklahoma St. as well (besides Texas). But the real issue is they'd feel better about maintaining their status as a major power in the PAC. That SEC is in fact too strong, some schools are going to get chewed up and never recover semi-permanent elite status. If Oklahoma did go SEC though, that would but a big crimp in the PAC's plan to get to 16.

Personally, I don't remember Missouri to the SEC rumors or invites occuring last year though things were happening so fast that I might have missed it. But I think the SEC views Missouri as a back-up option if one of their key targets (A+M, West Virginia, VA Tech, & Oklahoma) refuses them.

I think Paterno didn't wanted to ruffle any feathers during that interview since he was doing it with Wannstedt at the time. But the Big Ten really doesn't need Pitt to have the Pittsburgh market thanks to Penn State, besides that they want quality academic institutions which Pitt isn't. Like I said in my first post, the Big Ten's endgame is Notre Dame via the destruction of the Big East football.

Either way Oklahoma goes they'll be up against a lot of powerful teams, so it'll come down to which set of powerful teams they want to deal with/travel to: those to the South and East or all the way to the West Coast from southern California to Washington State...from the center of the country.

Finally, a WI based on real (ie college) football!! Like you guys, I've thought about this, but taken it perhaps a bit farther. I imagine maybe a two stage series of realignments, together with some forced arrangements for the "left-overs", to end up with a realignment decided by the "Gods of Football" (ESPN, other TV networks, the major schools, the NCAA, and the Bowls) that also helps provide the stepping stones to a quasi-playoff in major college football that retain the Bowls as important. Excuse my silly division names. I couldn't help myself.

Edit: OOPS! My nice columns in the draft didn't come out in the final. Each conference has two divisions. TH team on the left is in one Division and the one immediately after it is in the other division. GRRR.

PAC 18 Conference
Liberal Pansy Division - Tea Party Idiot Division

Oregon - Texas
Oregon State - Texas Tech
Stanford - Oklahoma State
Cal - Oklahoma
USC - BYU
UCLA - Kansas State
Arizona - Kansas
Arizona State - Colorado
Hawaii - Utah

Big 10 Conference
Silly and can’t count Division - Stupid and can’t count Division

Ohio State - Michigan State
Michigan - Penn State
Illinois - Wisconsin
Northwestern - Minnesota
Indiana - Iowa
Nebraska - Purdue
Missouri - Cincinnati
Pittsburgh - Notre Dame
Syracuse - Louisville

Southeastern Conference
John Wilkes Booth Division - Separate But Equal Division

Georgia - Arkansas
Florida - LSU
S Carolina - Mississippi
Clemson - Alabama
Vanderbilt - Auburn
North Carolina - Mississippi State
Florida State - Texas A&M
NC State - Tennessee
Georgia Tech - Tulane

All America Conference
Tuna Noodle Surprise Division - Old Chili and Nacho Chips Division

Air Force - Tulsa
Miami - Baylor
Connecticut - Nevada
Army - TCU
Navy - Utah State
West Virginia - Virginia Tech
Boston College - Maryland
Virginia - Wyoming
Boise State - Colorado State

The ball gets rolling with the collapse of the Big-12 (which should have happened last year, but was forestalled when Texas decided to stay at home).

Texas A&M goes ahead and leaves for the SEC, who then pulls in Florida State, leading to the unravelling of the ACC as a football league. The three Big 12 schools originally courted by the PAC along with Colorado (Texas, OU, OSU) go west and take Texas Tech with them, and eventually as the Big-12 totally implodes, the Kansas schools are also brought in.

A feeding frenzy develops that eventually gobbles up the Big East, ACC, Mountain West, C-USA and WAC. The Big 10, PAC, and SEC takes some of the best or most tradition-laden mid-majors, and the rest are smushed together together with a few otherwise unwanted major teams to form an entirely "made-for-TV" conference.

In effect, this creates a major college football championship series including 72 teams. All teams play an 11-game regular season consisting of 3 non-conference games plus a round robin division schedule. The Divisional round-robin schedule in each super conference is in effect the “first round” that sets up an 8-team playoff consisting of the conference championship games as the “second” round. Following the conference championship games and the bowls (see below), the 4 conference champions are seeded by a committee, which is free to consider strength of schedule, poll standings (an “official” media poll will still be done throughout the season because polls are fun!), injuries, phases of the moon, whatever.

Bowl games will be played in the last two weeks of December thru January 1, when the traditional New’s Day bowls (Orange, Rose, Sugar, Cotton, Fiesta) are played. The 4 conference champions will not play in Bowls. Since only 4 teams are in the national tournament, many bowl matchups will feature really good teams and matches at least as interesting as the NCAA championship series. The seeding of the 4 conference champions will be done after the bowls, so performance of conferences in the bowl games can be a factor influencing the selection committee’s seeding of the 4 conference champions. All bowls must be played no later than January 1.

So as to not diminish the traditional neutral site bowls and make scheduling easier, the 4 NCAA tournament games will be played at the higher-seeded teams’ home stadiums, not neutral sites. The “third round” of the championship will feature the 4 conference champions. It will be played on the first Saturday following January 1st. The championship game will be played on the following Saturday. Neither the final or semi-final game will be called “bowls”. There will also be a runner up game played immediately before the championship featuring the third round losers, so all four conference champs get an opportunity to play one more time and make a little extra money.

The winner of the NCAA tournament will be awarded a spiffy NCAA Football Championship Tournament Trophy. An “official” “Top 25” media poll (such as the former AP poll) will be used to determine “who’s No.1” with an equally spiffy “Number 1 Team in the Nation” trophy awarded to the top-ranked team in the poll. Unlike the current BCS Coaches poll, poll voters may vote whoever they think is best regardless of championship tournament outcome. There will be situations in which the champion may not be considered the “ best team” in the nation by the media poll This makes for better summertime sports talk radio than Major League Baseball or golf!. Only when the NCAA Champion is also voted “No.1” may that team call itself “No.1” – otherwise they are simply the winner of the NCAA tournament.

Last edited:
Well Zoomar that's certainly an interesting realignment and post-season scenario, though once there is a "tournament" of sorts then you'll only have one #1 team since voters would select the team that wins the championship game.

The one possible problem I see with your plan is that except for the championship games in each of the conferences, there is no room for inter-division matches in each of the conferences. I could tell you right now that your divisional line-up in the Big Ten wouldn't make Michigan or Notre Dame or Michigan State happy since those rivalries will be terminated unless they meet in the championship game then add in no Georgia-Auburn or Tennessee-Alabama or Florida-LSU in the SEC.

A possible outgrowth of this problem would result in teams in conferences seperating into two factions based on their divisions, which if there is a lot of friction could result in the destruction of said superconference.

Personally, the largest I see a conference becoming in membership without problems will be 16 members. This will allow for a 9-10 conference schedule, 7 intradivision and 2-3 interdivisions, which with a 12 game regular season would unfortunately cut down on interconference match-ups though if the NCAA really wanted to flex its muscle it would forbid FBS vs. FCS games.

I think Oklahoma and OSU would probably gravitate to the SEC by geography and cultural ties. Texas becomes a battleground with A&M likely to head for the SEC but I think U Texas would go with whoever gave them a better deal, and if they join the SEC then it becomes a very difficult/hated conference with the rest of the country despising a prospect of every national championship being "SEC vs Other". I think the northern Big 12 schools left would jump to the Big 10 along with Louisville to create a Midwestern powerhouse while the PAC-10 would take Boise State, Texas Tech, Air Force, etc.

Texas going to the SEC would probably be A+M's worst nightmare considering they want to give themselves some space for the Longhorn's shadow and get a better footing in recruiting that the SEC brand gives. Also the chances that the SEC gives Texas the "better deal" are pretty low because Texas' desire for a network wouldn't work well with Alabama or Florida or LSU or Tennessee or Auburn or Georgia or etc, etc, etc because the SEC members protect the conference brand and not one member is above the rest (remember SEC Headquarters are in Nashville where Vandy is located...not where the real powerhouses are located).

I could see Oklahoma State going to the SEC, more so than Missouri which as been suggested. To me the SEC top targets are A+M, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Oklahoma; of those four VA Tech may or may not go and if not then I could see OK State getting the invite.

I'm pretty sure that if realignment chaos were to happen, Big East football won't exist and the impact leads to Notre Dame going to the Big Ten along with Missouri. As for the rest of the northern Big 12 teams, they'll find themselves in the Mountain West.

I should probably post my realignment scenario, the problem is that I'm still sorting out the ramifications for basketball and FCS conferences.

Being a lifelong Carolina fan there is no way the Heels will ever go to the SEC. If Marvin Austin doesn't tweet from South Beach perhaps it could remain as a possibility but the hornets nest that has been stirred up will ensure the Heels take football very cautiously. Plus the UNC-Dook rivalry will never be allowed to end.

But who I could see toppling the dominos if ever given the opportunity is the neighbors over at 'Moo U' ro get out of Carolina's shadow. But alas it is the UNC SYSTEM, the Pack would never be allowed to leave.

Then again here is my example for the ultimate 'social' promotion. To even up the membership somewhere along the way and to snag the NC markets but as not step on the toes of their old couisins from the ACC the SEC shocks the sports world by offering East Carolina membership.

Scoff at the notion? Not so fast sunshine! ECU has a anywhere anytime anyplace mentality. It would give the SEC real access to not only the areas east of Raleigh (ECU's stronghold) but also would give them access to the Greensboro-Winston Salem & Raleigh-Durham markets (#43 & 45 respectively) as the Pirates have very strong fan bases in both markets. Naturally Dowdy-Ficklen does not have the capacity of Neyland, the Swamp or even William Brice down in Columbia but it is 50k with plans on board to take it to 58k which would be on the small size for the conference but still very respectable.

ECU would have growing pains, but I think they will be a better overall position to compete than South Carolina was a generation ago. And perhaps it would be the bump they need to actually become competitve in basketball, which has always been a bit of an issue down in Greenville.

@ Classichost

I have to say that I've been thinking that a program like East Carolina could be a dark horse candidate for SEC expansion for all the reasons you stated. I think if one of the teams I believe the SEC has high on their list of expansion targets can't come, then East Carolina could find itself getting a lot of attention.

Jasen777

Donor
I think ECU would do well in the SEC, but they don't have the level of prestige that the SEC would be looking for.

@Jasen

ECU might not have the prestige, however the SEC might be concerned about overloading the conference with powerhouse teams. So a team that they might equate to being like Vandy, Ole Miss, and UK in terms of football could appeal to them to keep the conference "balanced." This isn't a personal knock against ECU, I'm just saying that others might view them as a team that would be in the lowest tier of the conference but in an somewhat ideal location ripe for expansion.

@ Classichost

I have to say that I've been thinking that a program like East Carolina could be a dark horse candidate for SEC expansion for all the reasons you stated. I think if one of the teams I believe the SEC has high on their list of expansion targets can't come, then East Carolina could find itself getting a lot of attention.

Few tidbits I've seen lately.

The Big East was going to make a bid to scarf up the remaining Big 12 schools (Kan/Kan St/Missouri/Iowa St) if the Pac-16 had happened.

SCar/GA/Florida have a gentleman's agreement to not allow a SC/GA/FL school into the SEC.

As for ECU- I think the SEC would raid the ACC for VA Tech and either UNC or NCSU (most likely state) if they were to expand. ECU might fill into the ACC in such a scenario.

As for NCSU- under Fowler, yeah they'd never leave, but Yow would be willing to do it and dare the legislature to try to stop it.

The problem ECU has is they're not really a big enough market to be worth much to a BCS conference.

My Dream scenario is also 72 teams

I'm assuming Miami gets it so bad from the NCAA that it's effectively ruined SMU-style right now

Super SEC

TCU Kentucky
Texas A&M Tennessee
Missouri Vanderbilt
Arkansas South Carolina
Alabama Georgia Tech
Auburn Clemson
Mississippi Georgia
Mississippi St Florida St
LSU Florida

Big East

North Carolina Pitt
NC State Maryland
Duke Syracuse
Wake Forest Temple
VA Tech Boston College
Virginia UConn
UCF Rutgers
West Virginia Cincy
South Florida Louisville

Big 18

Ohio St Wisconsin
Michigan Minnesota
Michigan St Iowa
Illinois Nebraska
Indiana Kansas
Purdue Kansas St
Northwestern Oklahoma
Penn St Oklahoma St
Notre Dame Iowa St

Pac 18
Washington Arizona
Washington St Arizona St
Oregon Utah
Oregon St BYU
UCLA Boise St
USC Nevada
Cal New Mexico
Stanford Texas
Hawaii Colorado

Schools that don't seem to make sense are largely for markets- Temple for the Philly market, UCF for the Orlando market. The ACC collapses under the UNC/Miami scandals, with severe penalties for UNC, and Near death penalty for Miami. Maryland bolts for the Big East, followed by Virginia and Wake Forest, and eventually a merger is planned. This is the only reason South Florida remains in. There is talk about excluding Boston College, but they get in once TCU bolts for the SEC.

The Big 10 gobbles up the remaining big 8 schools, along with Notre Dame.

The Pac 12 gobbles up Texas, and with the need to expand, grabs BYU first. Hawaii is chosen for its market, and Boise St for its football, With Two open spots left and several candidates, markets become the main consideration- Nevada and New Mexico round it out due to markets. The Pac-12 was reluctant to add UNLV due to being in Vegas for gambling purposes, so they chose Nevada instead.

The big losers are Texas Tech and Miami, who go from BCS to non-BCS.

Last edited: