Coens to direct Yiddish Policeman's Union!

*exciting squeaking*

The Guardian said:
The Coen brothers are to take on the 2007 Pulitzer-prize winning novel The Yiddish Policeman's Union, about an alternate-reality Alaska.

The siblings, who have scored their most commercially successful movie with the Oscar-nominated No Coutry for Old Men, will adapt and direct Michael Chabon's book, which centres upon a private detective who is called upon to investigate the present-day killing of a heroin-addicted chess prodigy in the frozen US state.

The movie is set to be a noir thriller in the vein of Miller's Crossing. However, this is also an Alaska with a twist, as in the original book the state has been turned into a homeland for Jewish refugees displaced after the second world war, following the collapse of Israel. Decades later, the US government is considering displacing the Jewish settlers to return the land to Alaskan natives.

And if you thought all that was a little, shall we say, leftfield, it also turns out the murder victim may well have been the Messiah.

His Dark Materials was a bad title?

Well I think it's not really as good as "golden compass" beside they wanted kids to go see that movie "his dark material" sound like something out of Stephen King :p

Maybe it's going to be "That movie base on the book were Alaska full of Jews"

Well I think it's not really as good as "golden compass" beside they wanted kids to go see that movie "his dark material" sound like something out of Stephen King :p

Maybe it's going to be "That movie base on the book were Alaska full of Jews"

A little obvious. :D

But sireously, does anybody think will this cause any controversy like the golden compass did. Israel's failure is protrayed as pretty bad in the book and will some holocaust denier groups just say its more propoganda for the state of Israel?

A little obvious. :D

But sireously, does anybody think will this cause any controversy like the golden compass did. Israel's failure is protrayed as pretty bad in the book and will some holocaust denier groups just say its more propoganda for the state of Israel?

I'm pretty sure any holocaust denier would cheer any movie where the plotline include "Jews are ship down to Alaska" (of course they shall be ask not to see any other plot element since they seem to love being in a state of blissful ignorance one way or another)

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath. AH movies have been thrown around quite a bit, and until it's on the screen, I have my doubts. That being said, the fact that a director has been named gives me hope.