Code Geass Lorebuilding

It's simple, we toss out those post-1991 borders entirely. We do it based on a Europe of post-Napoleon. So Prussia might be around, a Confederation of the Rhine? I like to think to go with your suggestion, there was a League of Three Emperors vs France + friends war. So Russia, Austria-Hungary and Prussia. France wins, only Russia survives and is reduced to a rump Britannian puppet surviving past the Urals. Knight of One Bismarck Waldstein could be a Prussian exiled to Britannia who was named after the Prussian Chancellor.
I have a map I drew of the Code Geass world where I scrapped the 1991 borders, I wasn't done with Britannia yet, but I was mostly done with Europe. I'll see if I can find it again.

Well after a few hours... and resurrecting one of my old projects.... this is as far as I got

Igrnore everything in Asia. Africa is maybe half done. same with Latin America.

The idea is that Brittania somehow got in personal union with Portugal following the crazy Napoleonic Wars. So "Brittania" is really British North America and Brazil. Borders are quite crazy as corporate concerns in Manhattan, Philadelphia, and wherever the Emperor is hanging out at that time dictates borders.

Europe basically broke into a bunch of regional republics (this map is post unification). and the Sahara and most of European Africa is simply a "development zone" with very little care given to the native politics. The Conference of Berlin paid more attention to locals then Europa United did. Of course there were a few pet projects or corporate rulership (Nile... Lake Chad). But for the early part of the 20th century Africa is home to proxy / low scale warfare between Europa and Brittania.

Antarctica is Brittania because... well they had the opportunity, and Brittania does everythin possible to keep Europa out of the Southern Hemisphere.

4dRe5Cc.png

I am a bit at a loss for what to do in Eastern Europe, West Africa, Central Africa and India. I'm trying to make a map of the world just before the events of the first season of Code Geass

Last edited:
Well after a few hours... and resurrecting one of my old projects.... this is as far as I got

Igrnore everything in Asia. Africa is maybe half done. same with Latin America.

The idea is that Brittania somehow got in personal union with Portugal following the crazy Napoleonic Wars. So "Brittania" is really British North America and Brazil. Borders are quite crazy as corporate concerns in Manhattan, Philadelphia, and wherever the Emperor is hanging out at that time dictates borders.

Europe basically broke into a bunch of regional republics (this map is post unification). and the Sahara and most of European Africa is simply a "development zone" with very little care given to the native politics. The Conference of Berlin paid more attention to locals then Europa United did. Of course there were a few pet projects or corporate rulership (Nile... Lake Chad). But for the early part of the 20th century Africa is home to proxy / low scale warfare between Europa and Brittania.

Antarctica is Brittania because... well they had the opportunity, and Brittania does everythin possible to keep Europa out of the Southern Hemisphere.

4dRe5Cc.png

I am a bit at a loss for what to do in Eastern Europe, West Africa, Central Africa and India. I'm trying to make a map of the world just before the events of the first season of Code Geass
7PAppqF.png

This is the older version of my map of Britannia. I cannot access my new version right now, but this gives the general gist of things as I imagined them, just prior to R1.

I wonder... going by our interpretations, if we could come up with a post-R2 set-up? I imagine the UFN as a supranational entity so there's no need to paint the entire map with its color, maybe just like an outline as some maps show the EU.

I wonder... going by our interpretations, if we could come up with a post-R2 set-up? I imagine the UFN as a supranational entity so there's no need to paint the entire map with its color, maybe just like an outline as some maps show the EU.
I could try to make one this afternoon...

Anyone have any thoughts on what’s going on in Code Geass in West Africa, Central Africa and the Middle East?

If anything I imagine that Area 18’s native government is a more recent creation, probably based on Pan-Arabism. An alliance born of necessity with United Europa in Suez and Constantinople, and Brittannia Armadas and Knightmares prowling the Seas and hungry for conquest

Maybe rump Ottomans or some sort of Baathist Arab alliance, or both? I'd have more variety instead of superstates controlling everything, adds in more depth. I do think Britannia is probably ironically the largest single power remaining post-R2, but if they try anything, the collective forces of the UFN would smash them quite easily.

Maybe rump Ottomans or some sort of Baathist Arab alliance, or both? I'd have more variety instead of superstates controlling everything, adds in more depth. I do think Britannia is probably ironically the largest single power remaining post-R2, but if they try anything, the collective forces of the UFN would smash them quite easily.
I mean... maybe. If she really wanted to, Nunnally could probably take on the entire world with just Britannia. She is just as smart and devious as her brother, even if she doesn't show it much.

Hmm... maybe there was an Ottoman State but they allied with Russia during Not!World War I and so Europe took Constantinople, breaking the Ottomans. The MEF was made as an emergency successor alliance borne out of necessity.

Would explain A Kurdistan and a larger Georgia

0Bahohw.png

Well the Middle East Federation is on the map. Also I should clarify this map is likely going to be from 2010 ATB, so just before the invasion of Japan. By 2017, there are effectively only 3 megastates on the planet. The economy of the world has been given so far over to war and dwindling Sakuradite that a final war is inevitable. Charles goal is Global Conquest, and well the economy of the world now forces that. Sakuradite is stripmined not because it is a punishment to Japan, but because Brittania has a pressing need to expand it's Knightmare Corps. This is why there are so many crash programs and rapid succession of Knightmare generations. It's a race to out tech the other megastates and dominate the planet. FLEIJA was being pursued by Schneizel because it was way cheaper to keep his peace with that then dozens of divisions of Knightmare Corps.

I'm sorta going with the idea that the Ottoman and other powers were caught in a vice. Europa ultimately demanded free passage, and the Ottomans objected. During the Great European War, the Ottomans sided with Russia, but lost. The Ottomans fractured and are now a rump state in Ankara. Pan-Arab Forces quickly banded together out of fear of United Europa, and Brittania's saber rattling in East Africa. Ethiopia persists but lasts out the 20th century due to a lack of Knightmares... and they probably have a thought elevator somewhere too.

In effect by 2017 the Three big states can't play off each other anymore to extract concessions from smaller nations and have to start outright invading. The MEF was a casualty of Cornelia's skill, Charles' ambition, and a last minute deal with Europa.

We should probably talk about Central Asia, Persia, and India at some point.

So I have a bit of a question.

What is the deal with Indonesia, Southeast Asia and Australia.
Anyone have any thoughts? Breakaway Brittanian Area post-Assimilation in Australia?

So I have a bit of a question.

What is the deal with Indonesia, Southeast Asia and Australia.
Anyone have any thoughts? Breakaway Brittanian Area post-Assimilation in Australia?

Australia I can find a reason for it is based on a Deviant Art CG fanfic story/history. Two words: Rum Rebellion.

In this fanfic: because of the British losses with the Isles to Napoleon, British supply ships stopped reaching to the New South Wales colony and instead have been mainly focus on British North America. Without those supplies to NSW, and along with losing communication with the British Empire, tensions ensues between the military and civilian government in which a military officer named John Macarthur put off a far more successful coup against the government of William Bligh, and declared a state of self-independence after the colonists realized that they are practically on their own.

Last edited:
I want to say culturally, its a bit Yankee-esque, and that there have been some influx of exiled American rebels. Its pretty strong on its own, but only to defend itself, not really expand. Maybe it went Manifest Destiny on South Indonesia briefly?

I want to say culturally, its a bit Yankee-esque, and that there have been some influx of exiled American rebels. Its pretty strong on its own, but only to defend itself, not really expand. Maybe it went Manifest Destiny on South Indonesia briefly?

Probably got Cold Feet when it realize that would put it smack dab in the middle of Brittanian and Chinese Federation ambitions

Anyway, still don't know what to do with West Africa

NBhBSXk.png

This map is from 2010 ATB. Just a few months before the Japanese Invasion. Ultimately the fate of Japan was likely sealed a few years before when the Chinese Federation expanded to SE Asia, and Brittania's Navy seized the islands of Indonesia. It's likely that the Ashfords came to prominence as the 3rd generation Knightmares likely proved themselves in the Jungles of Indonesia, and where Marianne got some of her accolades in battle.

Finished the map

2BK2yIG.png

A note however, although I doubt it really needs to be stated... The True POD of the Code Geass Timeline is likely over 3.5 billion years ago, otherwise I severely doubt Sakuradite would exist (or if it did it's biggest unfound technological branch ever), same with Thought Elevators and the Geas itself. Excluding that the first major divergence being of the French Indian War, although sometime around the late 1400s the Tudors probably started to really run with the idea of the Arthurian Myth, which sparked that mythos to take on the role as a type of heroic epic for Early Modern Britain. The best place for this would probably be around the time of schism that created the Anglican Church. Effectively Henry VIII took the title as "Defender of the Faith" and melded the Arthurian Myth into it, even going so far as to declare "artifacts and relics of King Arthur and Merlin". This allowed people with Geass like C.C. to operate a bit more easily as many "pagans", and "heretics" flocked to Britain. They in fact had a little alley to themselves in London called.

During the Elizabethan Age, Britain was on the rise, and began exploring the New World, establishing Colonies, and extracting wealth from the new world like Spain did. European Colonization of the New World occurred much the same as in our history, same with Cromwell. Religious migrants, exiled from Britain, along with pagans, alchemists and "sorcerers" set up colonies in the New World. However the first true global war, Seven Years War is where history starts to go off the rails, although the conflict unfolded much the same way as in OTL. The major divergence is that who we would know as George III, is not the man after George II but Prince Edward, OTL George III's brother, who took the name Henry X. This allows us to have a much different succession of the House of Hanover.

Emperors of Britannia

50. Elizabeth I (1558-1603)
51. Henry IX (1603-1625)
  • Is in fact James VI, however due to butterfly effects he took the regnal name of Henry to connect him more to his father and grandfather
52. Charles I (1625-1649)
53. Charles II (1660-1685)
54. James I & VII (1685-1688)
  • IOTL this would be James II & VII. Butterflies starting to really swarm in British Aristocracy now due to harsh purges and exiling of nobles to the New World Colonies
55 & 56. William & Mary (1688-1702)
57. Elizabeth II (1702-1714)
  • IOTL this is actually Queen Anne, who decided to take the Regnal Title of Elizabeth II, to explain something I see cropping up in Code Geass about Elizabeth III being the last British Monarch and first Brittanian Monarch. As a condition of Act of Union, and the burgeoning Colonies. Elizabeth II was crowned Empress of the Holy Britannian Empire, and declared herself the 49th Emperor of All Britannia.
61. George I (1714-1727)
  • The House of Hanover even coming to power could be butterflied away technically. George I could very well be the legitimate son of "Elizabeth II" this fellow. Rather than this fellow
62. George II (1727-1760)
63. Henry X (1760-1791)
  • The first DEFINITE major divergence is that who we would know as George III, is not the man after George II but Prince Edward, OTL George III's brother, who took the name Henry X, cause holding to the line of the Tudors and therefore Arthur Pendragon was very much a big deal. NO Sovereign of Brittania can take the regnal name Arthur.
64. Elizabeth III (1791-1807)
  • again inserted to follow a mentioned character in Code Geass. She's apparently the monarch for most of the Napoleonic Wars and had to flee Britain. She was quite an able politician and adminstrator, but her health was never the best. She died of illness, or possibly French poison
65. Benedict I (1807-1811)
  • Military General who declared himself Emperor after Elizabeth's death. Started the nasty precedent that Military Generals could become Emperor... Hence why Emperors are usually the General of the Brittannian Divisions, and the Royal Family does serve in the military.
75. (Claire's probably somewhere around here)
91. Alec la
  • I'm dubious about this guy even existing as I can only find one reference to him without citations in a questionable list of Brittanian monarchs
98. Charles zi (1989?-2018)
  • This guy (There's no firm date on when his reign began anywhere from 1968 to 1995 is possible. He's born in 1955 apparently but I doubt a Boy king even with V.V. surviving in power 50 years. Odysseus his eldest son is born in 1984, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was Emperor yet. He DEFINITELY was Emperor by the name he named Marianne his Knight which was probably the late 90s given Marianne's age. Although I kind of like the idea that Marianne, Charles, V.V. and C.C. making their plans just as the 'Second Milennium' draws to a close on 12/31/99. Marianne died circa 2008. He also started having kids like mad only AFTER 1990 so... whatever that indicates. He was Emperor and infallible?
99. Lelouch vi (2018)
100. Nunnally vi (2018-

Empresses and Consorts of Charles zi Brittania & Succession

I actually figured this out at one point. I'll see if I can find it.

Noble Ranks
Emperor
  • He is the State. He is the General of Armies. He is Defender of the Faith. He is the Master of Excalibur and the Grail
Prince
  • The Legitimate offspring of the Sovereign, and can award knighthoods, and Imperial order military decorations. They are all treated as Ministers of the Empire without Portfolio, by permission of the Imperial House.
Grand Duke / Viceroy
  • The Grand Duke is the title bestowed upon a selected noble to oversee a mostly peaceful Area of the Holy Brittanian Empire. Viceroy is a title usually bestowed upon a General (of any noble rank or blood status) to oversee operations with significant military deployments in an Area of the Holy Brittanian Empire. Grand Dukes and Viceroys can request knighthoods, only princes can grant them without any review
Duke
  • A noble appointed by the Imperial Household to oversee a province of Brittania. Usually a Duchal Court is populated by the Earls, Barons and Counts of their region. Dukes can request knighthoods, but choices are vetted by the Imperial Household. Duchal courts are usually where many nobles get their political experience
Earl
  • A noble appointed by the Duke to oversee a strategic segment of a Duchy or Viceroyalty of Brittania (assuming Imperial Household approval), Such as a major city or strategic resource.
Viscount
  • A noble appointed by the Duke to oversee a smaller section of a Duchy or Viceroyalty of Brittania (assuming Imperial Household approval), Such as a county.
Baron / Lord Mayor
  • A noble confirmed by the Duke, appointed by a Viscount, to oversee a town or city of a county of Brittania (assuming Duchal Household approval), Such as a city. Usually a Baron has selection of a city council provided the Viscount approves. Baron is also a title awarded to exemplary military officers, although it doesn’t necessarily come with an accompanying barony, just far more pay and privileges and security clearances.

Knight Ranks

Knights of the Round
  • A knight bestowed personally by the Emperor, to the 12 best warriors and leaders of the Empire. All Knights of the Round have the equivalent military rank of Major-General. The Sword of Excalibur is used for these knighthoods
Knight Commander
  • A rank of Knight to indicate seniority above other knights appointed by a Prince or Duke. They are not allowed by Royal Decree to command more than regiment
Knight of Honor
  • A type of knight dedicated to protection detail of their Prince or Duke. They are not allowed to command more than a company, and are to collaborate with Imperial Security Services and local police.
Knight Hospitaller
  • A knighthood bestowed upon medical professionals in the employ or service of Earls, Princes, or Dukes. Usually seen as quite an accolade, and the research grant money alone makes many doctors aspire to become one. They also are allowed to request any medical equipment and override organ donation lists as per their directive. The Knight Commander Hospitaller is the personal physician of the Emperor.
Knights of Albion
  • A knighthood bestowed by bishops or archbishop. It carries no military requirement and is mostly a symbolic position granted by Bishops
Knightmare Pilot
  • Surprisingly Knightmare Pilots are all granted knighthoods, but are simply granted as a matter of course for passing the background checks, and completing Knightmare training. Knightmare Pilots are called Sirs until they are no longer in active service. In order to retain their knighthood they must receive a noble commendation.

Brittanian Army Military Ranks

General of the Imperial Armies
General
Lieutenant General
Major General
Brigadier
Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Major
Captain
Lieutenant

Last edited:
This weekend, I am totally going to give my answer to all of this, and make my damn map.

I hate school.

I welcome it. To be fair Code Geass Worldbuilding is hard due to the conflicting problems of not very plausible history, bad canon maps, and weird tech. Getting history to remain vaguely plausible while also creating the world order we see in the show is a difficult task. The order of kings could be changed but I'm trying to slowly weave how the kings and queens are diverging from OTL to Brittannia, not just a shock and all the kings are different.

Just wait til you guys see my succession and consort chart... ONCE I FIND IT.

Well... There are many issues creating an order of succession. First, Charles eldest is only 18 or so by the times Carine the 5th Princess is born and in the same age group and Lelouch, Marrybel, Euphie, and Nunnally. Second, Apparently there are numbered princes up to 36 at least, although the highest numbered princess is only 5, several major princesses have no number. Third, due to the limited time between Odysseus and Lelouch's birth, Charles had apparently 17 people in line for the throne, but only had 11 Princes... and 2 Princesses. There can't really be grandkids grabbing spots because again, Odysseus was unattached, same with Schneizel and Clovis, and those are all born before 1995. There's not enough time for some newborns to take up the spaces in succession

There's a few way to explain away some of these but ultimately there isn't ONE solution for making this work. If I follow birthdates strictly, At least 4 sons of Charles died before Lelouch was born, but kept their place in succession but not numbered title for some reason. If I go by the numbered prince system indicating a birth order, then it's explainable... except for Euphie's born AFTER lelouch and is the 3rd Princess. Oddly this would all be so much simpler if Euphie was like the 6th or 8th Princess. But that would make things explainable. The other option is that I adjust some people's birthdates, Euphie's and Carine's to make it seem like Charles isn't killing daughters behind the scenes.

Oddly there is one way to explain this. The numbered titles indicate birth order separately between Male and Female. The ranking in the order of succession is the monthly "rankings" so to speak that each heir gets in order of precedence. Odysseus is always first after the Emperor and his Empresses, since he is first in line. Same goes with Guinevere. Schneizel is well SCHNEIZEL, Cornelia is a leading general of the Brittanian military, Clovis is dedicated to R&D and reconstruction forces. They are the eldest and have had the most chance to prove their worth. Charles just has his butlers monitor everyone else's accomplishments and ranks accordingly. Lelouch as an 8 year old kid via his connections managed to be ranked 17th above how many siblings and leading nobles is a remarkable feat... Which he threw away. Below is a hypothetical way to do it. Names and middle... initial I guess? with stars indicates the person has no bearing on canon.

Most of the names below that don't have articles are really just place holders, and various appropriate sounding middle names to be Empressess

The Royal Issue of his Imperial Majesty Charles zi Brittania
1st Prince: Odysseus eu (1984)
1st Princess: Guinevere de (1986)
2nd Prince: Schneizel el (1988)
2nd Princess: Cornelia li (1990)
3rd Prince: Clovis la (1993)
4th Prince: Alexander* xe*
5th Prince: Agamemnon* eu*
3rd Princess: Euphemia li (1999)
6th Prince: Joachim* von*
4th Princess: Katherine* du*
7th Prince: Cecil* eu*
8th Prince: Sven* ex*
9th Prince: Bismarck* el*
5th Princess: Carine ne (1999)
6th Princess: Elsa* ex*
10th Prince: Lancelot* de*
7th Princess: Marrybel mel (1999)
11th Prince: Lelouch vi (1999)
8th Princess: Katryna* ne
12th Prince: Claudius* di*
13th Prince: Sergio* cei*
14th Prince: Peter* ni*
9th Princess: Anna* ex*
10th Princess: Laila la
11th Princess: Hanna* von*
12th Princess: Lillybel* rui*
15th Prince: Hadrian* ex*
16th Prince: August* bi*
17th Prince:
18th Prince:
19th Prince:
13th Princess: Nunnally vi (2003)
14th Princess: Locusta* di*
15th Princess: Miranda* di*
16th Princess: Natalya* di*
17th Prince:
17th Princess:
18th Princess:
18th Prince:
19th Prince:
19th Princess:
20th Prince:
20th Princess: Julia mel
21st Prince:
21st Princess:
22nd Prince:
22nd Princess:
23rd Prince:
23rd Princess:
24th Prince:
24th Princess:
25th Prince:
25th Princess:

The Empresses of the his Imperial Majesty Charles zi Brittania
Note: Only consorts that bear children are given the title Empress
1st Empress: Anticlea eu Brittania
2nd Empress: el
3rd Empress: Victoria li Brittania
4th Empress: Gabrielle la Brittania
5th Empress: ne
6th Empress: xe
7th Empress: Marianne vi Brittania
8th Empress: von
9th Empress: Flora mel Brittania
10th Empress: ex
11th Empress: rui
12th Empress: da
13th Empress: di
14th Empress: cei
15th Empress: bi
16th Empress: de
17th Empress: kei
18th Empress: san
19th Empress: qua
20th Empress: je
21st Empress: ni
22nd Empress: hy
23rd Empress: gua

de and du are not Empresses as they accepted larger stipends from the royal treasury rather than the title of Empress. However they are still Royal Consorts

Again I welcome any wanted additions or worldbuilding discussions about Brittanian society or history. Discussion makes the thread better.

Last edited: