Deleted member 92195

Hi all,

California's San Francisco Bay area is the perfect place to build ports and cities on because of its unique geopolitical shape. The Sierra Nevada squashes up the low lying lands making the elongated 'Great Valley', thus the San Francisco Bay is huge but only inset into the American continent by a few tens of miles. (See image)

California Topography.jpg

Antwerp, Rotterdam and New Orleans have all become massive city ports by humans settling on the Rhine and Mississippi river systems because of trade and the transporting of good along those river systems. The most important of those these commodities is coal, oil and gold because they are exceptionally good reasons for humans to migrate towards to. That best example of this is the California Gold Rush, the Rhur and Saudi Arabian Oil. California has quite a lot of oil and it made itself blush over gold. 'What if' a large amount of Anthracite coal was found in California. For Tonnage size, let's say current Ruhr coal size for a hypothetical scenario, which currently is at 42 billion tonnes of coal. As for the place where the coal is going to be in California and how the coal is going to be created I have no idea. I know peat is crushed through pressure over time which creates different types of coal, but I don't know why California does not have any coal in the first place. Anyone?

As for San Francisco Bay (see black outline), she has a lot of space for another port city. The red outline would be really cool to carve out a "port complex" on the size of the Port of Rotterdam. Maybe even bigger...
Image.png

I know this will probably have monumental consequences, so we'll talk about why there is not coal in California and where it would be first. Then we'll get into ports, cities, population, technology, economy, geopolitical effects and anything else anyone can think up of.

"The are four ranks to coal:

Anthracite: The highest rank of coal. It is a hard, brittle, and black lustrous coal, often referred to as hard coal, containing a high percentage of fixed carbon and a low percentage of volatile matter.

Bituminous: Bituminous coal is a middle rank coal between subbituminous and anthracite. Bituminous usually has a high heating (Btu) value and is the most common type of coal used in electricity generation in the United States. Bituminous coal appears shiny and smooth when you first see it, but look closer and you may see it has layers.

Subbituminous: Subbituminous coal is black in color and dull (not shiny), and has a higher heating value than lignite.

Lignite: Lignite coal, aka brown coal, is the lowest grade coal with the least concentration of carbon.

Peat is not actually coal, but rather the precursor to coal. Peat is a soft organic material consisting of partly decayed plant and, in some cases, deposited mineral matter. When peat is placed under high pressure and heat, it becomes coal." - https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-are-types-coal?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

Regards

geographical PODs are ASB.

San Francisco developed as a major port precisely because it is a good port for deploying goods into and out of the region. Add another industry, add more shipping.

Deleted member 92195

geographical PODs are ASB.

San Francisco developed as a major port precisely because it is a good port for deploying goods into and out of the region. Add another industry, add more shipping.

Never done ASB before, but thanks. I'm trying to do something more than just add another industry, but because it requires 'divine intervention' my hypothesis does not work. Need to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by a moderator: