Clinton says No to Monica Lewinsky in 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Lewinsky scandal really hurt his reputation all that badly in the long term; the public seemed more annoyed at Congress and the Republicans for making a major issue of it than at Clinton for having the affair in the first place. Certainly his reputation seems to have largely survived his presidency intact, with most people seeing his womanizing as little more than an amusing character flaw.

Define "reputation". I think it convinced many Americans that Bill was a scumbag and sleazeball morally and PERSONALLY. HOWEVER, it didn't affect his reputation as PRESIDENT. IMO

Define "reputation". I think it convinced many Americans that Bill was a scumbag and sleazeball morally and PERSONALLY. HOWEVER, it didn't affect his reputation as PRESIDENT. IMO

I was aiming more for his political career/reputation, so I'd more or less agree with you. The American public might not be willing to trust him alone in a room with thier teenaged daughter, but it seemed like for most Americans that didn't effect how much they trusted him when it came to running the country.

burmafrd

Banned
Sadly most americans = or too many anyway= have allowed their standards to drop to the point that Bill Clinton survived. Morality and decency should have seen him out of office the same week it all came out. But the dumbing down of the people and the coarsening of the culture allowed him to survive. The economy was doing fine and too all too many people that was all that mattered.

burmafrd

Banned
Oh really?
Bill Clinton was a womanizer and had been for most of his adult life.
Anyone claiming otherwise is a propagandist.

Oh really?

I am sure that this was true. However it is not that odd for American Presidents. The allegation of sexual harassment seems to me to be potentially serious but to say the least unproven.

The fact that certain elements were able to question him under oath about what was unquestionably a consensual relationship was the thing that damaged him.

By the way had Bill told the truth in the deposition I think rather little damage would have been done to him.

67th Tigers

Banned
Oh really?

No, his "womanising" was black propaganda put out by the Arkansas Project. The only question remaining is whether Lewinsky was a Honey-Trap or not. Her behaviour is certainly very characteristic of such an agent.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned my first thought upon seeing the thread title, which is that impeachment of George W. Bush would be far more likely if the Clinton impeachment had not occurred. Democrats didn't want to be seen as getting partisan payback for "their" president being impeached, and they also noted that a failed impeachment had substantially hurt the Republican brand. So without the Clinton impeachment, if GWB had been elected and everything else had proceeded as it otherwise did, I think you would at least get a Senate vote for removal on Bush (I am not sure whether or not it would succeed.)

Ak-84

Banned
Warning
Bumping this; the Weinstein scandal makes me wonder, would Clinton have survived Lewinsky if he had been faced with today's climate? I know people say "Trump!", but despite popilar belief, Trump did not admit to sexual harassment on the damn tape, the opposite in fact.

This probably belongs in chat now.

It's worth noting, while Linda Trip's recordings boxed Clinton in back in 1998, in them Lewinsky is extremely clear that it was a consensual relationship. There are serious ethical issues with their boss/employee relationship, but that's not the same as what Weinstein did.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Bumping this; the Weinstein scandal makes me wonder, would Clinton have survived Lewinsky if he had been faced with today's climate? I know people say "Trump!", but despite popilar belief, Trump did not admit to sexual harassment on the damn tape, the opposite in fact.
You've been here for NINE YEARS and you dig up the rotting corpse of a thread that was started two weeks after you joined?

You actually clicked through the warning, telling you the thread was NINE YEARS old?

Nope, nope, nope.

Formal warning. Consider yourself blessed I already had my third cup of coffee this morning and am, relatively, cheerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.