Civilization IV and the Draka ...

I was wondering if anyone around here has added the Draka as a playable civilization to this legendary turn-based strategy game?

From what I understand, the game ships with 18 civilizations, with only Egypt representing Africa. Furthermore, apparently all the programming necessary to add civilizations is in XML, something that's akin to HTML. I know there were some things done with Civilization II (a World War II mod, I believe), but haven't heard if any enterprising Civ IV players had modded the game to include the Draka as a playable civilization (to use the term loosely).

And, yes, I'd love to wipe them out, preferably playing as the Americans. :D But the AI is supposed to be much better than in Civ II or Civ III, so it might be easier said than done.

RealityBYTES

Hmpfh. Well, apparently there aren't too many Civ IV players around here or, at the very least, players inclined to mess around with XML and Python files!

Heh. Tell you what, if I ever figure out how to add civilizations to Civ IV, I'll let you all know and, if you're interested in acquiring it, we can figure out a way to send it your way.

RealityBYTES

I'm a cIV player who is waiting for the editor (included in the new Warlords expansion) to start modifying the game. If you have any questions at all about cIV modification, or Civilization in general, check out www.civfanatics.com.

The Bald Imposter said:
I'm a cIV player who is waiting for the editor (included in the new Warlords expansion) to start modifying the game. If you have any questions at all about cIV modification, or Civilization in general, check out www.civfanatics.com.
Also try Apolyton's Civ site. As for a Draka Civ not in the least intrested in playing them,and doubt if the AI in CivIV would play them properlly.

The only game I think it might be possible to edit in the Domination of the Draka and do it well is Victoria; Empire Under the Sun. However the reliance on slavery would slow your pace of industrialization. I don't see how even a good player would be able to advance past the Congo by the 20th century.

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Civ 4 is ok, but I was very upset that they had removed the custom titles. Now I can't go to one of the information screens and see 'Grand Master Sargon III, Holy Empire of the Sargonians' for example, or set titles for other forms of government, and that sucks, and believe it or not it DOES significantly reduce my pleasure at playing since I WANT to see the title of the ruler and type of empire up in lights.

Are there any mods that can restore this?

Sargon

CivFanatics and Apolyton, huh? Hmm. Well, I'll definitely check them out. I'm not totally unfamiliar with those Web sites, but don't frequent them terribly often. That'll change if I can get leads on how to modify Civ IV.

That said, according to the game documentation, all you need to do to add other civilizations is to know how to handle XML files and the occasional graphic program (such as Photoshop or Graphics Converter). And, if you're interested in scripting events, know some Python. Both methods are different from SDK, which is the highest level of modding possible — actual access to the source code of Civ IV!

RealityBYTES

RealityBYTES said:
I was wondering if anyone around here has added the Draka as a playable civilization to this legendary turn-based strategy game?

From what I understand, the game ships with 18 civilizations, with only Egypt representing Africa. Furthermore, apparently all the programming necessary to add civilizations is in XML, something that's akin to HTML. I know there were some things done with Civilization II (a World War II mod, I believe), but haven't heard if any enterprising Civ IV players had modded the game to include the Draka as a playable civilization (to use the term loosely).

And, yes, I'd love to wipe them out, preferably playing as the Americans. :D But the AI is supposed to be much better than in Civ II or Civ III, so it might be easier said than done.

RealityBYTES

Mali is in too.

RealityBYTES said:
CivFanatics and Apolyton, huh? Hmm. Well, I'll definitely check them out. I'm not totally unfamiliar with those Web sites, but don't frequent them terribly often. That'll change if I can get leads on how to modify Civ IV.

That said, according to the game documentation, all you need to do to add other civilizations is to know how to handle XML files and the occasional graphic program (such as Photoshop or Graphics Converter). And, if you're interested in scripting events, know some Python. Both methods are different from SDK, which is the highest level of modding possible — actual access to the source code of Civ IV!

RealityBYTES

I'm learning Python....

Sounds like a question for Rommy though, I know he's interested in Coding.