Civilization: Beyond Earth - The "Great Mistake" and the Future History

First off, I know this might not be the right place for this discussion, but discussions about the previous "Civilization" games has taken place in this particular subforum, so I assume it's here.

Now, anybody who's been following the development of "Civilization: Beyond Earth" knows about the "Great Mistake" and the resultant Dark Age which lasts two centuries, during which time many nations reform and become radically different. While what these nations/organizations and their territorial composition are remain vague, a lot of events have been alluded to (e.g. the Pan-Asian Cooperative centred around China and stretching from "the Mongolian steppe to Bangkok, with even regional rivals like South Korea and Japan laying aside their differences", Brasilia becoming one of the dominant world powers with a huge role in reconstruction and nation-building after the Mistake, the People's African Union being subjected to economic stresses, etc.).

The spaceships were launched between the early to late-2200s. During those 200 years of Dark Age, what do you guys think happened? Here's my guess:

- Third World War led to limited nuclear exchange in parts of the world
- Greenland and large parts of Antarctica melted, sea levels rise drastically
- Kavitha Thakur gains immortality (this is never mentioned why, assume ASBs)
- United States retreats into isolation, influence doesn't spread beyond Central America
- Kavitha Thakur gains cult-like status across Indian Subcontinent, becomes a major figure for the devastated peoples of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and other nations, leads the nation through rebuilding efforts as the entire Subcontinent unites for the first time in a century
- Pan-Asian Cooperative formed through merger of ASEAN and SCO after former falls apart and Russia breaks from latter
- Commonwealth of Polystralia formed after social breakdowns in Indonesia and Pacific island nations leads to Australian intervention
- Russian expansionism leads to major confrontations with a united Europe and the PAC
- Fourth World War between Russia and EU
- Germany neutralized, Russia annexes most of her former possessions as well as Poland and other Slavic-dominated regions and declares Slavic Federation
- Franco-Iberia declared after loss in the Fourth World War
- Brasilia formed through unification/confederation between numerous South American regional powers which largely escaped the war
- Numerous major North American corporations united as the American Reclamation Corporation
- Corporation becomes the largest private company in the world, revitalizes American economy as U.S breaks out of isolationism and takes over Canada, Central America and Caribbean and cautiously begins confronting Brasilia
- Events of Beyond Earth begin

That's just what I think, but I want to hear your other suggestions.

I haven't seen any of the stuff for it yet, sorry. I'm definitely looking forward to the game, but haven't engaged with any of the pre-release stuff yet.

Ryan

Donor
I actually didn't even know that the game existed until seeing an angry Joe video of him interviewing one of the makers :eek:

I was aware of the great mistake (my bet is some kind of global warming nuclear war mix which leaves the earth... Unpleasant) but not of the dark age part. My guess is that it would be an era of countries collapsing and forming, wars and famines everywhere, and eventual realisation that they need to get out (or rather off)

Kavitha Thakur has to be impossible. Most likely she's a myth, a person who existed, then died and her successors used doubles to impersonate her. The rest looks solid.

Kavitha Thakur has to be impossible. Most likely she's a myth, a person who existed, then died and her successors used doubles to impersonate her. The rest looks solid.

I do think this might be the case, come to think of it. So she's like Big Brother, only female, younger and more lenient, and has powers of persuasion that completely surpass those of even FDR and Churchill?

Makes sense.

She could have a more successful Kim Il Sung style cult of personality around her, which could explain the seemingly necrocratic nature of her country.

I just was reading the news/interview things of each leader and found some facts:
-Polystralia alone has a population of 5 BILLION(This is definitively ASB):eek:
-At least 2 more world wars and 3 major revolutions have happened according to Slavic leader
- Franco Iberia and Slavic Federation share a united humanity is needed worldview
-Brasilia is known for helping others, also mentions Fallout in Central Asia
-Africa is drying up in terms of resources, was major source of them on Earth to the ARC and PAC
-PAC mentions Korea Crises and South China Sea War
-ARC mentions reclaiming of Coastal lands - "Trans Mississippi Recovery Initiative", US govt (kind-of) can maintain control over the corporation (arguments over Space colonization with congress, FBI investigations, company is on stock market)
-Something Strange is going on In India (some anti-religion journalist was somehow converted to the Phrophet)

-Polystralia alone has a population of 5 BILLION(This is definitively ASB):eek:

BILLION, not MILLION? Holy Sealions the devs must have been really confused when they were looking at what might happen. Given the area that Polystralia should theoretically be controlling (I think they have Indonesia), 500 million is going to be stretching it a bit, but 5 billion is way too much. What about the rest of the world?

BILLION, not MILLION? Holy Sealions the devs must have been really confused when they were looking at what might happen. Given the area that Polystralia should theoretically be controlling (I think they have Indonesia), 500 million is going to be stretching it a bit, but 5 billion is way too much. What about the rest of the world?

https://www.civilization.com/en/news/2014-09-a-candid-interview-with-polystralias-hutama/

Specific line:
"On one hand you don’t send Freeland; five billion citizens of the Commonwealth suffer privation. On the other hand you send Freeland; four billion, nine hundred ninety-nine million, nine hundred ninety thousand citizens of the Commonwealth..."

No other "leader interviews" mention anything about Population numbers

The ARC was mentioned as originally starting as a garage like business like RDA in Avatar. It probably just grew due to lack of competition.

Deleted member 82792

What happen to the other countries like China or Japan?

What happen to the other countries like China or Japan?

The Pan-Asian Cooperative is mentioned to have been formed from the PRC. If so, China might have had to bear attacks during the "Great Mistake" and its bureaucracy unraveled afterwards. Or it could have been formed after the South China Sea War, which I recall being mentioned in Daoming's bio, after China (possibly) absorbs part, if not most of ASEAN into a new organization - the Cooperative.

Japan is mentioned to have let old rivalries and tensions be done with and is working in tandem with the PAC. Whether it and South Korea are full-fledged members or are independent in terms of military, foreign relations, etc. is a source of speculation.

I personally prefer the background to the original SMAC, unfortunately. But I'll take a look at the Beyond Earth stuff once it gets consolidated, at least for a laugh

Quite interested in what happened to North-Western Europe. A Franco-Iberian alliance as a representation for Europe sounds like something bad happened to the Core.

Quite interested in what happened to North-Western Europe. A Franco-Iberian alliance as a representation for Europe sounds like something bad happened to the Core.

Maybe they are another necrocracy :D :

franco_lil_3.jpg

I'm baaaaaaaack, deal with it.

games out so bump?

I don't own the game yet but from pics of the games menu globe I can determine North Korea is still North Korea (there are no lights there, also there are no lights in the Mississippi or Iowa? area so that could mean something)

games out so bump?

I don't own the game yet but from pics of the games menu globe I can determine North Korea is still North Korea (there are no lights there, also there are no lights in the Mississippi or Iowa? area so that could mean something)

The devs said that there was a nuclear war in Asia which saw China basically destroy the Middle East and North Korea (the latter "just to be sure"). I doubt much infrastructure would have been rebuilt since then, even with a multinational collectivist hivemind in power.

The Mississippi Delta is known to have swollen and forced the abandonment of cities like New Orleans. Whether that is the same for the entire river might be supported by your observation. Or it might just be a case of "too far to be relevant" Earth shots.