Chronicles vs annals

Not sure if this is the forum, but it definitely does not belong to after 1900, so I try here. Can anyone give a good explanation of the difference between chronicles and annals? From what I understand, they are both historical records in which events are arranged chronologically. I think I might have an approximate idea, but I thought maybe some of you might explain it, so that I am sure if I have got it right.

An annal is an account of events that happened on a yearly basis, by a succession of authors.
Year 01
We got invanded by XXXX, lead by a fierce and unlawful leader. There was an impressive sign in the skies which caused great fear in the land.

Year 02

We got invaded by YYYY, which were repealled by XXXX which gathered an army against them in a battle of the lands of the ZZZZ.
The kind died of hypothermia during the Crusade for the Sahara. Nobody is sure how it happened. The army disbanded and erred back to AAAA.
A chronicle is more an account of a precise event or chain of events, generally written by a sole person (it can be completed) with a more narrative drive.

Last edited:
An annal is an account of events that happened on a yearly basis, by a succession of authors.

A chronicle is more an account of a precise event or chain of events, generally written by a sole person (it can be completed) with a more narrative drive.

So, an annal is like a list of events, while a chronicle is a coherent narrative, connecting various event into a larger whole?