What if Christopher Columbus had discovered the Americas, but working not for Spain, but for the other countries in which he asked for an audience? As far as I know, the countries are England, Portugal, Venice and Genoa.

What if Christopher Columbus had discovered the Americas, but working not for Spain, but for the other countries in which he asked for an audience? As far as I know, the countries are England, Portugal, Venice, and Genoa.

Wasn't it the Caribbean that he discovered and not the Americas.

He may have seen parts of Florida and the deep south but as far as I recall he never once set foot on North or South America on any of his trips to the new world. I could be wrong.

I think that Caribbean is counted as North America but I think that Columbus never stepped to continental Americas.

I think that Caribbean is counted as North America but I think that Columbus never stepped to continental Americas.
he never even saw it ones of his officers was reported seeing a large landmass to the north when chasing some natives but after that nothing

Lusitania

Donor
He tried to sail for Portugal but they refused him. Why because they knew there was land west and more importantly they already knew how to get around Africa. So they sent him packing.

Neither Britain and France were interested and even if he did sail for example theft he land around New England or Atlantic Canada. The natives And lands would not be associated with India that’s for sure.

He tried to sail for Portugal but they refused him. Why because they knew there was land west and more importantly they already knew how to get around Africa. So they sent him packing.

Neither Britain and France were interested and even if he did sail for example theft he land around New England or Atlantic Canada. The natives And lands would not be associated with India that’s for sure.

I mean if Portugal, England, Genoa or Venice were indeed interested in the project.

Lusitania

Donor
I mean if Portugal, England, Genoa or Venice were indeed interested in the project.
But as I mention Portugal has no need. For them to be in need would mean their sea faring program not have reached cape of good hope several years before Columbus. So if the Portuguese were that far behind then it would mean sea faring technology also be behind since they were at forefront of ocean going ships and Columbus not have the right type of ships to cross the ocean.

I just checked, it was IVO Honduras that he landed during his fourth voyage and he came within sight of Venezuela during his third voyage.

aenigma

Banned
But as I mention Portugal has no need. For them to be in need would mean their sea faring program not have reached cape of good hope several years before Columbus. So if the Portuguese were that far behind then it would mean sea faring technology also be behind since they were at forefront of ocean going ships and Columbus not have the right type of ships to cross the ocean.

the king of portugal could have considered it to map more in the west + deny it to others like spain

Lusitania

Donor
The issue with the Portuguese taking him up on his idea was that they were preparing the largest fleet the Portuguese had outfitted st time. The Vasco da Gama and neither believed in Columbus theory or able to devote enough resources to it. So theoretically they could of done it but what would be neglected to do it? Better yet throw him in prison and problem solved.

So, perhaps O
The issue with the Portuguese taking him up on his idea was that they were preparing the largest fleet the Portuguese had outfitted st time. The Vasco da Gama and neither believed in Columbus theory or able to devote enough resources to it. So theoretically they could of done it but what would be neglected to do it? Better yet throw him in prison and problem solved.

So, neither Portugal nor England were interested. What about Genoa or Venice? Columbus went to both countries.