Choose Your Own Viking Kingdom

Which locations would be most interesting for an alternate Viking-influenced kingdom?

• Total voters

Deleted member 114175

Of the areas that were either not conquered, or only partially conquered by Vikings, which one would make for the most interesting Viking kingdom? You may or may not consider plausibility in your choice.

What would the capital of the kingdom be, what religion would it convert to, if any, and how do you think it would develop? Would the kingdom nativize and acculturate in the long term and how would it affect the history of that region?

I think a Norse conquest of Seville, and Muslim Vikings in the Mediterranean, would be a cool possibility.

Of the areas that were either not conquered, or only partially conquered by Vikings, which one would make for the most interesting Viking kingdom? You may or may not consider plausibility in your choice.

What would the capital of the kingdom be, what religion would it convert to, if any, and how do you think it would develop? Would the kingdom nativize and acculturate in the long term and how would it affect the history of that region?

I think a Norse conquest of Seville, and Muslim Vikings in the Mediterranean, would be a cool possibility.
yes

I said North Africa because I remember in this one Egypto-Norse CK2 AAR I read years ago on Paradox, the author said historically the vikings did raid as far as Tunis historically. It'd be interesting if some decided to settle for easier raids around the geographic heart of the Med. Perhaps for some slightly more implausible PoD's, it can be something like the Norse are captured or run out of supplies and end up stranded in North Africa. They could do something like mix culturally with the Berbers.

I think Normandy, or rather, Northern France would be interesting. Either through the seige of Paris going differently or Rollo being greedier and unwilling to convert. It would require a significantly weaker Francia though.

Also, I'd like to shamelessly plug my signature timeline, which features a much more expansionist Viking age. The definition of Viking is also stretched to include the mainland pagan Germanics and the western Baltic Slavs. In the future there may be updates with the Curonians as well. So far the Viking kingdoms are:

*Frisian southern England
*Norse Asturias
*Norse Gascony
*Old Saxon East Francia
*Polabian Prussia
*Obotrite Alsace Lorraine
*Norse Highlands

I am and have always been intrigued with a Celtic-Norse fusion in the British Isles that leaves the region as both unique and Scandinavian-adjacent, ala Finland. Something about the idea of a Viking being in the Round Table, or King Arthur going raiding. Dunno, but if we can have Babylonian Saracens I think we can stick a few Vikings around.

Central Asia, along the Silk Road. I once started a TL about such an event, fell off a cliff for two years, and wrote up a summary of events.

As for realistic possiilities in western Europe
- Gascony (rather than Aquitaine, would it be only because there's a fair chances you had some establishments up to the late Xth century)
- Brittany (Hiberno-Norses not only hold Nantes as they briefly did IOTL, but conquers most of the region)
- Frisia (altough this would rather be a Normandy equivalent)
- While Asturias and generally Cantabrian highlands aren't really practicable from their usual viewpoints, settling in IOTL Portugal northern half in the Xth (in the misdt of muladi revolts makes more sense, ifquite difficult)
- Anywhere on the Baltic, from Seeburg or Truso establishments : it would likely be a mix between Hiberno-Norse coastal statelets and early Rus' presence IMI

Last edited:
- Brittany (Hiberno-Norses not only hold Nantes as they briefly did IOTL, but conquers most of the region)
- Frisia (altough this would rather be a Normandy equivalent)
Could the Normans settle as subjects of Britanny in the territory Brittany recently took from France during the early 10th century?

What would the settlement in Frisia entail, some sort of German Normandy? Would the Normans assimilate to Frisian or Low Frankish linguistically(and socially?) speaking?

Wessex.

Iceland as the center of a North Sea Trade empire.

And for the ASB win, a Viking Kingdom in the Cretaceous. Because the rule of cool say Dinosaurs and Vikings were made fore each other.