Chinese Dionysus

How come the ancient Chinese never developed the ecstatic, sexual-open fertility cults that the Mediterranean civilizations had? How could one come about, what would it look it, how popular could it become, and how long could it last?

How come the ancient Chinese never developed the ecstatic, sexual-open fertility cults that the Mediterranean civilizations had? How could one come about, what would it look it, how popular could it become, and how long could it last?

Because the people involved will get locked in large baskets(normally reserved for transporting pigs) and then thrown into the nearest river.

That doesn't really answer the question...
It's a cultural matter.It simply just wouldn't last,and anyone in it would be locked into large baskets usually reserved for transporting pigs and then thrown into the nearest river to be drowned.

In Chinese culture,any adulterer/adultress,if caught,would be put in a basket normally reserved for pig transportation,and then dumped into the river to be drowned.

You've said the same thing three times...

Some detail would be more helpful, when did this originate and for what reason and who was exempt?

In Chinese culture,any adulterer/adultress,if caught,would be put in a basket normally reserved for pig transportation,and then dumped into the river to be drowned.

Cultural traits have to have a point of genesis. Thus, this could be feasible before the point that non-promiscuity becomes ingrained into Chinese perceptions of what is "proper".

Besides, it's not like the Chinese are biologically chaste. The amount of concubines the Emperors had is testament to that, as is the sheer amount of reproduction the Chinese did to have such a large population, even with all the historical disasters that have befallen them. If anything, the Chinese, like many other Asian countries, are very sexually-active within the 'appropriate' setting (i.e. husband and wife). That can be changed. Hell, even in a relatively modern context, much of the West has gone from "that girl had sex out of wedlock, she is a harlot" to "she's 21 and still a virgin? Bullshit" in little over 60 years. Sure that may be a bit of an oversimplification, but I think my point is pretty clear. Over thousands of years of Chinese history, you can make the OP's challenge happen.

China is not all Confucian. Though the Confucian tendency towards social propriety may have gone a long way to keep ecstatic cults private, if not banished completely.

hmm.

Taoism has the tendency towards ecstatic stuff. And perhaps an importing of Tantric weirdness in place of Buddhism might help.

Cultural traits have to have a point of genesis. Thus, this could be feasible before the point that non-promiscuity becomes ingrained into Chinese perceptions of what is "proper".

Besides, it's not like the Chinese are biologically chaste. The amount of concubines the Emperors had is testament to that, as is the sheer amount of reproduction the Chinese did to have such a large population, even with all the historical disasters that have befallen them. If anything, the Chinese, like many other Asian countries, are very sexually-active within the 'appropriate' setting (i.e. husband and wife). That can be changed. Hell, even in a relatively modern context, much of the West has gone from "that girl had sex out of wedlock, she is a harlot" to "she's 21 and still a virgin? Bullshit" in little over 60 years. Sure that may be a bit of an oversimplification, but I think my point is pretty clear. Over thousands of years of Chinese history, you can make the OP's challenge happen.

Yes, exactly. The students in the Chinese university where I work are very promiscuous. For a more traditional example, the Mosuo minority in Sichuan and Yunnan once had a culture in which the role of the father was downplayed significantly to the point in which there was originally no word for father in their language, because the identity of the father was often unknown.

PhilippeO

Banned
It is likely already exist, just we westerner never heard of them. Chinese wuxia sometime portrayed evil sect as promiscuous.

-----

For Han Chinese, making Taoist sexual arts more successful could be done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoist_sexual_practices

Like Iran, China also occasionally suffer from roving bands of poor young man who kidnap women and share them in common. Several of bandit gang, revolutionary gang during chaotic after dynastic fall could be portrayed as violent version of free sex.

-----

Successful Mazdak Zoroastrian cult in china :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ming_Cult

-----

Musuo is very small tribe, and its only on its Lower Class. Musuo system is apparently imposed by upper-class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosuo#History

If you include the drinking rituals associated with these cults, you may actually have a genetic issue at hand.
It sounds like a racist joke, but the chinese literally in general (though not as a rule) handle alcahol as well as other groups around the world with some rather nasty side effects.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

Hedonistic cults are often linked to alcahol (lowering peoples inhibitions consistently) and as such it may be more difficult (but not impossible) to establish.

I do however propose a modified Taoism. Remove the common idea in which you lose power by transferring vital energies at climax and it isn't too far a stretch for sensual nature sects to form.

If you include the drinking rituals associated with these cults, you may actually have a genetic issue at hand.
It sounds like a racist joke, but the chinese literally in general (though not as a rule) handle alcahol as well as other groups around the world with some rather nasty side effects.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_flush_reaction

Hedonistic cults are often linked to alcahol (lowering peoples inhibitions consistently) and as such it may be more difficult (but not impossible) to establish.
Maybe use another un-inhibiting drug?

Very possible! I am however not too familiar with what drugs were accessible, where, by whom and the "sustainability" of its production (e.g. A drug which is doing note able damage over time is probably going to be a "hard sell" for a divine cult).

Very possible! I am however not too familiar with what drugs were accessible, where, by whom and the "sustainability" of its production (e.g. A drug which is doing note able damage over time is probably going to be a "hard sell" for a divine cult).
Hashish does less physical damage than alcohol, for example. Also, it is an Asian plant. It has various effects, though, not all of them exactly, errr, vitalising.

The most appropriate drugs would be stimulants like amphetamines or cocaine or hallucinogens. Unfortunately, amphetamines require industrial technology and cocaine comes from the new world. As far as hallucinogens go, the most readily available one in the Old World, LSD, again requires industrial technology to keep from straight up killing people.

Everything else available is a depressant that would interfere with, er...proper functioning. No real substitute for alcohol in pre-industrial China I'm afraid.

Some have mentioned hashish, but that doesn't really get you reliably randy and stupid the way alcohol does.

Last edited:
Because Opium is not exactly energising.

On the other hand, nauseating and relaxing effects could have their own functions in a Dionysian cult. After all, such a cult is not exclusively about fornication. But you"d need at least a minimum of activity.