China goes Nationalist

No doubt this has been posted before, but still post what you think would happen if the Nationalists somehow won the Chinese Civil War. I think China grows even faster then in OTL, and the UN is able to achieve a solid victory in Korea. The Cold War probably ends earlier as well. What are you opinions and thoughts?

But the new government would be pretty corrupt and would have to deal with unequal distribution of wealth and occasional famines.

Max Sinister said:
But the new government would be pretty corrupt and would have to deal with unequal distribution of wealth and occasional famines.

Sounds like the Communist regime in some ways.

China would grow a lot slower then OTL.
Sure it wasn't very nice particularly if you had money but Mao definatly did get results and China made huge progress.

It depends on what happens once victory is there's really- does a democracy get established? do they stick with a west friendly totalitarian regime? how does the USSR take it? (I doubt they would just let communism in China die.,..)

My guess would be that a Nationalist China stays fairly totalitarian, though Chiang probably sets up the trappings of democracy to look good. Once Chiang gets too old or dies the country probably starts to gradually move towards an actual democracy.

As for the USSR, I doubt they would be happy about Chinese communism being badly beaten, but short of all-out war there is only so much Stalin can do. Maybe we end up with some Taiwan-esque little splinter of China right on the Soviet border (Sinkiang could work) that is run by the Communists and claims to be the true Chinese government.

Since Chain Kai Sheck (spells how?) comes four in the democide (*)statistics, not very good. I think that he even was inte plane economy.

(*) Worst mas murder after Mao, Stalin and Hitler.

Hendryk

Banned
Leej said:
Sure it wasn't very nice particularly if you had money but Mao definatly did get results and China made huge progress.
I quite disagree. Mao's rule was an unmitigated disaster for China. His only real achievement was making the Chinese feel better about themselves by giving them the impression they were a major power once more. Beyond that he caused terrible damage from which the country still hasn't fully recovered.

Chengar Qordath said:
My guess would be that a Nationalist China stays fairly totalitarian, though Chiang probably sets up the trappings of democracy to look good. Once Chiang gets too old or dies the country probably starts to gradually move towards an actual democracy.
"Totalitarian" is too strong a word, "dictatorial" more accurately describes Chiang's regime. As to how it would evolve, the post-1949 history of Taiwan gives us a pretty good indication: a few decades of authoritarian rule, followed by a gradual relaxation until eventually real democracy is achieved. Although given China's size it's possible that more top-down elements would survive.

Hendryk said:
I quite disagree. Mao's rule was an unmitigated disaster for China. His only real achievement was making the Chinese feel better about themselves by giving them the impression they were a major power once more.

Well they were/are. Not a first rate power but definatly one of the best 2nd rate ones.
China was really in a bad state before, you can't compare it to other asian nations as many anti-communist folks do.

Beyond that he caused terrible damage from which the country still hasn't fully recovered.
Like what?

Last edited:
Well if China goes Nationalist problems will arise. But let us not forget the almost assured assistance from America. Wars may take a different course, N. Korea is outright gone without Chinese Communists to assist it. The same can be said for N. Vietnam. Cambodia may never have to deal with Pol Pot, and Tibet may be free.

I think the world may be a little better off with such a country, no matter how corrupt.

The Sandman

Banned
An important question here is whether total Nationalist victory occurs before or after the Sino-Japanese War. I suspect that if it occurs afterwards, the Nationalists may very well replace Tibet and Xinjiang with Communist North Korea and North Vietnam as the targets du jour; those areas were traditionally in the Chinese sphere of influence, and I doubt Chiang would like the idea of potential havens for ChiCom remnants surviving on his borders. Obviously, he can't do anything about the USSR, but the other bits would be more his speed.

Also, how might an independent Tibet and Xinjiang develop? Would the Soviets simply add Xinjiang to their Central Asian holdings?

Aracnid said:
I think the Sov's would take Xinjiang and the U.S. would force Nat. China to leave Tibet alone.

I can´t see why the US should force Nat. China to leave Tibet alone. What´s in it for them? Plus, if China decides to do something in their sphere of influence there´s only so much to do about it.

If communists start popping up in Tibet, US would endorse National invasion.

The Sandman

Banned
I suppose another question here would be whether or not the Nationalists have the same sort of border clashes with the USSR that the Communists did. Given that they no longer have even vaguely similar ideological underpinnings to their regimes, those could get much worse than in OTL.

I guess that all the states which became Communist IOTL still would have more or less strong Communist underground movements.

Leej said:
Well they were/are. Not a first rate power but definatly one of the best 2nd rate ones.
China was really in a bad state before, you can't compare it to other asian nations as many anti-communist folks do.

Like what?

The Great Leap Backwards! Difficult to say how many millions died in that. Followed by the Cultural Revolution. Decapitating a good proportion of the educated population for the best part of a generation. China would also have avoided the huge losses they suffered in the Korean war. A Nationalist government would have been very corrupt but would also have had access to western funds and resources. Western influence would have provided a moderating factor in excesses in the Chinese government. [Not always profitable in the long run for the population perhaps. The western dissatisfaction with the Shan's regime in Iran helped enable a much bloodier and more repressive replacement for instance.]

Steve

The Sandman said:
For a little bit of irony, maybe the Communists flee to Taiwan in this scenario?
The communists were too far north to have fled to Taiwan, maybe they take over Mongolia or something. But they probably do survive in some other country-maybe even a few of them flee to the USSR.

They probably could hold out in Manchuria...

Taiwan was also still occupied by US troops, which is why it was so easy for Chiang Kai-Shek to retreat there.

The Sandman said:
For a little bit of irony, maybe the Communists flee to Taiwan in this scenario?

That would be a nice bit of irony, but I don't think it is too likely. Communist Taiwan would lack the naval assistance that the US offered to Nationalist Taiwan, at the least the US would happily stand aside as Chiang took Taiwan, and there's a fair chance he would get at least indirect help in taking the island.