Children of Chaos: Margaret Beaufort's Other Progeny

Prologue
Prologue: September, 1476

The Lady Richmond held her hand lightly against her infant daughter’s cheek, feeling the petal soft skin brush against her fingertips as a steady breath mounted forward. This birth had been the hardest, and the doctors had warned that little Joan must be the last for her and Thomas, despite her want for even more. But three in a row had been hard on her body, maybe as hard as her Henry, across the Channel and too far away.

Tapestries of miracles and triumphs lined the walls of the nursery, replacing the more depressing stories her husband had initially demanded for his son’s rooms. It had been nothing short of an argument, but something had to be done when she saw the corpses and burning of Jeanne of Arc.

“Why fill his head with death from the cradle?” she’d demanded; then gone were fallen soldiers and in was hope.

Margaret’s path had not been as easy as it might have been, but in this nursery, with two babes asleep amongst the softest cushions money could afford, it might all be worth it. She hummed, a rare sound, while the nursemaid stood patiently for her to be done gazing.

But there was a rush, and soon a dozen servants followed a young footman, breathlessly rushing in.

“Ma’am, ma’am! The Queen-“

“What, boy?”

“The Queen! She’s here!”

She shushed the boy and stared for confirmation. The gaggle of men and women behind him nodded wildly, and she stood shocked as they awaited her response.

“Where is she?”

An older woman, seemingly less pulsed than the rest of the rabble, stepped forward,

“She’s on her way here as we speak, ma’am. She wanted to surprise you.”

Margaret looked to the nursemaid, wide eyed and confused.

“What should we do?”

Shaky, she stepped back, looked around, and sighed. A surprise visit meant chaos, but the Woodvilles had never been greatly interested in formality. Margaret guessed she was being gifted with the confirmed friendship of the Queen. Had this been at court, she’d be thrilled. Instead, in this fortress, where she’d relaxed a little, it was an intrusion. But it couldn’t be changed.

“You need to leave this room. Line up by the door to nod and greet her, and when she leaves, do the same. You,” she pointed to the youngest boy, “need to run to the cook and tell him to pull whatever fancy treats he might have for a light meal in my rooms, and start preparing for a large banquet dinner. Now go!”

They scurried away, and Margaret smoothed her dress out and waited for the Queen to walk in. Fully destroying the surprise for Elizabeth Woodville would be paramount to a slight, so she started around the room, busying herself to distraction. Soon, SHE arrived.

Blue silk wafting wide, with a simple hood and cloak, the Queen might have been mistaken for the gentry her family was, if not for her hands, heavy with rings. In one she led the Princess Elizabeth, herself bedecked in a gown resembling her mother’s. In the other, the Princess Cecily, more distinct in her yellow. Less flattering too.

Margaret turned to see the three beauties, blonde and smiling, in her doorway, and didn’t have to hide her shock. The twits hadn’t mentioned the Princesses, and what was a warning if half given? Regardless, she returned their smiles and dropped down before her. The Queen motioned her up.

“Lady Richmond, no need for formality.”

“I’m sorry, your Grace, for not preparing for your arrival.”

“No, no, do not be silly. We’re intruding on your peace here.”

Margaret held her curtsey a second long, mostly to hide a grimace, and returned to her full height, barely taller than the younger Elizabeth. In the full light of day, with the sun in their hair, she was struck by how alike the three of them were, and how dull she seemed by comparison. They were tall golden roses, and her lily amongst them. Even her dress, a dark green she’d thought suitable in the morning, seem a little less lavish against them. But she still had a job to do.

“And what do I owe the pleasure of such a visit, your Grace. And may I say your highnesses are looking especially lovely in your gowns.”

“Thank you!” Cecily beamed.

“Thank you, Lady Richmond. Cecily almost ruined hers getting out of the carriage.”

“Elizabeth”

The Queen quietly scolded her elder daughter, and Margaret watched as little Cecily, so happy a second earlier, deflated. She straightened her back, and decided to quietly disarm the brat.

“Lady Cecily, I’ve often said yellow is one of the prettiest colours.”

“Really?” the young Princess looked up at her, as very few could.

The Queen looked at her too, confused. But Margaret had to get it out before the elder daughter could pipe in.

“Of course, it’s the colour of sunshine, and very becoming on young ladies,” she turned to the Queen, “of course, you all have the colouring to pull off anything, but I was always partial to yellow.”

The Queen evidently got what was going on and smiled at her younger daughter. The Princess Elizabeth, puzzled but unsure how she was being slighted, began to pout, and then pointed to the cradles behind their hostess.

“Are those the babies?”

The Queen’s eyes widened, annoyed, and she gave her daughter’s hands a squeeze. Margaret stepped to the side, indicating her babies but not really allowing any closer access for the young girl.

“Yes, Lady Elizabeth, these are my children. The Master Thomas, and the Mistress Joan Stanley.”

The Queen stepped forward with her daughters, and Margaret stepped back to the cradles, and they all looked in. The younger Elizabeth was obviously unimpressed, and little Cecily looked confused.

“Why are they different sizes?”

“Thomas is older, darling. Remember how we discussed the Lady Richmond having a baby last year?”

“Yes, but they’re still both smaller than Anne.”

The Queen looked at her apologetically, but Margaret had to laugh.

“Your highnesses, those in my family tend to run a fair bit smaller than the Woodvilles or the House of York. Beauforts and Stanleys are both compact peoples.”

“Is that good?” Elizabeth asked pompously.

“It lets us hide in the cracks of ruined walls and the leaves of shrubs like fairies.”

At Cecily’s giggle, Margaret beckoned over the nursemaid.

“Your Grace, if you would like, Mrs Birch is about to collect my elder daughter from her studies and take her out for exercise. Do you think the Princesses might enjoy a walk through the gardens?”

The young Elizabeth went to complain, but Margaret continued as if she hadn’t seen her wind up.

“And, of course, they’d get to go down to the roses and catch butterflies,” Cecily’s eyes lit up, “and take them to the library to get pressed for a locket or little keepsake.”

At this point the younger Princess was practically bouncing, and Elizabeth, despite her cooler demeanour, was obviously interested. The Queen gave her consent, and Elizabeth and Margaret watched the young girls follow the old nursemaid out the room. Margaret had barely seen them leave before she was turned around by an obviously embarrassed Queen Elizabeth.

“Lady Richmond, I’m so sorry, Elizabeth has been getting a little difficult recently. The King ordered everyone to refer to her as ‘Dauphine’ and suddenly she’s gotten more than a little pompous.”

Margaret shrugged, free of her put on playfulness for the sake of the children,

“Don’t worry, your Grace, I don’t mind. At her age I was a Duchess, and had twice the airs besides, and in half the body. But my, they’ve grown since I’ve been to court.”

“Haven’t they,” the Queen settled into a seat by the empty fireplace, and Margaret stood by the cradles, aware she couldn’t sit unless indicated otherwise, “I mean, Elizabeth is nearly your height, and if you’d seen the Prince of Wales, you’d think him nearly of age with her Mary. She’s been ill again, but likely to recover. Always with the aches and pains, that girl. My father reads to her and my mother feeds her boiled plums and pickled pig’s feet. Promises it’ll make her strong.”

“My mother used to feed me a potato burnt black every time I was sick.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I don’t know why, and it never worked, but I think it’s something her mother used to do. I think the char was supposed to draw out the illness. Regardless, I avoided illness as much as possible to avoid the potato.”

The Queen laughed, and pointed to a stool so that, finally, she could be seated.

“I might have to try that for Mary. She enjoys too much being babied amongst the nursery maids.”

She smoothed her skirts to hide it, but Margaret noticed her slight quiver. The Princess Mary wasn’t always a healthy girl.

“So what made you decide to visit me here, your Grace?”

Safer topic, less like for disaster.

“Well, you see, it’s a matter of your son.”

Oh no.

“Thomas? He’s doing well. He’s almost speaking, actually. Should we wake him?”

Margaret turned to the cradle, but Elizabeth coughed.

“No, your elder son. Let the babe rest.”

Goddamn it.

“Henry.”

“Yes,” Elizabeth looked uncomfortable, “the Earl of Richmond. The King received copies of letters you’d written him earlier this year. Concerning his return.”

Danger.

“Yes?”

“Well, you didn’t ask permission from the King to contact a traitor in exile.”

“I spoke to the King prior to my leave of absence for permission to contact my son. He agreed and indicated we might soon reunite. I just wanted to keep him abreast of the situation here in England. His home.”

Elizabeth look at her in sympathy,

“That was one letter, Lady Richmond. We’ve found three thus far.”

“Yes, I’ve had two children since the first letter.”

“This might be paramount to treason.”

Margaret stiffened. The hounds were circling.

“All that was in those letters was news of childbirth and wishes of health. He never even wrote back.”

“Was there a code amongst them?”

“No, your Grace, there wasn’t.”

“So, you don’t support his talk of armies against the King?”

“Of course, I don’t. I just want my son back.”

“Your son, the man attempting to build an invasion to take England from my family.”

“No, my son, barely a man grown, left ill and alone across the water and trying to return to his ancestral home because the King sees knives in the hands of shadows.”

Now was Elizabeth’s turn to stiffen.

“It’s hardly a shadow when he has a claim to the throne!”

“What claim? His father was the bastard son of a bastard Welshman and a French Princess!”

“Your claim!”

“I’m the daughter of a bastard line, illegitimate under law, with no claim to the throne.”

“Some may not see it that way!”

“Would you bury me with my children?”

Elizabeth gasped, and Margaret dropped her gaze. This was too far.

“Margaret,” Elizabeth almost whispered, “what would you do?”

She looked up.

“Pardon, your Grace.”

“Drop the formality. If we swapped positions, what would you do? Would you want Henry back if you were me?”

Not a chance. It was too dangerous. Margaret looked her in the eyes to answer.

“Yes, Elizabeth, I would. I’d bring him back and celebrate with you. If I were Queen, and your Richard was away, I’d do everything I could to bring him back to you.”

She held her gaze. Too many lies fell apart because of cowardice. This one had to hold.

“Thank you, Margaret. I needed to hear that. It’s hard,” she sniffled, “holding onto this power. I never wanted it. But you deserve to have your son with you. I hope I can help you do it. Who knows, maybe he could make a match with Mary or Cecily.”

Margaret stayed grim.

“I think, considering our conversation, that might do more harm than good.”

The Queen laughed, her usual bright self.

“Of course. But we might dream of a better future. Bound together by blood and friendship.”

Margaret bit her tongue. That had been a close call. Elizabeth leaned in.

“Lady Richmond, might I ask how your eldest daughter is?”

“Margaret? She’s well, your Grace. Her French tutor arrived last week so she’s just begun language lessons.”

“You know, after I leave here, while we’re on progress this summer, I plan on visiting the Lady Gloucester in the North,” her tone took on a conspiratorial bent, “and I happen to think that, maybe, we might mend some rifts by a suitable marriage. I also might consider your new baby Joan might make a wonderful Duchess of Clarence one day. That might be better than an Earl for one of my Princesses. ”

Margaret didn’t sense a trap, but this didn’t feel exactly safe either. While she couldn’t be upset at the idea of her daughters being Duchesses, royal connections were the last things she wanted. Royal blood bled too easily. But still, she smiled and nodded.

“You see great things in such little packages. I’m barely able to stand with the title of Baroness!”

“Ah, but you are a Queen, Lady Richmond. Do not forget the Isle of Mann!”

The thought of that old title, which her husband so proudly wore at home, brought real laughter, which woke the children. The two women took the natural turn of cooing over infants, and the Queen felt relaxed again. But Margaret could not escape the feeling of entrapment. She couldn’t trust these Yorks and she didn’t want them stopping her son from coming home.

Last edited:
Margaret Beaufort - March, 1484
Knowsley: March, 1484

She’d been trapped. All that work on Buckingham for nothing, and now she was a prisoner to her husband, with her elder gone and barely anything to bide her time. Sweet Joan, still too young to play a part in the games of court, kept her company, but Thomas and Margaret were in the King’s web, Thomas under the Earl of Lincoln and Margaret in the attendance of Elizabeth of York.

That vacuous fool.

The days were long and tedious, punctuated by mass and meals. She slipped letters to Henry through a loyal servant, but other than that, little came of her time. The house ran smoothly without her guidance. In truth, her husband and the Usurper had conjured up a prison of boredom, not cells.

But she knew her son was coming. Henry, for all of his trials, would wear the crown, take the throne and free her from this hated place. God came for the righteous.

She had a different mission today, and it had to be done in secrecy. A package was arriving and she’d have precious cargo for the next few days.

--

Joan Stanley had often wondered why she was stuck at home with her mother. No one seemed willing to explain the problems that had arose months prior, when suddenly her brother and sister had been taken off to Court and her mother suddenly was stuck at home. But if nothing else, Joan was a sensible girl, and she soon realised that being the only girl in the house left her quite able to wander the grounds mostly unattended and skip lessons in Italian that made her head hurt.

She knew she wasn’t the favourite child, but that suited her just fine. Thomas was the boy, and since her other brother wasn’t around, the obvious choice for her mother to fawn over. And as for Margaret, only 3 years her elder but so sophisticated, it seemed obvious why everyone fawned over her. The awkwardness of youth seemed to have skipped the elder sister by and landed instead on the younger. But to be thin and small, with hair the colour of brown snow, had its advantages.

Namely, anonymity.

She didn’t want to be a grand court lady. Fine dresses were heavy, and she didn’t like being stared at by strangers. Back before the status quo had been set, she’d been introduced to the Queen, and while it had been exciting to meet her (although she was sure her mother had said the Queen was blonde, not red haired), the days had been gruelling. She especially didn’t like to eat at the table the first night, edged in by Margaret on her left, and another Margaret on her right.

The court was a dangerous place, she much preferred out here, with the gardens, and the dogs. Her favourite pet had died protecting her from a fox a year ago, so she felt safe with them around. No courtier would ward off danger like that.

The rattle of carriage wheels caught her attention, and Joan rushed behind a tree to watch as an older man stepped out, ushering in a small, hooded figure. They entered through the servant’s quarters.

Joan knew better than to follow strangers. She did so anyway.

Very nice start.

Assuming (and it is arguably a big assumption) things go vaguely as IOTL regarding Bosworth, big questions going forward would be what Henry VII's relationship with his brother is like ITTL- they're complete strangers to each other, which doesn't help, and Thomas Stanley Jnr might feel hard done by if he isn't given sufficient lands (it would easy for him to be bitter about Henry hoarding their mother's lavish inheritance, especially combined with the fact that he won't be getting anything from his father given his elder half-brothers).

Also question of whether the existence of a half-brother would alter Henry VII's relationship with the elder Stanleys- would Henry be suspicious of them potentially wanting to supplant him with his half-brother (because why settle for a step-son on the throne when you can put your own son on it)?

Step-uncle William obviously got himself beheaded IOTL, if he shares some disenchantment with his nephew they could get into trouble together.

Of course, we're not at Bosworth yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what @Kynan does with things...

Margaret Beaufort would be called Lady Richmond as her title is still (Dowager) Countess of Richmond who is much higher than the Baroness Stanley who she would have for her actual marriage

Margaret Beaufort would be called Lady Richmond as her title is still (Dowager) Countess of Richmond who is much higher than the Baroness Stanley who she would have for her actual marriage
Didn’t she style her self as Countess Richmond though?

Didn’t she style her self as Countess Richmond though?

You guys are right, Richmond, not Stanley, would be her title. I screwed that up and will fix for this and future updates!

You guys are right, Richmond, not Stanley, would be her title. I screwed that up and will fix for this and future updates!
Keep in mind also who at least in modern peerage Lady + title is NOT used for Duchesses but only for the wives of the other ranks of peerage

Very nice start.

Assuming (and it is arguably a big assumption) things go vaguely as IOTL regarding Bosworth, big questions going forward would be what Henry VII's relationship with his brother is like ITTL- they're complete strangers to each other, which doesn't help, and Thomas Stanley Jnr might feel hard done by if he isn't given sufficient lands (it would easy for him to be bitter about Henry hoarding their mother's lavish inheritance, especially combined with the fact that he won't be getting anything from his father given his elder half-brothers).

Also question of whether the existence of a half-brother would alter Henry VII's relationship with the elder Stanleys- would Henry be suspicious of them potentially wanting to supplant him with his half-brother (because why settle for a step-son on the throne when you can put your own son on it)?

Step-uncle William obviously got himself beheaded IOTL, if he shares some disenchantment with his nephew they could get into trouble together.

Of course, we're not at Bosworth yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what @Kynan does with things...
I suspect that, all other things being the same, Thomas Jr's line will get Derby. That is, Henry will invest it on Thomas Sr and his heirs by Margaret rather than all his heirs.

I suspect that, all other things being the same, Thomas Jr's line will get Derby. That is, Henry will invest it on Thomas Sr and his heirs by Margaret rather than all his heirs.

Potentially- but wouldn't the elder sons still get the bulk of the Stanley estate and leave Thomas Junior struggling to maintain his dignity as an earl (unless he gets sufficient handouts from Henry/some of Margaret's inheritance)?

Potentially- but wouldn't the elder sons still get the bulk of the Stanley estate and leave Thomas Junior struggling to maintain his dignity as an earl (unless he gets sufficient handouts from Henry/some of Margaret's inheritance)?
Depends how Stanley wills it I suppose.

Margaret Stanley - 1484
The English Court: March, 1484

“Cecily, I need you to go take a note to the Queen!”

Elizabeth of York’s voice rose high and clear above the sounds of her chattering ladies. It was still early days of her return to court, no longer a Princess, but still she stood with all the majesty she’d been raised with. And within this court of sisters and a few unlucky girls, she could play Queen to her heart’s content. Which she did with a touch of whimsy and a heaping spoonful of cruelty.

“Elizabeth, I’m not your servant.”

The former Princess Cecily, meanwhile, was somewhat more crushed by their fall into bastardry. She didn’t believe it for a second, but a year prior, she’d been planning for a glorious future as Queen of Scotland. She’d have outranked her sister in a few years, maybe forever if yet another match fell through. She’d watched as the French crown had slipped of her head. Many others might too.

Margaret Stanley watched intently as the two sisters stared each other down, sewing methodically a shirt that would go to her father now that her mother refused to do her wifely duties. But she didn’t mind. Sewing didn’t occupy the mind. That left time for listening.

Little Anne of York, the only person in the room shorter than her, seemed more interested in the Mistress Joan FitzAlan and her stories of a flirtation with one of the Nevilles that littered the court. But that wasn’t particularly interesting. Men were pushy, and too crude to be of any real interest. They only really mattered in the moment. But here in this room, between two bastard Princesses, this was a real war.

“I don’t see why it’s so hard for you to walk to her quarters and hand her a piece of paper.”

“If it’s so easy,” Cecily countered, pointedly sitting down on a stool by the fire, “then why not send a servant? Or even go yourself?”

Eyes narrowed.

“I cannot go until I am dressed.”

“And why are you not dressed?”

“Because I need to wear the same gown as the Queen!”

Elizabeth’s voice cracked with frustration, and the FitzAlan conversation stuttered out entirely. Margaret felt Anne’s sewing drop beside her as she stood up.

“I’ll take the note.” she said with finality.

“No!” her sisters, in unison, yelped.

“Fine.”

Back to sewing.

“Why must you wear the same gown as the Queen?”

Cecily drummed her fingers against her knee, raising her fair eyebrows with the question. Margaret noted how they missed every spot of embroidery and wondered if that was intentional.

“It’s a game we play,” Elizabeth dramatically turned to the rest of her cohort, “as we all must have known by now.”

“What type of game only has one participant?”

“Everyone is playing!”

“Only in your head.”

“Take the note!”

“If I have that note in my hand it’ll go into the fire.”

Margaret gasped, and suddenly Elizabeth had a new target.

“Well then, Miss Stanley, will you take the note?”

All eyes on her. Margaret’s small frame, so straight a moment before, sunk a little under the too bright stare of the former Princess. Anne stood up again.

“I’ll take it, Elizabeth.”

“But I asked her. And weren’t you asked by our uncle, the King, to attend me?”

Cecily snorted,

“She’s not a servant.”

“She’ll be what I ask her to be.”

Margaret slipped off her stool, barely standing any taller.

“I can take the note if you like, Miss Elizabeth.”

That little knock against the York girl’s pride would probably cost her, but she felt vindicated at the wince in her eyes. But still, she took the note and smiled politely.

“Thank you. Please make note of which dress the Queen is wearing while you’re there.”

She nodded, and left a very silent, tense room.

Thomas Stanley Snr. - 1484
Lord Stanley watched as his son and namesake practiced in the yards of the Palace. While his presence under the King’s eye was more of a threat than a gift, he had to admit that he enjoyed the presence of his younger son. King Richard seemed to admire the small boy’s boundless energy, and at least that affection might dampen the catastrophe his wife had caused.

Young Humphrey de la Pole, the King’s nephew, sparred against the sparrow of a boy, tall and heavy against the darting smallness of young Thomas. There was nothing particularly graceful about the way either of them fought. The older boy beat down, as if to squash his opponent, while his son spent more time on the ground rolling like a puppy than he did striking own. Both had plenty of bruises to prove neither strategy was effective, but they continued all the same. Thomas would have to learn to fight or roll in armour one day, but for now, as they boys yelled in delight, he was fine with his son’s progress.

Bringing his younger children to court hadn’t been the plan just yet. His daughter Margaret, for all her airs and grace, hadn’t seemed ready yet to play a Lady, and Thomas was certainly too young to leave his lessons. But the King had insisted, upon the failure of his wife’s rebellion for a son she barely knew, to draw them in. A fever had managed to keep Joan at home. But in due time, she’d be forced in too.

The Beaufort blood, so glorious for his family initially, had it’s drawbacks. The Queen herself had questioned the danger his children presented. There was talk, however brief, that the royal blood meet through his daughter and the young Prince.

But what might that mean for Thomas?

Last edited:
Ooh, interesting. Hopefully Thomas gets himself a nice bride! Great to see Margaret being able to be there for her children's childhood. Great update!

Ooh, interesting. Hopefully Thomas gets himself a nice bride! Great to see Margaret being able to be there for her children's childhood. Great update!
Oooo should have been more clear. The "Margaret" in this post is their daughter, not Lady Richmond.