Chernobyl Timeline

Having watched a dramatisation of the Chernobyl Incident in 1986 there was a scene where the officials involved describe a possible thermal explosion as leveling two hundred square miles and vapourising all of the fuel in the four reactors at the facility. So I was wondering what would a world where that happened be like, the sociopolitical effects, the military implications and the state of the world after this happens.

The actual information given can be found here.

This is an upload of the entire thing, if this is against the rules please let me know and I'll try to do a transcript instead, no breach of the rules is desired.

one I think the movie has a copyright.. Might want to remove it,

2 .. If that were too take place kyiv would be screwed as would the soil and water along the dnipro .. That said the soviets wouldn't be able to wait 3 days to tell the obvious

besides the larger direct loss of life, Belarus would be screwed, the water effects on kyiv and if the winds change probably more would be real.

a refuge crisis would ensue

soviets would remain in denial, refusing outside help, would also water this would stop nuclear power for good, and the soviet union pretty much would grind to a halt

if the wind's shift south you contaminate huge areas of prime farm land. the contamintion would be extensive

Wow, that thermal explosion thing is scarying. Seems that three divers went swimming through the contaminated water to open relieve valves and suceeded only to died an horrible death of radiation poisoning three weeks later.
https://www.google.fr/search?q="chernobyl""divers"&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sXjfWPiHI4P_8AeLvbHYBg

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-4+&cd=2&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr&client=firefox-b

That's an oft repeated myth about Chernobyl, not to diminish or dismiss the courage or the importance of these three men. But all three of the divers survived, they've remained mostly anonymous in the years since, which is why the myth has flourished so. One did die of a heart attack in 2005 and the two others are probably still alive today. It makes for a tremendous story, but even a benign desire to venerate the dead, must go hand in hand with the truth. As must everything.

well even with all that happen Belarus is still habitable .. hell people have lived in the exclusion zones since weeks after. ( not a lot mind you)

not saying it would be pretty, and there would be a surge in cancers and other issues. but as they say it would be what it is .. clean up and containment would take place