The main point was to explain that Peter left Russia in a very lousy shape practically in all areas and acquisition of few tiny provinces coul$ not change this sad fact.

To #1. Formally, anybody. Out of the realistic enemies (plus ATL Natalya) Peter Alexeevich (formally, the most eligible candidate), Elizabeth. What about Catherine? Is she around in your TL? She had a strong backing by the Guards. Then goes Anna Petrovna and the daughters of Ivan V.
#2. The comment was about not introducing that tax but about the general style of Peter’s reforms: they quite often had the disastrous results and their failure was not due to the conservative opposition (presumably, the long-bearded boyars hiding in the dark corners) but because they were foolish or plain idiotic like an order to use the western-style looms: most of the fabric production had been done by the individuals and the wide western devices did not fit into the small peasant houses (eventually, the industrial scale manufactures had been created and all their workers became serfs). Or the order to the shipbuilders of the North to build the Dutch-style ships instead of their traditional ones well suited for sailin* in the icy waters. Soldiers wearing the tricorner hats, stockings and shoes in the Russian winter or spring/fall mud ..... the old uniforms had been much better suited for the climate, etc.
#3. Even the limited conquest in that direction came too early: Russia did not need the area an$ could not afford conquest for the sake of conquest.
#4. The point was that instead of an evolution Peter, typically, chose a revolution and picked the worst possible practices. Of course, after years of fighting army developed certain experience but the related losses and expenses had been huge and the results not too impressive: an encounter with the Ottomans had been a disaster. Post-Petrian army was not well-suited for the European war and Munnich had to conduct a number of reforms including Introduction of the cuirassiers (for which Russia did not have its own horses, they had to be purchased abroad). Pretty much the same goes for the war with the Ottomans: by 1730 Russian army did not have a proper logistics and tactics. The war was won but the non-battle losses had been huge.
#5. It was not about what could be done but about the “education reform” being one more phony project. There were simply not enough qualified people to provide tutors for most of the Russian nobility.
#6. In OTL at the time of Peter’s death “opposition” was backing his grandson and had been defeated by the Guards. As a consolation prize CI added some of the top aristocrats to the Privy Council. So, unless there are some political shifts, the Guards are the decisive factor in the selection of a successor. However, if there is Peter’s will, the successor can start creating a party of his/her own and the rest depends upon the brains and luck. Anyway, the people I’m talking about had been mostly well-educated and experienced administrators, diplomats and military. If they are not given too much power, they can be quite useful.
2. I believe that while Peter did a bad job implementing his reforms, they did set the stage for Russia to become a more modern nation. Would you agree on that?
4. Yeah, Russia still doesn’t have a western-Level army (not even close), so the next war is gonna be a harsh lesson for them.
6. If Natalya managed to work with these administrators without giving them too much power, do you think it could happen?

2. I believe that while Peter did a bad job implementing his reforms, they did set the stage for Russia to become a more modern nation. Would you agree on that?
4. Yeah, Russia still doesn’t have a western-Level army (not even close), so the next war is gonna be a harsh lesson for them.
6. If Natalya managed to work with these administrators without giving them too much power, do you think it could happen?
#2. Peter created a foundation for the Russian development going along the lines of the worst case scenario.
#4. “Western-level army” is pretty much meaningless because capacities of the armies of Eastern Europe varied in a wide range. However, quality of the Russian army did noticeably improved within a decade following Peter’s death. I explicitly mentioned Munnich’s reforms, which noticeably improved its quality even if they did not solve all problems. While by 1730s it still had a lot of the weak points, it also had quite a few strong ones and, without major changes between 1730 and 1756 (field howitzers were probably the main thing added), it performed quite well in the field against the Prussian army which greatly improved since 1730s. The quality difference in the 1730s would be even smaller. Austrian army post 1736 was quite unremarkable: it had been beaten by the Ottomans in the same war that the Russians won (1735-39) and by 1734 Eugene was already too old and running a very cautious defensive campaign on the Rhine. The Russians at that time had at least 2 quite good and energetic generals. So who was going to deliver that “harsh lesson”?
#6. Almost anything could happen: we know too little about Natalya to make any definite statements.

France from 1715 to 1730
The growing power of France
France came out of the War of Spanish Succession as a very satisfied European power, having installed a Bourbon on the throne of Spain and even annexing the southern part of the now-Austrian Netherlands. When King Louis XIV died in 1715, his great-grandson inherited arguably the strongest nation in Europe. Of course, since Louis XV was only 5 years old, the kingdom would be run by Phillip II, the Duke of Orleans, until he was of age. His rule saw France grow at a steady pace economically, and the only major event was the War of the Quadruple Alliance, which saw France work with the Dutch Republic, Britain, and Austria to prevent a Spanish takeover of southern Italy. At the Treaty of the Hague in 1720, the terms were mostly minor, with the only changes in Europe being that Savoy got Sardinia in exchange for Austria getting Sicily.

The only major terms were in America. The first change was that the Dutch, wanting to expand their power due to wariness of the rising power of Denmark, wanted to expand their colony of Guyana. As a result, Spain gave up part of the eastern half of the colony of Venezuela [1]. Secondly, the French, who had become more opportunistic following their successful expansion in the WoSS, used the Spanish defeat as a way to take the colony of Santo Domingo for themselves, uniting the entire island of Hispaniola under one French colony, Saint Domigue, which would eventually become one of France's most prosperous colonies.

Speaking of colonies, once Louis XV came of age, his advisers encouraged him to try encouraging the people of France to settle in the North American colony of New France. They had noticed how England was somewhat distracted now that they had to keep an eye on Denmark (as to keep it from taking over the resource-rich Sweden), and decided to take advantage of both the unfocused England and the new inhabitants of France they'd received from the southern Spanish Netherlands. Easily manipulated, Louis XV agreed with their plan to encourage the people of the former Duchy of Luxembourg (along with other French peasants) to move to New France, promising them wealth and riches in return for settling down in the New World.

This policy would prove to be successful, as shown by the tens of thousands of settlers that crossed the Atlantic and settled in both the north and south, with the amount of migrants ranging on average from 5 to 15 thousand a year from 1715 to 1730. It also helped that the settlers already in the New World had a very high birth rate, along with settlement by Swedes fleeing a badly-damaged nation and migrants from other places in Europe such as Germany and Italy. Wealthy Parisians were encouraged to invest in in the Mississippi Company, a scheme for the colonization of French territory of Louisiana. The stock of the company soared at first and managed to survive a minor drop in 1720, leading to Louisiana getting much-needed investment (it was reformed in 1725 into the Mississippi-Quebec Company as it expanded its colonial business to all of French North America). By 1730, the entirety of French America (which was both Louisiana and New France) would have 610,000 people, about the same as English America's 600,000, but French America's population would explode in the following decades at a rate even greater than that of New England's.

In terms of European policy, France was somewhat interested in the rising forces of Russia and Denmark-Norway. France remembered how Sweden had fought them in the War of Devolution and even now was leaning somewhat towards England after their defeat in the GNW, which lead Louis's advisors to arrange a marriage between him and Princess Charlotte Amalie of Denmark-Norway in 1725, creating an alliance between the 2 nations. While some advisors opposed this due to this possibly tying France up in a system of alliance, others pointed out that France had now ensured itself a moderately strong ally who could help it keep an eye on German affairs (especially since Denmark's territories of Schleswig-Holstein, Bergen, and former Swedish Pomerania meant that Denmark technically had representation in the Imperial Diet).

France had relatively prospered in the decade and a half following the War of Spanish Succession, but the war to come would put them to the test...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Basically the Dutch annexed the OTL Venezuelan regions of the Eastern Region and the Guayana Region. As of 1720, not too many people inhabiting these areas, only about 50,000 going by some estimates I did.

Last edited:
. His rule saw France grow at a steady pace economically, and the only major event was the War of the Quadruple Alliance, which saw France work with Spain, Britain, and Austria to prevent a Spanish takeover of southern Italy.

Working with Spain against Spain?
In terms of European policy, France was somewhat interesting in the rising forces of Russia and Denmark-Norway.
Interesting or interested?

and very interesting deviations, I wonder how this will impact London...

[Just began to read the timeline. Of course I like it (I always like when Denmark does better)

A few thoughts

Gotland was lost to Sweden in 1645 together with Jämtland, while Denmark never really seemed to have much interest in regaining, I could it being a useful naval base for Denmark and a way to better surround Sweden.

I’m also curious I couldn’t see precisely why Hanover got Bremen-Verden in TTL?

In general this Sweden have been very significant weaken, I have a hard time seeing this Sweden being active power again. I also think that the sack of Stockholm in general will serve as a wake up call to avoid the antics of Sweden in OTL after the Great Northern War. I think Sweden will likely focus more on internal development and maybe even colonial trade and adventures than conflicts in Europe. While Gothenburg is a smaller city then Stockholm it have (likely) also been less hard hit and it can avoid the Danish sound dues, so if Sweden focus on colonial trade, I could see greater investment in Gothenburg, in fact after the sack of Stockholm I could even see it serve as a capital for a short period until Stockholm have been rebuild.

Denmark have ended up in a much stronger position in the Baltic and North Germany, together with the alliance with Russia and the closer relationship with France, this mean that the Danes have to massive invest in the navy, simply because they risk ending up on the opposite side of a conflict with UK. On the other hand UK have a very big interest in a closer relationship with Denmark, so they will likely seek marriage alliances,

Denmark will also likely see itself as a great power again, which it means it will do great power things, this likely mean that Denmark will send expeditions against the Barbary states and try to set up new colonies. There’s not a lot of prime real estate left in America, so the question is whether they can buy some from another power.

[Just began to read the timeline. Of course I like it (I always like when Denmark does better)

A few thoughts

Gotland was lost to Sweden in 1645 together with Jämtland, while Denmark never really seemed to have much interest in regaining, I could it being a useful naval base for Denmark and a way to better surround Sweden.

I’m also curious I couldn’t see precisely why Hanover got Bremen-Verden in TTL?

In general this Sweden have been very significant weaken, I have a hard time seeing this Sweden being active power again. I also think that the sack of Stockholm in general will serve as a wake up call to avoid the antics of Sweden in OTL after the Great Northern War. I think Sweden will likely focus more on internal development and maybe even colonial trade and adventures than conflicts in Europe. While Gothenburg is a smaller city then Stockholm it have (likely) also been less hard hit and it can avoid the Danish sound dues, so if Sweden focus on colonial trade, I could see greater investment in Gothenburg, in fact after the sack of Stockholm I could even see it serve as a capital for a short period until Stockholm have been rebuild.

Denmark have ended up in a much stronger position in the Baltic and North Germany, together with the alliance with Russia and the closer relationship with France, this mean that the Danes have to massive invest in the navy, simply because they risk ending up on the opposite side of a conflict with UK. On the other hand UK have a very big interest in a closer relationship with Denmark, so they will likely seek marriage alliances,

Denmark will also likely see itself as a great power again, which it means it will do great power things, this likely mean that Denmark will send expeditions against the Barbary states and try to set up new colonies. There’s not a lot of prime real estate left in America, so the question is whether they can buy some from another power.
Hanover never joined the GNW, which is why Denmark got it.

Okay, it’s just on the new map it’s part of Hanover.
Oh that's because it just looks a lot like it has it since I didn't want the map to not include the small amount of coast that Hanover has. That is my mistake.

Also, Denmark is definitely gonna be one of the world's great powers by the dawn of the 20th Century.

Northern Europe from 1715 to 1730
Britain's woes as Denmark grows
To say that Denmark-Norway walked away from the table in Copenhagen with a large haul would be a bit of an understatement. They were now the dominant power in the Baltic, had an alliance with Russia (which would be further secured, and had regained lands lost decades prior.

After the war ended, Denmark decided to keep a large navy to ensure that Sweden would not take their newly-won lands back, but also focused a large amount of money on making the new regions of the Kingdom of Denmark-Norway prosper. Scania in particular was given a large portion of funds to repair the damage Sweden had done, along with a large garrison to defend it (in order to ensure that it would stay a loyal Danish region. The annexed region of Schleswig-Holstein was brought to heel after 2-3 years of minor unrest, but it eventually began to heal from the GNW which led to the people gradually warming up to the Danish (especially in the northern Schleswig region),.

With the money gained from the lands they had won, the Danish began to diversify their economy, improving their agricultural practices and gradually building the beginnings of Denmark's industry (mostly in Copenhagen, which increased in population to 83,000 by 1730 due to various factors) [1].

With the 15 years of peace and relative prosperity (and even some Swedish emigrating to the Danish German territories to escape their damaged homeland), the enlarged Danish-Norwegian Empire had a population of about 2.5 million people in 1730. It's main 2 rivals in the north were Prussia (who they kept an eye on to prevent any potential threat from) and the British Empire.

When the Great Northern War had ended, the British Empire had just come out of the War of Spanish Succession, leading to many calls in Parliament to lower the military budget. However, the rising power of Denmark (who was a danger to the resource-rich ally of Sweden) and the victorious power of France (who showed no intention of halting their plans of expansion) led to Britain only lowering the budget by a marginal bit. To lower the chance of riots and such in the English territories, the Parliament voted to increase taxes in the Scottish and Irish regions to pay for a large portion of the military budget.

Also, Britain signed a treaty of alliance with Sweden in 1723, but promised to give them a reasonable sum of money to help rebuild their army for the next war, requiring even more taxes on the Scottish and Irish territories, further agitating the Scottish and Irish peoples.

These taxes did help alleviate England's financial concerns in the short run and create a potentially-valuable alliance with Sweden, but would have huge negative ramifications in the future...

The North Remembers
The GNW had not gone well for the Swedish, to say the least. It had lost a sizable chunk of people and land, its capital was sacked and set ablaze, and their economy was in the gutters. Most of the money awarded in the treaty was allocated to the reconstruction of Stockholm, which took until 1717 to rebuild completely. While the empress wanted a rebuilding period and the abandonment of the pro-military stance of Sweden, the majority of army generals (along with multiple nobles) desired revenge.

While the status of Charles XII as prisoner initially kept the Swedish from building up their army in fear of the Russians executing him (it wasn't so much their loyalty for him as it was the political ramifications of causing a noble's death), Charles's death in 1720 in a Russian prison allowed them to start rebuilding their army again, though this was slowed down at first due to the need to fix the cities that the Russians had either bombarded with ships or set ablaze.

But even with the costs of fixing the nation slowing the military effort down, the army was gradually retrained and regrown (albeit without the skill that had almost won the GNW for Sweden) and the navy somewhat rebuilt. New generals were installed in the army ranks (to be fair, it was due in large part to the older officers either dying in the GNW or being too old to lead armies from the front line).

When they signed an alliance with England in 1723, this only served to further fuel the flames of vengeance in the Swedish people, including the nobles. This led to the Hats Party gaining a lot of influence in politics, which led to Queen Ulrika Eleonora [2] eventually supporting the remilitarization of Sweden. The Hats hoped that the next conflict could see them take back what Russia and Denmark had forced them to give and restore their place as the kings of the north.

Their hopes of a grand war would come true in 1730, but they had to win the war if they wanted to retake their throne...

Those Swedes sure like getting their ass kicked and it seems that the Brits are heading for a revolt in their territory.. Good chapter as always and keep up the good work.

When King Louis XIV died in 1715, his son inherited arguably the strongest nation in Europe. Of course, since Louis XV was only 5 years old ...
Louis XV was Louis XIV great-grandson, since both his son Louis, the Grand Dauphin and his grandson, Louis, Duke of Burgundy had predeceased him as had his eldest great-grandson, Louis, Duke of Brittany (1704-1705) and his second eldest great-grandson, Louis, Duke of Brittany (1707-1712), with Louis, Duke of Anjou (XV), being his youngest great grandson.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for either correcting my work or giving me complements. I will give out yet another minor bit of spoilers for the 20th Century.

When the Great War begins (won't say exact time but early in the 20th century), most of the world's nations will have larger populations than OTL for a number of reasons which I won't spoil. Some populations will be slightly larger, others much larger.

That being said, a few nations will have smaller populations than OTL for...reasons. They include:
1. Indonesia. No, a major catastrophe doesn't happen there in the 19th century, it is just a side effect of the Dutch not taking over. Java will still have a lot of people.
2. The Russian Empire, albeit due mainly to territorial differences from OTL. It will still be Europe's most populous nation by the dawn of the Great War.
3. England. Due to events in the 18th and 19th centuries, it will have less people while Scotland and Ireland have more people compared to OTL. Still a great power and still the most populated power on the British Isles, with more people than the other 2 combined.

Also, the Great War is going to be ugly. Just like in Antony444's timeline, it will make OTL WW1 look like a firecracker party.

Last note, one of the Asian colonies is going to have a sizable European minority as part of its population. Whoever can guess the country that is the colonizer gets a cookie, whoever guesses the poor colony who suffers will get another cookie!

Last edited:
Crisis in Prussia
As of 1730, Europe was on the one hand prospering from 15 years of no significant conflict, and on the other hand preparing for the next war to strike Europe. Britain feared the French-Danish alliance, Sweden wanted revenge, and the German states continued to squabble and compete for power. All that was needed to make the tensions explode was a royal conflict. And that conflict would be started in Prussia.

Frederick William, also fearing the expanding Danish (not to mention the Saxon-Polish alliance to the south and east) was insistent on a marriage alliance with Mecklenburg-Schwerin to gain an ally in any future war against Denmark. However, his eldest son, Frederick II, did not want to marry princess Elisabeth of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, due in large part to the fact that he was homosexual, even having a friend/lover named Hans Herman von Katte. When he was 18, Frederick plotted to flee to England with Katte and other junior army officers. While the royal retinue was near Mannheim in the Electorate of the Palatinate, Robert Keith, Peter Keith's brother, had an attack of conscience when the conspirators were preparing to escape and begged Frederick William for forgiveness on 5 August 1730. Frederick and Katte were subsequently arrested and imprisoned in Küstrin. Because they were army officers who had tried to flee Prussia for Great Britain, Frederick William leveled an accusation of treason against the pair.

Frederick William, who had never been on good terms with his son in the first place, was enraged enough that not only did he execute Katte right in front of Frederick, he decided to execute his own son for treason in order to replace him with his brother, Augustus William, on November 7, a day after Katte's execution.

This proved to be a huge mistake on Frederick's part, as this enraged the majority of German states (since killing a perfect good heir was the political equivalent of heresy). This was all that was needed to start the war everyone was anticipating. The entire Holy Roman Empire (excluding Bavaria and Saxony) declared war on the Kingdom of Prussia on November 14, along with Britain (who asides from an alliance with Hanover held a grudge against Frederick for not marrying any of his children to English nobles), the Dutch Republic (though the Dutch only did it because of the alliance with Britain), Portugal (same reason as the Dutch), Sweden (due to their alliance with Britain, not to mention the chance to get Prussian Pomerania), and Savoy (who only did it to stay on the HRE's good side to protect from France).

But Frederick William was not alone. He approached the Bavarians and French to ask for an alliance, offering to help the Wittelsbach family overthrow the Habsburg dynasty. The Saxons also agreed to help, in exchange for getting Austrian Silesia and the Polish getting East Prussia once the war was over. Frederick William was okay with the former, but was incredibly reluctant on the latter, only agreeing out of necessity (he reasoned that since the 1709-11 famine had badly depopulated it, it was an acceptable sacrifice in return for Polish support). Spain joined as a result of being allied with France, but it was more due to the desire to retake Southern Italy. The Danish also joined the war, de jure due to the French alliance but de facto due to wanting to stop the Swedish from expanding (again). This in turn led to the Russians declaring war due to the marriage alliance with Denmark-Norway (but also the need to put Sweden in its place again), which in turn led to Venice joining the war due to their alliance.

By November 20th, all these powers had declared war on the enemies of Prussia, and the 10 Years War (aka War of Prussian Succession), which would forever change Europe with its ramifications, had begun...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In short, on one side is Britain, all German states other than Bavaria and Saxony, the Dutch, Portugal, Sweden, and Savoy.
The other side is France, Prussia, Spain, Denmark-Norway, Russia, Venice, Saxony, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Hope you liked the chapter, and does anyone have a guess to my previous question?

Last edited:
Some thoughts with Russian Finland, we will see the Swedish Finnish nobility joining the Baltic Germans as part of the Russian elite, the Russians will also likely establish serfdom in Finland. The result of this is that Finnish Swedish speakers will likely be loyal to the Czar, while the Finnish speakers are more likely to rebel to try to rejoin Sweden.

Indonesia? Or India if the British truly fail. And this is a rather big mess, if I was Russia I’d look to curtail sweden, but also to make the PLC bleed. That would be a too big risk to have on your doorstep otherwise

ohhh another war! I'm looking foward for the consequences of such massive war will bring to the balance of power (I also feel that even if Prussia makes out from this victorious they will have hurt themselves in the long run.)

@Jürgen Interesting and a tad ironic. Little spoiler related to that, the Finland region will be quite a bit more Russified than IOTL, and Finland probably won’t get independence.

@dunHozzie it is neither of those 2 Asian colonies. However, I did sort of get the idea from Antony444’s timeline above, where the Dutch and others of European descent make up 22% of Indonesia’s population (it was higher, but the Great War in that timeline killed a lot of them). But no it isn’t not Indonesia, so feel free to guess again.

And yes Russia will curtail Sweden while making the PLC bleed.

@Kurd Gossemer oh yeah, no matter what Prussia is going to be heavily damaged by this war, even if it wins. And the balance of power will definitely be changed.

10 Years War: Part 1
10 Years War: Part 1 (1730-1731)

As soon as its armies were mobilized, France launched the first offensive of the war by attacking the Austrian Netherlands (which the generals had agreed would be the chief priority in any war with Austria) with 90,000 men on December 10th, 1730. The divisions within the Grand Alliance's members along with France's faster mobilization allowed them to tear through Austrian and Dutch defenses all across the border, then continue to gradually advance. On December 31, they ended the year by facing 40,000 Alliance soldiers at Steenkirk, compared to 55,000 of their own. The battle was a French victory, which allowed them to begin the siege of Brussels in January 1731.

The war was going similarly well in western Germany, as the French managed to easily overwhelm the minor German duchies and kingdoms (due to Austria being too distracted in the East), and by the end of March 1731, the French were already dangerously close to the Rhine river. The only 3 armies capable of holding their own were the British (who had the tendency to use Scottish and especially Irish soldiers as cannon fodder), Hanover, and the Dutch.

In the south, a force of 40,000 French and 30,000 Spanish attacked Savoy on April 6th of 1731, managing to win a decisive victory at the Battle of Assietta Hill that let them quickly advance through the Piedmontese lands. By the month's end, over half the state was under French control and the city of Turin was under siege. The Spanish also sent a force of 61,000 men to take Sicily on June 15th, 1731, squeezing out a victory against the Habsburg defenders on the island by May 25th despite heavy losses. The French victories encouraged Genoa to declare war on the Grand Alliance on May 1st, only to immediately be forced to fight against Tuscany, who had declared war on April 24th due to Austrian pressure. The Genoans did manage to easily defeat the Tuscan forces on the battlefield (not that their forces were uniquely good, just that Tuscany's army was extremely small and incompetent), and began preparations to attack Tuscany by sea for 1732. They also liberated the Republic of Lucca, which had been annexed by Tuscany out of arrogance.

Their fellow Italian Republic, Venice, launched a force of 20,000 men in March 1731 that managed to easily overrun the Austrian Duchies of Milan, Mantua, and Parma over the course of 2 months (lack of initiative among the Venetian officers slowed it down more than Austrian resistance). They were initially planning to find a way around Modena (since it was neutral), but France feared that Duke Rinaldo would side with the Austrians just like he had done in the War of Spanish Succession, so a joint Franco-Genoan-Venetian force invaded Modena on June 4th of 1731, allowing them to attack Northern Tuscany. After completely destroying the remnants of the Tuscan army at Florence on June 20th, the 3 armies managed to conquer the rest of Tuscany by the end of July, all but ending the fight in northern Italy (Austrian Naples was still resisting Spain).

In the east, the Austrians (who had basically left their western allies to fend for themselves for the time being) had to deal with the Bavarians and Venetians to the West, Saxons and Prussians to the North, and Polish to the East. Fortunately for them, the Bavarians were busy preparing their forces and the Venetians were focusing most of their forces in Italy at the moment, which gave the Austrians time to focus on their enemies to the north. This allowed them to defeat a Prussian offensive in January 1731 near Glogau, and a Polish offensive in March that attempted to take Breslau. By the time the Bavarians were ready to fight in May, an Austrian force had launched an offensive into eastern Bavaria. Fortunately, the Austrians were stopped near Regensburg by a Bavarian force of 30,000 men near the end of May, by which point the other nations facing Austria to the north were far more ready to fight.

The Austrian possessions in Northern Italy were not faring much better, as some 20,000 Venetian soldiers attacked eastward against Austrian forces in Carniola and northern Croatia while 8,000 others launched an attack on Tyrol that was partially to distract Austrian forces from blocking the Venetian offensive in the south and partially to help out Bavaria, who managed to overrun the Archbishopric of Salzburg with little trouble but was stopped by 50,000 Austrians who knew damn well that the Bavarians desired to take Vienna itself.

The Venetian forces in the east made significant headway, liberating most of Carniola and even half of Dalmatia, although the forces in Tyrol didn't get far due to Austrian resistance and very unpleasant mountain terrain. They began to plan a joint offensive with Bavaria in the west and Poland in the east for 1732, which would hopefully give them enough time to create more armies to fight the Austrians.

In the North, the Danish had to deal with the Hanoverians to the West (where they lost their Bremen territory and failed to amphibiously attack Friesland but managed to take Hamburg), Mecklenburg-Schwerin and minor German states to the east (though they were taken care of in about a month), and Sweden to the North. Russia was their ally, but it would take them a while to mobilize enough forces to fight in the north considering they were also preparing a large force to fight in Central Europe. Sweden launched the first offensive of the Scandanavian front by attacking the Jamtland on February 6. Just like they'd expected, the Norwegian force their was small, thinly spread, and ill-prepared for a ferocious Swedish attack, which resulted in Sweden taking back the entire region in just 2 weeks then chasing the Norwegians towards the coast.

The Swedish aimed to take out Norway and then Denmark before Russia could focus its large army on them. They wanted to retake Finland and annex Norway along with Scania, with Pomerania being in the cards as well.

However, a northern victory meant little in the long run, as an attack on Gothenburg in the same month was easily beaten back (the Danish knew that Sweden would want it back eventually, they weren't idiots), and the Danish scored offensive victories at Kalmar, Boras, and even Jonkoping (albeit the last one came at heavy cost and forced them to halt their offensive for the rest of 1731). The Danish victories were due partially to preparation for any future war with the Swedes, but also the population growth of Denmark in the past 15 years allowed them to field more soldiers than the Swedes, even with both of them having to fight on multiple fronts.

Even worse for the Swedish, the Russians prepared far faster than their enemies (and even their allies) had predicted, and launched an offensive on April 5th, 1731, with 16,000 men that attacked a garrison of just 4,000 Swedes in Vassa, quickly defeating the Swedish garrison and capturing the city (a superior navy helped them take it). A month later, 30,000 Russians launched a large attack on the fortress of Oulu, although the fortifications resulted in a month-long seige that inflicted heavy losses. That being said, the fall of Oulu cut off the final Swedish garrison that was in Kokkola, which surrendered on June 17th when food stocks ran out. This meant that the only Finnish territory still in Swedish hands was the Finnish Lappland.

On the bright side, both the Russians and Danish had to halt their offensives into Swedish territory due to other fronts (Russia in central Europe and Denmark in northern Germany) and overstretched supply lines, giving Sweden at least until 1732 to recover and recruit more men. Their pool of manpower wasn't that big (1.7 million Swedes vs 2.5 million Danish-Norwegians and 18 million Russians), but they had a decent military command with good officers and they hoped that they could hold their ground and then push back against both of their enemies, repeating the success of Gustavus Adolphus during the 30 Years War.

As 1731 came to an end, war continued to ravage Europe, but the next few years of the war would be what would truly change Europe forever. It simply came down to who won this conflict...