Changing The Channel - The 1976 Campaign Trail

Background
BACKGROUND

THE REPUBLICANS

The GOP has controlled the White House since 1968, but its welcome is becoming worn out, especially in the wake of Watergate. No matter who is nominated, they’re going to have a hell of a time retaining the executive branch.

Gerald Ford: the incumbent President. His policies have left him as a deeply unpopular incumbent, notably his pardon of Richard Nixon. In addition, his centrist policies have deeply enraged conservatives within the GOP, best embodied by the anger over Nelson Rockefeller’s appointment as Vice President. Holding the Oval Office gives him a major advantage, but the primaries will definitely not come easy for him.

Ronald Reagan: former Governor of California. The undisputed leader of the revived conservative movement, he’s led a crusade against government spending and urban crime in his state, and has spoken out for unyielding foreign policy. Tapping into the aforementioned conservative anger, his plan is to bring conservatism back to the White House, but doing so requires toppling an incumbent President in the primaries, a feat not accomplished in nearly a century.

THE DEMOCRATS

The Democratic Party is back, and it’s on the rise. 1974 was very promising, with supermajorities becoming a reality as they rail against the corruption of Nixon and Ford’s blind-eye approach to such. However, with so many clamoring for the White House, it’s anyone’s guess who will make it.

Jimmy Carter: former Governor of Georgia. A complete unknown on the national stage, Carter is an example of the “New South” of moderate pro-civil rights leaders in the South. However, despite his virtually nonexistent profile, he may have a plan to win...

Fred Harris: an Oklahoma Senator, Harris is a liberal from a decidedly illiberal state. Despite a near miss as triple H’s running mate in 1968, losing out to Ed Muskie, he’s still a relatively low-profile figure nationally.

Mo Udall: one of the twists of a large primary field, Arizona Representative Morris “Mo” Udall is an independently-minded left-leaning Arizonan, one renowned for his charisma and sense of humor. While relatively low-profile before, Udall may become more notable, but whether any sort of win is likely is another story.

Henry “Scoop” Jackson: Washington Senator, foreign policy hawk, and all-around Cold War Democratic poster child. One of the frontrunners of this campaign, and a national figure due to his foreign policy critiques. However, it’s unclear if Jackson can convert this into a winning campaign, as one of the most conservative Democrats running.

Lloyd Bentsen: Texas Senator. A moderate who unseated Ralph Yarborough in the primary, he’s a resurgent figure after a tenure in Congress as a young man in the 1950s. He’s scored convincing wins in Texas, keeping a waning Democratic tradition in the Lone Star State alive. While young and relatively inexperienced, he at least knows he’s no Jack Kennedy.

Terry Sanford: former North Carolina Governor, Sanford hopes to show the face of the “New South” as well, by demonstrating his progressive civil rights stances and liberal stances elsewhere. However, his return after nearly a decade leaves him with a decidedly low profile.

Sargent Shriver: Kennedy associate, ambassador, and all-around liberal. However, Sarge Shriver has one major problem, and it comes in the form of George McGovern. Acting as a replacement running mate following Tom Eagleton’s removal, Shriver will struggle to shake the ball and chain that is McGovern’s disastrous 1972 defeat.

Milton Shapp: Governor of Pennsylvania, and severely limited quantity with a near-zero chance of winning the primaries.

Birch Bayh: an avowed liberal Senator from Indiana, Bayh is… honestly not much to talk about.

George Wallace: the once and future Alabama Governor, and future resident of Satan’s penthouse. Wallace is utterly infamous for his anti-civil rights stances, even physically standing in a schoolhouse door to prevent integration. However, after his 1972 campaign, he can’t pull that feat again. His energy and fighting spirit isn’t gone, but it’s limited by his wheelchair and his deteriorating health.

Jerry Brown: a late addition to the race, and Ronald Reagan’s successor in Sacramento. Brown is a heavy fiscal conservative, otherwise liberal, and gubernatorial neophyte. He can be described as both “rather conservative” and “rather liberal” relative to the other candidates, which doesn’t harm his popularity but does make it mildly difficult to sort out where he stands at times.

Frank Church: Idaho Senator, and a foreign policy wonk only rivaled by Scoop Jackson. One of the first Anti-Vietnam Senators, Church led a high-profile committee investigating abuses by the FBI and CIA. He is a known quantity, but he needs to expand out of his intelligence bubble to succeed.

Robert Byrd: a Senator from West Virginia, Byrd is undoubtedly not going far at all, as there’s not much to discuss here.

In this backdrop, we see one of the largest political curveballs of the post-war US, although it seemed absurd at the time: enter Charles Mathias. “Mac” was a complete rarity, a liberal Republican senator from Maryland, who, despite being a Republican in deep-blue Maryland, was even re-elected in the Democratic wave of 1974. He was a noted enemy of the conservatives and their prophet, Ronald Reagan, and fought with them in Congress frequently, even earning the ire of Richard Nixon. However, after polls showed Reagan gaining on the president, Mac knew he couldn’t stomach that, and launched a longshot to top all longshots.

Mathias was immediately lambasted by the press. His campaign was referred to as "a stroll for the presidency" by columnist George Will. He was running left of the President against a growing conservative movement, why would he ever win? Why was he even doing this? Notably, Governor Reagan even labeled him as “Senator Don Quixote” in a speech, drawing a burst of laughter from the crowd. Mathias was looking to just be a dissident voice that was overshadowed by the star power of Reagan and the executive power of Ford. However, Mac had a plan.

Mathias knew that early states would be the most vital in the new system, as two other candidates, Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter, had picked up on. Due to Reagan’s state of choice being New Hampshire, Mac made the decision to stick to Iowa. In addition, another major detail about the nature of Reagan’s rise hit Mac - moderates who disliked Ford were split: they either took him over Reagan’s conservatism, or they swallowed an ideological pill to not get Ford back. Thus, the pathway for the Mathias campaign emerged.

“I’m Mac Mathias, and you probably have only a vague idea of who I am, if any at all. I’m a Senator from Maryland, a proud fighter against corruption and for everyday Americans, and now, a candidate for the Republican presidential nomination. These past administrations have been nothing but corrupt, and I’ve been one of the first in this party to admit that. I supported Nixon's impeachment, taking a stand nearly none in my party had the backbone to do, including the President, who pardoned a man who deserved no such dignity. However, that’s not all I have to say. I need to say, Reaganite conservatism isn’t the response to corruption and nonsense. Governor Reagan is not a continuation of the Nixon administration, sure. He’s not going to appoint Henry Kissinger, okay. He’s not going to pardon crooks, fine. But his burn-the-house-down approach is not the answer to bad government either. We can’t abandon our values as a nation, and by following Reagan’s path we abandon voters of all stripes, those who stand to be hurt the most from slashed welfare, in favor of special interests. I’m here to bring a real option against the Nixon/Ford eight-year run that doesn’t involve hurting so many Americans. That’s why I’m running for president, it’s to change the channel on the ridiculous show playing in Washington.”

This sort of stump speech was given by Mac all across the state, from counter-tops in Des Moines diners to barns in small towns no politician would visit in their right mind to even a rousing speech given from off of a literal stump in Sioux City. If there was over two hundred people in any part of Iowa, you were nearly guaranteed to find “the Senator from La Mancha” there at some point, firing up the locals in some way, whether it was professing for civil rights (“America is a nation for all the people, and by fighting against civil rights and their policies in the name of ‘state’s rights,’ you fight the very soul of this country!”), jabbing at Ford, often to ripples of laughter (“What did New York even do to him to deserve that? Did he get food poisoning from a bad pizza or something?”), or even calling back to Reagan’s acting career (“Don’t you have somewhere to be instead of New Hampshire, Mr. Governor? Bonzo needs to be put to bed!”). Nationally, his profile was still tiny. In Iowa, however, Mac Mathias and his passionate, humor-filled speeches began to win Iowans over, preparing them to “Change The Channel,” as his campaign slogan became from that speech. By January, Ford and Reagan still led in Iowa, but Mathias was undoubtedly gaining. As caucus day came, a nasty surprise was in for one of the camps:

IOWA CAUCUS - 1/19

REPUBLICAN

Gerald Ford: 34.6%
Charles Mathias: 34.1%
Ronald Reagan: 32.3%

DEMOCRATIC

Uncommitted: 37.2%
Jimmy Carter: 27.6%
Birch Bayh: 13.2%
Fred Harris: 9.9%
Mo Udall: 6.0%
Sargent Shriver: 3.3%
Scoop Jackson: 1.1%

Suddenly, the nation cared about this barnstorming Marylander who came in second, and more importantly, Reagan and Ford both cared a hell of a lot more. Ford had only won by a razor's edge, and Reagan had been nudged to third. Reagan ramped up his campaign in New Hampshire, just to keep lost ground after Mathias’ post-Iowa bounce. Meanwhile, Ford pushed onwards to Massachusetts, to hold down enough moderates to eke out a victory. The barnstorming dragged on, and as February rolled around, margins had continued to narrow, showing New Hampshire as a Ford-Reagan contest, and Massachusetts as a Ford-Mathias contest.

NEW HAMPSHIRE PRIMARY - 2/24

REPUBLICAN

Ronald Reagan: 41.2%
Gerald Ford: 40.7%
Charles Mathias: 18.1%

DEMOCRATIC

Jimmy Carter: 28.4%
Mo Udall: 22.7%
Birch Bayh: 15.2%
Fred Harris: 10.8%
Sargent Shriver: 8.2%
Scoop Jackson: 2.2%
George Wallace: 1.3%

MASSACHUSETTS PRIMARY - 3/2

REPUBLICAN

Charles Mathias: 40.1%
Gerald Ford: 39.6%
Ronald Reagan: 26.3%

DEMOCRATIC

Scoop Jackson: 22.3%
Mo Udall: 17.7%
George Wallace: 16.7%
Jimmy Carter: 13.9%
Fred Harris: 7.6%
Sargent Shriver: 7.2%
Birch Bayh: 4.8%
Other: 9.8%

VERMONT PRIMARY - 3/2

REPUBLICAN

Charles Mathias: 43.3%
Gerald Ford: 42.5%
Ronald Reagan: 14.2%

DEMOCRATIC

Jimmy Carter: 45.8%
Sargent Shriver: 30.5%
Fred Harris: 14.2%
Other: 9.4%

And thus, 1976 was shaping up to be a wild ride of a year, electorally. The Republicans had went to become anybody’s game, while the Democrats were surprisingly led by Jimmy Carter. Truly, the nation was in for a shock to the system during a decade that had been nothing but shock after shock.

Tune in next time for the result of the primary season!

Last edited:
Primaries, Continued
PRIMARIES, CONTINUED

The next battle for both sides of the aisle was Florida. For the Democrats, it was almost a fight for the soul of the south - on one hand, Jimmy Carter was offering the fresh, moderate face of the New South, the type of new southerner who could win states like New Hampshire - but on the other, George Wallace had retained his populist Old South ways, and was making inroads, as polling suggested. A battle of southern titans for the Democrats, really. As for the Republicans, it was a close race, a three-way contest in which Reagan maintained a small lead, as Ford and Mathias shared moderates.

FLORIDA PRIMARY - 3/9

REPUBLICAN

Ronald Reagan: 38.4%
Gerald Ford: 34.3%
Charles Mathias: 27.3%

DEMOCRATIC

Jimmy Carter: 34.3%
George Wallace: 30.6%
Scoop Jackson: 23.9%

Other: 11.2%

After this narrow defeat, Gerald Ford only asked one thing of his Chief of Staff: “Dick, get me Senator Mathias. We need to have a meeting.”

GF: Hello, Senator. You been good?

CM: Yes, yes, it’s been alright. Enough of the pleasantries, mind if I ask why this meeting is occurring? Is it about business on Capitol Hill or is it about the election?

GF: It’s electoral. Look, Mac, this is going to sound audacious. I need you to drop from the race.

CM: …are you kidding me? Why would I do that?

GF: I’ve had my team polling Florida. If you weren’t there, Reagan wouldn’t have won. Same for New Hampshire. Without either of them, his campaign would be dead in the water. I know neither of us want more of those situations, especially you. Hell, I’ll give you a cabinet post for it, if only to stop Reagan.

CM: Yes, I have a certain distaste for Reagan’s brand of conservatism. But I just feel I need to make this clear: I’m not in this race just to stop Ronald Reagan. I feel all of the American people need a voice in Washington, and that voice doesn’t come from either of the contenders in this race to the bottom. I’m not here because of him, I’m here because of both of you.

GF: Look, if Reagan wins with everything going on, it’ll be a disaster. I know how you feel, but do you want Secretary of State Goldwater?

CM: I want Goldwater doing it about as much as I want Kissinger doing it.

GF: ...good talking to you, Mac.

(Mathias leaves)

GF: I’m going to whip his ass, Dick.

That meeting was the last conversation between Ford and Mathias for the whole campaign, as neither side was willing to leave their trench to let the other win. However, it did get Mathias’ campaign manager, a fellow anti-Nixon Marylander, former Rep. Lawrence Hogan, thinking. Maybe, if Mac truly wanted to be the nominee, Reagan wasn’t his greatest enemy. The Gipper’s people were loyal to him to their deathbeds. Instead, the President might be the biggest issue, so long as he carried a portion of the moderate voters. Within a day, Hogan would bring this plan to the Senator, who, still angered by Ford’s “request,” would immediately approve, and would begin spending on a steady stream of anti-Ford advertisements in the next few primary states.

Stumble

Pans over New York City

“When one of the greatest cities in this nation faces crisis, leaders act quickly. Instead, New York City received no aid. President Ford stumbled.”

Clip of Ford falling on stairs

Video of Kissinger’s confirmation hearing

“When this nation was facing the end of one of the most costly wars in its history, leaders involve a steady hand. Instead, Henry Kissinger, a controversial figure whose ceasefire failed, was made Secretary of State. President Ford stumbled.”

Video of Nixon resigning

“When a political crisis the likes of which this nation has never seen occurred, with crime at the highest levels, leaders bring justice. Instead, the crook was pardoned. President Ford stumbled.”

Shot of Mathias

“Senator Charles Mathias has consistently called for a real end to Vietnam, justice brought against Nixon, and fair treatment for all Americans - including New Yorkers. If you want honesty, integrity, and an end to the drama show in Washington, vote for Mac - he won’t stumble his way through the Presidency.”

Dick Cheney: "Where does he get off doing this? We should start right away, I know a couple of-"

Gerald Ford: "Dick, as much as he frustrates me, we can't go to his level. Remember, I'm the President of the United States. The best course of action, at least to me, is to give off the impression of a presidential figure who doesn't bother with petty primary conflicts. Don't call Roger or whoever. We'll be fine."

On the Democratic side, things were looking up for once. Carter managed to beat out George Wallace in the south, showing that a moderate could beat a repugnant icon of the Old South on his home turf. However, Wallace was also gaining in Illinois among unions and blue-collar voters, so the Carter campaign couldn’t go back down from DEF-CON 1, so to speak.

Attack ads like the now-infamous Stumble ad ran across the country, but were heavily targeted at Illinois and Wisconsin - two of the next primary states, and ones that Ford was leading in heavily. Wisconsin especially, as Ford, being a Michigander, would be utterly humiliated in this contest should he lose a state that close to home.

Reagan knew he needed to address the other elephants in the room eventually, but he didn't want to come out swinging, not with the lead he had. Instead, he wanted something else. Reagan wanted a debate. This debate would be organized with and paid for by both his campaign and Mathias'. In a presidential above-the-fray move, Ford declined to attend, and Reagan even set up an empty chair for him, just to make a point. As such, the main Republican primary debate of 1976 was held.

M: This question is for you, Senator Mathias. You introduced a measure to end all funding for South Vietnam. In the wake of the fall of Saigon, do you feel that this was appropriate?

CM: Absolutely. Vietnam was something we should not have been involved in in the first place, and my goal was to pull us out of the trap that Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all fell into. This was simply put, a gigantic mistake, and we could’ve avoided the whole issue. I-

RR: If I may for a minute, Senator, what you are proposing is simple appeasement. It may sound reasonable here, but then again, Neville Chamberlain sounded very reasonable in the face of fascist aggression. We face a similar predicament today, in which Soviet totalitarianism is allowed to expand. Giving communism what it wants does not work, because communism will not stop wanting. We cannot allow another part of this world to fall to the horrors that the Soviet Union brings with it, but yet, both Ford and Mathias were there to appease the Kremlin, not fight it in the name of liberty!

And with that, the Gipper had his masterstroke. Mathias was no great debater, but Reagan absolutely was. Not only did he tear apart Mathias on a highly controversial issue, he did one more vital thing: he tied him to Ford. In one line, Mathias was no longer the plucky outsider ready to bring honesty, one that was palatable to anti-Ford moderates. He was now someone who supported one of Ford’s largest mistakes, in Republican eyes. With Reagan’s loyal following galvanized, anti-Ford moderates no longer for Mathias, and Ford and Mathias splitting the remaining voters, polls would continue to turn. Of course, this did not count out Mathias - he was still formidable. However, Reagan had deeply injured the senator, and he would not rebound.

ILLINOIS PRIMARY - 3/16

REPUBLICAN

Ronald Reagan - 40.1%
Gerald Ford - 38.6%
Charles Mathias - 20.3%

DEMOCRATIC

Jimmy Carter - 48.1%
George Wallace - 28.2%
Sargent Shriver - 16.7%
Fred Harris - 7.7%

President Ford’s concerns were entirely justified by Illinois. Mathias had lost the ability to win a primary, but he would serve to drag Ford down, allowing Reagan’s loyal 40% base to win primary after primary. Meanwhile, Carter’s sharp rebuke of Wallace’s seeming momentum in the state had greatly damaged the firebrand, solidifying Carter’s chances of nomination. After this, it was off to a veritable storm of primaries for both sides, starting in North Carolina.

NORTH CAROLINA PRIMARY - 3/23

REPUBLICAN

Ronald Reagan - 52.4%
Gerald Ford - 38.7%
Charles Mathias - 8.9%

DEMOCRATIC

Jimmy Carter - 53.6%
George Wallace - 34.8%
Scoop Jackson - 4.3%

And thus, the frontrunners were established, and the last “notable” primary of the season had passed. Both candidates had won a majority in a primary, playing to their core constituents in the south. As the race continued, the dynamics would barely change. While Carter would face a challenge from California governor Jerry Brown, this would prove ineffective, winning only 3 states and hardly slowing Carter’s momentum. Meanwhile, the Republican race would not change, with Reagan’s core supporters maintaining his momentum, while Mathias slowly ate away at Ford. Ford would notably break out again in Pennsylvania and Michigan, maintaining his campaign, but it was not enough.

“I will not apologize for any of my efforts. I saw something wrong with the system, and I ran to change it. Did it work out as I might have wished? No, not at all. But it was not the quixotic stroll that my detractors made it out to be before, and it was not the intended monkey wrench they said after Mr. Reagan won nomination.”

60 Minutes Interview with Former Sen. Charles Mathias, 1998

CONVENTION SUMMARIES

DEMOCRATIC

To maintain a sense of unity, the party ensures that Jimmy Carter is nominated handily on the first ballot. This is namely to prevent a 1968-style mess. In addition to this, Barbara Jordan delivers the keynote address, which becomes a nationally acclaimed speech.

Jimmy Carter selects Minnesota Senator and Hubert Humphrey protege Walter “Fritz” Mondale as his vice presidential nominee, who is also selected handily.

REPUBLICAN

While chaotic, Reagan is the presumptive nominee going into the convention, and does not fail to disappoint all of Ford’s supporters. Coming just shy of the total required on the first ballot, defectors from Ford on the second ensure Reagan nomination. It later comes out that Senator Mathias refused to drop out and endorse Ford, who even offered a Vice Presidential slot to him, superseding original choice Bob Dole. Mathias is quoted as saying “My values are in a government that does not protect crooks, and no matter what you offer me, I will not relent, Mr. Ford. I will not relent in fighting for the people to trust their government, which you do not allow.”

Ronald Reagan selects Tennessee Senator Howard Baker as his vice presidential candidate, who is nominated with ease.

DECISION ‘76: CARTER/MONDALE (D) VS REAGAN/BAKER (R)

Tune in next time for the general election and results!

Last edited:
Cryptic Hint #1
I’ve been a bit busy and unable to truly finish the General election for a while, but for now, have a teaser...

Cryptic Hint #1

Chapter 12: Mac For America

“The most prominent point to understand about the Mathias Phenomenon is that, while he lost the primaries after taking a major blow in a debate with Ronald Reagan, his support base never truly died. He had a core of diehard supporters, mostly Rockefeller Republicans, that were determined to see him in office, and were especially energized post-convention by the Reagan-Baker ticket’s perceived radicalism. In addition to those, some disaffected Ford supporters and a range of independents were not quite ready to support Reagan despite finding Carter less palatable.

The internal Republican Party divisions don’t account for why Mathias became such an inspiring figure to some. Nobody truly accounted for his support from the sidelines. As it turns out, Mathias was rapidly becoming a favorite of a large number of Democratic liberals as Carter became the likely nominee. While they preferred to vote for their liberal candidates, an odd coalition of liberal intellectuals and college students were rooting on Mathias from across the aisle, as he was the main remaining liberal candidate in either party. Walter Mondale’s selection as Vice President aided in getting labor and some liberal support, but Carter was still a sticking point for many. Mathias, through his full-throated support for policies such as busing, ending Vietnam, and campaign finance reform, as well as his genuine, honest persona (a poll taken in 1976 had Mathias rated as the “Most Trustworthy” candidate in the GOP field with 53% of likely Republican voters naming him, for example) brought some Democratic liberals who viewed Carter as too moderate on board.

Both of these groups found an unlikely standard-bearer in Senator Mathias, and as such, on July 16th, a small group of his most passionate supporters formed Draft Mac for America. With such they began campaigning vigorously for a man who hadn’t even considered the idea of running as an independent seriously yet. By September, their seemingly-insignificant organization had managed to spread across the country, with activists in favor of the senator joining in from Los Angeles to Boston.”

From 1976: AN AUTOPSY, published in 1989