Challenge: Zhou Enlai joins the GMD

As it says how could Zhou have decided to join the Nationalists instead of the Communists, bonus points if you can get him to defect from the CPC in the 1920's. ;)

Has to be before 1926 if you want him to defect (that was the date of the Shanghai Massacre). Not sure I can contribute much else to this discussion.

Have him stay true to his Mandarin family history, rather than embrace Communism. From my limited understanding if Zhou En Lai converts to the GMD than you will probably get Zhu De as well.

They studied together at a German university from memory, so if we use that as a POD for the switch let them see first hand the negative impact from the Spartakus uprising or tour Poland and see why the Polish Army defeated the Red Army on the Vistula.

Last edited:
Have him stay true to his Mandarin history, rather than embrace Communism. Plus if you Zhou En Lai converts to the GMD than you will probably get Zhu De as well. They studied together at a German university from memory... have them see first hand the negative impact from the Spartakus uprising on the Polish Army defending against the Red Army on the Vistula.

Well this certainly was a slow burner :D Thanks for that, I'll have to do some reading up on that period.