Challenge: Make one of the American sports the most popular in the world

Riain

Banned
There has been crossover between F1 and Indianapolis several times throughout the 20th century, perhaps this could lead somewhere.

Lacrosse requires too much investment in equipment. It wont catch on in poorer countries. Same with American football, which also has the handicap of being a collision sport that favors heavily built linebackers and thus is unsuitable for some cultures.

Another problem with high impact collision sports is the fact that they're not going to be as popular among the working class- someone with a white collar job can play football on weekends and even if he breaks an ankle or an arm or something he can probably still come in to work, albeit with a bit of difficulty, but if a factory worker or a manual labourer or what have you does the same thing it's going to be a lot more problematic. IIRC this happened with rugby which is why the lower impact rugby league was more popular among the working classes.

There is a reason football is the worlds game. You only need a ball, four sticks, four players, and 8 metres by 5 of flattish ground to get a perfectly good competetive game going. If you play 3 and in, you can do it with the same space, 2 sticks, and just 3 players. It's difficult to think of another sport which could be so portable.

You don't even need that. I have played football games against my brother in my grandma's kitchen, using two chairs as goals and a bottle cork as ball -and those games were as intense and funny as any pro game. Ultimately, that's the reason football is so popular: its rules are retardedly simple (if you ignore offside, which is what everybody does in casual play) and the equipment needed is simple and easy to find. Even if you can't afford a ball, you can improvise one with rolled on papers or clothes. No american sport except *football has this, since they all require some sort of special equipment, and their rules are by definition more complicated than football's.

Your best chance is basketball, which is already very popular in Europe. In Spain, Italy, Greece and the former Yugoslavia, it is easily the 2nd most popular sport, without reaching the religion levels of football. Actually, it has risen a lot in popularity in past years at least in Spain, and I predict that it will continue to rise as the gap between american and international basketball shrinks. If only the spanish team had beaten the americans in Beijing...

With regards to Hockey: it is quite popular in northern Europe -I'd say it is more popular than football in Scandinavia, but it will never catch up in southern europe for obvious reasons. However, roller hockey -I.e. hockey played on regular skates- is very popular in Spain and Portugal, even if the need of special equipment will make it impossible to ever reach football.

Another problem with high impact collision sports is the fact that they're not going to be as popular among the working class- someone with a white collar job can play football on weekends and even if he breaks an ankle or an arm or something he can probably still come in to work, albeit with a bit of difficulty, but if a factory worker or a manual labourer or what have you does the same thing it's going to be a lot more problematic. IIRC this happened with rugby which is why the lower impact rugby league was more popular among the working classes.

That's why flag football was invented. American blue collar workers play it all the time. All you need is a ball, a field, and some handkerchiefs. It's also very popular in schools.

EDIT also, there's "Two hand touch", if you can't be bothered with flags.

Valdemar II

Banned
With regards to Hockey: it is quite popular in northern Europe -I'd say it is more popular than football in Scandinavia, but it will never catch up in southern europe for obvious reasons. However, roller hockey -I.e. hockey played on regular skates- is very popular in Spain and Portugal, even if the need of special equipment will make it impossible to ever reach football.

Eeeh just no, It's popular but nothing comes close to football, in Denmark I would say it's the third most popular sport, after football and handball.

that's also one problem with the spread of basketball, while a cheap and relative simple sport, it doesn't beat handball on those points, handball have all the benefits of basketball, but it doesn't favour abnormal height.

Interesting enough a version of baseball is popular in Denmark, but only as a kids game with no sports league.

Basket ball was invented by a soccer Coach to allow his Players to practice during the Winter, and is not that Unique,
I simply relate the action on the Soccer Field to what I know about Basket Ball and can easily understand Soccer.

From my understanding, Naismith was actually brought on as a physical education teacher at Springfield College, so as such would cover instruction in a wide range of sports. Also having done some digging around for a TL of mine, a Dr. Luther Gulick tasked Naismith with comming up with an indoor game to keep students in shape during the winter, with specific concern for the track athletes.

Anway, I would suggest another fact with the invention of basketball to be used for spreading the sport around: one reason it spread around was the fact that, at the time, Springfield College was a training school for the YMCA professionals, and soon caught on as a sport for that organization. Have it be extremely popular and spread to YMCAs overseas, and you just may have it.

For what it's worth: I pay attention to several news sites in France and Belgium (mostly to improve my French) and it's always interesting (and often infuriating...) how they pay attention to American society. I've noticed that there'll be no coverage at all of baseball (except when there are drug scandals, which I guess they can relate to scandals in other sports), no football until the Super Bowl... and NBA scores throughout the season. (Hockey? What's that? For starters, it's not played on ice over there.) I think basketball's well on its way to catching on internationally. My personal favorite is baseball, but I'm fine keeping that to ourselves. Never really seen the need for every part of the world to conform to every other.

The American drug scandels are only featured during what we refer to as 'cucumber time', to fill the pages basically.

American Football is indeed a virtual unknown in Belgium. I think we have a grand total of 4 teams in the entire country. The Dutch have more and there, it's even featured on TV from time to time, but then again, the Dutch have a broader view of sports news then us.

NBA scores? why would a significant number of belgians want to know those? we barely keep track of foreign football scores. We do occasionally keep track of American WOMEN's basketball mostly due to Ann Wauters of the San Antonio Silver Stars (and yes, I had to look that up).

Baseball is 'sick in the same bed' as American Football ... barely any domestic interest ... the Antwerpian baseball team has stands for about 100 spectators and they never have a full house.

We do have domestic ice hokey teams but not enough for a domestic league, so the belgian teams take part in the dutch leagues.

Now, the reverse of what you've noticed is also true.
I occasionally listen to "AFN the Eagle" and they almost never mention any news (never mind sports news) from their host country (be it The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany or Luxembourg)
NBA and American football scores, yes. The result of RSC Anderlecht (the closest team to the US compound) no.

This immediatly illutrates the kind of uphill battle US sports will face in this ATL. the US basically needs to break out of its ~isolationism waaaaay before 1917. Trade heavily with Europe. Even military cooperation might be needed.

Fiji - actually, I see in-season NBA scores on the "fil info" of Le Soir. Only American sports they cover between Super Bowls (but maybe they're only following certain teams). Can't say my observation, such as it is, is based on anything deeper than that.

Also, am I imagining it or is rugby far more important in France than in Belgium?

Also, am I imagining it or is rugby far more important in France than in Belgium?
Yes. Both codes of rugby are popular in France and are strongest in the south west in a corridor between Provence and Bordeaux. Rugby union has a professional competition - the Top 14 - with semi-professional competition below. Rugby league has two professional teams in Perpignan and Toulouse, with semi-professional competition below.

Both sports in Belgium are amateur and limited to a comparitively small number of teams.