Challenge: Industrialize Madagascar

Basically what the tin says, industrialize Madagascar during the 19th Century, transform it into a world power by the turn of the century.

First step would be to keep the British from renouncing their claims to Madagascar, I suppose. Try to keep a Thailand situation where the local government plays the British and French off of each other. Otherwise, avoid Radama II from signing the Lambert Charter and keep him a bit more moderate in terms of reforms, and that should be a fair start, if it has to be a 19th century POD.

Madagascar has a pretty nasty climate. Development is hard when portions of your infrastructure get destroyed by monsoons every year, and the other part of the island is desert.

kholieken

Banned
and Madagascar unification is very recent event, most Madagascar and had no loyalty to Highlanders dynasty. It did not have history, culture, and institutional capability of long-united people.

Queen Ranavalona I could have done it. But they need to build that infrastructure up to be able to get to the level to industrialize into a Meiji like country. That first part is especially tricky.

Could Madegascar becoming a European settler colony ala USA, New Zealand, Brazil, Chile be a change that might allow for greater industrialization?

and Madagascar unification is very recent event, most Madagascar and had no loyalty to Highlanders dynasty. It did not have history, culture, and institutional capability of long-united people.
Maybe the highlanders could be moved to the land of other ethnic groups over time assimilating them?

Not a world power, but it could certainly end up as an important local player (and along with Ethiopia and Liberia if you count it, the only African nation to maintain independence). It could end up as the Thailand of Africa, maybe even beating a lesser European power in some mini Russo-Japanese War equipment.

Could Madegascar becoming a European settler colony ala USA, New Zealand, Brazil, Chile be a change that might allow for greater industrialization?

Probably, but at the cost of getting an apartheid/Rhodesia-type situation where some Europeans, probably no more than 10% of the population (who have already no doubt massacred and stolen their way into getting the land in central Madagascar) rule over the majority of Malagasy who are just as poor as ever.

Maybe the highlanders could be moved to the land of other ethnic groups over time assimilating them?

The Merina were much more vulnerable to malaria than lowland Malagasy groups.

They'd be killed
That happened OTL and to this day Merina on the coast are seen as privileged people
Queen Ranavalona I could have done it. But they need to build that infrastructure up to be able to get to the level to industrialize into a Meiji like country. That first part is especially tricky.

She was focused on forcing the entire island to submit to her and she was a mess.

Start earlier, Ratsimilaho and the zana-malata unife the Western, eastern and northern coasts.

Intergrated the technologies that pirates and sailors would possibly know: casting of cannons, guns, bullets, creating gunpowder, etc...

Conquer the Merina and Bestileo (who were actively being enslaved at the time by the East Coast anyways) and centralize the power in Tana

They'd be killed

That happened OTL and to this day Merina on the coast are seen as privileged people

She was focused on forcing the entire island to submit to her and she was a mess.

Start earlier, Ratsimilaho and the zana-malata unife the Western, eastern and northern coasts.

Intergrated the technologies that pirates and sailors would possibly know: casting of cannons, guns, bullets, creating gunpowder, etc...

Conquer the Merina and Bestileo (who were actively being enslaved at the time by the East Coast anyways) and centralize the power in Tana

I just want to note that I don't mean a bunch of half Europeans conquer Madagascar, what I see is the Zana-Malata being like the Topasses of Timor who are "European" in the sense that they integrate European clothing, Creole language and alignment with their ethnic identity.

They don't have to direct descend from Europeans.

Thailand was an "asian tiger" by the end of the 20th century

I don't see Madagascar having a developmental timeline ahead of this