Challenge: Eurasian Empire

Your mission is to create a nation that spans all of Eurasia. All of it. Use any POD you like.

I'm bored, if you can't tell. :cool:

No Einstein, the bomb is not invented, after WW2 Russia unites with China, invades Western Europe and kicks out the GIs. When all of Eurasia is conquered, Stalin considers his mission accomplished.

Well a nation that does this would probally rule the entire world.
So Britain is your best bet- no American revolution, the empire continues being highly liberal, the other European powers get crushed and turned to democracy at some point. Towards the modern day a peaceful convergance to a world wide federation.

This a pre-1900 question, right, so Russia/Britain are unlikely.

Mongols. Shortlived, sometime before AD1400

No, he said, the POD wouldn't matter.

And unless the empire could make its inhabitants like it, lots of their power would be tied down. Read: Uprisings, secessions, revolutions.

Max Sinister said:
No, he said, the POD wouldn't matter.

And unless the empire could make its inhabitants like it, lots of their power would be tied down. Read: Uprisings, secessions, revolutions.

Yup. That's where I'm coming from.
I suppose you technically could go with a Napoleon victorious or something like that but it wouldn't last long. Peaceful unification in most places is the only way.

Use any POD we like? Does that mean we can use a POD that's after 1900 as well?

If so then your most likely chance for a 'Eurasian Empire' is the continued growth of the European Union until it morphs into something much larger encompassing Russia, China and India as well. Or possibly something that begins as a precursor to World Government.

Oh, and incase anyone was wondering, this is what Eurasia would look like:

Eurasia.png

Last edited:

Glen

zoomar said:
This a pre-1900 question, right, so Russia/Britain are unlikely.

Mongols. Shortlived, sometime before AD1400

I agree. The Mongols would be the most likely...they almost pulled it off OTL. Give some more longevity to Genghis Khan and his family, and maybe at some point relatively early have them decide that Primogeniture was the way to go, add in some good weather for invasions of Japan and the British Isles, and we might see an Eurasian empire by 1300. Probably wouldn't hold together too well, but for perhaps a few generations there would exist the greatest land empire the world has ever known.

Napoleon marries one of the Tsar's daughters....

Leej said:
Yup. That's where I'm coming from.
I suppose you technically could go with a Napoleon victorious or something like that but it wouldn't last long. Peaceful unification in most places is the only way.
The product of that union takes both crowns. Asia, and the rest of Continental Europe are conquered/pacified.

I suggested a similar PoD

Where Russia joins the EU after Canada joins.
I know such a union will have a lot of "American" territory, but who said an Eurasian empire can't have some colonies as well? ;)

Being that the Canadians would still form a small minority, most of the powers of such a union will still be in Eurasia, rather than America.

Oh you want it to be an Empire?
Well, have the EU more integrated (this will probably happen in the near future anyhow), and an anti-democratic leader voted into power (or a military coup of a united eurasian military), and you have yourself a sort of empire.

Glen Finney said:
I agree. The Mongols would be the most likely...they almost pulled it off OTL. Give some more longevity to Genghis Khan and his family, and maybe at some point relatively early have them decide that Primogeniture was the way to go, add in some good weather for invasions of Japan and the British Isles, and we might see an Eurasian empire by 1300. Probably wouldn't hold together too well, but for perhaps a few generations there would exist the greatest land empire the world has ever known.

A problem for the Mongols - as Floid's map points out - is Iceland. It is routinely grouped with "Europe" in Atlases, but I think that is more a function of cultural history than geography. If the Norse had never colonized it, Iceland could just as easily be considered its own thing (like the Hawaiian Islands or Australasia).

Max Sinister said:
Or you could group it to America. Which distance is greater, actually - Greenland-Iceland or Iceland-Faröer?
It doesn't work that way, if you wanted to be truly geographically accurate you'd have to go along the boundaries of tectonic plates, in which case Eurasia looks more like this:

tectonic.gif