Challenge: Create a CoDominium

Here's a challenge inspired Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium series (which had a U.S.-Soviet alliance), the Alliance from Firefly (the United States and the People's Republic of China), and a map posted somewhere by B_Munro showing a "Renaissance CoDominium" (between the Austrian and Ottoman Empires).

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a CoDominium to rule the world: two major nations or empires that should have every reason to be either rivals/antagonists instead combine their efforts to effectively rule the Earth together (and later, depending on the era expand into space). They can be from any era, and can last for any length of time.

Have at it...

Last edited:
Quick random thought - Napoleonic France and Britain from the same time agree to stop fighting and instead share the world. France gets all of Eurasia and Africa except for the British Isles, Iceland and maybe some British holdings in Africa/India of that time, while Britain gets Americas and Oceania. I don't know how this might be achieved, but I believe it would qualify for your idea.

I'm not sure if it really fits the scenario, but what about Nazi Germany and its Anti-comintern allies with the Soviet Union, that's a scary combination.

I'm not sure if it really fits the scenario, but what about Nazi Germany and its Anti-comintern allies with the Soviet Union, that's a scary combination.

Probably have to get rid of Hitler and his Lebensraum ideas, and I'm not sure Stalin is ever going to be happy with a scenario that's hardly likely to end up with a division of spoils in the favor of the USSR.

Bruce

Probably have to get rid of Hitler and his Lebensraum ideas, and I'm not sure Stalin is ever going to be happy with a scenario that's hardly likely to end up with a division of spoils in the favor of the USSR.

Bruce

Actually, depending on whether or not the Japanese were included, Asia would be ripe for Stalinist domination. Africa too, perhaps.

I expected this thread to be about something like Anglo-Egyptian Sudan, or colonial-era Vanuatu, but I think I prefer the premise given in this thread, as it relates to the CoDominium series of books.

Actually, depending on whether or not the Japanese were included, Asia would be ripe for Stalinist domination. Africa too, perhaps.

Well, if *Hitler is willing to throw Japan under the car, the proposition looks better, although Stalin is getting the impoverished peasants while Germany gets one of the world's two economic heartlands (the other being the US). And Africa? We're moving into Draka logistics here.

There were some moves in the direction of a Napoleonic/Russian CoDominium OTL, but they never really got anywhere...

Bruce

Faraday Cage

The Anglo-German Empire successfully defeats Franco-American forces and goes on to dominate the 20th century.

Alternatively, an Indian/Chinese space empire.

Now that I think of it, for a near future TL a US-Chinese CoDominium might actually be slightly possibly plausible.

Last edited by a moderator: