Challenge: Alternative Flag Designs to the Tricolor

The Tricolor. One of the most famous and iconic flag designs in the word. There are two types of Tricolor flags; Horizontal Triband and Vertical Triband.

The Dutch used the Horizontal Triband, which went onto influence designs from Russia, Germany, Hungary, India, and various African Nations. The French uses the Vertical Triband, which went on to inspire a number of countries flags, such as Italy, Mexico, Peru, Belgium and various African Nations. Some nations used different colors, some added symbols, but in the end, it's all the Tricolor.

So the challenge here, is to come up with an alternative flag design that isn't the Tricolor.

Lists of nations flags to alter from the Tricolor can include:
  • France
  • Germany
  • Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Belgium
  • Hungary
  • Austria
  • Luxembourg
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Lithuania
  • Ireland
  • Estonia
  • Lativa
  • Peru
  • Some African nations.
Can you come up with an alternative design to the iconic Tricolor?

Sidenote: Yes, I know other tribands exists. However, we're ignoring those and focusing on the Horizontal and Vertical, and only those with 3 stripes about the same size. So, Venezuela, Colombia, Canada, UEA, Madagascar, Benin, Canada and Namibia, etc. If you still want to create an alternative flag design for them, be my guest.

Hmm, well there are plenty of historical examples of flags for these countries that didn't use the tricolor. For example, France and Germany could just continue to use the fleur-de-lys banner and HRE eagle, respectively. However, for less well-known ones, there are a lot of early Latin American independence flags which never saw widespread adoption. They don't share a unifying tricolor-like design principle, but they seem to fulfill the requirement.

Mexican war flag, 1815:
Bandera Nacional de Guerra de Mexico en 1815.svg

Flag of the "United Provinces of New Granada" (which would later become Colombia), 1814:
1636699672633.png

Flag of the Second Venezeulan Republic, 1813:
1636699715693.png

Flag of Ecuador, 1820:
1636699807922.png

Flag of Peru, 1820:
1636699827174.png

Attachments

• 1636699856426.png
    1636699856426.png
    175 KB · Views: 156
I know an alternative to the German tricolor but there's a good reason it's not in use anymore...

I've always been partial to the design of the flag of Napoleonic Italy.

The Tricolor. One of the most famous and iconic flag designs in the word. There are two types of Tricolor flags; Horizontal Triband and Vertical Triband.

The Dutch used the Horizontal Triband, which went onto influence designs from Russia, Germany, Hungary, India, and various African Nations. The French uses the Vertical Triband, which went on to inspire a number of countries flags, such as Italy, Mexico, Peru, Belgium and various African Nations. Some nations used different colors, some added symbols, but in the end, it's all the Tricolor.

So the challenge here, is to come up with an alternative flag design that isn't the Tricolor.

Lists of nations flags to alter from the Tricolor can include:
  • France
  • Germany
  • Netherlands
  • Russia
  • Belgium
  • Hungary
  • Austria
  • Luxembourg
  • Italy
  • Mexico
  • Lithuania
  • Ireland
  • Estonia
  • Lativa
  • Peru
  • Some African nations.
Can you come up with an alternative design to the iconic Tricolor?

Sidenote: Yes, I know other tribands exists. However, we're ignoring those and focusing on the Horizontal and Vertical, and only those with 3 stripes about the same size. So, Venezuela, Colombia, Canada, UEA, Madagascar, Benin, Canada and Namibia, etc. If you still want to create an alternative flag design for them, be my guest.
You can have cross flags like England, Scotland , Nordics.

You can have cross flags like England, Scotland , Nordics.
There are only so many color combinations you can get. . Plus, again, there would be some difficulty in seeing them. Having stuff like the Union Jack or the Norwegian flags with extra colors helps out, but there would still be issues to it. Also, the flags with crosses in Europe have had hem for centuries. We also would need to think how thick the bars are, as it might just end up being a de facto vertical and horizontal tricolor combination. Then again, maybe there would be a way to make cantons on flags popular. A handy place to put things, though it would need o not be anything complicated unless it is for a government agency. Anyone know what flags besides the Cross of Burgundy were used by the Spanish in the Americas? Depending if the locals declare independence from a Bourbon or Bonapartist regime in Spain, they might still want to lay some claim of loyalty to the Habsburg Dynasty, such as when Argentina and Uruguay used blue and white in their flags as loyalty for the deposed Spanish Bourbons. The Cross of Burgundy itself looks like it would e a hassle to make, but I probably have been overstating the importance on the flag being easy to use. A lot come from old dynastic, military, or naval flags, so they originally wouldn’t need to make too many.

Speaking of colors of dynasties and such, the flag of France apparently was made by adding the white of the Bourbons between the blue and red of Paris. And Haiti later made their own flag by ripping out the white representing those constantly enslaving them. Maybe we can spin that somehow? Get revolutions of the Hole in the Flag sort removing elements. The big issue is the ratio and size would be messed up. I often would think in the past that all flags were the same shape, but seeing how much boxier the Danish flag is from the other Scandinavian flags showed me I was wrong. Really though, colonies don’t tend to get their own flags very much, and just ripping out the tricolor or Union Jack from the corner isn’t going to help if you just have a field of red or blue left with some offensive coat of arms,

There are only so many color combinations you can get. . Plus, again, there would be some difficulty in seeing them. Having stuff like the Union Jack or the Norwegian flags with extra colors helps out, but there would still be issues to it. Also, the flags with crosses in Europe have had hem for centuries. We also would need to think how thick the bars are, as it might just end up being a de facto vertical and horizontal tricolor combination. Then again, maybe there would be a way to make cantons on flags popular. A handy place to put things, though it would need o not be anything complicated unless it is for a government agency. Anyone know what flags besides the Cross of Burgundy were used by the Spanish in the Americas? Depending if the locals declare independence from a Bourbon or Bonapartist regime in Spain, they might still want to lay some claim of loyalty to the Habsburg Dynasty, such as when Argentina and Uruguay used blue and white in their flags as loyalty for the deposed Spanish Bourbons. The Cross of Burgundy itself looks like it would e a hassle to make, but I probably have been overstating the importance on the flag being easy to use. A lot come from old dynastic, military, or naval flags, so they originally wouldn’t need to make too many.

Speaking of colors of dynasties and such, the flag of France apparently was made by adding the white of the Bourbons between the blue and red of Paris. And Haiti later made their own flag by ripping out the white representing those constantly enslaving them. Maybe we can spin that somehow? Get revolutions of the Hole in the Flag sort removing elements. The big issue is the ratio and size would be messed up. I often would think in the past that all flags were the same shape, but seeing how much boxier the Danish flag is from the other Scandinavian flags showed me I was wrong. Really though, colonies don’t tend to get their own flags very much, and just ripping out the tricolor or Union Jack from the corner isn’t going to help if you just have a field of red or blue left with some offensive coat of arms,
Well the crosses can be different shapes (diagonal like Scottish flag and the bars can be of different sizes and they two bars can be intersected at different points. As for removing parts messing up size, they can just increase size of other parts of flag not removed so it keeps good size

I'm assuming you want a republican alternative?
Tricolours exist because they're essentially the simplest way of expressing allegiance in 3 colours without using fancy arms, arms that often could only be used by certain people.

Expressing non-allegiance could be an alternative. So upside banners of arms or deliberate cutting off particular emblems could show this.

In Thande’s timeline Look to the West, the flag of Revolutionary France is an inverted black fleur-de-lys on red with the words “death to the king” on the bottom, representing a bloodstained upside-down royalist flag. The sister republics they establish get similar designs based on pre-revolutionary symbolism.

In Thande’s timeline Look to the West, the flag of Revolutionary France is an inverted black fleur-de-lys on red with the words “death to the king” on the bottom, representing a bloodstained upside-down royalist flag. The sister republics they establish get similar designs based on pre-revolutionary symbolism.
Sounds terrifying, I like it

france flag.png

mexico.png

germany.png
these are all from my 1748 map game, the nature of things. in it there was no french revolution, but a firey and chaotic german revolution/unification that took up that role of spreading nationalism. here are the explanations from that thread. dw i made all these

France; due to the fact the bourbons are still in charge, their crest remains prominent. the white field hosting it is officially to stand for peace and a commitment to justice; in practice it just makes the blue field look better. Aside from being the royal and military color, said field is to represent the people of France.

Mexico; the Spanish crest in the middle is out of respect for the nation that, ahem, united the empire, but the brown stripe (might change the color) is to break the cross and show independence, as well as the people of Mexico. the gold background represents prosperity and nationalism

Germany; the gold, like Mexico, is a color of nationalism, and its prominence is a bit of a "Deutschland uber Alles" movement; it represents coming triumphs. the black represents the land that supports the nation (territory and people), and the red the blood of those who came before. The white four pointed stars represent the high and low germans, merged into one eight-pointed star. certain nationalists have flags with two more stars- for the dutch and Scandinavian germans; weather they have a 16-point star varies a lot

technically germany is still a sort of horizontal tricolor, but with the lopsided ratio and the stars i think it's unique enough