Cato's Cavalry

Any advancement in Roman Ship building?

I remember that Cato saved some of the Sea Wolves ships for the marines to study. I am wondering if that lead to better Roman ships to fight raiders?

I enjoy this timeline and I check it every day.

Stubear1012

The wine of Calleva Atrebatum was indeed very fine and perhaps a little stronger than the men from Hibernia were used to. But Túathal kept an eye on his men and they retired to their quarters when the noise level amongst them started to rise a little too high. The Hibernian prince nodded at Cato, who smiled back, and then they were gone.

“An exuberant people,” said a voice to one side and he turned slightly. “I quite like them though. They remind me of the Batavi. Enthusiastic. Dangerous too.” The speaker was a tall, lean man dressed in black and with a wry smile.

“Silenus. Aemilianus mentioned you earlier. I did not know that you were back.”

The other man grimaced. “A curtailed trip. Let us say that the Gauls are worried and used me as a messenger. Which means that someone else will have to go to the Batavi and find out what they’re doing.”

Cato took a sip of wine, leant back and stared at him. “What are you exactly again?”

This bought him a grin. “Why I’m just a humble trader. Who plies his wares amongst our neighbours. I’ve told you that before.”

“So you’re a trader. And a priest.”

“Oh that – yes, I spread the word of God to the unenlightened as I travel as well.”

“A trader-priest. Who is also used as a confidential messenger.”

Silenus’s eyes twinkled. “I like to help out when asked.”

“And who gets asked to find out what our neighbours are up to.”

The other man looked solemn for a moment. “Is it a crime to be observant?”

Cato took another sip of wine and then groaned quietly. “I must be getting old. A trader-priest-spy?”

Silenus grinned again. “At last! But obviously please keep it to yourself.”

“Keep what to myself?”

“You’re a fast learner my friend. A fast learner.”

There was a companionable silence as they both sipped their wine. Then Cato frowned slightly. “Aemilianus mentioned that you had a tale about a village in a forest in Magna Germania that haunted him.”

“Ah,” Silenus said, pulling a slight face, “That. Yes, to tell the truth it haunts me too. I was in Magna Germania, trying to see through the haze of chaos there. No-one ever knows what’s going on there in terms of the shifting coalition of power there. The Franks lead one day, the Goths lead the day after that, or so at least it feels. Here and there the old tribes flicker. The Burgundii. The Alemanni. It’s never stable. I don’t think that the Gauls want it to be stable either, which is dangerous. Did you hear about the forts they’re building?”

“I heard.”

“They want the high ground on the far bank of the Rhenus. They want to stop the occasional raid over the river. I’m not sure how sensible that policy is, but that’s what they’re working on. Anyway – it was about three years ago. I was in Colonia Agrippinensium on a trade trip – just trade I assure you – when I heard that there was a delegation of Goths coming. I rode out to meet them and to talk about the situation to the North-East. Well, in passing one of them mentioned that old tale of there still being an intact memorial to the Army of Varus somewhere in the forest to the East. I’d heard the tale before, but this time it came with directions, so I let my curiosity get the better of me.

“At first I thought that it was a tale from the market – all hot air – but then we discovered an old road that looked like one of the old Roman military roads. It was myself and three guards, the latter being led by an old veteran of the frontier called Marcus Arcadius, who despite his name had more than a dash of blood from Germania. The road was heavily overgrown in places, with trees all over the place and at one point I think we lost it, because the road suddenly became a track, which then became a path and then a trail. When it started to peter out completely I was ready to turn around and head back West.

“And then Arcadius sniffed the air and told me that there was a settlement of some kind nearby. He could smell people and goats he said. This curious streak I have made me seek them out. They were… a frightened group living in a village in a clearing. No more than about a hundred people. Lots of goats. A lot of stench as well – when we got back to Colonia Agrippinensium we all headed to the baths, just in case.
“They were terrified of us at first. And I didn’t have the faintest idea which language they were speaking. Not Frankish, or Gothic, or Suebi, or anything. And then Arcadius said a few words in a language that I’d never heard of before – and they all relaxed a bit. He told me later that he had learnt a few words from his grandfather. He kept talking and they kept staring at our horses. It was all… very odd. And then I talked to Arcadius, who told me that they spoke the language of the Hunnoi. Which stunned me.”

Cato stared at him. “They were Hunnoi?”

“Apparently their forefathers were fleeing their enemies when they encountered a man dressed in fine armour, on a great horse, who was some kind of noble. He led them into the forest, told them to stay there and then rode off, saying that he would return. He never did. And so that particular small remnant of a people who had ridden across the world and who had destroyed the kingdom of the Goths and who had only been defeated by the combined efforts of Gaul, Rome and Britannia, ended up in the arse-end of a forest, surrounded by goats.”

A long silence fell, punctuated by the sound of someone singing outside for a moment. “A sad tale,” Cato said quietly. “And I think I know why Aemilianus was depressed by your tale. So the Hunnoi are…”

“Scattered. Broken. Lost. I went back there a year later. The clearing was empty. The village was gone. They must have left not long after we were there.” Silenus smiled bleakly at him. “So I suspect that is exactly why Aemilianus was so disturbed by the whole tale. A people can be strong one day – and a scattered rabble another day.”

Cato thought about this and then drained the last of his wine. “Well that’s depressing.”

“Sadly much of life is,” Silenus said grimly. “Ah well. I will be off to see what the Batavii are up to soon. And you? Back to Deva?”

“Eboracum.”

“Lucky man. A great and growing city.”

Cato smiled politely and then made his apologies and left for his quarters. He had a great deal of thinking to do.

Fascinating update. It reminds me of Shelley's poem "Ozymandias".

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

Hero of Canton

Last edited:
Well, I am visiting Hadrian's Wall this weekend, as a last minute thing. Anyone in this fine thread (author included) have any suggestions? Sorry for hi-jack!

Great Update

This was a great update. The thing that I like was the fact that the Britain leaders are not over confident. They seem to be aware that things can change for the worst and that they need to be prepared for that. The fact that they know change can happen will help them if and when things change for the worst.

I do enjoy reading this time line while drinking beer.

Stubear1012

TFSmith121

Banned
True....except I have than damn Coldplay song running

This was a great update. The thing that I like was the fact that the Britain leaders are not over confident. They seem to be aware that things can change for the worst and that they need to be prepared for that. The fact that they know change can happen will help them if and when things change for the worst.

I do enjoy reading this time line while drinking beer.

Stubear1012

True....except I have than damn Coldplay song running through my head...

But nicely done to our our Welsh correspondent...seriously, always fun to read an update of CC.

It there some sort of "Red Book of Westmarch" element to this, that these annals end up being found in a ruined castle on rocky headland overlooking a stormy sea at some point?

Best,

There was a rain shower up ahead. Cato squinted slightly at the rain in the air far ahead of him, assessed which way the wind was blowing and then shrugged internally. It was going to pass him by. It wasn’t as if he was galloping Northwards on Hadrian.

The road stretched on Northwards. It was straight and well-maintained and just a military now as when it had been built, all those centuries ago. There were still some who called it Gratianus’s Way, after the long-dead Dux. He’d always thought of it as the North Road.

Ratae was somewhere over to the West. Eboracum lay to the North. He could see a way marker up ahead, still glistening with water from the rain, and he reined in besides it to look at it. It was old but it could still be read. Marker XXIX. Installed in the reign on Constantine the Great himself. Now there was a name to conjure with. A name that demanded respect. The dynasty was gone now. The emperors in Rome and Constantinople were descended from other families. Other dynasties. There was a rumour that one of the sons of Constantine had had a bastard son somewhere, a son who had been kept hidden through all the years of division and bloodshed and madness in Rome. But it was just a rumour. Just like the rumour that somewhere there was a direct descendant of Julius Caesar. Air in the wind.

He flicked the reins and Hadrian trotted on. It couldn’t be that far to the next way station and he looked at the position of the sun assessingly. The clouds were clearing away and while there was a brisk amount of other travellers on the road – he’d even passed a Turma of cavalry, probably from Ratae, being bawled out by a Centurion a few hours ago as they trained – he would probably be able to keep going until the waystation after next.

And in another two days he’d be at Eboracum. The great beating heart of the North, although he had heard reports that Luguvalium was growing as well. Perhaps it was time to lock the gates to the forts on the Wall and start moving the garrisons to the Antonine. Apparently the Tribes of Valentia might as well join the rest of Britannia. They certainly obeyed orders well enough, traded enough, had what passed for excellent auxiliary legionaries and above all had co-operated in the repairs and maintenance to the roads and forts leading to the Antonine Wall. The North was secure. It had taken decades and decades to achieve, but it had happened. Of course beyond the Antonine Wall lay Caledonia. With its tribes in various stages of chaos and flux.

He sighed as he rode on. The training Turma that he had seen earlier had made him think of his own men. They were a fine Turma. Well trained. Well equipped. And he had excellent officers and Optios, who were keeping the men in line whilst he was away from Deva. He wanted to be back there now. And he also wanted to avoid the place. Julia’s tomb was there. With the baby that she had died giving birth to. He had been a boy. The next in the line of Catos. The last in the line as far as he knew. No, perhaps that was his title.

He rode on. Eboracum awaited.

Something of a short update I admit. I've been horribly busy over the past two weeks, first writing two articles and then running around like a mad thing after our fridge-freezer died in the middle of this heatwave in London. Typical.

I butterflied it away when Justinian won the war against Persia.

Seeing as the Plague of Justinian started in China, I can understand butterflies changing the time or duration of the event, but not preventing it from occurring in the first place.

I also don't see how the war with Persia had anything to do with it. (The Plague struck the Sassanids quite heavily too, IIRC.)

Seeing as the Plague of Justinian started in China, I can understand butterflies changing the time or duration of the event, but not preventing it from occurring in the first place.

I also don't see how the war with Persia had anything to do with it. (The Plague struck the Sassanids quite heavily too, IIRC.)

Good points. However - I'm still butterflying it away. The ERE-Persian War was a large and nasty thing (I'll get around to explaining it when I get to Constantinople) and I think that it was large enough to stop the plague getting to the area.

Good points. However - I'm still butterflying it away. The ERE-Persian War was a large and nasty thing (I'll get around to explaining it when I get to Constantinople) and I think that it was large enough to stop the plague getting to the area.

I think it would be more reasonable to say that the Plague never started. A hundred years is a quite long butterfly period, disease and plagues are always finicky things, and the lack of impact further east might also be interesting to consider.

As it is, I'd expect a nastier war to have a *larger* chance of spreading plague (chaos, intermingling of populations, refugees, social breakdown), as the two have always tended to go hand in hand. Also, there was considerable sea trade between the ERE/India/China/etc. that would have presumably not been affected by the war (and do seem to have been the actual means of arrival IOTL, seeing as the plague was apparently first reported in the port city of Pelusium, Egypt.)

I do agree with your decision to butterfly away the Plague of Justinian in the ERE; just disagree on the explanation.

I think it would be more reasonable to say that the Plague never started. A hundred years is a quite long butterfly period, disease and plagues are always finicky things, and the lack of impact further east might also be interesting to consider.

As it is, I'd expect a nastier war to have a *larger* chance of spreading plague (chaos, intermingling of populations, refugees, social breakdown), as the two have always tended to go hand in hand. Also, there was considerable sea trade between the ERE/India/China/etc. that would have presumably not been affected by the war (and do seem to have been the actual means of arrival IOTL, seeing as the plague was apparently first reported in the port city of Pelusium, Egypt.)

I do agree with your decision to butterfly away the Plague of Justinian in the ERE; just disagree on the explanation.

More good points. Very well - the Plague never happened at all due to butterflies.

Just a thought, if the North road is the main one running roughly along the course of the A1 now, then he will have passed through or very close Durobrivae where modern day Castor stands just outside of Peterborough and on the junction for the A1m and the A47 to Ratae, (Leicester if I remember correctly).