I have seen many threads talk about the implications of Catherine of Aragon dying along with Arthur, Prince of Wales or after the birth of Mary Tudor, but I haven't seen many that portray her death in 1511. In this TL, I speculate she'd die shortly after giving birth to Henry Tudor, Duke of Cornwall sort of like Jane Seymour with little Edward.

There are two ways this could play out:

1. Catherine of Aragon dies and Henry, Duke of Cornwall follows her shortly after, which leads Henry to remarry.
2. Catherine of Aragon dies, but Henry, Duke of Cornwall survives. Henry can still remarry if he chooses to, but doesn't have to.

Unlike most TL's with Catherine dying early (Before 1520s), I don't think Anne Boleyn is completely wiped out as she could still become the Kings Mistress, but she certainly will be lesser in history.

Even if the Duke of Cornwall survives, Henry will most certainly want spares. Brides are very slim pickings at this point, though. Eleanor of Austria would be his best option. Maybe Isabella of Portugal, if Charles V marries Mary Tudor like he was supposed to. Henry could become interested in Anne Boleyn, but she won't become his mistress.

Even if the Duke of Cornwall survives, Henry will most certainly want spares. Brides are very slim pickings at this point, though. Eleanor of Austria would be his best option. Maybe Isabella of Portugal, if Charles V marries Mary Tudor like he was supposed to. Henry could become interested in Anne Boleyn, but she won't become his mistress.

Possibly, but I feel like a surviving Duke of Cornwall would marry Catherine of Austria, making it slightly weird, even for renaissance times, for a father-in-law to marry his daughter-in-law's sister.

Perhaps a French Princess, I would suggest Claude, but that would be a far stretch even for Anne of Brittany, who definitely didn't want her Duchy absorbed into France.

But Henry could always chose to remain unmarried and enjoy his infamous hedonistic life, he still heavily loved Catherine, and moving on may have been more difficult if you adjust the date.

Possibly, but I feel like a surviving Duke of Cornwall would marry Catherine of Austria, making it slightly weird, even for renaissance times, for a father-in-law to marry his daughter-in-law's sister.

Perhaps a French Princess, I would suggest Claude, but that would be a far stretch even for Anne of Brittany, who definitely didn't want her Duchy absorbed into France.

But Henry could always chose to remain unmarried and enjoy his infamous hedonistic life, he still heavily loved Catherine, and moving on may have been more difficult if you adjust the date.
Claude is possible if Anne of Brittany outlives Louis XII.

Henry would marry Eleanor, as Isabel was eight years old at the time, and Eleanor was 13, and in 2-3 years she would be ready to bear children. Henry wouldn't be delayed long with this high infant mortality rate and they have no way of knowing that the prince would survive to adulthood (if we're looking at option two)

Henry would marry Eleanor, as Isabel was eight years old at the time, and Eleanor was 13, and in 2-3 years she would be ready to bear children. Puck and Henry wouldn't be delayed long as I had a high infant mortality rate and they have no way of knowing that the prince would survive to adulthood (if we're looking at option two)

Although Eleanor of Austria is a better option (Considering Maria of Aragon is not yet deceased by 1511, meaning Isabel wont have her super-dowry), it isn't impossible for Henry to marry Isabel. Just have him continue his hedonistic life-style or have him mourn long enough for Isabel to turn at least 13 or 14.

Although Eleanor of Austria is a better option (Considering Maria of Aragon is not yet deceased by 1511, meaning Isabel wont have her super-dowry), it isn't impossible for Henry to marry Isabel. Just have him continue his hedonistic life-style or have him mourn long enough for Isabel to turn at least 13 or 14.
Even if Henry mourned Catherine for a long time, which he would, because he still loved her here, he would quickly navigate the marriage market. The councilors would have pressed him and I don't think they would have let their 19 year old young and healthy king wait for Isabel, when her cousin was free and older. Otherwise, Isabel and Henry would make a good couple.

Last edited:
Even if Henry mourned Catherine for a long time, which he would, because he still loved her here, he would quickly navigate the marriage market. The councilors would have pressed him and I don't think they would have let their 19 year old young and healthy king wait for Isabel, when her cousin was free and older.

Eleanor would've been 13, so I reckon they'd be betrothed in early 1511 or early 1512 and marry in 1513 (Only if Henry Jr. dies)

I know Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne is pretty weak compared to an Archduchess of Austria or an Infanta of Portugal, but what is the plausibility of her?

Eleanor would've been 13, so I reckon they'd be betrothed in early 1511 or early 1512 and marry in 1513 (Only if Henry Jr. dies)

I know Madeleine de La Tour d'Auvergne is pretty weak compared to an Archduchess of Austria or an Infanta of Portugal, but what is the plausibility of her?
Madeleine must have one or two brothers, so she can be sent to marry for Henry. She and her sister was an heir to her father, but I don't if this match it will works.

This legit happened otl though. Eleanor married Manuel and Catherine married João a bit later. I imagine that Henry marries Eleanor here, whether he has a son or not. Even if he already has an heir, he’s 20, so Eleanor will be queen for a long time, and the Habsburgs still have all the reasons for wanting him on their side. Cat can marry Henry jr. later on, although it would be smarter for Henry to engage jr. to Renee. Then he can balance Franco-Habsburg relations more to his likings

This legit happened otl though. Eleanor married Manuel and Catherine married João a bit later. I imagine that Henry marries Eleanor here, whether he has a son or not. Even if he already has an heir, he’s 20, so Eleanor will be queen for a long time, and the Habsburgs still have all the reasons for wanting him on their side. Cat can marry Henry jr. later on, although it would be smarter for Henry to engage jr. to Renee. Then he can balance Franco-Habsburg relations more to his likings

Silly me, I forgot.

I don't think Francis will love the match between his sister-in-law and Henry Jr. but it will stabilize things in the long run.

So we have Henry VIII + Eleanor or Isabel

And Henry Jr. + Renee or Catherine?

I don't think Francis will love the match between his sister-in-law and Henry Jr. but it will stabilize things in the long run.
Well, when she’s of age to marry jr, Francis will have plenty of kids who inherit Brittany before her. He’ll likely dislike the idea of the Habsburgs having the ear of England for another generation even more

Well, when she’s of age to marry jr, Francis will have plenty of kids who inherit Brittany before her. He’ll likely dislike the idea of the Habsburgs having the ear of England for another generation even more

I reckon the League of Cambrai still happens, but maybe Jr. and Renee are betrothed as a result of the treaty? It might prevent this war though, along with the other English-Imperial-French squabbles.

I wonder how Charles V will feel about the match.

Would England stay Catholic? IIRC, King Henry only left the Catholic Church and created the Anglican Church because the Pope would not grants his annulment to Catherine of Aragon. Given that Catherine here in this scenario dies in 1511 AD, England could very well likely remain Catholic.