Captured equipment

elkarlo

Banned
My brother said there was an Italian Tankette at their base in Iraq. Looks like they at least moved it several thousand miles.

From Wikipedia

In North Africa, the Commonwealth forces captured a large number of Breda Model 35s during Operation Compass, enabling the Australian 2/3 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment,[5] parts of the 4th Anti-Aircraft Brigade (which had a total of 42 Bredas in its Light Anti-Aircraft batteries during the Siege of Tobruk) and one battery of 106th (Lancashire Hussars) Regiment, RHA to be equipped with them.

Captured Bredas were used by the Long Range Desert Group and aboard a number of Royal Australian Navy and Royal Navy vessels including HMASVendetta, HMAS Perth[6] and HMS Ladybird, and at least one Marmon-Herrington Mk II armoured car.[7]

marathag

Banned
Agreed if you have an equipment for a brigade you may want to use a batallions worth of it and use the rest as replacements.

Except trucks. You used the trucks you could find and hopefully they were Ford's no matter who they originally belonged to.

Ford's 3 ton V3000 from Cologne
14407674629_29f0bbdb78.jpg

Ford SAF F198T 3.5ton from Paris
20071027-025%20Vrachtwagen%20RAI-border.jpg

The German one used a Bosch distributor and solex carb
The US one used Ford Distributor and Stromberg 97 carb, other slight differences in the V8

Was fairly sure that a lot of the work on Henderson Field on Guadalcanal was done with Japanese equipment. Googled the subject and apparently the Marines did use Japanese bulldozers and other unnamed equipment

The Vichy French gendarmes used an oddly high amount of Sten guns. Most of the photos I've seen of them in parades or on patrol have them using them.

I had a book on tanks in world war two and there were two images of Japanese tanks, a Type 95 and a Type 97 that had been captured by Allied troops with the words "Under New Management" written on the side. Unfortunately I don't know where that book is...
Was it the Victor Annual 1975?

Was fairly sure that a lot of the work on Henderson Field on Guadalcanal was done with Japanese equipment. Googled the subject and apparently the Marines did use Japanese bulldozers and other unnamed equipment

They did use one captured Japanese bulldozer which was likely one captured American bulldozer, a Caterpillar R-4. The first Japanese-manufactured dozer, the G-40, wasn't yet made, or ordered.

I remember in a book I once read about the Normandy campaign there was a photo of a US artillery battery shelling Cherbourg. I remember it because they were using German self propelled guns with white stars painted on the sides

The Artillery Branch deployed a intelligence battalion to Europe for evaluating German equipment. So much was captured in the summer of 1944 a Brigade HQ was authorized to supervise the deployment of multiple batteries & battalion HQ for combat use of the captured German & French cannon.

In Blackburn's " Guns of Normandy", there is related the story of the capture of a German nebelwerfer, which was pointed at the Germans and fired. It was unfortunate that the German artillery had registered the location of the weapon, with disastrous results.

marathag

Banned
In Blackburn's " Guns of Normandy", there is related the story of the capture of a German nebelwerfer, which was pointed at the Germans and fired. It was unfortunate that the German artillery had registered the location of the weapon, with disastrous results.

Or the the smoke cloud the rockets left after firing

Jack Brisco

Banned
Heck, we also consumed captured German food. Very helpful at times when the troops were outrunning their supplies. We also captured and used several hundred German refrigerated train cars, badly needed since we didn't have that many of our own reefer cars to haul perishable foods from the ports to the front line. Am also sure we used captured German medical supplies, which were apparently good, as well as just about any other supplies deemed usable.