Canadian Space Shuttle Names

This is a sequel thread to my thread of the same name last year

i am likely going to do a reboot timeline of my old one and am looking for some names

My choices as of right now are (along with my thoughts on them)

Bonaventure, after the aircraft carrier (mostly did peace missions)
Champlain (go back and forth, i like it and i don't)
Nanuq, the inuit word for Polar Bear, but Poler Bear sounds cooler IMO
Polar Bear, sounds cool

Contenders
Canada Goose (shortened to Goose), the national bird
Maple Leaf, sounds cheesy
Canada, a bit on the nose for me
Franklin after the franklin expedition is another choice, but for a ship sounds lame
Billy Bishop is another name, my dad recommended that one

Any idea's?

The US space shuttles were mostly named after exploration and research vessels, and that seems as good a tradition to draw on as any, perhaps with a focus on Arctic exploration if you want it to have more of a distinctively Canadian theme. Erebus and Terror are probably a bit too grim (even notwithstanding the Franklin expedition's unhappy fate), but names such as Resolute, Investigator, Advance, Polaris, and Discovery (if not already taken) seem quite suitable.

The US space shuttles were mostly named after exploration and research vessels, and that seems as good a tradition to draw on as any, perhaps with a focus on Arctic exploration if you want it to have more of a distinctively Canadian theme. Erebus and Terror are probably a bit too grim (even notwithstanding the Franklin expedition's unhappy fate), but names such as Resolute, Investigator, Advance, Polaris, and Discovery (if not already taken) seem quite suitable.
Using that discovery would be a prick move for most, most would assume it was Cooks ship

Investigator is my favorite of the lot, i just have a thing against using US ship names for a Canadian shuttle

I did previously use Erebus and Terror as stand in names, E of Pi pointed out the cannablism and stuff so i changed the name in rewrites. Both ships have impressive histories with exploration. Plus The Terror show is my favorite horror show (or movie) ever made (season 1, season 2 sucked). plus i love the names as they are the opposite of what an exploration ships name would be

Also Terror was one of the ships firing morters at fort mchenry, and a ship named Erebus was the one firing rockets with red glare
its wierd how history works sometimes

Depends in part on the time period. I could see "Nanuq" now, but not in the 1980s.

Silver Dart and other early, experimental aircraft?

Champlain, Hudson, Frobisher, Fraser, and many other explorers.

Depends in part on the time period. I could see "Nanuq" now, but not in the 1980s.

Silver Dart and other early, experimental aircraft?

Champlain, Hudson, Frobisher, Fraser, and many other explorers.
Nanuq is my top Shuttle-2 name choice
Champlain is good for the 80s, having a shuttle-2 or something in the modern day would be controverisal with the first nations people

i like to use ship names more, with people it always becomes controversial

If NASA can have the Enterprise then Canada can have the Montgomery Scott.

If they want a real person's name then call it the James Doohan.

My theme is Arctic exploration
If NASA can have the Enterprise then Canada can have the Montgomery Scott.

If they want a real person's name then call it the James Doohan.
an HMS Enterprise was one of the ships that tried to find Franklins lost Expedition, its partner ship HMS Investigator was lost during its mission

Last edited:
If you want a northern name you can do no better than Polaris itself
Northern Light, Northern Star

Right now my top names are
Bonaventure
Investigator, after the ship that tried to find the franklin expedition, its crewmembers were the first to discover the passage

To be a prick, that Enterprise that was partnered to Investigator, the shuttle would be infamous for Trekkies thinking it was for THEIR Enterprise when it was for a Royal Navy polar ship

If you want a northern name you can do no better than Polaris itself
I don't want to use american vessels

what do you think of my name ideas?

Investigator
Bonaventure
Champlain (maybe)
Brock

I am mad that Cabot's and Champlains ships names are Matthew (disputed) and Gift of God (in french)

Last edited: