Call it Fate, Call it Karma: An Austrian Empire TL

This in nice! :D

I can already tell that the Ottomans are probobly still screwed at this point, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that turkey keeps hold of OTL Iraq and Syria at least (oil money! stabalizing middle eastern regional power! :p).

On that note, hopefully someone can kick the suadis to the curb and get a more moderate government in control of Arabia (and thus Mecca and Medina).

Last edited:
I agree with Emperor Constantine.If the Austrians can break the Hungarian magnates at this point in time,why listen to their bitching instead of just breaking them?

Because at this time the Austrians were dealing with a rapidly liberalizing and nationalizing populace, had barely survived 1848, and they couldn't break the Magnates IOTL, so unless the Austrians had magical powers, they cannot just break the Magnates.

Until 1877 Wallachia and Moldova (later Romania) where Ottoman vassal states. So here the Austrians attacked their own ally the Ottoman Empire.

... At this time they were occupied by Russia, as in OTL ...

And Teiresias, the magnates weren't a military problem, they were a political problem. Huge difference between fielding some armies to attack someone in unison with three other powers and going in, declaring martial law and slaughtering your own citizens to stop them from revolting.

... At this time they were occupied by Russia, as in OTL ...

And Teiresias, the magnates weren't a military problem, they were a political problem. Huge difference between fielding some armies to attack someone in unison with three other powers and going in, declaring martial law and slaughtering your own citizens to stop them from revolting.
What about taking their lands and then distributing them to normal Hungarian citizens?Wouldn't that win their support?

Max thinks the Hungarian magnates are a problem, so he hands over half his Empire to them? And not even just Hungary proper, but also the Banat and Siebenbürgen, and, it seems, parts of southern Galizien and Bukowina... abandoning tens of thousands of loyal subjects. Really? As soon as he opens his mouth about this, he's going to be deposed and Ferdinand der Gütige reinstalled as Emperor, being the lesser idiot.

I think this has already been pointed out but the Hungarians disproportionately made up like 41% of the military forces so you've just gutted that whole system, and all Maximilian had to do to break the magnates was introduce suffrage to the common Hungarian people and possibly even initiate agrarian reform which wasn't hard since they were under military occupation.

Ah, well if this many people are arguing against it, maybe it wasn't as good as a solution as I thought.

... is there a way to delete threads?