Call for Applications, with full scholarships: São Paulo School of Advanced Science on the Bicentennial of Brazilian Independence

hSj438s.jpg

Dear AH.com community

After consulting with @Ian the Admin for permission, I am now pleased to share with all of you a call to apply to a short summer school program in Brazil, the São Paulo School of Advanced Science on the Bicentennial of the Independence of Brazil, to be held in person from 6 to 15 February, 2023, in São Paulo, Brazil. The school is jointly organized by the University of São Paulo and the Ipiranga Museum, both known institutions of excellent academic record nationally and internationally that will serve as hosts. The school will offer a program centered on the historical processes of Brazilian independence, including its domestic and international dimensions, and will count with high level lecturers who are references in their respective fields.

This call is primarily aimed at graduate students, PhD candidates and post-docs, though all are welcome to apply if interested. We offer full scholarships for ALL selected participants, covering travel costs to and from São Paulo and accommodation for the duration of the school. The course will be taught in Portuguese, with real time translation to English available.

If you are a historian or researcher of any level, you are welcome to apply and will likely be considered a competitive candidate. Preference will be given to applicants whose research is thematically appropriate with the school, i.e. fields like Brazilian history, Latin American independence processes, Atlantic History, the slave trade/African diaspora, coffee etc., including larger fields such as 18th or 19th century history (e.g. Napoleonic Wars, revolutions, Vienna Congress etc.), and Global History (e.g. Atlantic colonial systems, history of capitalism etc.), which can be even tangentially connected to the main theme of the School.

If you are interested, I urge you to apply. If not, I invite you to share this call with colleagues who might be interested. We are currently in a second and final round of applications, and applications are due on Saturday, February 14th, at 23:59h (Brasília time).

More information: https://caeni.com.br/bicentenario/

Good look to y'all and feel free to post here or message me if you have any questions (and thank you, Ian, for your support).

PS: the school will be held throughout the week preceding Carnival, so there will be no shortage of opportunities to experience Brazilian culture and to engage in cultural exchange.​

Friendly reminder that applications are due today. I do urge you to apply, if you're unsure. There is a very decent chance of approval, as the first round of applications selected only 27 foreign candidates or so, while we desire to have a complete roster at 50 foreign participants if possible, as stated in the official call. Seriously, get them in, even if a bit late.

Tagging people who have demonstrated interest in the thread. @M79 @Aluma @Domz @Eva Stubblefield @chestanewmitz @Vinization @Gukpard @ike225 @Capibara @holycookie @Kellan Sullivan @Beatriz @Rdffigueira @Taunay

(Brazilians are also welcome to apply, of course, but the selection is going to be much more competitive due to the volume and high quality of applications received so far)

Like Byzantine Caesar said, I urge everyone to apply

As of late Im working on my own projects and I dont intend to compete with anyone for a place there(because of course I'd win! ;) Jk) but this is a huge opportunity for anyone who's looking for a scholarship and wants to puts all that wonderful knowledge they learned here or elsewhere to good use but is not looking forward to affording the absurd bills that come with modern college(not saying you should give up your own education! Please dont interpret it that way) as this offers you not only the chance to learn more - be about my own "little" country or the world - but also will provide you with a nice new qualification to your currículum~

Like come' on its free!
Besides if Ian approves it then it certainly is endorsed by the nearest bear near you, so what else do you need?

This sounds like an amazing opportunity, and I hope you get a lot of applicants; I attended a conference in the comparative hsitory of Greater Ireland and Greater Portugal this past year and had a blast. Sadly, my ow research interests lay outside this conference, but I hope it goes well: and, personally, I really like the idea of Conferences being announced on these boards. It's a great way to reach scholars of multiple fields (and some of us, myself included, are really bad at knowing where to look for these opportunities :D )

This sounds like an amazing opportunity, and I hope you get a lot of applicants; I attended a conference in the comparative hsitory of Greater Ireland and Greater Portugal this past year and had a blast. Sadly, my ow research interests lay outside this conference, but I hope it goes well: and, personally, I really like the idea of Conferences being announced on these boards. It's a great way to reach scholars of multiple fields (and some of us, myself included, are really bad at knowing where to look for these opportunities :D )
Indeed. As I noted to Ian, AH.com has been building a solid network of historians and researchers for the past two decades. This isn’t an academic social network like Research Gate and Academia, but still offers ways of presenting this community with scholarly opportunities that they would otherwise not hear of.

Sorry, not able to go. Besides, the Brazilian government wasn't friendly to the idea of a Roman shipwreck or two off of Xareu rock when it came up 40 years before.