Caesar survives the ides of march: what next

As it says on the tin: what happens next? Caesar was currently planning a war against the empire of Parthia, so if he managed to get it underway, could he possibly win and expand Romes territory into the Euphrates and Tigris? ( given Romes future record on this though, its doubly it would last long.)

What about Octavian-would he still be heir? And what of Mark Antony and Brutus?

All ideas are welcome!

This might help http://www.livius.org/caa-can/caesar/caesar_t15.html.
Its essentially what he planned to do, if he hadn't been assassinated. However, I'm not sure how he would react to the assassination attempt. I assume there would be severe repercussions, but on the other hand, Caesar was famous for pardoning his enemies so it could go either way. Also, how does he survive the assassination? Is the plan betrayed to him by one of the Conspirators, does he decide to take bodyguards with him to the senate or something else, because how he finds out is very important to how he will react.

Seraphiel

Banned
Its essentially what he planned to do, if he hadn't been assassinated. However, I'm not sure how he would react to the assassination attempt. I assume there would be severe repercussions, but on the other hand, Caesar was famous for pardoning his enemies so it could go either way. Also, how does he survive the assassination? Is the plan betrayed to him by one of the Conspirators, does he decide to take bodyguards with him to the senate or something else, because how he finds out is very important to how he will react.

Looks like he didnt know when to stop. Though would he have been able to conquer the Parthians?

Looks like he didnt know when to stop. Though would he have been able to conquer the Parthians?

The hole empire? No. The territories that Trajan conquered later? I think yes. I don't know if they could hold them for that long but definitely conquer them. The part about conquering Germania and Scythia sounds ASB but creating a canal through the isthmus of Corinth and improving Rome itself with a port, more farm land and and the like sounds fairly doable.

well he did receive a message just before he went into the theater about the plot..but he never read it and history was made

another note: the guy who sent/handed the message to Cesar once was employed by Brutus...some reckon maybe part of him was hoping to warn Cesar off...he was a complex guy, just like Julius...so could be a pod there....though i doubt he'd be pardoned by Julius a second time... maybe exiled permanently...

the senate would defiantly be purged and Cesar would probably make Cesarion his heir when he was old enough and could convince the Romans to except a new monarchy (the Romans still rejected kingship at the time, it was later they excepted it after the following succession/civil wars)...Octavion might rebell or not depending on how its handled...anything else...depends on how long he naturally lives after and how he handles the military

Seraphiel

Banned
The hole empire? No. The territories that Trajan conquered later? I think yes. I don't know if they could hold them for that long but definitely conquer them. The part about conquering Germania and Scythia sounds ASB but creating a canal through the isthmus of Corinth and improving Rome itself with a port, more farm land and and the like sounds fairly doable.

Could the conquest of Mesopotama cause an overextension of the Roman Republic and earlier collapse?

Could the conquest of Mesopotama cause an overextension of the Roman Republic and earlier collapse?

It could but I think it depends on how its handled. I mean are the territories directly annexed or are they governed by Client Kings? If there governed by Clients then the territories can be annexed later when there more Romanized. If directly governed, I don't know. I suppose Caesar could rebuilt the various cities in the region that were abandoned and set them up as colonies for Roman veterans . Actually that doen't sound like a bad idea. Also what happens to Parthia? I mean if the Great King (I think that's the Parthian title) gives up essentially half the empire then he's going to get overthrown, so I assume Parthia would fall into civil war between the various claimants to the Throne. So no threat there for a while.

Several sources I read claim he was planning to deal with Dacia first.

Which sources? I think I remember something about Dacia but I'm not sure? Perhaps it was planned to happen when Caesar was doing his weird plan to conquer Scythia and Germania. Its kind of weird that, if Caesar was planning to conquer Dacia, then those very plans would be carried out by Trajan a century later.

I would think that Caesar could have bested the Parthians just fine. He got out of some pretty sticky situations in Gaul and during the civil war...

I would think that Caesar could have bested the Parthians just fine. He got out of some pretty sticky situations in Gaul and during the civil war...

He certainly planned to bring more cavalry then Crassus- oh and he was also a military genius. So yes, me might be able to best them in a few battles. But conquer all their land? Hmmm.......maybe not.

Which sources? I think I remember something about Dacia but I'm not sure? Perhaps it was planned to happen when Caesar was doing his weird plan to conquer Scythia and Germania. Its kind of weird that, if Caesar was planning to conquer Dacia, then those very plans would be carried out by Trajan a century later.

I have to confess that I don't remember, but Wikipedia refers to a passage from Strabo's Geography to that effect.

Cleopatra would probably have assisted him in his Eastern wars and benefited accordingly - maybe land, a share of the bounty, a share of the popularity even. She was quite fertile so maybe one or two more children.

Strategos

Banned
So essentially, he planned a round two of Alexander's conquest or an attempt thereof. Hell, marshalling the Legions that were already raised and making the gamble might work. Getting into the Caucuses and penetrating quite deeply into the Mid East isnt impossible.

The issue becomes administration. Although without pressure from the east and a few other places, the empire might be able to last long enough to stay united. It wasnt impossible, but the Roman Empire remaining a single unit might be impossible.

Wasnt there an era where the Empire was split into three seperate states? Something like that might happen.

Having done a more thorough read, it means his European lines would end up easier to defend and it would take much longer to over run it. In fact, by the absorbtion/annhilation of Germania and much of the Mideast/Caucuses, he short circuits the issue of Barbarians from Germania sacking Rome and Attila the Hun.

Hell, this changes everything. Can someone do a map? Ill try. Pink is for pre-possesions/maximum extend. White includes some of his desires, and both include what the empire had but Caesar will need to conquer.

Ceasar's Ambitions 2.GIF

Last edited: