C.S.A. The Movie

Straha

Banned
Wendell said:
Sure, not right away, but EVER?
Absolutely never. California wouldn't want to tie itself with slavers. And besides discusison of further secessions besides dixie is ASB IMO.

Straha said:
Absolutely never. California wouldn't want to tie itself with slavers. And besides discusison of further secessions besides dixie is ASB IMO.
Why? If secession is legal, then when some other state gets annoyed like some brat (a la the CSA), they can try to secede. Now, if the North bans further secessions once the CSA leaves, that's another matter.

Straha

Banned
Wendell said:
Why? If secession is legal, then when some other state gets annoyed like some brat (a la the CSA), they can try to secede. Now, if the North bans further secessions once the CSA leaves, that's another matter.
The north would ban further secessions FAST.

WFHermans

Banned
dd_csa_film01.jpg

Maybe you could, ahum, read the AH before criticizing it.

For those that are too lazy, here's the ultrashort version: CSA wins and takes over all of the USA.

Straha said:
No. None of them. In fact the CSA is likely if it treis taking the union would prolly louse missouri, maryland, delaware, kentucky and another bite out of virginia. Taking over corrupt unindustrialized nations in latin america is one thing and trying to take the US is another.
In all frankness, it requires a fair bit of pessimism to thing that the CSA would be terribly successful in the former. Mainly because it is likely to _be_ a corrupt unindustrialised nation... or several... itself.

But yes, taking the North is a bit excessively ambitious for any CSA Wins timeline. Frankly the while Status Quo Ante Bellum thing is in fact pushing matters without heavy ASB aid by 1862.

HTG

Straha

Banned
htgriffin said:
In all frankness, it requires a fair bit of pessimism to thing that the CSA would be terribly successful in the former. Mainly because it is likely to _be_ a corrupt unindustrialised nation... or several... itself.

But yes, taking the North is a bit excessively ambitious for any CSA Wins timeline. Frankly the while Status Quo Ante Bellum thing is in fact pushing matters without heavy ASB aid by 1862.

HTG
Your'e correct. The ONLY reason that I have the CSA include all the existing slave states of the US(and not arizona/new mexico/indian territory) is because I have a POD i nthe 1850's leading to filibuster regimes in north mexico and cuba and central america helpign with and joinin the CSA.

In bring the Jubilee, the CSA takes every slave state (Delaware, W virginia, Maryland, Missouri, Kentucky) Indian territory, new mexico (and arizona), California for some pacific coast, and just for kicks, Nevada. Then, also just for kicks, they take over mexico, panama, and everything in between. It's not great AH, but it's still a pretty decent novella.

I'Ve happen to have stuble on a spanish sublttitle version of the movie but too bad for me I could get a world of english (probably it was subbtle in the original version but it was cutted in the version I saw) of the latin american expert during the conquest of South Americam So can anyone say to me was it was all about

(Fun movie even if it is totally impossible)

Reposting from the other thread:

Criticizing this movie on the basis of historical implausibility is totally missing the point--it's a satire, people. Like I said [earlier on this thread], this is analogous to criticizing "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (or, say, 'Mystery Science Theater 3000') on the basis of scientific implausibility.

Jesse said:
Reposting from the other thread:

Criticizing this movie on the basis of historical implausibility is totally missing the point--it's a satire, people. Like I said [earlier on this thread], this is analogous to criticizing "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (or, say, 'Mystery Science Theater 3000') on the basis of scientific implausibility.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure you think a slave-holding nations that treats one-third of its population like sub-humans is friken hularious. Maybe 1984 was also satire.

FYI, 1984 was satire. The fact that it's black humour doesn't make it satire. See: A Modest Proposal.

The Confederate subjugation of the North is more than plausible, as is the conquest of South America, based as it is on the real-life plans of some Confederate leaders.

What??? Who confederate leaders are they speaking about?

The fact that it's based on a plan doesn't mean it's plausible. The fact that the french had a plan at Agincourt doesn't mean they had much chance of winning.

Nicksplace27 said:
Oh yeah, and I'm sure you think a slave-holding nations that treats one-third of its population like sub-humans is friken hularious. Maybe 1984 was also satire.
What, horrible things can't be satirized? (I would have mentioned Swift's classic A Modest Proposal here but someone beat me to it.) The whole point of the movie is that it is a satire about racism (along the lines of Spike Lee's Bamboozled), using the fictional dystopia of the C.S.A. to make points about the racism that actually existed in our history (for instance, this review mentions that during the faux-documentary they periodically show commercials for products featuring racist mascots that actually existed in our own past, like "Sambo Axle Grease" and "Darkie Toothpaste"). Please, go watch the trailer on the C.S.A. website and tell me if the bits shown don't strike you as obviously satirical. Also, have a look at my post near the bottom of the first page of this thread (post #15) where I quoted some reviews which also suggested the movie was satirical.

Last edited:
Nicksplace27 said:
Clearly, you wouldnt know a satire if it bit you in the ass.

There are good satires and bad satires. This does not exactly look like a good one (Hitchhiker's Guide IS):)