Burning Bishops and Degenerate Generals- A TL about the Near East

Hi, I am a first time commentor, but I have greatly enjoyed your TL so far.
I so much enjoy this period of time and this is such a well-drafted story.
Concerning the realism I have a few notes for your consideration:

A) Alexios was born ca 1106, which means that he would be 52 at 1158 when he had his first son. His wife would probably be in her late 40s so this does not seem so feasible. Maybe if his son was born in the early 1140s around the time he took the throne.

B) BTW Alexios' brother Andronicos had already two sons named John (born ca 1128) and Alexios (born ca 1136), the latter of whom gained infamy as Protosebastos, lover of Empress Maria of Antioch and acting regent after OTL Manuel's death.

C) John Axouch was about the same age as the Emperor John so in 1158 he would be almost 70 years old, too old to take the field if not dead. His son Alexios was married to TTL Emperor Alexios' daughter.

D) Meanwhile where is Manuel? What he's up to?

Please dont make Alexios too much paranoid about his brother. A man of his quality should fare better.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I can answer some of what you're talking about:

A) I know it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's impossible. We don't know exactly how old Kata of Georgia was, so if we assume mid 40s, it's still possible, just very unlikely. Running off the idea that John is something of a miracle, it worked out in the end.

B) I can't include everything about the imperial family in one chapter, but I do know about Andronikos' children. They were rather important in OTL;)

C) A man in his late sixties would have a lot of trouble leading armies, but if he's in decent shape there is a historical president of older men pulling it off. I wouldn't read too much into it. Iconium was his last major campaign, and I took a few liberties in age.

D) Manuel is not sitting on his butt, I'll say that much. I may even write the next chapter from his POV, if I decide to change into narrative.

E)I'm trying to base a lot of Alexios from what I know about John. John was fairly secretive, and kept a lot of things to himself, especially fears and suspicions. Alexios is the same way. The fact that he's paranoid of his brother is not his defining feature or anything, that's just unfortunately how he's starting to look at Isaac.

From Alexios' perspective, Isaac has killed Andronikos, then directly challenged his authority by taking Iconium, setting himself up as his rival. Alexios knows his history, and he's seen what has happened to earlier emperors with powerful generals, so I think he's right to be a little worried.

I do get what you're saying though, and in the next couple of chapters I will focus less on Alexios' suspicions. He's going to have plenty to do besides worrying about Isaac anyway.

I'm glad you're enjoying the TL:D. I'll try to incorporate some of what you're saying into my writing. Right now, the hardest part for me is enacting all the butterflies that will occur. I'm well past the point of brainstorming for this part of the TL, but I'm still constantly editing and re-writing and researching with whatever information I can find. You'd be surprised how few works have been written about the Komnenoi, compared to other subjects.

I can understand how difficult it is to write such a TL.

I also once wrote a storyline about the same era, only it was Andronicos the one that survived. It solved the problem of the inheritance and continuity pretty nicely. But in the end it turned out way too pro-Rhoman so I am also currently editing and re-writing from the start to make it more balanced.

You, my friend, have chosen a more difficult storyline because there is so little known about this unfortunate prince. His, was truly a tragic loss for the Empire, made even more tragic by Manuel's disastrous incompetence.

I can understand how difficult it is to write such a TL.

I also once wrote a storyline about the same era, only it was Andronicos the one that survived. It solved the problem of the inheritance and continuity pretty nicely. But in the end it turned out way too pro-Rhoman so I am also currently editing and re-writing from the start to make it more balanced.

You, my friend, have chosen a more difficult storyline because there is so little known about this unfortunate prince. His, was truly a tragic loss for the Empire, made even more tragic by Manuel's disastrous incompetence.

This is actually the fifth time I've tried writing a draft for this TL :p. I've tried many before, but I decided that it was time to put it out and improve as I went.

Part of the problem with the way I create is that I have ideas and plans for all over the world for hundreds of years planned, but can't focus on individual events and time periods. I'm really good at working out the big picture, but the details are what kills me.

The next chapter is coming out when I am finished editing, probably today or tomorrow.

A miracle and a tragedy

Alexios watched his wife Kata hold their little infant John. The fact that he had a son to speak of was truly a miracle, yet another great fact to add to a long list of other miracles. It was true, he, Alexios Komnenos, had been blessed by the Lord.

Kata was still a beautiful woman, despite her advancing age. She was 44, and had just given birth to her first son, but she still handled herself with great grace and poise. Thankfully, there had been no complications with the childbirth, showing once again that God did favor the Komnenos. Still, the strain of giving birth to a child took its tole on her. She was getting older.

We are all getting older. He had seen John Axouch after the battle of Philomelion. Battered and bruised, barely able to move due to injuries. But the real cause was something that none of the medicos voiced: he was just too old. The same man whom Alexios had seen lead countless battles and vanquish foes without fear had lived past his time.

But Alexios could not stop the inexorable passage of time, and he did not wish to. For despite it all, he was happy. Yes, Isaac schemed, and he may have harmed Andronikos, but he seemed to have stopped. Now he had a son, a miracle child that would live on to continue the legacy of the Komnenos.

At the time, it seemed nothing could make him unhappy.

~~~

It seemed the day would not let him enjoy his happiness for long. An urgent message had arrived, from the Latins in the Holy Land. It did not bear good news. The moslem Nur ad-Din Zengi had invaded Jerusalem.

The letter called for whatever help Rome could provide, and even went so far as to proclaim themselves an Imperial Vassal. Another letter had been sent to the Bishop of Rome, asking for assistance from their pope. More Latins is not what I need.

He had to help, of course. His duty as a Christian and the Emperor required him to. But all the same, some evil, ungodly part of him wanted to just let Jerusalem burn. The Latins had certainly spited him enough. But he would never give in to that part.

Manuel will finally get his wish. We are going to Jerusalem. Once again, he felt old.

~~~

Something of a teaser. Hope you enjoy!

Brief Essay on the Komnenid Restoration in the mid-12th century:

In our study of the Komnenid Restoration, historians will all too often focus completely on the great battles, sieges and intrigue that rocked the Roman Empire during the 12th century. But the true story of the revival of Roman Anatolia comes not in the excitement of conquests, but in demographics and steady growth.

We have already examined Mr.Sharpe's theory that Manzikert and the temporary loss of Anatolia actually helped the Empire, and now the real evidence of this theory comes to light. With a steady stream of conquests during this time period, the Greek-speaking demographic of the empire flooded into the newly reconquered regions of Anatolia. This created a demographic boom of loyal Roman citizens and poor land-owning farmers in Anatolia that led to even more population growth.

This was the despite the larger and larger urban demographic, filling out cities such as Thessaloniki, Constantinople, Nikomedia and Smyrna. With more manpower and taxes, Rome was able to conquer even more territories and create an ever-growing system of conquests.

This was all done while the aristocracy shrunk in power and the middle class grew. As more gold and silver flooded Constantinople's coffers, buildings and projects intended to improve the quality of life of the average Roman were able to be funded. A great percentage of that money, however, went to the army; guaranteeing the empire's safety with threats to all sides.

This is also a bit of a sore point to many muslim students of history; however. It is unknown how many Turks lived in Anatolia at the time, but by the end of the Komnenid restoration, they were few and far between. The systematic genocide of possibly hundreds of thousands of Turkish innocents is a dark spot on this part of history, but one which cannot be undone.

There were also certain drawbacks to this form of an expansive economy, which become apparent when you observe the changes in Roman society even by the reign of Theodora Komnenos. For when the conquests ended, the problems would begin, problems that took a three generation long civil war to correct.

But regardless, the growth of trade, wealth, and population in Rome cannot be stressed enough in a course of Roman history.

Christopher Hitchcock, University of Harriet

OOC: An interlude. Also, where in the name of god could Harriet be?:cool:

I have a few updates after this, but I'd really like to change the title. Is there a way to do that without contacting a mod, or will I have to do so? I've decided to change the tone of the TL a bit compared to what I had planned, so a title change is something very important to me.

Sorry it's been so long, but now that I've recovered from the beginning of school panic, I'm finding time to write again. Roma Eterna!:cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1158:
-Alexios gathers his army and journeys east, to Antioch. For once, Latins are pleased at the sight of an approaching Greek army.

- Nur Zengi is starting to become known as the Infidel of Damascus. Since his victory against Mu'in and his conquest of Damascus, the ambitious emir has consolidated his realm and gathered an enthusiastic army. He has also been gathering allies, creating an alliance with the Fatimids and several agreements with the Persians to his east. He has also grabbed many more lands belonging to the Kurds, creating a Zengid realm stronger than ever before seen.

Meanwhile, Jerusalem has faltered. Baldwin III and his mother, Melisende, has been engaged in a constant power struggle over the past decade, that had many times nearly erupted into civil war. It most likely would have, if not for the intervention of the notable Archbishop of Tyre, William*.

Up until 1158, there had been an uneasy tension where the two had split the Kingdom. Finally, in the early part of that year, Melisende had died, and Baldwin returned to Jerusalem to "mourn" (take power for good). The Zengi and Fatimids decided to invade before he could move to consolidate the realm.

-Now, Baldwin, King of Jerusalem, continually tries to raid and delay the army of his enemy "The Infidel of Damascus". However, a second invasion from Egypt forces him to face one of his foes, and he chooses the Emir of Damascus, proclaiming he would defeat the invader or die trying.

Giving battle,however, proved much harder than avoiding it. Zengi was more than willing to lead Baldwin on a chase across Outremer, skirting ever close to the city. When the Latin King finally did give battle, his troops were much more exhausted and he did not get to pick the terrain.

The two armies met near the town of Hebron and the Latins were finally able to see their enemy. However, it was not a melee as the Latins had hoped, but a skirmish. Arrows penetrated the Christian Knights and Footmen, turning it into a systematic massacre. After 4 hours of hell being rained down upon them, Baldwin attempted to retreat.

However, this was when the moors finally met them. The Christian ranks fell into disarray, particularly the center, which collapsed in the massive Arab onslaught. By the end of the battle, the left and center where all either fled, captured or dead. The right, however, did manage to retreat into Jerusalem, with an injured King Baldwin on their side.

The survivors of Hebron rapidly did whatever they could to fortify the city, but it would prove to not be enough. By the end of the year, the city fell. The Infidel of Damascus gave the Holy City over to his troops for three days, during which time thousands of Latins were massacred and churches looted.

tumblr_maerr9ffkV1rtn3ufo1_500.jpg

Painting depicting the fall of Jerusalem.

Throughout Christendom, the effects were felt. The Pope had already declared a crusade, and now he received an even more massive response. From Norway to Naples, men took up the sword and cross and came to Antioch, which the Emperor of Rome had left open for the rightful warriors of Christ.

When the news reached Alexios, who was now in Tripoli, all feuds he had with the Latins seemed to dissapear. William of Tyre remarks on the Emperor's response:

"A lesser man might have torn his clothes and wept, but Alexios Komnenos steeled himself and said nothing. When his brother Isaac sought a response, he merely replied: "Then we will have to take it back." Never will I forget the look in that Greek's eye on that black day. I knew then that the mohammedens had an enemy terrible to behold, one who fought for our Lord."

William may have been more than a little biased, however, especially considering the rewards Alexios would heap on him later. Regardless, this historical text does give us some indication on the abrupt mending of Latin-Roman relations brought about by Imad Zengi.

It was when christian morale was at its lowest that it scored one of its greatest victories. A Fatimid force nearing fourty thousand had invested Acre, hoping to take and fortify the city before the crusaders and Romans arrived. However, the city held out, and in a classic example of sword-and-anvil tactics, the Romans attacked the Egyptian camp just as the defenders of Acre sortied. The Fatimids were smashed, and once news hit Cairo the young Caliph Al-Faiz was soon found dead, dying before the age of ten. This triggered even more of a sucession struggle in the collapsing Fatimid Caliphate, effectively ensuring there would be no second Egyptian invasion.

Despite this victory, the war was not close to over. The Infidel of Damascus sat in Jerusalem and the Emperor of Rome sat in Acre. The former was still reorganizing after the chaotic capture of Jerusalem, and the latter gained reinforcements every day. There were still more battles to be fought.

I'm reworking this TL into a new one: Restoration, Exile, Rebirth: The History of the Komnenid Dynasty. There are a few necessary tweaks I have to make to quite a few chapters (plus the title) and with interest in this seeming to peter out, it's the perfect opportunity to do so. The new TL will be even more focused on the Komnenoi, and will certainly be an improvement over this TL.

Expect it to come out sometime this October. If you've liked this TL, please feel free to come over and give this one a go, starting from the beginning. It will still have the same PoD and general storyline, but so many things are changing (including, I hope a significant improvement in the quality of writing) that it's worth reading over.