Bundeswehr in neutral Germany after 1953

abc123

Banned
Anyway- with 250 000 soldiers, Germany can have about 18-19 brigades or about 6 divisions...

I'm using 10 000 soldiers for Navy, 30 000 soldiers for Air Force, 50 000 soldiers as Support troops and about 160 000 soldiers in the Army.

abc123

Banned
The West German army in that time had three corps. Each of them would have inflated to a full army once mobilized.

Agreed. This German Army will also have 3 corps, one for Southern part of Germany, one for north-western part and one for eastern part of Germany.

abc123

Banned
Corps areas in future Bundeswehr:

Yellow colour- 1st Corps ( HQ Magdeburg )

Green colour- 2nd Corps ( HQ Hannover )

Blue colour- 3rd Corps ( HQ Ulm )

Black colour- Saar ( under French administration )

Violet colour- Hauptstadtkommando Berlin ( Berlin Command )

Future Luftstreitkrafte will have 3 air divisions that will have same areas as land Corps.

BundesRepublikDeutschland.png

Last edited:

abc123

Banned
Meanwhile, Germany decided to invite it's former aerospace engineers like Willy Messerschmitt and Kurt Tank from Spain and Argentina to start rebuilding aerospace industry in Germany. They were also invited to start development of aircrafts that future German Air Force would use.

abc123

Banned
Government of Germany also started thinking will their future armed forces be based on conscription or on professional service. Since professional soldiers would cost much more than conscripts and because of need for strong reserve, Germany decided that their future armed forces will be based on conscripts serving 1 year in active service and 5 years in reserve.

Conscentious objectors could alternatively serve for 15 months in Civil Protection, Fire Service and other similar organisations. Some other categories were exempted ( priests, Jews, career policemen, firefighters etc. ).

abc123

Banned
As part of preparations for re-establishing of German Navy, German Government started to plan for re-establishment of Naval Academy. They decided that Naval Academy will be sitiuated in Kiel ( not in Murwik as before the war, to make the distinction from past ) and also decided to order new school sailship for German Navy. This ship will be named Grosser Adler ( after 16th century Hansa's warship- largest ship in the world at the time ). It is estimated that the academy and the ship will be finished by late 1956. The ship will be a close copy of Gorch Fock.

Hey abc123, what's up? I sent you a PM but it said you can't receive it. So I'll drop this here since it relates.

I cooked up what the leadership of reunified Germany might look like...

So here's what I've come up with...

The President is selected by Federal Convention, in this case all the states will participate. I'm thinking Ludwig Erhard, since he was an 'independent', and was more open to reapportionment with the Soviet Union, and more centrist economically.

The alternative is Theodor Heuss simply keeps the position, although for political reasons those in the East would probably want a change. So lets say he's out.

I'm thinking Gustav Heinemann could be Prime Minister. He's was for a time leader of a centrist party, the GVP, and IOTL has worked in both parties.

To spice things up, why not have the GVP become necessary in a Grand Coalition to block the CDU and KPD? So a GVP-SPD-FDP Grand Coalition. Heinemann could use slick maneuvering to position as a compromise between the SPD and FDP, leading the coalition and becoming PM.

Since Erhard is elected by secret ballot, and is still the compromise candidate, he could still be President, the Grand Coalition would stop him from being able to a appoint any CDU Chancellor. You like that?

PS turn your PM on.

I am not convinced of the entire thing, but some comments:

-election results: CDU would probably do better in Eastern germany, the SPD worse, they don't have a party organisation any more

-Gustav Heinemann: To early for him to be back in the big game, he had just left the CDU, and started his own party for the 1953 election, with a unification there really is no reason for him to become a Social Democrat

-Ludwig Erhard as Bundespräsident? He would be a great Simbol, but I doubt that he would have wanted the job

Unification wouldn't go as fast as in OTL 1990, there would likely be a national assembly for a Constitution, that would have to include the new borders and a referendum, who knows what woulld happen.

A treaty should include a settlement for German POWs and a UN membership.
Germany might be allowed millitarry partnership with other neutrual contries, like Switzerland, Austria, Sweden or even Yugoslavia...

And I think, the status of Sahrland should be settled as well, no reason to leave that open.

I am not convinced of the entire thing, but some comments:

-election results: CDU would probably do better in Eastern germany, the SPD worse, they don't have a party organisation any more

-Gustav Heinemann: To early for him to be back in the big game, he had just left the CDU, and started his own party for the 1953 election, with a unification there really is no reason for him to become a Social Democrat

-Ludwig Erhard as Bundespräsident? He would be a great Simbol, but I doubt that he would have wanted the job

Unification wouldn't go as fast as in OTL 1990, there would likely be a national assembly for a Constitution, that would have to include the new borders and a referendum, who knows what woulld happen.

A treaty should include a settlement for German POWs and a UN membership.
Germany might be allowed millitarry partnership with other neutrual contries, like Switzerland, Austria, Sweden or even Yugoslavia...

And I think, the status of Sahrland should be settled as well, no reason to leave that open.

Okay, I'm not going to pretend to know diddly squat about German politics. I had some private messages etching out the details of the borders and troop repatriations and such.

I assumed there would be withdrawal timetable of foreign powers and elections with a UN-backed neutral nations supervisory observation board.

The reunification would probably bar them from making alliances with foreign powers, but maybe there is some sort of coalition between Austria, Switzerland, Germany, and maybe Sweden.

If you have suggestions of who would better be president and chancellor I'd certainly be open to it, I just browsed Wikipedia.

But in the aforementioned scenario Heinemann would not join the Social Democrats. He would lead his own party, the GVP, that gets maybe 3-5% of the vote, but it is in the position of kingmaker. If the GVP,SPD, and FDP don't form a coalition, there's not a majority in the Bundestag, so the President is going to have to step in. (how this gets hashed out depends on who the president is, so if you have suggestions, please don't hesitate.)