Bulwark, Tiger and Blake to the Falklands

Not quite involving the ships in the OP, but since RN/RN carrier are being discussed here, quick question. If there was the willingness for it (read they both receive their intended refits to fly Phantoms, as well as some machinery work to prolong their life), how long could Eagle and Ark Royal have been realistically kept in service? The older US Midways operated until the 1990s.
Eagle most certainly could have operated definitively into the 90s and, depending on how thorough Eagles 1964 rebuild was (if she’d been rebuilt and refitted completely like victorious) she may very well have kept going into the 2000s

Unfortunately, no Winter of Discontent and Labour winning the 1979 General Election won't prevent the 1979 Oil Crisis and the economic recession of 1979-81. When the Conservatives came to power in 1979 they promised to strengthen HM Forces, but the deterioration in the economy resulted in first the cancelling of the expansion plans and second the infamous 1981 Defence Review. If James Callaghan had won in 1979 my suspicion is that there would still be piecemeal defence cuts 1979-80 and a full-scale defence review in 1981 . On the other hand Messrs Callaghan & Healey are likely to have handled the economy rather differently than Mrs Thatcher & Geoffrey Howe. Whether, that would improve, worsen or make no change to HMG's finances 1979-82 is another matter.
Callaghan was extremely critical of the Defence cuts. If he had his hand forced into cutting the military he would have most likely gone after the RAF (anyway it serves them right for getting CVA-01 through 04 cancelled)

If he really wanted to invest in the navy would he not simply buy a new CV as far better value and jobs for labour votes as well? And with hindsight probably good value as it would stop the war....? Just order a pair of modern QE sized CV to replace Ark and Eagle (with existing F4s) rather than the OTL Invincible class? OK first 1 is already ordered in 73, but in 76 Callaghan comes in and can cut last 2, and it could be sold to AUS easily if needed when RN gets it 2 large CVs?

Even more fun timeline if Argentina actually still invades after 1 or 2 are built and Callaghan's follies gets to shine?
That is actually a really good scenario although I imagine illustrious would have already been ordered but the do Aussies Benefit from two carriers replacing both Melbourne and Sydney

Last edited:
If he really wanted to invest in the navy would he not simply buy a new CV as far better value and jobs for labour votes as well? And with hindsight probably good value as it would stop the war....? Just order a pair of modern QE sized CV to replace Ark and Eagle (with existing F4s) rather than the OTL Invincible class? OK first 1 is already ordered in 73, but in 76 Callaghan comes in and can cut last 2, and it could be sold to AUS easily if needed when RN gets it 2 large CVs?

Even more fun timeline if Argentina actually still invades after 1 or 2 are built and Callaghan's follies gets to shine?
I think I might start a thread concerning this scenario

Eagle most certainly could have operated definitively into the 90s and, depending on how thorough Eagles 1964 rebuild was (if she’d been rebuilt and refitted completely like victorious) she may very well have kept going into the 2000s
If that would the case, it's very interesting. Almost bridging the gap to the QEs, or maybe a more sane timeline being a british variant of de Gaulle (rather than the QE hermaphrodite monstrosities- imo no sane decision makers should built a 75,000 ton carrier with severely range and payload limited VTOL planes, VTOL planes should only be used on smaller ships that cannot accomodate CTOL operations) built in the 1990s-2000s as i think some timelines suggest.

Callaghan was extremely critical of the Defence cuts. If he had his hand forced into cutting the military he would have most likely gone after the RAF (anyway it serves them right for getting CVA-01 through 04 cancelled)
Yes

Or BAOR, as the Germans and Beneluc could fill gaps there but not in a naval force or the long range air strike role.

Or how about instead of the three Invincible's built in OTL, the UK instead in 1973 build just two larger Invincible's around 50% larger in length and beam carrying 50 aircraft, 36 x Sea Harriers and 12 x SeaKing HAS's? Would the money spent on three I's cover two larger I's? Any left over £'s could then can go to building SeaKing AEW's.

It will still need the RN to hide the fact that they Harr-Carriers and call them "Through Deck Cruisers" with Commando facilities.

Or how about instead of the three Invincible's built in OTL, the UK instead in 1973 build just two larger Invincible's around 50% larger in length and beam carrying 50 aircraft, 36 x Sea Harriers and 12 x SeaKing HAS's? Would the money spent on three I's cover two larger I's? Any left over £'s could then can go to building SeaKing AEW's.

It will still need the RN to hide the fact that they Harr-Carriers and call them "Through Deck Cruisers" with Commando facilities.
The problem was the hiding (and the design started when they still thought they might get CVA-01 as well...), large ships would have been far better and even not cost much more if you dont add any more expensive system to them.

Last edited:
Could the BOAR be returned to the UK and used as a "Operation Reforger" style force? Surely that would save £££'s for an improved RN?
At the risk that it's not taken seriously and that increase the risk of war? I mean fundamentally stopping the Russian army was probably the most important defence requirement of the Cold War, that it did not happen doesn't mean it did not need to be prepared for unless you have hindsight. If you have to pick losing the Falklands or Europe in the 70s you will pick the Falklands and would be right to do so, one really isnt vital to UK..... Russian army tanks getting to Belgium and French border, then it going nuclear would be.

Did NATO not already have issue with Dutch and Belgium armies not being in place on weekends as they had gone home, If UK takes BOAR home the force is even weaker?

Last edited:
Could the BOAR be returned to the UK and used as a "Operation Reforger" style force? Surely that would save £££'s for an improved RN?
Having served in BOAR there is no way the 55,000 British troops, and all their vehicles and equipment could be found the bases in the UK to accommodate them; and it would be very expensive to relocate all of the above. Even if you left all the kit and just moved back the soldiers there is still not enough base's and accommodation.

The problem was the hiding (and the design started when they still thought they might get CVA-01 as well...), large ships would have been far better and even not cost much more if you dont add any more expensive system to them.
The Invincible class should really have been 10,000 tons larger for the role they ended up performing. It would have made them much more capable but I doubt the RN could have got away with a Through Deck Battlecruiser.

Last edited:
What parts of the RAF would have been cut? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious.

Ramontxo

Donor
If that would the case, it's very interesting. Almost bridging the gap to the QEs, or maybe a more sane timeline being a british variant of de Gaulle (rather than the QE hermaphrodite monstrosities- imo no sane decision makers should built a 75,000 ton carrier with severely range and payload limited VTOL planes, VTOL planes should only be used on smaller ships that cannot accomodate CTOL operations) built in the 1990s-2000s as i think some timelines suggest.
VTOL planes have an ginormeus advantage for any limited forces country (that is anyone but the USA) they can cross deploy from the land based Airforce to the carriers. Even if an Airforce uses navy capable aircrafts (Phantoms, F-18, Scooters etc) they are not carrier deployable if their pilot isn't. It takes a lot of, continuous, training (if using conventional aircrafts) to make an pilot being able to fly from carriers. With an Harrier (or even better an BAE P-125) you can surge your RN carriers with RAF fighters.

Last edited:

50% larger you say.
That would make them 30,000 ton vessels
Hermes was 28,000 tons
If we don’t change the governments then the plans for these larger invincibles would be seen for what they were and cancelled

Why would you build ships that size to operate nine Sea Kings? That's what the INVINCIBLE class were designed to do. They really were helicopter cruisers. They were severely compromised as aircraft carriers by their design as cruisers. It wasn't just a bluff to get them past the Treasury.

As far as running on EAGLE and ARK ROYAL goes, the planning in the early 1960s was for ARK ROYAL to be retired more or less when it was, and for EAGLE to run on until 1984, to be replaced by CVA-03 and CVA-04 respectively. You might get a few more years out of EAGLE, but probably not many more. In material condition terms, both were probably closer to the FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT - retired in 1977 - than to MIDWAY or CORAL SEA.

So having heavy naval gunfire support might make the Vulcan raids to disable the airport unnecessary.
The other half of the reason for the raids was to make the Argentine junta realise that if the UK could hit the Falkland Islands with strategic bombers then they could also hit the mainland, which caused them to modify their deployments. IIRC to the embarrassment of the RAF it was apparently a Royal Navy officer who made the suggestion. Even with the two cruisers reactivated I'd expect them to still occur.