Bulgaria causes WWI: AHC/WI the April Uprising sparks a world war

It's possible that Russia, looking to protect/absorb Balkan Slavs, could get involved, kicking off some kind of chain reaction (maybe Austria or Britain help out the Ottomans?).

Too early for a global war. The network of alliances just isn't there yet. You just get an earlier Russo-Turkish war of 1878, with UK and AH getting their pieces sooner. No one is going to back the Ottomans.

Is there no possible reason for anyone to support the Ottomans? Another minor POD one or two years earlier, or something like that?

I'm sorry for 'bumping', but it'd be really awesome if you guys could share your thoughts on this, because I might be able to write a mini-TL about this during the holidays if I find time :)

Have Russia get more openly and decisively involved sooner, and then that lead to British intervention on behalf of the Turks. Austria too joins in support of the Ottomans so to preserve the status quo, and Serbia and Italy side with Russia and Bulgaria. Greece declares war in support of Bulgaria. I don't know how France and Germany will come down, but both are likely to end up involved.

Have Russia get more openly and decisively involved sooner, and then that lead to British intervention on behalf of the Turks. Austria too joins in support of the Ottomans so to preserve the status quo, and Serbia and Italy side with Russia and Bulgaria. Greece declares war in support of Bulgaria. I don't know how France and Germany will come down, but both are likely to end up involved.

Why would the Britons support Russia? What could be a plausible reason?
And how about Austria? Serbia makes sense, Russia and Serbia always had some sort of unstated alliance. Italy might indeed support the side of the Russians and Bulgarians, because they too had these 'ethnic problems' (you know, they wanted the Italian areas of Austria-Hungary and probably aimed for other areas too, Dalmatia for instance). So it would make sense if the Italians joined the side opposing Austria-Hungary.
You might get Germany on the side of Austria-Hungary too, because, you know, Germans...

A few problems or things to consider, though...

1. The Greeks and Serbs feared Bulgarian dominance in the Balkans. But the Greeks were definetely not going to join the Ottoman side. The Serbs, though, were likely to side with the Austrians (this secret treaty was signed five years after the April Uprising, but I presume there had been sort of an idea about an alliance already).

Wikipedia said:
In September 18, 1885, a rebellion and coup in the Ottoman province of Eastern Rumelia, aided by the Bulgarians, saw the people proclaim a union with the new (1878) state of Bulgaria, in violation of the Berlin Treaty of 1878. The union caused consternation amongst the Great European Powers since it altered the power balance in the repeatedly unstable Balkans, and risked Ottoman retaliation and Russian intervention on behalf of Bulgaria. However tension between Alexander III, the Tsar of Russia and the German born Knyaz (Prince) Alexander I of Bulgaria led to the Russians standing aside, withdrawing their troops from Bulgaria and advocating a conference in Constantinople. While the other great powers in general supported Russia's unexpected position the other Balkan powers did not. Both Greece and Serbia felt threatened by the rise of Bulgarian power and declared war on Bulgaria.
Serbia had signed a secret treaty with Austria-Hungary in 1881, and feeling sure that Austria would support them made territorial demands on its western border with Bulgaria, and on being rebuffed declared war on November 14. However by November 28th Serbia had been defeated by Bulgaria. Further humiliation of Serbia was only prevented by Austrian intervention. Subsequently there was a coup against Alexander I in 1886 who was replaced by the Austriophile (he was the Austrian Emperor's nephew and an officer in the Austrian army) Ferdinand I of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Koháry (1887–1918).
(link)

2. Alexander of Battenberg became the first Prince of Bulgaria in our world's history. Say, he remained important in the 'Bulgarian Question' despite the POD, then he - as a nephew of the Russian Tsar, Alexander II, and born in Austria-Hungary (Verona, which later became part of Italy, to confuse things even more), and son of German nobility - would drag Germany into the war, maybe.

3. How about minorities in Russi during Alexander II's rule? The Poles? The Finnish?

Wikipedia said:
Suppression of separatist movements
At the beginning of his reign, Alexander expressed the famous statement "No dreams" addressed to the Poles who inhabited Congress Poland, Western Ukraine, Lithuania, Livonia and Belarus. The result was the January Uprising of 1863–1864 that was suppressed after eighteen months of fighting. Hundreds of Poles were executed, and thousands were deported to Siberia. The price for suppression was Russian support for the unification of Germany. Years later, Germany and Russia became enemies. All territories of the former Poland-Lithuania were excluded from liberal policies introduced by Alexander. The martial law in Lithuania, introduced in 1863, lasted for the next 40 years. Native languages, Lithuanian, Ukrainian and Belarusian were completely banned from printed texts, the Ems Ukase being an example. The Polish language was banned in both oral and written form from all provinces except Congress Poland, where it was allowed in private conversations only.

Encouraging Finnish nationalism
In 1863, Alexander II re-convened the Diet of Finland and initiated several reforms increasing Finland's autonomy from Russia including establishment of its own currency, the markka. Liberation of business led to increased foreign investment and industrial development. Finland also got its first railways, separately established under Finnish administration. Finally, the elevation of Finnish from a language of the common people to a national language equal to Swedish opened opportunities for a larger proportion of the society. Alexander II is still regarded as "The Good Tsar" in Finland. These reforms could be seen as results of a genuine belief that reforms were easier to test in an underpopulated, homogeneous country, than in the whole of Russia. They may also be seen as a reward for the loyalty of its relatively western-oriented population during the Crimean War and during the Polish uprising. Encouraging Finnish nationalism and language can also be seen as an attempt to dilute ties with Sweden.
(link)

4. How about the League of the Three Emperors? If the Russians and Ottomans are at war, and the British support the Turks, then the Austria-Hungary and Germany might well, according to this alliance, join the Russian side. That conflicts with the theory of Austria-Hungary siding with the Ottomans and British. If they still would, for whatever reason (does anyone have a plausible suggestion?), Austria-Hungary and Germany would end up on opposing sides. That would also be very interesting to see.

Wikipedia said:
The League of the Three Emperors (German: Dreikaiserabkommen, Russian: Союз трёх императоров) was an alliance between Germany, Russia and Austria-Hungary, from 1873 to 1887. Chancellor Otto von Bismarck took full charge of German foreign policy from 1870 to his dismissal in 1890. His goal was a peaceful Europe, based on the balance of power. Bismarck feared that a hostile combination of Austria, France and Russia would crush Germany. If two of them were allied, then the third would ally with Germany only if Germany conceded excessive demands. The solution was to ally with two of the three. In 1873 he formed the League of the Three Emperors, an alliance of the kaiser of Germany, the Tsar of Russia, and the emperor of Austria-Hungary. Together they would control Eastern Europe, making sure that restive ethnic groups such as the Poles were kept in control. The Balkans posed a more serious issue, and Bismarck's solution was to give Austria predominance in the western areas, and Russia in the eastern areas.
(link)

5. There was the Reichstadt Agreement in our world's history in July 1876. This would probably be butterflied away if the conflict had already escalted by then. Still, I think it's important to think about this agreement.

Wikipedia said:
The Reichstadt agreement was an agreement made between Austria-Hungary and Russia in July 1876, who were at that time in an alliance with each other and Germany in the League of the Three Emperors, or Dreikaiserbund. Present were the Russian and Austro-Hungarian emperors together with their foreign ministers, Prince Gorchakov of Russia and Count Andrassy of Austria-Hungary. The closed meeting took place on July 8 in the Bohemian city of Reichstadt (now Zákupy). They agreed on a common approach to the solution of the Eastern question, due to the unrest in the Ottoman Empire and the interests of the two major powers in the Balkans. They discussed the likely Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878, its possible outcomes and what should happen under each scenario.
The later Budapest Convention of 1877 confirmed the main points, but when the war concluded with the Treaty of San Stefano in 1878, the terms of the treaty were quite different leading to Austrian insistence on convening a revision at the Congress of Berlin later that year. These events laid the background for the subsequent Bulgarian Crisis of 1885-1888, and ultimately World War I.

Format
The negotiations took place in a private and almost informal setting. It is significant that the results of the meeting were not written down, so that the Austrian and Russian view of what was agreed on differed significantly. There was neither a signed formal convention nor even a signed protocol. The minutes were dictated separately by both Andrassy and by Gorchakov suggesting that neither side really trusted the other side. The extent of agreed Austrian annexation in Bosnia and Herzegovina has remained controversial. It was these inconsistencies that necessitated further discussions at the Constantinople Conference and the subsequent Budapest Convention, though these largely confirmed or amended the Reichstadt discussions.

Terms of the agreement
The Balkan Christians would gain a measure of independence.
Austria would allow Russia to make gains in Bessarabia and the Caucasus.
Russia would allow Austria to gain Bosnia.

Implications
This effectively meant that Austria was assuring Russia to stay out of a war between Russia and the Ottoman Empire. It also meant that the Austrians and the Russians were agreeing on how the Balkans would be split up in the case of a Russian victory.
(link)
Looking at what I underlined, we can see that the Austrians and Russians did not really trust on another, which might open up again the possibility of Austria-Hungary joining the Ottomans.

---

I guess it is all quite complicated, but a chain reaction initiating a global war does not sound very implausible.

Why would the Britons support Russia? What could be a plausible reason?
And how about Austria? Serbia makes sense, Russia and Serbia always had some sort of unstated alliance. Italy might indeed support the side of the Russians and Bulgarians, because they too had these 'ethnic problems' (you know, they wanted the Italian areas of Austria-Hungary and probably aimed for other areas too, Dalmatia for instance). So it would make sense if the Italians joined the side opposing Austria-Hungary.
You might get Germany on the side of Austria-Hungary too, because, you know, Germans...
I said that Britain would support the Ottomans :confused:

A few problems or things to consider, though...

1. The Greeks and Serbs feared Bulgarian dominance in the Balkans. But the Greeks were definetely not going to join the Ottoman side. The Serbs, though, were likely to side with the Austrians (this secret treaty was signed five years after the April Uprising, but I presume there had been sort of an idea about an alliance already).

(link)
That would be interesting, possibly having Serbia, Austria, and Russia on the same side, or Austria and Serbia on one side opposing Russia. The problem with either idea is that it's in the interests of Serbia (and Greece for that matter) to expand, and that will not happen if they side with the Turks instead of fighting them. Remember, this before Stan Stefano; Bulgaria has big dreams, but very small frontiers. If Serbia and Greece side with Bulgaria, then they are in a position to achieve faits accompli in any peace serrlement, thereby checking Bulgarian expansion.
2. Alexander of Battenberg became the first Prince of Bulgaria in our world's history. Say, he remained important in the 'Bulgarian Question' despite the POD, then he - as a nephew of the Russian Tsar, Alexander II, and born in Austria-Hungary (Verona, which later became part of Italy, to confuse things even more), and son of German nobility - would drag Germany into the war, maybe.
Not relevant. Later on in our timeline, Kaiser Wilhelm and Tsar NIcholas II were first cousins and went to war anyway.
3. How about minorities in Russi during Alexander II's rule? The Poles? The Finnish?

(link)
This would only become an issue if Germany and Russia were on opposing sides, and/or if the gains of the latter at the expense of Austria-Hungary resulted in postwar upheavals. The Finns were relatively well off for a people subject to the Tsars historically, and the Poles would need outside support, the likeliest of which is German, but that depends on Germany being on the side opposing Russia which is far from certain.
4. How about the League of the Three Emperors? If the Russians and Ottomans are at war, and the British support the Turks, then the Austria-Hungary and Germany might well, according to this alliance, join the Russian side. That conflicts with the theory of Austria-Hungary siding with the Ottomans and British. If they still would, for whatever reason (does anyone have a plausible suggestion?), Austria-Hungary and Germany would end up on opposing sides. That would also be very interesting to see.

(link)
The alliance, per your link, had broken down by 1875, and would likely not have been renewed (if at all) until after this war.

5. There was the Reichstadt Agreement in our world's history in July 1876. This would probably be butterflied away if the conflict had already escalted by then. Still, I think it's important to think about this agreement.

(link)
Looking at what I underlined, we can see that the Austrians and Russians did not really trust on another, which might open up again the possibility of Austria-Hungary joining the Ottomans.

---

Perhaps, but not likely.

I guess it is all quite complicated, but a chain reaction initiating a global war does not sound very implausible.

Indeed.

The Great Game was in full force. The last thing Britain wants is the Russian Navy with bases in the Med. This was the point of the Crimean War, only such events had become likelier anyway.

Okay, thank you. Now I understand why the British would be keen to side with th Turks!

That would be interesting, possibly having Serbia, Austria, and Russia on the same side, or Austria and Serbia on one side opposing Russia. The problem with either idea is that it's in the interests of Serbia (and Greece for that matter) to expand, and that will not happen if they side with the Turks instead of fighting them. Remember, this before Stan Stefano; Bulgaria has big dreams, but very small frontiers. If Serbia and Greece side with Bulgaria, then they are in a position to achieve faits accompli in any peace serrlement, thereby checking Bulgarian expansion.
For Serbia, it would perhaps make sense to side with the Bulgarians, to expand and check Bulgarian expansion, and also because they didn't really like the Ottomans. After all, the Serbs and Ottomans had quite a few wars and the Ottomans had also conquered quite a lot of Serb-majority areas (parts of Bosnia and the Banat, for example).
However, Greece doesn't seem very likely to side with the Bulgarians to me, because Thrace always was an area of conflict between Turkey or the Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria, and Greece. I don't think the Bulgarians and Greeks will agree upon the division of Thrace and I can't think of a good reason for the Greeks to join the Bulgarians. Or... wait a moment... well, they will never join the Ottoman side, surely... So, perhaps it's most plausible if they first try to stay neutral, but since that becomes impossible in the global war that started in the Balkans, they join the Bulgarians to fight Ottoman aggression.

Now, a totally different question: how can France and Germany, and possibly other countries, like Spain, the United States, Sweden, Mexico, Japan or China (just naming some random countries, to be honest) get involved?

For Serbia, it would perhaps make sense to side with the Bulgarians, to expand and check Bulgarian expansion, and also because they didn't really like the Ottomans. After all, the Serbs and Ottomans had quite a few wars and the Ottomans had also conquered quite a lot of Serb-majority areas (parts of Bosnia and the Banat, for example).
However, Greece doesn't seem very likely to side with the Bulgarians to me, because Thrace always was an area of conflict between Turkey or the Ottoman Empire, Bulgaria, and Greece. I don't think the Bulgarians and Greeks will agree upon the division of Thrace and I can't think of a good reason for the Greeks to join the Bulgarians. Or... wait a moment... well, they will never join the Ottoman side, surely... So, perhaps it's most plausible if they first try to stay neutral, but since that becomes impossible in the global war that started in the Balkans, they join the Bulgarians to fight Ottoman aggression.
Consider though Greek foreign policy in this period, and the nationalist diesire in the country to expand north and east. The only thing that might keep Greece out of the war is British pressure, possibly backed by France.
Now, a totally different question: how can France and Germany, and possibly other countries, like Spain, the United States, Sweden, Mexico, Japan or China (just naming some random countries, to be honest) get involved?
Well, it could be a world war in that colonial fighting happens, but it's not likely for anyone outside of Europe to get in on this except Persia. Maybe Japan is a possibility, but it's not likely and would be more of a nuisance to Russia than an actual threat given that we're essentially just a decade removed from the Meiji restoration.
No idea, but this would be Russia's axis.

Already discussed ;)

Consider though Greek foreign policy in this period, and the nationalist diesire in the country to expand north and east. The only thing that might keep Greece out of the war is British pressure, possibly backed by France.

But what side would they choose in desire of future expansion (areas granted to them after a succesful war)?

Well, it could be a world war in that colonial fighting happens, but it's not likely for anyone outside of Europe to get in on this except Persia. Maybe Japan is a possibility, but it's not likely and would be more of a nuisance to Russia than an actual threat given that we're essentially just a decade removed from the Meiji restoration.
Don't get me wrong, I hate any type of war, especially world wars. Still, I'm interested in how this could develop into a global war. Firstly, what do you mean with Persia? How? Second: Japan, how?
Thirdly, I was wondering, what implications will the fact that the Berlin Conference had not occurred yet (so the Scramble of Africa had not been finished yet) have?
Is United States intervention possible under certain circumstances?
And how about France and Germany? I gather they can't stay out of the conflict, but on which sides would they end up?

One last thing, I read this:
Wikipedia said:
Despite German victory in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, the violence remained fresh in the newly united state’s memory and made Germany reluctant to antagonize the French, but keen as ever to limit their power. According to the coalition, radical socialist bodies like the First International represented one of the other key threats to regional stability and dominance. For this reason, the League actively opposed the expansion of their influence. The League also met crisis in the East where Bulgarian unrest elicited violent reaction from the Ottoman forces there, which in turn met with horror from observing states. The account of the insurrection from an Englishman named Sir Edwin Pears both describes the atrocities in gruesome detail and reveals British surprise at their extent.
(link)
This describes that the French and Germans were very hostile to each other in this time period. But that's not so significant, I mean, obvious. But it also tells that many British people condemned the Ottoman oppression of the Bulgarians, so does it make a lot of sense then, if the British side with the Turks?

And to escalate the war even more, what if...

Wikipedia said:
On the morning of 20 April 1879, Alexander was briskly walking towards the Square of the Guards Staff and faced Alexander Soloviev, a 33-year-old former student. Having seen a menacing revolver in his hands, the Emperor fled in a zigzag pattern. Soloviev fired five times but missed. He was hanged on 28 May, after being sentenced to death.
(link)
...what if Alexander Soloviev had attempted (in this timeline succesfully) to kill Alexander II in 1876 instead of 1879, just before the outbreak of the war that would develop into World War I? What would the implications be?

We might well also have to discuss the Montenegrin-Ottoman War and the Herzegovina Uprising...

Also, how would Denmark, Spain and Sweden-Norway react to the continuously 'growing' war? And how about tensions between Hungarians and Austrians in their empire?

katchen

Banned
I could see this dovetailing with an American Civil War in a TL in which the Civil War Crisis got postponed from 1860 by either Stephen Douglas winning the 1860 Election or more likely, by Crittinden's last minute compromise guaranteeing slavery where it already existed,(and extending it to New Mexico Territory) going through and into effect.
To wit: (from n.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crittenden_Compromise
Amendments to the Constitution

1. Slavery would be prohibited in any territory of the United States "now held, or hereafter acquired," north of latitude 36 degrees, 30 minutes line. In territories south of this line, slavery of the African race was "hereby recognized" and could not be interfered with by Congress. Furthermore, property in African slaves was to be "protected by all the departments of the territorial government during its continuance." States would be admitted to the Union from any territory with or without slavery as their constitutions provided.
  2. Congress was forbidden to abolish slavery in places under its jurisdiction within a slave state such as a military post.
  3. Congress could not abolish slavery in the District of Columbia so long as it existed in the adjoining states of Virginia and Maryland and without the consent of the District's inhabitants. Compensation would be given to owners who refused consent to abolition.
  4. Congress could not prohibit or interfere with the interstate slave trade.
  5. Congress would provide full compensation to owners of rescued fugitive slaves. Congress was empowered to sue the county in which obstruction to the fugitive slave laws took place to recover payment; the county, in turn, could sue "the wrong doers or rescuers" who prevented the return of the fugitive.
  6. No future amendment of the Constitution could change these amendments or authorize or empower Congress to interfere with slavery within any slave state.
Congressional resolutions

1. That fugitive slave laws were constitutional and should be faithfully observed and executed.
  2. That all state laws which impeded the operation of fugitive slave laws, the so-called "Personal liberty laws," were unconstitutional and should be repealed.
  3. That the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850 should be amended (and rendered less objectionable to the North) by equalizing the fee schedule for returning or releasing alleged fugitives and limiting the powers of marshals to summon citizens to aid in their capture.
  4. That laws for the suppression of the African slave trade should be effectively and thoroughly executed.

This compromise might well have passed if William Seward had gotten the Republican nomination for President on the first ballot. Seward, as a newly entering Secretary of State was far less militant than Abraham Lincoln. He expressed sentiments in favour of allowing the South to secede rather than take the US into war to suppress the South. Seward surely would have supported a compromise to avert secession, and by making it clear to his party in Congress that he WOULD stand by and allow secession to occur if the compromise didn't pass, probably could have persuaded enough Congresspeople and state legislators to pass the compromise.

But Crittinden's Compromise (and the existence of a half slave U.S. which would continue so indefinitely) would threaten to derail the worldwide momentum toward Abolition of slavery that Great Britain was spearheading. Possible points of friction in the 1860s would be 1. US intervention in Mexico provoked by French intervention in Mexico. Unlike OTL, and unlike in 1848, this time, US annexation of Mexico would be seen by southerners as the only way for the South to expand and to gain parity with the North in terms of numbers of new slave states. So any US intervention in Mexico could easily now be a prelude to US annexation as slave territory, since Mexico is south of 36 degrees, 30 minutes.
2. Southern US orvertures to Cuban "secessionists from Spain" now that Spain was looking toward abolition of slavery in Cuba, which at that time OTL, it was (1873). A Cuban (and Puerto Rican) secession followed by annexation by the US to preserve slavery there would be another provocation
and 3. The purchase of slaves from the Pacific Islands, which are non-African and therefore not covered by US constitutional prohibitions on AFRICAN slave trade. The "blackbirding" of Pacific Islanders (Polynesians and Melanesians) was becoming prevalent at that time, and due to the geography of the Pacific, beyond the capacity of the UK's Royal Navy to interdict.If Mexico was in US hands, slaves could be landed on the Sonora Coast of the Gulf of California or anywhere in the Pacific. And even if not, once in the country, California probably could not (and with no way to send them home, probably would not) interfere with slave trafficking across it's territory to Arizona-New Mexico. This would be another point of friction, especially once blackbirding spreads to New Guinea, close to Australia.:mad: I would not even put it past Colonial Australians who wanted Australia's Aboriginals gone to kidnap and illegally traffick in Aboriginals as slaves destined for the US. :mad::mad:.
(Not that the illegal trafficking in Africans --or African Brazilians or even free African Colombians--would stop completely despite enforcement efforts. (After all, the US is unable to prevent trafficking to or within the US IOTL today).
All of these issues would lead to ever worsening relations and increasing tensions with Great Britain during the 1860s and early 1870s. And very likely to an American naval buildup to counter the UK, which unlike most European nations, the US has the resources and the harbours to accomplish. If the UK finally embargoes cotton or any other product manufactured with slave labour, the US would be casting about for other markets, from which Central Europe and Russia would be obvious.

Despite an aversion to slavery on the part of Germans, Russians and Austrio-Hungarians, an alliance between the League of the Three Emperors and the US would not be out of question under these circumstances, particularly if and when the UK puts it's weight behind protecting the status quo and the Ottoman Empire. The Central Powers will need an ally that can at least potentially match the UK navally and the US is that power. Also, all four powers are challenging and rejecting the hegemony of the United Kingdom and it's right to be the arbiter of international law and morality, much as Russia and China and Iran today reject the hegemony of the United States IOTL. On that basis alone, there is grounds for an alliance---and a buildup to a truly world war between the US and the Central European nations and Western Europe (UK and France and Netherlands) supporting the Ottoman Empire even if it means the three Emperors accepting the legitimacy of Americans owning other human beings. :(:mad:

Last edited:
Which makes no sense, as the British piled on the Turks in 1878 OTL

No, the British were a key factor in preventing the destruction of the Ottoman Empire. What's different is that under OTL circumstances, the confluct was contained to the extent that most of the relevant powers could essentially stay out of the fighting, including Britain.