Buddhism is not popular

What if Buddihism, instead of welcome, is prosecuted in all areas except India. How would this change the present political structure of the globe?

Funny thing is, Buddhism isn't even that popular in India right now.

China's the biggest difference I can think of off the top of my head-- I just (as in less than a week ago) did a small research paper on Buddhism in China, and what struck me was how varying was Buddhism's luck there. It's gone through so many cycles of growth, establishment, and repression there that I can't think of a good metaphor or anything to finish the sentence with.

Anyways, Buddhism definitely influenced Chinese schools of thought, having played a role in philosophical thought and debate through much of the latter half of the first millennia AD, not to mention its contributions to medicine and politics. Why, if not for Buddhism I'd suspect the Northern Wei dynasty wouldn't have lasted nearly as long as it did in OTL.

Keenir

Banned
What if Buddihism, instead of welcome, is prosecuted in all areas except India. How would this change the present political structure of the globe?

the Buddhists and Shia would commiserate about shared persecutions, and both would have multiple words for "martyr" and other concepts.

beyond that, no idea; sorry.

well I honestly have no idea how it ever got popular. I mean how does a giant ass fat guy who was born rich get off telling people to have self discipline

Hmm, no Buddhism outside India?

That would radically change East Asian culture, for one thing, not to mention the Indian Subcontinent.

It also depends on which school of Buddhism survives after Asoka.

Wow, I have no idea exactly what form the changes would take, but SE Asia and China and Korea, and definitely Japan would be so radically changed as to be unrecognizable in a lot of aspects.

well I honestly have no idea how it ever got popular. I mean how does a giant ass fat guy who was born rich get off telling people to have self discipline

Actually, IIRC Siddhartha Gautama was extremely emaciated for most of his life. The fat Buddhist is Ho tei, a Chinese figure.

PaleHorseRiding said:

That's sarcasm, right? ...Right!?!

To ban buddhism though would entail banning a lot of regular philisophical thought.
So quite big differences.

It's true that Hinduism prevailed in the long run, but in the past, Buddhism became one of the major Indian religions, if not the biggest one, esp. under emperor Ashoka.